Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Conan the old barbarian

hello boys and girls, I'm back with another sculpt. This time it's my entry for the comicon challenge at GA. This years twist is to change the age of your comicbook character of choise. So basically I decided to put some more age into conan and let his body deteriorate a little.

The first highres pass is getting close to finished and then I'll retopo, UV, add some basic textures before adding the final touches to the highres in terms of smaller details and whatever.

The image is quite small and doesn't show alot of detail but in this first pass I'm only focusing on the big picture and feel of the character. Closeups will come during the second pass.

anyways, you know the deal. got any crits or comments please take a minute to write them down :thumbup:

latest.jpg

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    That's how it's done!

Only suggestion would be adding some scars to reflect his age.
  • kotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh right! thanks fer the reminder shotgun :thumbup:

here's a todo list for my own sake:

- scar tissue
    - soles under feet
    - holster for the sword
    - more veins
    - random details on the back of the legs
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now this is art!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    you could probably get away with making him more ripped since stallone at 64 is still in better shape than most
    sylvester-stallone-in-the-expendables-2.jpg
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I think it look great. But you could make him a bit more heroic and get away with it. I mean right now he looks like a regular guy. Oh and add a Beard. Old warriors always have Beards. I also agree with adding some scars.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    speaking of connan... Arnold kinda let himself go..
    arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great. The title made me think of the old conan from the discworld books:

http://en.wikivisual.com/index.php/Image:The-last-hero.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This doesn't look like an old dude who used to be strong. This just looks like an old dude. A very convincing, anatomically solid old dude, but i would never think aging king of barbarians if i saw this dude without context -- i would think old bureaucrat.

Reference Arnold, as above, and other big guys.

Triple the size of his shoulders, put a TON more mass on his lats (although you can totally make his posture even worse, the dude's old and been sitting on a throne for 20 years), more fat on the arms (they dont match the level of fat on the body anatomically unless the dude's got no biceps), make the legs WAY bigger, and think about the chest! You can see the form defined by the sternum right under those man-tits -- does that make sense considering the size of conan's pecs with fat over them? Ref arnold, again.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really great. I especially like the way you nailed the "old-man-paper-skin"- feel.

Right now, something about his face makes me think Indian. A beard, as was mentioned, would fix this but there's probably also a better way.
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow... now that's a great sculpt already, and you're still going to be adding more.

One thing I'd suggest is to add a tear or something to the edge of the boots so they don't look so symmetrical.

You definitely know your way around anatomy.
  • kotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments guys, the Image above has been updated with a couple of tweaks and a sword etc. I'll not add any more muscle mass at this stage, maybe later after the retopo and base texture depending on how it looks at the time.

as for looking like a regular guy that's the base I want to start at before texturing and then see what happens when I add scars and other details.

I did use that arnold at the beach pic as a base ref and then mixed in some random overweight 60 year old dude from 3d.sk
    He does have some native features witch will hopefully be a bit closer to conan then a straight out caucasian.

I've started to work out the symmetry on the boots and prepare him for bakaege wich will change his appearence a bit concerning the shoulders and upperarm, possibly making them look a little more muscular. I still need to straighten his fingers a little and work on them some more. I'll post a new update once he's fully in the new pose.

thanks again :thumbup:
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Marine wrote: »
    you could probably get away with making him more ripped since stallone at 64 is still in better shape than most

the question is why does he look like that? i doubt in the times of conan, botox, plastic surgery and anabolics would be pretty common
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perfect in every way.
  • kotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox: good point! I'll borrow that excuse :D

Vig: thanks man!

so the retopo is just about done and the gear lowres have been blocked out. Since the major pices are there in their correct shapes I've been able to lay out the UV's and can continue on the second highres pass and use some textures for sculpting ref.

first post is updated with a test bake to see if I'm geting enough detail in all areas.