Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ford Tudor 1936

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
bloodmoon polycounter lvl 8
So I've been working on this car for a few days now. Trying to create something nice for my portfolio. Right now I'm at tweaking the model and texturing the chassi.

I've used a bit more polys than I originally intended to try to bring out the round shapes better than a normal would have done. (I think)

Details still missing are:
vents on the sides
front grill
window wipers
exhaust
might do interior at a later stage.

The car textures are at 2x 2048 (diffuse and spec) and the tires have 3x 512 (diffuse, normal and spec)

Was planing to make one clean version and one rusted and dirty.

Any crits are very welcome.

(This is the first time I try to create a car ^_^)

Thanks

ford_tudor_wip.jpg

Here are some of the refs I have been using.
tudor_refs.jpg

Replies

• Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Accuracy is way off; proportions and shapes and everything - you can tell just at a glance compared to your pictures. I'd say you really need to take a look at your references more closely when modeling. Your textures seem to not really have anything in them, and the chrome parts are too bright.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beyond accuracies, the color is way too strong and uniform. it looks like just a color material and it hasn't been textured at all.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Your modeling is not too bad but there are several forms that can be pushed to further bring in an appropriate amount of scale.

I highly recommend you check out Xoliuls Hot Rod Tutorial
    http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3ds-max/3ds-max-tutorial-hot-rod/

The lack of high poly normal mapping is causing your textures to look really flat. Building these individual pieces force you to study the vehicle a lot more and really compare the aesthetics to the overall framework of the vehicle.

This is your first model, so it's a huge learning experience for you and good job on stepping up and presenting what you have on your plate. Keep pushing yourself and keep posting!
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits all.

I've started to re-work the silhouette of the car to make it more like the original. I have to say it was not far off since i've been using a blueprint to model from.

About the texture I actually am working on it and the body is only one color. I thought I did write that in the original post but guess i missed that part.
    So I know the texture needs a lot of work since it's "empty" on details.

Thanks for the tutorial tip I'll check it out a bit later. Think I've seen it before but it was a while ago.

And it's only my first car not my first model at all. ^_^

Going to post more pics of the new and improved ford later this weekend.
    Thanks
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloodmoon wrote: »
    Thanks for the crits all.

I've started to re-work the silhouette of the car to make it more like the original. I have to say it was not far off since i've been using a blueprint to model from.

About the texture I actually am working on it and the body is only one color. I thought I did write that in the original post but guess i missed that part.
    So I know the texture needs a lot of work since it's "empty" on details.

Thanks for the tutorial tip I'll check it out a bit later. Think I've seen it before but it was a while ago.

And it's only my first car not my first model at all. ^_^

Going to post more pics of the new and improved ford later this weekend.
    Thanks

Blueprints are almost never accurate on their own. Always take blueprints with a grain of salt and heavily rely on photo references.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh wrote: »
    Blueprints are almost never accurate on their own. Always take blueprints with a grain of salt and heavily rely on photo references.
    Well I did ^_^ you see the photo refs I had + the blueprint. Still working on the new silhouette. Just UV lay-outing it again.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloodmoon wrote: »
    Well I did ^_^ you see the photo refs I had + the blueprint. Still working on the new silhouette. Just UV lay-outing it again.

Well, it's not showing, because the model as you posted it is way way off.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A updated version. I decided to go with the Tudor version with no bump at the backboot. Geometry and texture updated.
    till WIP and black parts are untextured.

Tudor_ver0.5.jpg

UVlayout on the chassi (resized for better view):
    chassi_sheet.jpg

WIRE:
    tudor_wire_ver1.jpg

Blueprint:
    blueprint_tudor.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That blueprint is horribly inaccurate and is obviously of some kind of hotrod (and not a perfect side view; hence why there's so much roof above the side windows)

You REALLY need to work on looking at refs and comparing them to your model.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    You need to work more with the texturing part dude, In this case the shader does not do the textures any good. Not to exagerate, but that texture could as easy be the texture of an aple. Front grill isnt very convincing without a normal map.

Here are some pics for reference:

potomac.jpg

09c455d5b7b9.jpg
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi thanks for the input. What I read about the Mafia 2 cars the bodies of the cars are just solid colors with a shader applied for the reflections and a specular and bump map on it.

Btw I have not worked on the front grill yet so it's to be made later same with the windows^_^

Here is a update on the car from yesterday. Texture is not final just wip.
    Tudor_ver1.5.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I actually like the latest iteration. Keep working on it! :)
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    The back window texture grime is noticeably mirrored and I presume, although you cant really see it at those angles, the front will be the same. It may be worth using a small map decal at those areas to break the uniformity
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly wrote: »
    The back window texture grime is noticeably mirrored and I presume, although you cant really see it at those angles, the front will be the same. It may be worth using a small map decal at those areas to break the uniformity

Yes its mirrored both in the back, front and sides. The front and sides aint that noticeable in my own thought. But the rear window is under work ^_^ Thanks for the comment.
  • Sixshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sixshot polycounter lvl 8
    Looks significantly better, but the grill still needs a of work. At this point, that's my biggest complaint. I'm more of a noob than you, so maybe I'm completely off, but I feel like more geometry around the area would help define it.

Also, the texture on the grill is really weird. You have some of the lines coming out of others, and going off at weird angles. They should all be parallel, running from the bottom to the top.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All the ref pics you show are of the humpback version, that has to confuse people...

I think you made a big mistake modeling it all out as one contiguous mesh. The doors don't look like they are separate objects. You're also missing some of the subtle details

I think you have enough polygons there that you could optimize it heavily without effecting the overall shape and create a fairly low poly version of the interior. You should definitely round out the grill its after all it is a signature piece of the car, at the bare minimum you should address the stretching.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    All the ref pics you show are of the humpback version, that has to confuse people...

I think you made a big mistake modeling it all out as one contiguous mesh. The doors don't look like they are separate objects. You're also missing some of the subtle details

I think you have enough polygons there that you could optimize it heavily without effecting the overall shape and create a fairly low poly version of the interior. You should definitely round out the grill its after all it is a signature piece of the car, at the bare minimum you should address the stretching.

Thanks for your comment.

Yes, I started out with the humpback version of the Tudor but changed my mind. While the rest of the car is looking the same on both the regular and humpback I keept the refs.

I have planned to make a low poly interior for it and making the windows transparent after interior is made.

The grill is also on my to do list right now its to blocky and wide since I have not really put any work in on the grill yet.

I actually started out with the hood, fenders, tires and details as separate objects and the rest of the car as a object. Since this is the first time I try to create a car I learn along the way. Next time I try on a car I believe it's going to be much less fuzz getting it ready.

Well there is still work to do on this car so I better get to it ^_^
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update on the Tudor. Fixed the front grill and smoothed the texture out a bit. Two versions on the WIP list now. Clean and a dirty.

clean_tudor.jpg

dirty_tudor.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    the dirt color looks unrealistic, Is that a HP? Your front grill doesnt look metal-ish compare with those sides. There are some stretching in UVs?
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have not been to this thread for a long time now. Here is how the final ver. came out. Left it there to work on other model. Completed in September or so. ^_^
    andreashalonen.se_tudor.jpg