Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MegaMan 2 , Reinvision

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
Hey everyone, you might have seen these floating in the what your working on thread

I decided (inbetween the crazy 4 week crunch ive been on) to do some fun redesigns of the megaman 2 robot masters.

I figure some bold redesigns and some bright colors might be the way to go. So heres a few images of the current sculpts

gfs_29031_2_1.jpg

(1st was woodman in which I will be going back and tightening up things later)

woodman6.jpg

New Crashman:

crashman05.jpg

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    tighten up the eyelids and focus more on the sculpts. i'm more interested in seeing the clay sculpts on these... just mpo ... although the <3 MM is awesome :)

in particular on crashman, his eyelids don't really feel like they wrap over the form of the eye itself. the conjuctiva area should be more recessed. same for woodman. also, on crashman, the corner of his mouth and the fold of his cheekular whatsits... these should be closer together i think, given the expression that is.

looking forward to more! especially heatman and airman!
  • Justin Perreault
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Perreault polycounter lvl 7
    Nice, Crashman seems to villainous. Good work!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    you're definitely getting better, dude. nice work.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome dude, i love MM :D
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys I will have a update in a bit for crashman, I need to make his little drill bits flying out and I need to make his armor actually beaten up and not so slick
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flippin awesome. You did a good job of giving them a little bit of personality. So...woodmans heart/arrow with initials MM...do they have something going on behind the curtains? Just wonderin....
  • tex_cookiedough
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    love the wood man.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    right on man! cool idea for a project- and I really hope you get through em all! but also understand thats going to be an asston of work for a freetime project. I suppose if you keep them elegantly simple and put the details where they count you could probably get through all 8. it would be an interesting to practice quality control and using your time wisely.

so often I feel like people over detail things to ensure maximum awesome-ness and in the process create useless noise that gives the eye nowhere to rest.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    lolool, alberto loves the wood.
    Anyway, well done!
    Sex sauce!
    I know a couple of people that would literally make halfnhalf in their pants if they saw this!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a late night update...bleh I hate deadlines so much..vacation is looking so nice

crashman02.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    ^Those dents make it seem like his armor is made of material no thicker than an egg shell.^
    When you're making dents, keep in mind of how strong the material is supposed to be.
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    if that guys suit is metal i dont think it look cracked except for the paint....think of it as a car car dent

something like this
    auto-dent-removal.jpg

hope that helps
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i'd rather do bumps than dents like you did, really you shouold focus on making the armor awesome in subdiv, it'll always look better than sculpted.

the dents don't make any sense, what would have caused this ? the mega blaster ? then the metal should be melted and burnt, not bumped, or is this a bullet from humans trying to defend themselves ? even there, it doesn' tlook like a bullet hole, etc

http://www.carsuk.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/mclaren-f1-burn.jpg <- burnt metal ref, notice how the "layers" of the hull are separated and how and where the metal deforms because of the heat.

the faces, as I told you on MSN need a ton of work, the anatomy isn't there yet, I'd focus on sculpting that right instead of the armor ;), focus on where bones are attached, on where fat is, how the different features connect and overlap each other.

anyways, keep it up man
  • penrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penrod polycounter lvl 14
    Definitely listen to what Vahl has to say. I would try throwing a skull ztool underneath your current face that you have sculpted. I think some of the anatomy errors will be easily recognized. I might have a skull ztool I can send you. There are a lot of free ones out there.

Also, doing a facial expression like that is a challenge. I would try to take a picture of yourself in a mirror or have someone take a picture of you making that face for reference.

This guy has a lot of nice reference casts:

http://philippefaraut.com/store/reference-casts.html
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armor_piercing_shell_00.jpg

hmm how about something more like tank damage?

I think cars (being of a light metal//carbon fiber materials

would not make sense on a character such as this. I do want to try and make a scorched metal effect though (no idea how I will sculpt that)

As for the face and my obvious anatomy flaws. I will definitely be taking the recommend advice and try to get a skull underneath thre and repostiion pieces based on it.

question : Is there a way that I can have a sub tool (lets say the skull) be underneath my face model but have the face model be somewhat transparent so I can see how to reposition it correctly?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Your Woodman looks like Husky Harris.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    seforin wrote: »
    would not make sense on a character such as this. I do want to try and make a scorched metal effect though (no idea how I will sculpt that)

While the 'men would have armour, it wouldn't be thick as a tank, so the holes wouldn't go too deep before starting to show the robot interiors, here are some high-powered energy shot damage refs for you :)

That and you should really let the damages show what direction the shots came from, by having it be either direct spot on hits or glancing burns, all affecting the melting armour as it splashes it in the direction the shot came from.

IMG_0028.JPG

http://dc23-mecharts.blogspot.com/2009/11/mg-freedom.html
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok I am SO sorry these have not been updated in a while, I got really held up with deadlines at work and then shortly after a vacation to visit my family.

So I did some tests of things that I think fit the style and I kinda liked a metal under plate versus ripped up metals. Overall it just looked way to noisey for what im trying to do.

crashman03.jpg
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    think you need to raise the edges of the holes, at the moment it looks like someone cut parts out rather than he was hit with a mega blaster
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i agree with vahl about face anatomy, it seems you dont use any refs while sculpting adn that is really hurting the faces you make , i would suggest to make a new basemesh too i think the one you have has a somekind of problem near the mouth area where it creates some weird lines around the end of the lips.
  • BlazeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlazeF triangle
    I support your project! haha But yeah, I'd definitely suggest using some ref for your faces there. :)

Keep up the great work!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I played this shit out of this game on Gameboy when I was in 2nd grade....cool idea sir! I am really looking forward to your take on Metal Man, he was the first boss I defeated and woke up my parents one Saturday morning when I was running throughout the house yelling I KILLED METAL MAN!!! WEEEEEEE!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am really thinking of finishing this crappy guy just to get it out of the way, and then working on heat man next with a proper face ref all setup

Metal man will probably be shortly after it.

The 2 that worry me are airman and bubbleman as far as a redesign goes :S
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    its like my eyes are bleeding
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A update going for less eye bleed taking all the bits everyone suggested as I can (Next model I have a new workflow that will avoid alot of this (use more ref haha) )

crashman05.jpg
  • Jonathan Marshall
    These models are full of win.

I wanna see you do this to more oldschool games. and megaman/rockman himself!