Home Technical Talk

Error on SMD export. (3DS Max)

When trying to export a view model reference, I get the following error:
Writing Meshes...
* "bip_hand_R"
WARNING: Could not get a material for mesh "bip_hand_R". Skipping mesh.
Assign a Standard or Multi/Sub-Object type material to it.

bip_hand_R is a bone, why would it need a material?

On a semi-unrelated matter, are there any good UV Mapping tutorials?

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Are you sure there is no mesh named bip_hand_R in your scene ? Or an edit mesh/edit poly modifier on your bone object ?
  • CCNezin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    Are you sure there is no mesh named bip_hand_R in your scene ? Or an edit mesh/edit poly modifier on your bone object ?

Huh, I think I accidentally converted that bone to a patch. (Note that I don't know much about 3DS) Is that the problem? Is there anyway to undo that?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mesh needs a material in the diffuse slot, it needs to be named the same name as the .vmt and .vtf file(s). It can be whatever format .psd, .jpg, .tga, ect but the name should match because that name gets compiled into the .smd and that's how it finds the vmt/vtf files.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ?Update might help.
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=15115285

If you have already hope you find a solution.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    well yeah i think converting the bone to a patch is deffo the problem. If it's only a modifier above your modifier pile, just remove it, else it's gonna be a bit tiedous to correct. If there's not much skinning work, i would suggest to reimport the bones and redo the skinning part. It may works if you put a material on it but i doubt it, and it woudn't be very clean anyway.
  • CCNezin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed the bone problem and didn't get an error, but now the weapon is way out of place in-game, I can't even see it. It also has no texture, but it is visible. (model viewer)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CCNezin wrote: »
    It also has no texture, but it is visible. (model viewer)
    Ahem...
    Vig wrote: »
    The mesh needs a material in the diffuse slot, it needs to be named the same name as the .vmt and .vtf file(s). It can be whatever format .psd, .jpg, .tga, ect but the name should match because that name gets compiled into the .smd and that's how it finds the vmt/vtf files.
    If you've done that then you need to make sure your vmt and vtf files are set up correctly and in the right spot.

As for the modeling being way off, if you exported without it skinned to a bone, then it is using the objects local pivot which is probably way off in the distance. You should reset it on the hierarchy tab, affect pivot only, alignment, Center to Object.
  • CCNezin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahem...

If you've done that then you need to make sure your vmt and vtf files are set up correctly and in the right spot.

As for the modeling being way off, if you exported without it skinned to a bone, then it is using the objects local pivot which is probably way off in the distance. You should reset it on the hierarchy tab, affect pivot only, alignment, Center to Object.

Ah, I think you're correct about the bone part. I think that after I merge the mesh that the bones are parented to, and another object, the bones become un-parented, any way to fix this?

EDIT: Actually, it's when I convert to object to a poly (In order to apply textures) that everything becomes un-parented.
  • CCNezin
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mesh should use the skin modifier to attach to the bones.
  • CCNezin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mesh should use the skin modifier to attach to the bones.

You mean after they become un-parented? I can't just re-skin it completely, it's mostly a Valve model, and I suck at skinning.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Converting a bone to a mesh or poly shudn't affect the hierarchy, but i repeat, i don't think it would work. In the best case your bone will be considered as a model and become visible in-game, or it may be badly interpreted and screw your animations.
    So you have to make a new bone, place it the same way (with aligh tool) and reparent it, or just reimport the mesh of your model onto a fresh import of valve's model and re-skin.
    edit: well, now i read the post again, i don't understand a shit, so if you are still in trouble, you can post your .max somewhere so we could take a look at it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edit: well, now i read the post again, i don't understand a shit, so if you are still in trouble, you can post your .max somewhere so we could take a look at it.
    I agree.

Also what kind of model are you trying to compile, a static prop, a view weapon model, a world model, a player? Does it animate?
  • CCNezin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Converting a bone to a mesh or poly shudn't affect the hierarchy, but i repeat, i don't think it would work. In the best case your bone will be considered as a model and become visible in-game, or it may be badly interpreted and screw your animations.
    So you have to make a new bone, place it the same way (with aligh tool) and reparent it, or just reimport the mesh of your model onto a fresh import of valve's model and re-skin.

No, I convert the model to a poly and the bones don't deform it any more.

I am trying to export a view model reference.