Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Zbrush - terrorists

Martizz1e
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Martizz1e polycounter lvl 9
One of my first real tries at using zbrush, specially for a character. Im making this terrorists for one of my classes. Started in 3ds max for the basemesh, but i might go back and retopologize later in zbrush.

29571995.jpg

464b9fec.jpg

3f020bd6.jpg

anyway let me know what i need to work on thus far

Replies

• maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man, you seriously need to check real anatomy references, right now muscles/proportions are a mess, sorry for the harsh comment, but if I was you I will go back to my max base mesh and be sure to correct all the anatomy proportions before going back to zb. Correct me if I am wrong but I have the impression you are not working from a reference, is that right?
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ......maybe he's an alien terrorist?.....
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    The neck area looks a little over the top/wierd to be a human terrorist, maybe your right achillesian. I think it could be a creature terrorist too.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Why's the terrorists gotta be muslim?

Right now though this thread is turning into a....

halolz-dot-com-counterstrike-counterterroristswin.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Please use anatomical references.

Sculpt out the body first, make sure it's sculpted correctly (or damn well close to correct). Then when you're finished with the body, then you can add clothing as a subtool. The folds of the clothing will rely on the form that's underneath.
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    What's up with his neck? It looks like he's got another head where his throat should be.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    There seems to be a lot of, for lack of a proper word I can't think of right now, stretching of your polygons going on in the neck, which is adding to it's weird look. Try to keep even distribution of polys throughout your model. It will help a lot in the sculpting process.

Also, if you play moonlight sonata and stare into his literally empty eyes it's the creepiest thing ever.
  • maze
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    he looks like he's growing an upside down dude for an adams apple, go look at some topology man :D
  • Martizz1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martizz1e polycounter lvl 9
    ok, been a few days. Tried to work on topo and anatomy as best i could. went in and tried to add the beginnings of some creases in the fabric. still needs lots of work though

f00141d6.jpg

4a4108f1.jpg

4a4108f1.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Anatomy is still horrible and your sculpting might be worse. Consider blocking out his clothing and importing it with the model in Zbrush.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    I would suggest starting a bit smaller, it looks to me like this is your first time using Zbrush.

There are tons of free online tutorials on Pixologic's site (Zbrush Classroom), I would suggest checking those out. Your anatomy is inaccurate, and your forms are very "blobby". Maybe starting out with a bust would be a little more feasible?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    nope, not buying it.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    this is a joke. someone made this to prank pc, right?

disregard if im wrong.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    That terrorist has the world's freakiest trapezius muscles.

Buy an anatomy book. Please. Please.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    First of all, Go down to the lowest subdivision level, Shape the body correctly use references to get the base shape correct, then go up one subd level and you add more detail, all in steps, from Big details on the first subd levels to smaller details on the highest levels of subd, Right now it looks horrible, it looks like if a 5 years old made a clay figure on the school, about a terrorist :|.
    You dont need to buy an anatomy book, just google for references and you will get the idea, Copy from reality what you see, and try to match your model as close to reality, I bet you are doing this out of your head without any knowledge, and go in Parts, work on the head first for example. when you get it right move to the next section and so on.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    I think we all know how positive criticism works, and I'm no saint, but I don't think it's very appropriate to consider people's works "jokes" or say things are "horrible". He's put it up here to get feedback and joke or not, we have to assume that's what he's after. So please respect him for trying.

You definitely need to research into some zbrush tutorials - that's probably the best solution so far, and study anatomy. That's the fastest way to start developing results. Unfortunately at your current level it's not a thing you can jump right into it and make amazing things - like you've tried - without some proper training.

~snow
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    On top of the anatomy, you should look at reference photos to see how cloth reacts against the skin. Right now, those don't look like wrinkles, they look like strange scars, as if he was whipped, or veins. Wrinkles don't just bunch up with you have them here, they dip back in and have all sorts of intricacies, and depending on the fabric the wrinkles could be tight or loose.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    your anatomy needs work start with your shoulders :)
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    snow wrote: »
    I think we all know how positive criticism works, and I'm no saint, but I don't think it's very appropriate to consider people's works "jokes" or say things are "horrible". He's put it up here to get feedback and joke or not, we have to assume that's what he's after. So please respect him for trying.

You definitely need to research into some zbrush tutorials - that's probably the best solution so far, and study anatomy. That's the fastest way to start developing results. Unfortunately at your current level it's not a thing you can jump right into it and make amazing things - like you've tried - without some proper training.

~snow

Word
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    You have to learn how to walk before you can run. It's been said here a million times and it'll be said a million more.

Have you made any successful character models in Max? I would suggest getting a solid grasp on proper anatomy in Max before jumping into Zbrush. It's easy for things to get out of control quickly when you're sculpting and if you don't have a firm grasp of character modeling and anatomy first...well, here you are.

You should post your basemesh you said you made in Max(with wireframes and full turn-around)and see what people have to say about that.

And yes, "ha ha ha" does not constitute a constructive critique. Don't bother to crit at all if you're taking that route and don't let the door hit ya on the way out.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "And yes, ha ha ha"

hey Em. if you are referring to me, you should look at my first post in this thread I actually suggested him to use max as well. I just found funny what mattQ86 said in the end and that's it.