Home Technical Talk

how do you unwrap an object to a non square map grid??

Hi, I want my object to use a 512x1024 map. How do i render that out?

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    This is for Max, but I guess it can be adapted for any application...

I'd just unwrap the model how you would normally do, but arrange the shells in one half of the UV Tile...then scale everything in one axis until it fills the UV Square completely...when you then render your non-square Map/UV Layout, all should be fine...in Max you can also change the aspect ratio of the UV Editor to work in non square UV-Space, but I never used that...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In max, in the UV editor window click the options button (lower right), turn on "Use Custom Bitmap Size" and set it to 512x1024.

OR

Save out a blank place holder image that is 512x1024, apply that to your object and in the upper right corner of the window set it to use the texture and it should change to the right dimensions.
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    Hi, I want my object to use a 512x1024 map. How do i render that out?

It doesn't mean what modeling package you are using - follow the steps:
    1. Unwrap your mesh as usually - as if you were using a typical square layout.
    2. Now arrange uv-shells (uv-islands, uv-elements) in two ajadacent square tiles. In your case you should cover a 1x2 rectangle.
    3. Using precise scaling operation of uv-editor (or third-party tools, utils) scale your layout to fit 1x1 rectangle. In your case you must scale V-axis by 50%.
    4. Now export your UVs to the Photoshop (or any other suitable package) in resolution 512x1024 and go on texturing.

It's important to know that neither MAX nor any other package can do RELAX or ROTATION of compressed UVs so to tweak your shells you'll have to "unscale" you 1x1 tile to the original 1x2.