Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

kick-ass, noobie character help

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Hoopla! polygon
good morning pc nation. this is my first real attempt into characters so bare with me here. just got a dvd tut from eat3d and wanted to test my skills by making a rendition of Kick-Ass, kinda going more for the comic book kick ass since i can interpret the face how i see it and not have to be so precise, since im probably not skilled enough to capture a likeness that well anyway.

this is still early on for this guy, have not added zippers and a lot of details to the suit, mask, shoes, gloves, etc. figured i would get some input if i could, to see what should be redone or changed before i go further.

so, here are a couple of quick caps i did as my progress slowly rolls along. let me know what you think, if you would.

started with a low res mesh from the tut, working exclusively in zb.

thanks for any comments or assistance, im having a lot of fun with this so far, really want to see it turn out well.

NEWEST IMAGES: 2afd309.jpg

ORIGINALLY POSTED:
57003560.jpg
12698300.jpg
kickass2009110502344963.jpg
kickass23449635.jpg

Replies

• Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    hmm, what would you change about the proportions in particular? thanks for the response.

i did some reworking since the last post, shrug.

having fun with this, altho im def losing a lot of tightness to this. still learning all the tricks of zb. good times.

a47xh0.jpg
    vxe9s.jpg
  • af3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    af3d polycounter lvl 10
    I would widen the jaw, right now he has mature and masculine cheek bones, but his jaw is much too small resulting in a creepy looking face. The bottom of the pectoral muscles seem like they need to come down a little bit. The arms seem like they are too long, and the hands have some problems, 1) the fingers are too thin, 2) the knuckles are missing and there are some odd looking grooves that extend to the middle of the palm, I suggest modeling the hand in a more relaxed pose, to give it a more natural look. This goes for the whole model as well, right now you have modeled him as if he is nailed to the cross, if you spread the legs a little bit and lower the arms to about 45 degrees the flaws in proportion should stand out a bit more. On a final note, the suit wouldn't ride up in a wedgie :P I advice trying on some spandex yourself and observing the behavior.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    lol, definitely gona go to thrift store and try on spandex - "excuse me ma'm, is this riding up my ass?" yeah good point, thats what i get for extracting it.

i neglected the hands b/c he wears gloves, so i actually wont be going back over those, tho i agree they are wonky. pecks got lowered on the new vers, hard to tell with suit on. i think the arms look long b/c i didnt have perspective on when i grabbed the screenshots?

good idea about the pose, i will reposition and give him the once over after he gets boots and gloves, thanks for the input.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    face reference. kick_ass-comic1.jpg
  • af3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    af3d polycounter lvl 10
    ah I haven't seen the comic, just the movie. If you are using those pics as reference then you should make the nose, ears and lips bigger.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    the ears were bigger but it looked way nutts.

hmm, yeah his nose is way longer... i was having trouble getting the lips to look how i wanted them. . . must achieve more control in zb.
  • Hoopla!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Nice gloves, the body may need to be revisited though.
    ass is flat, even men have meat there.
    hands are flat in the original, your update seems to fix this.
    and the front of the body is flat from the nipples to the knees.

post more angles and keep going! :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ass....kick. he should call himself Asskick...

good stuff, looking forward to this one :D
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    @almighty_gir, lol, yeah. i could quote this movie all day man. i love it. thanks bro, should be done next week sans any distractions. thanks!

@shrew81 Thanks,i am currently reworking the body/suit, ass, chest and legs need to be more believable. thanks for the input, everything helps.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    small update here, trying to work the head into a more believable model.

c c welcome. keep in mind the only the eyes nose mouth will be showing thru the mask.

2itq1qr.jpg
    rhqqll.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I would suggest looking up some images of Aaron Johnson for reference. I know you're going for something more like the comic, but it still wouldn't hurt to have the proper anatomy.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    cool, thanks i will. im always looking to improve on my anatomy knowledge. im going for a more realistic look than i have here. thanks again mate.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    still working the face, figured i might as well post the boots up.
    103iq7d.jpg
    a1onlk.jpg
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    some more progress, screengrabs very wip still.
    zgrab03.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    I would recommend you to go some levels down and Define the shapes more ;)
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    hey cap, i plan to go thru again and smooth out some of the wobbly areas such as, the nose, eyes. etc. just trying to work that likeness more. i feel like its starting to look like aaron johnson now at least. thanks for the comment.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    what Hoopla! said...your nose looks flat, needs more roundness i dont know whats happening beside your head is it a big scar?
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    hey, jungsik. yes those will be wounds on his face but there is no defuse on this right now so it looks funny.

im also trying to work out how to do his eyebrows best. i tried a few tutorials but i didnt really like the method as far as being able to bake it down. i want to essentially just sculpt and paint them but other than dragging out a photo sourced or digi-painted complete brow, i cant seem to get the look i want. ::shrug::
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    You're not at the point of smoothing out wobbly areas yet. I second Cap's suggestion to step back a few detail levels, and better define the forms of the face.

Right now, the entire head looks like a robot simulacrum of the head. You're missing bone definition, skull masses, etc.

Now, even if you were going for a more stylized cartoon look, then you's still want to step back.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    hmm, ok. ill take a second look and try to get that underlying bone structure to pop more. thanks vertrucio
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Nose needs alot of work. This might help.

http://vimeo.com/12336409
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    Awesome, very informative, thanks Calabi!

back to work for me.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    f0ccd5.jpg

hows the nose looking?

any other suggestions?

thanks in advance.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    here is a better render and some more work. kickass.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    At this point you might as well push for as realistic as possible as right now you're kinda caught in the uncanny valley with that face. A quick GIS brings us this:

575595-kickass_set_2_super.jpg

As you can see all you need to pull off the masked version of Kick-Ass is a generic looking relatively normal build having male. So, take this as an opportunity to work out a basemesh, study anatomy from the skull outward and come back at this with a fury.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The nose is better, but they dont really flare like that. The Alar sidewalls need to be more obvious, a crease cut in above them which carrys on down into the cheek crease. You also have him smiling which is going to mess up the anatomy and confuse things.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    MattQ86, thanks! the face is def in an "in between" stage right now. i think if i go back over and crease and wrinkle in some key places i can get at least a somewhat realistic likeness going on here.

i should have mentioned that i'v decided to make this my version of "kick ass 2.0" so i will be drawing up some concepts of a new and improved version of the suit. im playing around with adding armor, new weapons, etc. im worried about going anywhere yet with the base until the concept is pretty well visualized. im not sure what will or what will not be showing and i have spent a lot of time redoing things on this project. i think the bust can get plopped ontop of whatever i decide on. thanks for the response, i undoubtedly have a lot of work ahead of me :)

Calabi, yes definitely, i still need to go back and dam standard where the skin would be folding.

you think the nostrils are to flared? is it it the bottom coming in to much where they connect to the rest of the face? not sure exactly what needs to change other than the creasing.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No they arent to flared, I just think they need more of an indication that they are two separate structures, they dont flow into one another as smoothly(usually). Where I mean, is you have the central trunk of the nose and then the point where they flare out, which is where I think it needs more definition.

See image here.

http://www.body-piercing.com.au/body_piercing_images/septum2.jpg
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    oh ok, sweet. easy to fix. dam standard in route. thank you sir.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    go down some sub divs and get the face structure correct. Right now the face structure is kind of all over the place. Seems like a lot of generalization.

What are you using for reference for the head?
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    Hey Kewop, i have had to use several different shots, mostly just from google. i used some other references of different people to get more close up details.

this is what i used most of the time. had a hard time finding a more orthographic shot of him.
    flyt0k.jpg

i'l go back down and try to move things for a better likeness. he is pretty "average-man" right now.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    little update. sorry for the blue man look.

honesty por favor.

blueman.jpg

i will post some concepts for the suit soon.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Did a quick paintover. I'm not too familiar with kickass, just some things I felt could be done looking at it.

kickasshead.jpg
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    Thanks, Two Listen!

i will keep that in mind when i go back over the face.

i could use some more c&c here i think.
    again, thanks in advance, pcounters.
    21nmohy.jpg
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    headed for a more heroic look now, decided to make it kick ass 2.0 i want to make him more like kick ass after the movie, lots of money to buy gear and a bit more grown up and muscular. his suit will have some armor also.
  • bubbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your eyes, nose and ears needs more lovin'. I think the reference that you have there don't exactly match too well...and since you're a beginner, that might be a problem (if used in Roto)
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    Hey bubbie, thanks for the comment. i agree, the face is not done yet, the ears are a bit of a dilemma for me as they will be covered with his mask but are probably going to get some love now just so i can show the model without a costume on. i had planned to skip them but have since reconsidered. those references have worn out their usefulness now as i have found better more detailed photos.

i gave the face a rest as i was feeling kinda hyperbolic and wanted to try to get the rest of the model up to speed before i lost whats left of my mind.

thanks for the imput /agree
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    ok here is another update, still need to go thru and rework some things but i wanted to show where i was. i know iv gone off base from the original kick ass but im happy with where its gone. once i have a good idea of pose and and im done with armor concepts and pants and such i will add another level of fine detail and make sure eyes and such are spot on. i still plan to put a mask on so ears will probably remain rather not detailed.

2afd309.jpg