Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tank Girl WIP

So, I had intended to do something much more complex and challenging for a final project, but then some things happened and I'm left with the inability to focus on much of anything right now let alone school work. Anyway, that's of no concern. What I'm hear for is to have words thrown at me regarding my work.

I'm doing my own take on Tank Girl (as you may have guessed from the title). Currently, I'm very early on with it. I took an old base model and buggered up the proportions and, well, buggered it all to hell for right now. Starting to get closer to the shapes I want, but none of the polyflow is final, still needs tons of optimizing before I even think about moving on to the next step. That said, I've got a week to get it done. I've modeled other characters in much less time, but that was then and this is now.

Edit: Removed the horrible starting piece and the broken link.

Replies

• n88tr
    all proportions are way off
  • Onuris
    n88tr wrote: »
    all proportions are way off

Onuris wrote: »
    I took an old base model and buggered up the proportions and, well, buggered it all to hell for right now.

As you can see, I'm aware that the proportions are off. It's in the process of turning from one body type into another (unfortunately, this was the closest I had to the comic book style of Tank Girl). I likely won't get a chance to work on it until Thursday, but feel free to check back then and I should have the proportions more or less fixed. To be honest, I really rather hate posting at this stage since everything is off and there really is nothing about it that I would consider good right now; but the professor requires that we post, and so I did.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Could have just posted "reference" pics instead.
  • Onuris
    Interesting, apparently wireframes are against photobucket's policy... Odd. Anyway, I finally did some more work on her and she's almost "right" (considering the basis, I don't think she'd ever be truly right). Anyway, I need to figure out what props and such to add to her so she's not boring. Gonna do scavenger goggles and some belt accessories, but I need more than just that. So, anyway, here she is looking better (but not as good as I would like her to look, but I'm hardly in the mood to even model right now, so this is probably as good as it gets for now). It's just materials right now, haven't unwrapped or anything yet. Also, in case it isn't obvious, I'm not going for realism as much as I am trying to emulate her comic book look, Tank Girl looks too real and she starts reminding me of that horrid movie with Lori Petty.

TG05.png

TG03.png

TG04.png

TG06.png

Comments? Insults? Constructive critique? Cookies? Feedback? Thanks.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I would say just keep, practicing till it looks right. try and build with squarer polygons, not long stretched ones and don't be afraid to add detail where it is needed.
    if you have to get a naked pic of a woman an literally trace over it to get the shapes more accurate
    arms need most work right now, breast area is too dense ie too many loops
  • Onuris
    @Ruz:
    Also, in case it isn't obvious, I'm not going for realism as much as I am trying to emulate her comic book look, Tank Girl looks too real and she starts reminding me of that horrid movie with Lori Petty.

That said, I will be adjusting polyflow tomorrow. I'll be taking care of the extra boobpolys and adding some more loops to the legs and boots for some better details. As for the arms, as I said going for her comic book look, not for realistic musculature and all that.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The arms are just wrong in places, it has nothing to do with looking comic book:)
    I am thinking particularly of those lumps on the forearms
  • Onuris
    Well, there is a bulge in the muscles of the forearm near the elbow. Is that what you're talking about? I did make it more extreme of a bulge than it naturally is, but that was to go with the comic book style. Perhaps you could point out more specifically if that's not what you meant?
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Post your references mate, its impossible to critique you if when you dont post refs and dont seem receptive to comments about realistic proportions. Gotta give people something to work with.
  • bbob
    Well, there is a bulge in the muscles of the forearm near the elbow. Is that what you're talking about? I did make it more extreme of a bulge than it naturally is, but that was to go with the comic book style. Perhaps you could point out more specifically if that's not what you meant?

Even when doing cartoon, you have to give your characters pleasing proportions, which, to be brutally honest with you, this model does not have.

Do yourself a favour, don't let "toon" become an excuse to be lazy or complacent. Even moreso, don't underestimate the advice of people, if you actually listen, some of these pro's will likely spend some of their precious time to help you and the other people reading your thread, get better.

Having a vision, and staying true to that is admirable, but if a lot of people tells you that its meh, you should maybe start rethinking your vision.

Just saying..
  • Onuris
    bbob wrote: »
    Even when doing cartoon, you have to give your characters pleasing proportions, which, to be brutally honest with you, this model does not have.

Do yourself a favour, don't let "toon" become an excuse to be lazy or complacent. Even moreso, don't underestimate the advice of people, if you actually listen, some of these pro's will likely spend some of their precious time to help you and the other people reading your thread, get better.

Having a vision, and staying true to that is admirable, but if a lot of people tells you that its meh, you should maybe start rethinking your vision.

Just saying..

I'm aware that the first post here has horrible proportions, but the rest, I'm having a hard time seeing how there's nothing good about any of the proportions.

As for it being an excuse, making it the comic style has nothing to do with me being lazy; me being lazy is me being lazy. I've had a real hard time even motivating myself to work on this at all the past week. I haven't been in the mood to do much of anything at all since my grandmother died, but I have a final. Part of the final is posting it for critique. If it weren't for this requirement, I wouldn't be posting it because I'm not in the right mindset to even be getting critique or doing any work right now.

I appreciate that I have been getting feedback, I'm just being an ass about it and I apologize to you all for that.

That said, I have an update. I did actually tone down the forearm bulge and squared out some of the longer polys as suggested. I'm in the middle (closer to the start) of zbrushing her. I'm also posting links to some references for her. If anyone feels that my proportions are really far off from my references, perhaps you could be so kind as to redline my problem areas instead of just telling me that they're off?

Zbrush start:
    TG07.png

References:
    http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/590/draft_lens8210461module70484841photo_1258934931Tank-Girl.jpg
    http://www.ezequielcruz.com/media/slideshow/personal/14.jpg
    http://dadadot.org/sr/tank.jpg
    http://www.grrl.com/chair.gif
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    improving man. ears are a bit too far forward on the side view.
    fingers are a bit spidery and the bags under the eyes look a bit off.
    yeah don't take anything too personally, we are just pointing out mistakes in a matter of fact sort of way.
    I would still honestly try and get some ref for a naked female - side view front view etc and use that as a base. you can still make it more stylized after you get the basics right.
    sorry to hear about your grandmother, perhaps focusing on the work might help you.
    Doing work always helps me if I feel a bit down
  • Onuris
    Yeah, the ears are too far forward, I will move them back once I get it back into Max.
    The fingers, I hadn't touched much in zbrush at that point, so they were just getting thinned out by the smoothing, I touched them up a bit today, and they're looking better, but still not done (looking at them now, they're far from done, they're still not nearly as thick as they are in Max). The bags under the eyes are gone, don't quite know what I was thinking there.
    I'm trying not to take anything personally, and I do apologize for being an ass, I'm just not all there mentally still.
    I spent a bit of time today looking at naked people on 3d.sk, and I made some notes about things to alter on the low poly once I'm back in Max.

Here's an update from the short time I had to work on her today:
    Headshot: TG08.png
    The lips are looking a bit odd in Zbrush, but I should be able to fix it.

Fullbody:TG09.png

Again, thanks for your input.
  • Onuris
    No update yet today, about to head into the school to work on it again though. I still need to model her some goggles, anyone have any requests for another prop/accessory? I was thinking she'd look good with something on her belt, but not sure what.
  • Onuris
    Update:

More Zbrush detail, base color polypaint, will be taking it back to Max and fixing things and adding detail to the Diffuse and making a spec in Photoshop.

Pictures:
    TG08-1.png

TG09-1.png

Throw words at me! Thanks.
  • Mitchell Banks
    Looks great! I remember those comics. You are going to have to show me how you went about the ears sometime over break if possible.
  • Onuris
    Ok, so since it's due tomorrow morning, I'm calling it done enough. Diffuse wasn't required, but I did the basic one anyway (I would have put more work into it if it had been required, for instance, the one-tone skin wouldn't be one tone). Anyway, I think I fixed the anatomical errors, I hope. Ears are positioned right, I moved the eyes down, made the arm slightly more realistic and thickened her waist just a tad; I did still want to keep it true to the Tank Girl comic book style though.

Anyway, here's some pictures, tell me how much you hate it and why so that I can improve in the future. Thanks.

TGD1.png

TGD2.png

TGD3.png

Thanks for looking and putting up with me.