Home General Discussion

Community Made MMORPG

Yw4ex.png
Crimson Haze is a community built MMORPG. The goal being to assemble the artists, writers, musicians, actors, programmers and game designers of the world for one giant project. Literally made by the people, for the people. Serving as a game we all want to play, and simultaneously proof of our collective talent in each of our respective fields. Thousands of pieces of portfolio art, animations and music are made each year, why not put them in something, and make a game that is greater than the sum of its parts?

Crimson Haze will be work, it will be play, and it will be a community phenomenon.

INFQN.png
I've been writing game design documents since the age of ten, and drawing monsters since the age of three (crayon on walls). It is my unwavering dream to be a game designer, but not just that. Because I love to make a large variety of art: written, 3d, 2d, musical, I'd really like to be a jack of all trades. This opportunity no longer exists in major game companies. This coupled with the difficulty I've faced trying to get a game design job, is why I'm spearheading my own game. But instead of putting together a small team that will most likely fall apart when they lose interest or time, I will use a massive team, over a long span of time to make a game unlike any other.

It should also be no surprise that this different form of development, design, and management has intrinsic potential. When people with good ideas, meet people with other good ideas, they become great ideas.

It's my belief that every reader is a writer, every art lover an artist, every movie goer a director, and every gamer, a designer. But not until the internet has there been an invention that can truly unite every mind on the planet to collectively create a single, gigantic and amazing work of art.

Let's be the first.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wPjcdDz1J0[/ame]

http://crimsonhaze.maxforum.org/

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Could you link to some 'about' page? or paste the info here?
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    I remember when I joined a project like this. Took about three years, and all we ended up with was a bad hangman game, piles of concept art with no clear theme to them, and one character model.

Amaze us with your brilliance.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The forum itself look like an MMO!

Interesting idea, and best of luck.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    This reminds me of this video that XenoKratios posted in the Thread of Awesomeness.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NugRZGDbPFU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I'm just worried that this project may be a bit to large and extended, and it will take a long long time, and that you find that artists would likely loose interest after a while if they don't see the project moving along.

I'm not saying it's going to be impossible, but it will require alot of work from the leader(assuming it's you?) and possible telling people what to do. If someone joins, ask them what they do, what they would want to do, and assign a task.

And i have to say, that forum is super intimidating. 8 forums and 74?(i know it's around 70) sub forums

It's better to start smaller with a few core features, and once those have been achieved, expand, add new ones etc.

Minecraft is a very good example of this.

But in all honesty, good luck with this, quite keen to see how you approach it, and how it progresses.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    A single programmer and artist can get more done that a massive team with no direction. Some wisdom for projects I heard somewhere, I think on this forum. This is a neat idea and is rather interesting, I have some lead experience so even if I don't join I could shoot some management suggestions your way.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Alemja wrote: »
    A single programmer and artist can get more done that a massive team with no direction. Some wisdom for projects I heard somewhere, I think on this forum. This is a neat idea and is rather interesting, I have some lead experience so even if I don't join I could shoot some management suggestions your way.

I agree with you Alemja, and also with kaptainkernals. There used to be a game simply called "Project Offset", which was shaping up to be one of the best games ever built. It was a small team of 20 or so people and I'm not sure why, but Intel bought the rights to their engine. Intel being a huge company everyone thought that this game will come out sooner than we thought!

What I'm getting at is that Intel made it so that people on the internet could give them models that they would implement in the game. It started out somewhat good, but now the project is dead. I think the original team is working on something else (Fractiv LLC)but who knows....

They even changed the website to this... http://software.intel.com/en-us/visual-computing/

Their engine was to amazing to have this done to it.. I wonder how they feel.. The engine was aparently bought by Red 5 Studio, for their upcoming MMO, Firefall. To he honest, not to sure about whats going on there.

I guess having having a small team will be better, since when you involve the community, this might occur. Although no one really knows... we can only make judgments from past events.

If you have a strong idea of what you want, I would love to contribute some models.

Edit: At a loss of words.. here's Firefall. Those crawling creatures look VERY similar to the ones in Borderlands.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-CdQmxH96M[/ame]
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elhrrah

yeah, thats a product of poor management, lack of vision, and allowing every single different piece of art to become concept art.

I think one of the biggest challenges with a project like this is maintaining a kind of consistency between the 100's of different people that may contribute something. I obviously can't make a 6 year old's stick figure official concept art, and make a model ripped out of a WoW MPQ an in game model. This is where having a manager will help this project. If there is just a mishmash of ideas and people telling each other what to do, and no hierarchy of command, nothing will get done.

Thanks Elrrah

@Emil

Yeah, I just wanted really good organization for everything, and I'll take any tips on how to make it even more organized if anyone's got them...

Thanks Emil

@Kaptainkernals

Great video man! I hadn't seen this before I started this idea, but it's kind of proof of concept for what I want to do. I agree that pooling ideas together, freely, globally, can only better mankind and enhance every aspect of our lives.

As far as your concerns of it surviving, I'll repost my post regarding a related comment on GameDev.net.
    I've tried to join up with several mmorpg projects over the last year, several already with impressive screenshots and "teams". The problem I end up finding is no one is as devoted to the game and the work as much as I am. So instead of trying to form a team that will break up and inevitably fail as so many indie game, and indie mmo projects do, I've decided on a team philosophy that welcomes abandonment with open arms.

It doesn't matter how much help I get, it doesn't matter if people quit, it doesn't matter if someone joins up to make just one model. Every bit will help, and the rock through the entire project will be myself. If there's anything I've got going for myself, its that i have a fair number of different skills. Basically what I'm saying is I'm going to work on this, and make it no matter what, no matter who helps me.

Every single time I put a team together, every time I set a schedule, every time I try to make a game with other people, I fail. Without money I have found it to be simply impossible to motivate people through a project beginning to end. So instead I will take a little content, from a lot of people, and make a game. This could take 5 years, it could take 10, it doesn't matter to me, its what I want to do, its what I like to do.

Thanks Kaptainkernals

@Alemja

Then I guess I just haven't found the right programmer and artist. I've tried, believe me I've tried, more locally than over the web, and I just keep failing.

I wouldn't mind some of those management suggestions! Thanks for your help Alemja.

@XenoKratios

Ahhh, the dangers of selling out. This game will never be something that can be bought or sold. I doubt a company would ever pick it up even if it started to garner momentum and public interest, simply too much paper work and tracking who made what! I don't intend to make money off of this directly. I might get some good portfolio pieces, I might get some industry recognition, and that's really all I want.
    I also want people to be able to freely contribute and play this game. As the game grows maybe contributions will be the monthly fee, or something cool like that. I really think games like WoW or Everquest or even FPS's would really take the industry to the next level if they had customization and player made content like Spore, or this project.

@Everyone Thanks so much for not just trolling this. Every person contributed something reasonable and meaningful, and that gives me hope.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    No offense but this is overly ambitious, a good designer knows how to reduce the scope of his project. AFAIK you haven't made any games yet and you've chosen the most difficult genre in the industry, learn to walk before you attempt a Triathlon. I'd suggest paring it down to a single player RPG, learn from that and if you still want to, expand it into an MMO. Even a single player RPG is pretty ambitious, look at BRAID, that took 3 years and $200,000 of Jonathan Blow's own money.

As far as advice for art & content here's mine: Reduce, Re-use, Recycle! Every asset made has to get a butt-load of use, re-use textures as much as possible. A small team doesn't have the luxury of making every town have unique architecture: make 3-4 medieval houses and use them throughout the whole game! Look at Oblivion: they used the same ruins & dungeon sets throughout the whole game, they just wrote a back-story saying they were all built by the same ancient race of people.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justin_Meisse

Well Justin, I've been trying to work on smaller projects. First an XNA shmup for dream build play, then a single player action rpg, then a small android game, and several projects that I joined up with as an artist. They've all failed. I've had a lot of trouble finding people that have as much drive as I do. So other than making a clone of myself that likes math and can program, this seems like the next best option.

This new project will welcome abandonment with open arms, if someone joins up, makes one model for the game, and leaves, that's perfectly fine. That's a luxury that simply does not exist in a commercial game title. People are making portfolio pieces anyways, that's not going to stop, so why not use them in a game!?
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Justin_Meisse, I rather see a community built (Action?) RPG game rather than a massive multiplayer game that you are trying to achieve.

I admire your ideas achillesian, but the project just seems HUGE. A smaller oblivion type dungeon crawler would be more fun and much easier to make, not just for you, but also for the community.

There is always a place for more content, thats inevitable for most games today, since people long for more gameplay for the titles they love.

Just something to think about I guess, before this is all blown up.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    achillesian, I know how you feel; it's something I can relate to. Although I've been fortunate these last few years, it's taken an exceedingly long time for me to find a path I was happy with.

Please consider this advice, although not asked for. The answer to a string of failed smaller projects is not a huge projects, it's an ever smaller project.

I'll write more on this subject later as I've work to do now. But I assure you I know how you feel, and your best bet is to go smaller, not bigger.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly what I wanted to say :).

I would love to help you in a smaller, much more unique game, rather than a huge WoW like game.

:) For example:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njUc2gR4ieY[/ame]
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK wrote: »
    your best bet is to go smaller, not bigger.

What is the difference? With either project I get evidence of my design skills, more portfolio pieces, and experience. As per the suggestions of other polycounters, this is exactly what I need to be doing.

My new project fulfills these basic needs, but it also tackles something else, something significantly more valuable than just portfolio fodder; recognition. To my knowledge, something like this has never been done before, and resulted in success.

Outcomes:

Success:thumbup::thumbup:
    If it takes off and becomes popular, and people all around the world begin to help me build an amazing game, I get press, I get a name, I'm now a game designer people have heard of. I finish my degree. I have a chance at getting a job.

Failure:thumbup:
    Nobody ever helps me, I sit alone in my room for 4 years and make the game myself, get a shit-ton more portfolio pieces than I expected, I have a game under my belt that runs, that I made. I finish my degree. I have a chance at getting a job.

Either of these outcomes makes me happy, and ultimately follows the instruction given to me by my parents and fellow polycounters in my digipen thread.

Thanks for your advice though Peterk

@XenoKratios

I don't intend for this to be a WoW-clone. Just like Cliffy B. didn't intend for Gears of War to be a Kill.Switch or RE4 clone. I take the good ideas and drop kick the bad.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Suppose you joined up with the folks in the official collaboration forum right here on PC?
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Failure
    Nobody ever helps me, I sit alone in my room for 4 years and make the game myself, get a shit-ton more portfolio pieces than I expected, I have a game under my belt that runs, that I made. I finish my degree. I have a chance at getting a job.

Either of these outcomes makes me happy, and ultimately follows the instruction given to me by my parents and fellow polycounters in my digipen thread
    One thing you forget is, if you work 4 years on this alone, you might miss the chance of working on some really cool, potentially awesome games, with very nice poeple, who eventualy might help you find a job or something..
    Anyways, good luck with whatever you do :), my advice, if you want to hear it, is: keep it small.
  • cgmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgmonkey polycounter lvl 18
    For the past 4 years I've been involved in several commercial MMORPG projects working for one of the top mmo developers in the industry on senior positions being involved in every aspect of the development from conception to live-environment.

Listen to me carefully, If you want a job in the industry; create small games that show you're a problem solver and critical thinker. Learn what you can prioritize and spend time on, features that matter and features that don't to make the best possible products within the time scope. Use Scirra Construct and make awesome games, if you have a knack for it you will get job _easily_ if you don't, you've just wasted 4 years of your life doing the insurmountable task of creating an mmo without experience.

Excuse me, you sound extremely naive and blue-eyed to the problem. You even know how much money is spent solely on Server farms to sustain players? No, you can't host it in your bedroom. What is your production schedule? Your vertical slice? What's your player churn rate to break even financially? If you've started with making a story and artwork, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. If you think you know what it takes, you don't, simply because it is not doable for a single person to know what it takes. If you think somehow you are a superhuman who actually can -- You're delusional. Why am I being this harsh? Because I know how it feels wanting to make that dream mmo so badly, I know that you think no matter what I say you can still do it. You can't and it will hinder you getting into the industry ......

Anyway -- sorry, just want to make sure you read this: Make small doable games, do plenty of them. Small stepping stones.

If you're still convinced that you can do it and that you will do it the coming 4 years then I will not stop you :)

Good Luck in any case...

~Björn
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry dude, you won't finish the current design you have written up in 4 years, I did some calculations and it's more like 40 years.

If you want to see an MMO that was done by one guy check out LOVE

He made some drastic choices to be able to make it himself: art is a huge chunk of the time budget so he decided to go abstract and chunky, there are no quests or voiceovers, it's basically a sandbox world.

Check out Minecraft, Notch has been working on it for about 2 years, people have estimated it has made him about $1 million after taxes so far and professional designers rave about Minecraft.

On the other hand there's the fan made Kings Quest sequel, i haven't tried it yet but I'm not super impressed, they had about 10 years of development on a single player point and click adventure game, about 1/10 of the scope of your project:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaj_aGRU1DI[/ame]
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snowfly

Yeah, I considered that, however most of my strengths are in a design/management position. I simply don't have the skill to be a lead artist which is what the community aspect of the unofficial polycount project is looking for. My stuff would probably look so bad compared to the others, it wouldn't get used. And I doubt pc mods would want me to open another subforum for my project, which from the general consensus is doomed to failure.

Thanks for the suggestion though Snowfly.

@osman

Well osman, like I've said I've been trying to work on projects with other people, both projects I've designed and managed and projects where I just did art. I've yet to find a group devoted enough to stick with a project, and I end up being the last person working on it, and going nowhere. Again this is why this new project is made to facilitate abandonment. In my experience, it is simply not possible to motivate, or find people motivated, without money. Maybe this is a result of economic downturn, declining interest in making games... I don't know, I just know its not working. So I'm trying something new.

Thanks osman.

@cgmonkey

Your truthiness is refreshing, but its like you're missing the big picture. This isn't a commercial mmorpg, this isn't being made by a "team", this doesn't have a schedule, this isn't what you've been doing for the past 4 years.

This game won't be supporting a million players any time remotely soon or maybe ever, and dealing with a hundred players, or even 1000 isn't that expensive. Project 1999 supports about 600 players at all times average, and is completely ad/donation supported. Minions of Mirth does the same, and is supported by a 1 time fee premium version, ads and donations. Making direct connections to AAA mmorpg's is simply dumb. This isn't like them, and doesn't aim to be.

The pay2play system is dying, this is just the next nail in the coffin. WARonline has a free version, EQ2 has a free version, LOTRO has a free version, DDO has a free version, these games are dropping like flies. It's clear as day these games are losing clientele and losing money. If you work on any of these, I'd get out while you still can.

This genre needs something new and fresh. I want to give to MMORPG's what Spore gave to sp strategy; player made content.

Thanks for the read though cgmonkey, it's nice knowing what someone actually inside the industry thinks about this. Tell your friends!

@Justin_meisse

Yeah Justin I know I've set my goals high. In reading the Vanguard post mortems by Brad McQuaid I really got a feeling of sadness, an EPIC amount of content and gameplay mechanics were cut out of the game, and basically brought the game to its knees, turning it into just another mmo when it could've been so much more. Because of time, money and publisher constraints the game was dumbed-down into something I consider uninteresting and almost unplayable, and the internet community agrees. They're down to 2 servers and its still hard to find people to play with.

This project isn't just something to help me get portfolio pieces, get recognized, and get a job. Its a dream, and one I will continue to work on long after I get into the industry, if I do at all. For a game designer, its not about the money or success, its about doing what you love.

And I unwaveringly, unquestioning, irrefutably, love designing games more than anything else in this world. I've been making board games, drawing uis, making level maps and drawing monsters since before I can remember.

Minecraft is quite impressive, and along with Spore is a major influence on this whole idea. Introducing player made content into games adds a sense of pride and love for a game that will hook players for days at a time. Seriously which elicits more pride and emotion in someone, painting a kickass mural in the middle of a city for people to enjoy, or winning a new cloak in a WoW raid. One inspires and transfigures people, and one just creates grief and jealousy.

Thanks for your continued interest and criticisms Justin.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You don't like making games, game art or people. You just want to boss folks around, crap out some idea and get angry when nobody did it. The sooner you realize this you can move on with your life. And if you're lucky, develop the hindsight to sleep on a thought before you blurt it out.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    You don't like making games, game art or people. You just want to boss folks around, crap out some idea and get angry when nobody did it. The sooner you realize this you can move on with your life. And if you're lucky, develop the hindsight to sleep on a thought before you blurt it out.

I do like making games. I do like making game art, I just wish I was better at it. And I've yet to make a person, I think I'd rather adopt since so many people make people on accident and mistreat them.

I'm not sure where you got these ideas, but it may have something to do with your high school reading comprehension scores.

Maybe this thread should get past: don't do it and move on to: fuck it, he's going to do it regardless, how can we help or even: fuck it, he won't listen, there's no helping him, I'll stop posting.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    achillesian - actually i was suggesting you join up with the community project and see if you can shape some gameplay out of the assets they're making, not join them as an artist since that's obviously not where your interests lie. and in this case the assets will actually be accessible in a repository...so how about trying to see if you can get some synergy going with a team, without trying to be the headliner?

also cgmonkey does make a good point about the cost of running the infrastructure to support an MMO, which seemed to have gone over your head completely. yet people are running their own private WOW servers which support of thousands of players. still not cheap, but appropriate to the scope you're shooting for.

i've worked on a couple of MMO's as well. without going into detail, it's a clusterfuck. you talk about building up your rep as a designer, yet you've set up a forum panhandling for ideas? the bullet points you've put on there are vague and pipe dreams at best, without any hint of how you plan to implement them so i suggest before cramming too many cooks in the kitchen build up a solid fundamental design on your own, but i have to warn you it's hard work and may take a few years.... :p
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I'm done with this, you're a kid who has unprecedented access to people with years of experience and you choose to ignore all the advice. Do you think we are telling you to pare your idea back a bit because we're mean? It's because we've been in your shoes.

but anyway, I'm done, adios.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    If you are dead-set on making an MMO start by getting a principal idea outlining gameplay mechanics, story and a business model. Even if you aren't going to sell this game you will have overhead such as toolset costs, server costs etc.

Once you get a half way decent idea and business model break it down into a production tree.
    IE
    -concepting
    -game design
    -UI setup
    -Engine Setup(more overhead here :)!!)
    -player controls
    -game theory
    -programmer toolsets (including dummy models/rigs for intitial setup)

Another aspect that goes along with this whole thing is finding people to do the work.

Move on to storytelling and its relation to player interaction:
    -storyboards
    -scripts
    -player interaction and viewing theory (IE cutscenes or ingame triggers etc)

As this phase of production starts to near completion move on to iterating the Art pipeline on top of it.
    IE
    -Concepting again (model sheets/matte paintings etc)

-blockouts(have to make sure your art will fit well with the previously established game design}

-modeling/UVing (incorporate feedback from programmers/engine techs riggers and texture artists to ensure that the model is well optimized to current engine limitations and for best deformation pixel density etc)

-texturing (incorporate feedback from tech artists to make sure textures are optimized to display correctly with engine compression techniques and that your maps are supported by the engine toolset)

-Rigging (incorp feedback from tech artists again to insure that rig is compatible with engine)

-Animation (Incorp feedback yet again from tech artists to insure maximum quality on import into engine remember the engine will compress your animations on import so you will need to make sure that the export/import doesn't muddy up your animation work)

-Lighting and Post Processing This comes into play as various chunks of level work and scenes come together someone needs to be dedicated to bringing it all together in the editor and incorp lighting and effects at the same time

Compiling your project:
    -Will the entire game be installed at once or will you stream certain aspects to the player as they progress in the game world?

Distribution: Will this be a published game through a company or distributed online (again more overhead)

Really there is a lot that goes into making a game and I think you could learn much more by taking a few aspects of various game genre's and developing them one at a time to learn the processes that each requires. I know you don't think you have the artistic abilities to create on your own but you won't get better unless you keep practicing.

For those 4 years did you actually spend 8-12 hrs a day on each project or was it more of a couple hrs here a little time spent there "oh no the project failed kind of thing"?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pay2play system is dying, this is just the next nail in the coffin. WARonline has a free version, EQ2 has a free version, LOTRO has a free version, DDO has a free version, these games are dropping like flies. It's clear as day these games are losing clientele and losing money. If you work on any of these, I'd get out while you still can.

Yeah, sorry, one last thing: LOTRO and DDO went free to play because it made them more money than subscriptions. WAR is still pay to play, it's just the demo is based on level rather than amount of time you play. The free 2 play structure is huge in Asia, the numbers make the western MMO market look quaint in comparison although western MMOs did increase revenue to $1.8 Billion last year. The revenue from online games keep out-pacing analyst predictions
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, sorry, one last thing: LOTRO and DDO went free to play because it made them more money than subscriptions.

Yeah for a completely arbitrary reason; their player base dropped out. Yes they get more money now simply because they have more players, and some of those players are going to buy stuff.

Does DDO make as much average money as WoW per player? No. They didn't switch to the free2play model to make more money, they switched to survive.

Western players don't like the idea of paying for raid gear, and that doesn't seem to be changing soon. That's the only reason the Asian market gets a shit-ton of money, because those players are will to pay their way to the top. And many of those players spend more than 180 dollars per year on gear.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snowfly

Yeah, I just haven't had luck with the team thing man, that's the whole idea behind this; eliminate the static team model. On free projects I have come to accept that people ARE GOING TO QUIT, its simply a fact of life. The only person I know who isn't going to quit, is me. This is my dream, so I'm the rock. Since you and cgmonkey seem to be focusing on the monetary costs for all of this, let me give you an idea of the phases this project will most likely endure and the time associated.

Those server costs and other costs won't be a concern for
    awhile. These are approximations.

phase 1: Design
    +backstory (1 month)
    +gameplay design (10 months)
    +style concept art (2 months)
    +concept art (2 months)

phase 2: Planning
    +gameplay design (1 month)
    +more concept art (6 months)
    +maps (6 months)

phase 3: Blocking
    +block out world (2 months)
    +gameplay design (2 months)
    +single player gameplay programming (10 months)
    +stress tests / specification discussion (2 months)

phase 4: Multiplayer *server fees begin for multiplayer stress tests
    +multiplayer gameplay / server programming (6 months)
    +stress tests / specification discussion (2 months)

phase 5: Assets
    +character art (18 months)
    +environmental art (14 months)
    +voiceovers (3 months)
    +continued programming (4 months)

phase 6: Alpha
    +gameplay design (3 months)
    +continued programming (3 months)
    +stress tests / specification discussion (3 months)

phase 7: Open Beta
    +gameplay design (x months)
    +backstory (x months)
    +concept art (x months)
    +maps (x months)
    +character art (x months)
    +environmental art (x months)
    +voiceovers (x months)
    +continued programming (x months)

This is my projection on how long this might take with just me working on this. It could probably go faster or slower and various parts depending on how many people help me. Did I overshoot or undershoot?

Over 8.5 years to get to open beta on my own.

Thanks for more suggestions Snowfly, and admittedly I did start posting about this a bit early, I considered waiting until I had all the game design stuff done, but I thought open ing that up to the community early would only facilitate more, and interesting ideas.

@Justin_Meisse

Sorry you feel that way Justin, most of what you've given me so far has been fairly constructive imo. Don't take my continued interest and work on this project as an insult. Also, I just can't get mad at you, your avatar is too cute.

@PhattyEwok

Wow, now heres some great advice, you probably won't believe me but I made my game phase schedule up above before I read your post, and there are some major similarities. This gives me confidence.

As far as costs go, I really don't consider them a huge issue. UDK is free unless you make a certain amount of money through sales. Unity is free, unless you want extra features like realtime shadows (meh). Blender and Gimp and sculptris(was) are free. The only money I will make will be through ads or donations and once the game has enough popularity to HAVE a player base, those should SUPPORT the player base. And if it doesn't the game server and download server simply go down, until donations or ad revenue goes up.

Well, with projects I started, yes. I put a large amount of time into them and was always ahead of the other members. The projects that I have been leading have all been with my 2 cs major friends who goto the UW. Both very well equipped for the work we were trying to do, but always end up letting school, family, internships and other things higher on their priority lists get in the way. Even after I ask them each time before a project; will you have time,will you have time, will you have time, will you have time, will you have time.

As far as projects I joined with online, that I was not leading, its often drama between other members, or vacuous/ill equipped teams to begin with which seem to cause failure after failure.

Thanks PhattyEwok, you have some great information.

@Skulburn

Maybe I'm just not as lucky as you and all these other people who have found their dream teams. Regardless, this project will help me grow. I hope to get a large portfolio out of it, get some coding ability, make some friends, and have some fun.

Thanks for your words Skulburn.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about you give a little, 1 month project a shot? Just a little one.

You are not loosing anything, if you are going to invest at leas 4 years of your life, energy and money into mmorpg project, a month off won't do the harm.

If you are successful and finish it, you'll end up with more experience and a finished title, so you'll be able to find people easily and plan your project better.

If you fail, you'll know that undertaking such a huge task is a bad idea and 4 years of your life will be saved.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Sandro wrote: »
    How about you give a little, 1 month project a shot? Just a little one.

You are not loosing anything, if you are going to invest at leas 4 years of your life, energy and money into mmorpg project, a month off won't do the harm.

If you are successful and finish it, you'll end up with more experience and a finished title, so you'll be able to find people easily and plan your project better.

If you fail, you'll know that undertaking such a huge task is a bad idea and 4 years of your life will be saved.

Exactly! How about a 'warm-up' project? At least do some stretching :D
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    I don't understand is this a troll? How can you possibly expect to make an MMO? Do you know how much planning and coordination that takes? How do you plan on having consistency in your art direction? What about tech and transfering files among your peers?

Working on a MMO right now I can tell you there is no possible way this project ends up not a complete cluster fuck of unplayable crap. Why you are so set on wasting your time is beyond me.

If you take the same idea you have and scope it back to something more reasonable you could have a very successful game. It's good to be ambitious and driven to accomplish your goals, but you have to be realistic and not naive and ignorant.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I'm with cholden, it seems like you want a "founder's" type manager position while a bunch of other people carry out your dream.

You can't manage what you don't understand. Not well, anyway.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sandro

Okay, how should I go about finding a programmer?

I can handle some 3d and 2d art, enough to get by, but I'll need a programmer. I have several completed game design documents, games ready to be worked on. A short game focusing on gameplay probably would probably do me well. A short 2d game in gamemaker or that other gamemaking engine someone posted earlier in this thread.

Just understand I've had alot of failure with these kinds of projects. What's the best method for finding a devoted programmer for a short project?

Thanks Sandro

@Vcortis

Well, several commercial mmos launched as a "complete cluster fuck of unplayable crap", so I'll be happy if I get that far.

@Two Listen

I'll be working on this project regardless of how much help I get. I'm not just sitting around waiting for people to come make stuff. Seems like several of you got the idea I wouldn't be doing anything.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    So I assume when these people show up and post work on your forums, that you've got the legalities behind that all covered.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think you know how games are made with your projected timeline or anything you have presented here. Start small first and work up. But this has been said time and time again and you're still dreaming big.

Good luck on your project, but I think it'll end poorly - if at all.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @achilesian

Same way you are going to find coder for mmorpg project maybe?

What I would do is clean up design doc (if you already have suitable one) so that it is well-structured, is easy to understand and fast to read without going too much into details. Then reinforce it with some art - level mockups, concepts and moodboards. If you can animate some gameplay features even better.

After your pitch is ready hit modding forums or TIGSource asking for programmer help. If you show that you mean business and are prepared you will attract couple of decent coders. If not, you will attract trolls and wannabees.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh ok,
    I think a good way to attract programmers would be to make this an open source project
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Okay, how should I go about finding a programmer?
    Money.

A programmer who is skilled and experienced enough to do the incredibly complex job of working on an MMO is going to do so for one of two reasons. Either he is getting paid, or he is passionate about the project. You're absolutely not going to find a programmer worth his salt who wants to work on YOUR project, under YOUR guidelines for free. If he's working for free, he'd likely work on his own dream project.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Seriously people might be a bit offensive on polycount but they are giving some wise advice. If you want to make games, make some small games, get some experience and perhaps even a bit of revenue flow, then reconsider whether making an mmo is a good idea. You are trying to fly before you even begin to crawl, its incredibly satisfying even crawling so dont loose out on those little first steps. Im really enjoying being at a small games studio, it is genuinely fun!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, Okay, I listened, I want that on record.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1216036#post1216036

Cleaned up the doc, explained pretty much the entire game in a page. Should be fairly easy to read. No art yet, but I'll probably add some, especially if I don't get any bites.

Where else should I post this?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's a good start but for someone that prides himself on being a designer it's a bit uninspired, invest some more time into the idea.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, okay, how about this, your a commando in an army of giant, sentient penises, and you have to headbutt soldiers in the Boston terrier liberation front until they explode into a cloud of skittles, and then you have to catch the skittles before they hit the ground because then you would have spilled your seed upon barren ground, and and, uh yeah!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My advice for what it's worth is simple:

Learn computer programming.

The reason? Without being able to program the game (or at least any given part of it) yourself your project will always be at risk of failure if and when your programmer(s) lose interest or move on to greener (read: more $) pastures.

Let's face it here, a game is just a computer program with some art of varying quality glued on top of it. You want to make games? then you need to learn some programming. Luckily for you there are things like Unity that keep the programming relatively simple. You don't need to go all hardcore and become a C++ god coder to create a game these days, though it wouldn't hurt.

I think one reason you're getting a lot of aggressive attitude around here because most of us are production artists and we've all experienced it at least once: An "idea guy" who tries to get us to do tremendous amounts of work on their idea/project without actually contributing any tangible work themselves, usually while being treated poorly in the process.

We also don't want to see you fail again, and would rather see you complete a successful project and get more experience. The easiest/fastest/best way to do that is just to create a simple one or two month game project.

Well, best of luck with whatever you decide to do with your time and money.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I was afraid of that. But you're right, learning to program or at least script something like Unity is a necessity for a indie game developer, isn't it.

The "idea guy" is exactly what I want to avoid becoming. Cliffy B, Brad Mcquaid, Molyneux and others entered the industry contributing something major to their games. For most of them it was programming. But in their most recent projects they're idea men, their workload is reduced to having meetings and saying yea or nay to everything that lands on their desk, and yeah its still difficult, but its not the hands on, balls deep creative experience it should be.

I want the project lead on a game team to be able to model, paint, rig and animate, script/code, write, write music, dance around in the mocap room, and fucking voice act. Granted not as well as each of the respective pros, but good enough to fill in where needed. Its just more practical.

/rant
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i want a project lead to be able to use Excel like some superpowered wizard. To be able to pull any and all necessary information out of what appears to most people to be thin air like *that*, and make sure that everybody in the chain has it

seriously, you want to stop assuming what making games is like, and put more practical effort into spending time in a studio. It's only there that you'll pick up the right info, studio-career or indie-minded alike. Not ready for a full time job cos your skills aren't there? Try for an internship, even a week or two of work experience doing painful monkeywork. God, be a cleaner and cast your eyes and ears about.
  • thomasmahler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasmahler polycounter lvl 14
    So, what's your experience level? Have you ever made a game before? Contributed to a game? If you don't have any real experience, how could you expect anyone investing their own time (which is the most valuable resource) and money (by working for you and not another company that actually pays people) into your project?

Every kid seems to have this "I want to make my own MMO!" idea, not knowing how much work is required. There's a reason why Blizzard hires dozens of people whose full time job it is to take care of the servers and just be there for the community.

http://www.tigsource.com
    http://www.indiegames.com/blog/

Here, that's where you start. Make a good flash game and get a reputation. You'd be surprised how hard it is.

Newsflash: Making games is incredibly hard. Making good games is even harder. Making an MMO through an online community... forget about it.

Btw: Your idea is generally worth jack shit. Unless you have a finished product and made some contributions to the industry, nobody gives a fuck about what you think would be a good idea.

PS: I'm usually cursing a lot, this post wasn't meant to attack you, but from what I read so far you're just another dude who has no experience worth talking about (or you would've talked about it), you're not an artist or a programmer and never released a game, so already you're in a pretty bad position.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Btw: Your idea is generally worth jack shit. Unless you have a finished product and made some contributions to the industry, nobody gives a fuck about what you think would be a good idea.

This.

It's all about execution, not ideas.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, listen to the people here. Start small. Even a simple game like pacman or tetris needs a lot of planning, thought and manhours to finish. Right now you are thinking too much about STARTING a project, instead of FINISHING it. The fact that you have 0% professional experience doesnt help either.

Take it from us, we were all young and overly ambitious once:
    THESE PROJECTS ALWAYS FAIL!

Ps: how old are you?
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I really don't understand the logic leap of going from "I worked on some small projects and failed" to "I want to make a MASSIVE game by leading a team of disparate strangers"

Take people's advice, and go small. Make a small game. It's harder than it seems, and it'll give you a bit of insight into just how ridiculous it is to think you'll be able to pull of a project of this massive scope on your own, with no experience.

Your programmer listing is also... lacking. If you're truly passionate about making something, throw a working prototype together in Unity. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to get some interest when there's something tangible for people to get their hands on. Next best thing would be mockups (this is doubly true of 2D pixel art game ideas). A page of just ideas is going to turn away all but the most inexperienced of people.

Seriously. Listen to the advice people are giving you.

edit:
    I re-read your initial post, and this positively leaped out and clubbe me in the face:
    instead of putting together a small team that will most likely fall apart when they lose interest or time, I will use a massive team
    WHAT? That's just about the most amazing leap of logic I've seen in some time. No. Really.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    C'mon, guys, nobody ever learned a life lesson by being discouraged. You learn it by heading face first into the brick wall of game design and failing miserably (repeatedly).
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    C'mon, guys, nobody ever learned a life lesson by being discouraged. You learn it by heading face first into the brick wall of game design and failing miserably (repeatedly).
    Yeah but man, seriously. THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!

"I really don't understand the logic leap of going from "I worked on some small projects and failed" to "I want to make a MASSIVE game""

How will a big project go better than a small!?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I'm with the do a small game idea. Atleast you get something out of it at the end other than reputation of failure and a load of wasted hours (yours and those of your artists)

Making a good simple game is hard enough for a first project. getting it to be fun and worth playing would be an exceptional bit of experience and a great portfolio piece.

Thinking that you and some unexperienced folks you've never met can do what industry veterans fail at regularly is just silly. Look at tabula rasa, APB, Warhammer Online, Lord of the Rings, Age of Conan.