Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ME weapon recreation WIP- hard surface practice

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
snow polycounter lvl 8
Hi all,

I really love the sci-fi style in mass effect, and as I desperately need to work on my hard surface modeling, I decided to work from a detailed concept art piece made for the game.

Here's the current state of it:

m12wip1.jpg

I'm already running into some problems (this has been posted in "how do u model dem shapes") but didn't get any response and given I'm sure I'll run into a lot more problems I have made this thread. The bottom of the weapon, i want to have a square extrusion where the clip will fit into (as seen below) but I like the really soft curve of the rest of the geometry and want that to remain.

Basically I've spent hours and hours trying to get it to work, but still no luck. Here's the OBJ if anyone wouldn't mind having a look at it: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YQYTB7NI

Image:
squareproblem.jpg

I really appreciate any help anyone can give, i'm a bit of an newbie with this. Thanks!

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Its really hard to see wich component this is on the gun and how you want it to look, maybe you can point it out better.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Apologies if i wasn't clear enough.

The part i'm referring to is shown below (except it's only half of it, im just symmetrying things over). Basically I'm just looking to have the obj I attached, subdivide as is, but I want it to have a square extrusion at the bottom - like what's seen in the low poly screenshot above.

I hate trying to explain this but need help :<.

diagramcc.jpg
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    You mean you want the hole to keep square? you can just add a loop as in the pics. Sorry if that's not what you meant
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    just added more geometry (and sorted one triangle you had). smooths fine now.
    download linky here
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for your help guys, It's fixed now.

Here's just a small update:

m12wip01.jpg

And forgot to attach concept earlier (copyright EA and Bioware)!:

referencem.jpg
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Turns out nice dude, keep working on it!
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good mate, I'm a big fan of ME's style too. Watching!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    You're definately on the right path!
    Keep it up! :)
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    That's looking Pimp man!!! Definitely on the right track.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for your nice words, again this is my first attempt at something decently hard surface. Been working full time and haven't had much time to work on it, here's the practically finished high poly. FLOATERS LOOK BAD YES!!1 =[

Really lookign for suggestions on matching the concept better, making it look better in general, and if you find anything wrong with it basically?

I also am not sure what to put at the front (as seen in screenshot) where the barrel is, to make it look more interesting. There's something just wrong with it :/.

I'm starting to think I could use this as a portfolio piece, but I don't know about copyrights and what not, guess I better look into it!

Thanks a lot.

renderwip01front.jpg
    renderwip01side.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    that looks Great! good job!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I love the look of this gun, small yet powerful it seems.

Awesome modeling snow! I will be following this thread for updates :).
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Great job! Very nice modeling!
    Looks like it will bake well too. :)
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Wow thanks for your responses.

Any ideas on what that second cylinder thing (below the main barrel) could be? I feel like it needs more of a purpose instead of what I have at the moment where it's just capped off. It's also just clipping with a box. I would just prefer it to have some function, ta!
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    it could be a laser sight type thing. i cant decide but that trigger looks like it would be hard to use
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    I know next to nothing about guns but it may be the gas cylinder, which from my research is meant to "automatically push the cartridge up into the weapon’s breech when the gases which are released by the exploding cartridge enter this cylinder". Not sure exactly though.

As for critique, it's looking great.
    There are a couple things that I think aren't quite right yet. You have a few forms in your model which are much more blockish/squarish then what they are in the concept art.
    The handle/cartridge area (not where you place your hand but what holds the cartridge) has a much more curved edge in the concept. I also perceive the black and grey areas of the handle to be at the same height with a ridge in between where as you have the grey are protruding out which is giving a pillowy type feel (instead of looking like metal).
    The piece underneath the 2nd barrel and the bolt/ejector port (the opening at the top) is much more round in the concept.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    awesome your first time hard surface and u nailed it... lol
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    great job man! no crits from me except for the beauty renders instead of having a black background try something like grey :)
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    Haven't played ME2, but in ME1 they explained the guns having infinite ammo by the fact that the guns used a solid slug of metal as their source of ammunition (mass accelerators as they are) They chipped parts of the metal and formed the bullet, realtime.

Now why does the concept have a casing ejection or whatchamacallit if the guns use solid metal...but the fact that they should be railguns would rule out the gas cylinder option.

I'm in favor of the laser :)
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks SkyWay, well I did a little research, and it turns out to be a gas cylinder plug (http://tacticallyarmedcitizen.com/Smith%20socom%20gas%20cylinder%20plug%20web.gif).

Here's my low poly. Now I'm afraid I could have optimised a little too much, and may have some pretty nasty triangles, but I'm not sure. I've pointed out my main problems on the image below. Obviously, any suggestions on modeling parts better or improving on what I have please let me know - I don't want my low poly to let down the high!

Thanks in advance peepz - be gentle :).

lowpolymeweapwip01.jpg
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well...apparently they forgot about their lore then :D
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice modelling. Good clean shapes :D

SkyWay:
    In ME1 the guns have a cool-down period after a few shots, the use built-in radiators of some kind to dissipate the heat.

In ME2, they use "thermal clips" which are like heat storage cartridges. After a few shots, they get ejected from the gun like bullet casings do in modern day guns.

(One of the dumbest steps backwards in ME2, imo.)
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    This is Commander Shepard,

And this is my favorite gun model thread on Polycount!
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon : thanks for clearing that up and I agree...what were they thinking? Maybe it's The Rule Of Cool™

Anyway, I completely forgot to say this before : Nice job on the gun! :D
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    snow wrote: »
    Thanks SkyWay, well I did a little research, and it turns out to be a gas cylinder plug (http://tacticallyarmedcitizen.com/Smith%20socom%20gas%20cylinder%20plug%20web.gif).

Here's my low poly. Now I'm afraid I could have optimised a little too much, and may have some pretty nasty triangles, but I'm not sure. I've pointed out my main problems on the image below. Obviously, any suggestions on modeling parts better or improving on what I have please let me know - I don't want my low poly to let down the high!

Thanks in advance peepz - be gentle :).

lowpolymeweapwip01.jpg

Hey man, it's looking good!

Regarding the areas you've highlighted in blue; you're correct in that they would be a waste of uv space (if kept in line with the rest in terms of scale.) I would just scale those uvs down pretty small. You could in fact double them up on top of each other (though that could give you seams if you look close.) Anyhow, small, dark, and low detail areas are good candidates for such a procedure.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13

renderwip01front.jpg

Nice work I like it. I do think however the front grip and is a bit wide and box-y
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool...looking to see it textured man!
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Great work on the modeling so far. I think your optimization is fine, triangles are fine where you have them. Perhaps you could have went a bit lower with the sides of the barrel in the front. The part on the back that you highlighted I would go a different route with the optimization, could be a little cleaner.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Bumper - Thanks I'll make the UV's smaller for that piece of geometry, I hope that's acceptable given as I said, it won't have much texture definition anyway.

EricV - Thanks! I might taper the grip in a little bit on the sides (like it is at the front) to try break up the boxiness.

maze - Me too! Glad you like it.

ajr2764 - Thanks for clearing that up, there's tri's galore. I'll have a fiddle with that bit i circled, still unsure of how I can make it cleaner but I'll see how I go.

Busy all day today and tomorrow but hopefully after that I'll have a bake for you guys to evaluate. I appreciate all your comments as always :).
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry for the long update. Did a bake today, thought I'd get some feedback before I continue - if there's anything I can improve please let me know. Thanks people!

**Please ignore the fact there are some UV shells still offset and there are some normals I'll need to straighten out!

Final LP:
    finallowpoly.jpg

meweaponbakes.jpg
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your bake came out good, I don't see any errors that jump out at me. Whats the tri count on it?
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    thanks ajr2764, it's 3993 tri's. I'm hoping that's not too high!
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    So I apologise for not updating in a while for those that were interested, busy busy.

I've textured the majority of the gun (about 90% there), excluding the black grips. I'm not sure how I should best match the concept in terms of the material it's made of - I'd like to get your thoughts.

I'm not too sure either about the bland front of the gun, where the barrel connects, ignore my bad gun terminology.

I thought I'd run my diffuse by you guys before bothering with the spec, so ignore the bad specular values please!

Thank you all hope to hear from you guys!

snowm12locustwip01.jpg
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Does that gun do the folding out thing that most ME guns do?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Really like how this is coming out! although, your concern for the grip would be some what of a nitpick but another texture could help out the look. also the diffuse get take a bit more detailing.
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great. I think you did a good job of mimicking the style of Mass Effect. :)
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks damn cool, the grip and all :P

The only thing I've seen the front of a gun collect is residue from gunpowder, but these didn't use gunpowder so I'd keep it clean.
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The nobbly dial thing on the front looks like it's adjustable, could put some usage wear on that :)
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks everyone. I'll have another play around and add a bit more detail. Will post a final sometime soon. =]
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, I like the color scheme you have going on. Style of the gun is very interesting.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    looking sharp man! very clean modelling. Can't wait to see it finished.
  • Mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind triangle
    Really really nice ,some more details on the texture (wear around the screws for exemple) and it gonna be perfect. keep it up dude!
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Hey all, thanks again for your nice words it means a lot.

Here's the (almost) completed model. Quick lighting setup trying to imitate the concept art (yes it's bad, ignore it for now!), using xoliul's shader.

I purchased the 3 point shader and can't seem to get lights/cubemaps working - nothing happens when I add lights (model gets a little brighter, but colour change doesn't work nor anything else?), and cubemaps dont do anything. I'm pretty new to setting up lighting scenes properly, can anyone shed any light on this problem? It's max 2011 I'm using.

Looking for some final crits from all you guys so I can make this the best it can be.

Thanks,
    ~snow

m12locustwip02.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    I purchased the 3 point shader and can't seem to get lights/cubemaps working - nothing happens when I add lights (model gets a little brighter, but colour change doesn't work nor anything else?), and cubemaps dont do anything. I'm pretty new to setting up lighting scenes properly, can anyone shed any light on this problem? It's max 2011 I'm using.

Have u tried http://www.8monkeylabs.com/tech/toolbag ?
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Vofff, yeah I have, 3 point shader really appeals to me so I'd like to get it working, I'm sure it's something foolish I'm doing wrong, be good if there was a mini tute somewhere out there in internet-space.
  • vofff
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Vofff, I've got the lights working, just still not getting the ambient light/reflection working. argh!
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking really cool. Very impressive. As for final crits - the specular seems a little dull compared to the concept. The blueish metallic bloom and the shiny streak on the stock(?) you already have it in one of your angled shots so I guess its tied in with your lighting issues you just mentioned.

I think it would be cool to set up a view exactly like the concept with the same bg and show the final reult side by side. It might help you to get the lighting just the way you want it.

edit: just noticed the red glowy thing near the front
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Dude, that looks great! But where's the red glowy part on the side? I'd throw a quick emmisive on there :D
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    I'm glad you guys don't miss a thing!

The emissive has been done, just won't show up in this shader. I'll have to start a thread in the technical talk to get the 3 point shader working for me. Thanks!