Home General Discussion

gog.com shut down

Uly
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Uly polycounter lvl 15
http://www.gog.com/
(for those not in the know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Old_Games)

well shit, that was rather sudden.

real shame, this site was as good as it got. bought a lot of stuff on there, would have bought a lot more if it were still sticking around. I've got to give thanks for all they did to preserve some great history.

I'm really hoping there's a more in-depth explanation to why it was shut down. On a blindly optimistic note, I'm really hoping they're just pulling some sick joke for pulling out of Beta.

Replies

• BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    No, probably coming back in a few days with drm games.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    On a blindly optimistic note, I'm really hoping they're just pulling some sick joke for pulling out of Beta.

There are some rumors that suggest exactly that (posts to financial forums warning them about the announcement beforehand). Which, if true, would make this an amazingly dick move. I mean, why punk your loyal customers like that?
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    The wording of the announcement is pretty tricky. I'm not sure if it is real or not.

It's a pretty stupid joke to pull though, but it could be a publicity stunt.

They might also be doing something drastic like changing the name of the service as well.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, have I lost one of my games, that I forgot to download now?

If it is a joke then I will seriously rethink buying anymore games from them.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Well for one, it's bringing them under the attention of people that had never heard of the service before, such as myself.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23418875&postcount=240

It's a marketing stunt, as predicted.

The guy who came up with it should be fired.

Sure, it brings them a little attention, but remember they're competing for attention with a lot of other things that are positive in nature, and bigger, way bigger. All people will remember from this stunt is, "Hey? Didn't that crappy little service shut down? Well I'm not going to buy anything from them if they're going to disappear like that!" Then people will go and play the next new thing that's come out and promptly forget again.

Sure, any press is press, but sometimes the kind of press you get really matters. GTA and the like can get by on controversy, but that controversy didn't say the game was crap and broken.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    I've got to say, strange marketing stunt or not, if the site does go back up and you've never checked it out before, you really should take a look. These really are some of the best, old school PC games you could get your hands on.

You pay 5 or 10 bucks for a game, and your account gets unlimited access to a single .exe installer for that particular game with no DRM included, and pretty comprehensive support for any modern operating system.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    wow, what assholes.. -1 regular customer if this is indeed a joke.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I don't buy the marketing stunt thing. There been mentions in the past on GOG's Twitter regarding publishers making a fuss about DRM. I'd say it more likely that someone has hit them with legal action.

I'd like to see exactly what the CEO had to say before I feel inclined to believe the NeoGAF post.

Anyway, new info is supposed to be up tomorrow so I suppose we just need to wait and see.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Why are people butt-hurt? The wording of the site itself suggests its not going anywhere.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Over reaction on my part, I'm not really fond of this sort of joke though if it is indeed one .

Good luck to em though,I hope they're not gone for too long. its a good service.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I agree with Adam. I think everyone is jumping to conclusions thinking they've killed the site and everyone has lost their purchases and so forth.
    gog.com wrote:
    On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

The whole thing is worded in such a way to make the point that they are moving forward with gog.com and taking the next step with their development (a bit like what we did with the new Polycount).

It was a spaz way of doing it and should have been handled differently, but there's no need to get your panties in a bunch.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm kind of butt hurt because a service I used has gone down without any warning. I cannot as of this time access the games that I bought.

The information they are giving isnt clear in any way shape or form.

When they do open the access for people to redownload the games they've bought, perhaps there is going to be lots of people downloading all their games. Maybe they wont have enough bandwith or enough time for everyone to get all their games. Maybe redownloading your games is going to come with certain caveats.

It just goes to show how much you cannot trust these digital company's. There are no laws,(there are but isnt clear where it lies or what protections consumers have). The company's think they can make an eula which says anything they like and everything in it is enforcable/legal.

The always have the clause in the eula saying, we are allowed to change anything we want at any time without any notice. When any proper company is not allowed to do that. Like my cable company if they are doing maintenance which means my internet service may go down, they must give adequate written notice. My bank must provide me with adequate written notice, when there is a change of terms.

With this I have no idea what is going to happen when or if it returns in what shape or form. Why would anyone not be bothered or worried about something like this?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    /facepalm

you can't defend this, the wording is horrible, it reads just like every other complete shut down message I've ever seen.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    they better come back on with EA's full catalog of old games to make me forgive them.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I certainly hope it is a marketing stunt, even if a terrible one, I love the service as it is and would hate if it stopped being DRM-free but there's no reason to worry or speculate at this point. I'd like to know if there are any other sources more credible than a single NeoGaf post. Also, as far as forum posts go...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23420772&postcount=385

Edit: Also, this is from GOG's official Twitter account:
    "Sometimes it's really hard being DRM-free... hard to keep things the way they are and keep management and publishers happy :("
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It's presented as one, but it certainly does not read as a closure.
    /facepalm

you can't defend this, the wording is horrible, it reads just like every other complete shut down message I've ever seen.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not closure indeed, but I fear a drastic change in direction, although as I said there's no good in speculating at the moment.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    They are going out of Beta and releasing their proper tools as a games provider (think: Steam).
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I have a feeling there will be drastic changes, why announce that you are leaving beta with words like "unfortunately". I'm surprised you don't see any issue with this Adam, when Polycount was relaunched I don't recall any message that sounded like a half apology, the general gist was "Polycount is coming back better than ever"...

Sounds like MP3.com's closure message, sure it didn't actually go away but it's relaunch was not mp3.com. My guess, higher prices, DRM... they got lawyered up by publishers wanting more money for their back catalog.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, there's been an update but it's still really vaguely worded...
  • Smash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I was actually pretty mad by this since I never knew this site existed and it sounds good -_-
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    We weren't after a marketing gimmick like this, thats why I don't have a problem with it. I can see through it. (I hope.)
    I have a feeling there will be drastic changes, why announce that you are leaving beta with words like "unfortunately". I'm surprised you don't see any issue with this Adam, when Polycount was relaunched I don't recall any message that sounded like a half apology, the general gist was "Polycount is coming back better than ever"...

Sounds like MP3.com's closure message, sure it didn't actually go away but it's relaunch was not mp3.com. My guess, higher prices, DRM... they got lawyered up by publishers wanting more money for their back catalog.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm certain they are just rolling out of beta with a few surprises that will need you to sign off on a new agreement.

Possibly DRM.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest update
    UPDATE 20.09.2010
    First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.
    There's evidently some bad shit going down.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I very much doubt they have legal troubles, they signed with publishers who knew their business model.

anyone see the vid on youtube?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRvuKjissQ[/ame]
    Why is baldurs gate shown at the end? I didnt think they had that or id have bought it. Also the UI they show in the montage looks new. Im pretty sure this closure is bullshit.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's rumored as a new launch title. Also in one of the frames you can see some of the new UI and what seems like a new feature called GOGmix or something.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was expecting some sort of buyout that had nothing to do with gaming.
    "Welcome to GOG.com, your one-stop-shop for all your mortgage needs!"
    "Returning customers get a %2 APR bonus, sign in now!"
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatever the hell they're up to they need to hurry up and get that press release out.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    site is updated. : ) phew. poor choice of words on their part.
    stick around gog, we love you. Word has it Baldur's Gate is getting the royal treatment soon.

"First of all we would like to apologize everyone who felt deceived or harmed in any way by us closing down GOG.com without any warning and without giving access to your games. We apologize for that from the bottom of our hearts!

Now it's time we put an end to all the speculations once and for all. It’s true that we decided that we couldn't keep GOG.com the way it was… so we won’t. As you probably know by now, GOG.com is entering its new era with an end of the two-years beta stage and we're launching a brand new GOG.com with new, huge releases.

The new GOG.com will launch at 8.00 a.m. EDT (2 p.m. CET). Later today we'll provide you here 4 videos where you'll find all needed information on current events, as well as news on the new GOG.com, the upcoming big releases and the summary of the last two years."

www.gog.com
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it was a hoax, so bloody hilarious I wont be using their service in future.

I like how they say they did it because their is not enough lite heartedness. Its like they dont even get it at all. Whatever you do you dont fuck with your customers, if you want those customers to continue being so. The joked that you wouldnt be able to access the games you bought any more, the one thing I used it for, thats not fucking cricket.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    did you swear off christmas when your parents told you santa claus wasn't real?

enthusiast gamers are a way sensitive bunch these days. besides the misinformation you heard about not being able to download your games again, (the original statement read, "we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games.") there was no harm done.

we're not neogaf. no point getting all hot and bothered over something like this. : ) all due respect
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a gamer I'm a human being. I dont see what someone sometimes playing games has to do with anything. If it was any normal business that did something like this, then I guarantee you the shitstorm, would be greater than this.

I'm angry at a business that decided to throw out all sense and common business practice for some shits and giggles.

The harm they did was making me not trust a service I thought I could trust. I thought the whole point of it was similar to steam where you buy the products and then they are kept with your account so you can download them when you want, that I didnt have to keep them stored on my pc or a blank disc somewhere, but, now I know.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Wellllll, to be fair, gog.com wasn't even on my radar until this stunt happened and they got a bunch of publicity. Maybe they'll bring in more users than they'll piss off current ones?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    aesir wrote: »
    Wellllll, to be fair, gog.com wasn't even on my radar until this stunt happened and they got a bunch of publicity. Maybe they'll bring in more users than they'll piss off current ones?

This.

Maybe not the 'best' way to go about it, but consider the alternative, from their perspective.

'Hey! You know that site that some gamers don't even know about? The one that sells games that even fewer gamers are old enough to remember, or care about? Well, we're relaunching! Isn't that awesome?'

So, a few people got upset. No real harm done. Let's all take a deep breath, and go play outside.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    Calabi wrote: »
    The harm they did was making me not trust a service I thought I could trust. I thought the whole point of it was similar to steam where you buy the products and then they are kept with your account so you can download them when you want, that I didnt have to keep them stored on my pc or a blank disc somewhere, but, now I know.

Why would you not trust it anymore? I really don't get that.
    They olny took it down for a couple of days to get the new site up and running, and even then they said a solution was going to a be in place in order to let people continue download all the games they had already bought for as many times as they wanted, so I really don't get it how it stoped being a trustworthy service. All they did was when they took it down, they played a little gag. I have bought games there and was pretty happy to know it was all a joke, and will be able to continue buy new games. Besides, the fact that they are coming out of Beta proves that the service is being successfull and is trustworthy.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I'm pretty sure relatives would be pretty pissed it you at your funeral popped up from your chest and said "hey guys It was a joke!".

And I _will_ do that comparison because gog.com is serious shit for alot of people in the way they're bringing back very old and awesome games.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure they would be pretty happy too... but really, you say you can, but you can't make that comparison. Unless when you die you leave your relatives a way of still enjoying all the good times they had with you whenever they want, and be with you and all that, just no new stuff... Seriously man, that is not comparable :D
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs wrote: »
    Why would you not trust it anymore? I really don't get that.
    They olny took it down for a couple of days to get the new site up and running, and even then they said a solution was going to a be in place in order to let people continue download all the games they had already bought for as many times as they wanted, so I really don't get it how it stoped being a trustworthy service. All they did was when they took it down, they played a little gag. I have bought games there and was pretty happy to know it was all a joke, and will be able to continue buy new games. Besides, the fact that they are coming out of Beta proves that the service is being successfull and is trustworthy.

Because they just pissed on loyal customers, people whom pay money to them. When things come down to money its not a game or a laugh. You buy a service you expect a certain service(they defined what their service would be)then without any warning they reneged on that service. Thought it would be funny to lie to people and withhold that service.

Frankly I dont see how anyone can find this reasonable or acceptable. No real business would do something like this, this joke hits at the root of their service. Even with their apology, they are laughing at the customers.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Instead of playing a "joke", in the face of repeated studio shutdowns in the past however many months, with shittily ambiguous, dramaticly written messages of providing a means for already bought games to be downloaded, maybe they could have been completely honest with the people that have been handing them money for their service, created some hype and buzz, gotten people excited for the next phase and relaunched without making themselves look like deceitful douchebags?

If you word it and present it like some overnight shutdown, people will panic. It's not unheard of. Your userbase will miss your service that they've used and have been happy with. They will panic that the games they've bought won't be accessible in the future.

Funnily enough, they will feel wronged when you shittily slap them in the face, spring out of a shit-covered cake, and shout a shitty "Hah! Just shitting kidding!".

I really don't see, from any angle, why they've pulled this crappy stunt.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    I really don't see, from any angle, why they've pulled this crappy stunt.
    It's not rocket science. See:
    ...gog.com wasn't even on my radar until this stunt happened and they got a bunch of publicity...
    Pretty simple!

The internet is full of drama queens -- that's what makes it fun -- so this is just business as usual. Everyone who is 'pissed off' will forget about it as soon as another 'scandal' hits, which shouldn't take much more than a couple of hours.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    acc wrote: »
    It's not rocket science. See:
    Pretty simple!
    Sure. On this page alone, there are 3 people that will probably leave the service. And they've gained one customer.

Super smart.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I certainly don't feel like I've been pissed on. Maybe I'm just weird. And again, they always guaranteed that the games people had bought would still be accessible - And you guys have to realize this is the most important part of my argument. But really, I'm not saying it was a good thing what they did, I just don't understand how that affects the relationship now that we know it was a prank. What I mean is, yes it was a crappy joke, but what is the purpose of stop using the service now that we know it is secure and has a bright future ahead.

Would you feel more comfortable if the news were true?
    Even better, what if this prank was pulled on the 1st of April? A lot of people would still believe it was true for longer than that day, and then forgive them and take it all lightly. so what's the difference?

The thing is, it just seems to me that people tend to only read half the news, usually the half that lets them be angry and pissed at everything. They always said they were going to keep the service one way or another, and they always said they would guarantee that all the games people had already bought would still be available for download as before, and the regular service would just be down for a couple of days. Seriously guys, lighten up.
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Sure. On this page alone, there are 3 people that will probably leave the service. And they've gained one customer.

Super smart.

Well, it's not like we've never been lied to by a games company :P
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was badly handled. a simple email to customers would have kept everyone happy, its not like this upgrade was a suprise to GOG.

the new vids posted on gog.com clear it all up. looks great
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    There was no note about games already paid for being accessible when the notice first went up (and the content access went down), that was added later.

I bought 6 games from them previously but they have completely lost my business from this retarded stunt. I dont like to give my money to companies that are willing to lie to me out right in order to get a little online media buzz.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    tons of new content!

*checks the new games section*

baldurs gate..

yay...
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was right there from the very beginning.
    "On a technical note, this wee we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games."

I think it was a jerky move as well, but they seem to have acknowledged that and apologized and now the site's back and it's even better than before. To boycott them for a bad joke seems ridiculous to me.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I use their site pretty regularly but I wouldn't have even known about any of this if there hadn't been this thread on PC. Even when I read the thread title I just thought "ah, that's a shame." I don't get how this is so personally offensive to people, but I suggest looking into where you put your priorities if this caused more than a tiny blip on your radar :P
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    For those of you who say that there's no way that they gained more customers than they lost, read this:

http://www.gog.com/en/news/the_launch_slightly_delayed/0

"we're having 20 times the biggest traffic we have ever had in our history!"
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And a week later, we have 21 times less traffic than we did the week before.