Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Baby rock golem

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
I figured I'd make my own thread for this instead of polluting the WAYWO thread.
BabyRockGolemSS7.jpg
BabyRockGolemSS10.jpg

Replies

• Justin Perreault
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Perreault polycounter lvl 7
    Ahh little guy! this is wicked.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Im still seriously creeped out by this.

I think it needs more baby proportions...shorter, chubbier arms and legs to give it a younger look, right now i kinda looks like a baby face on an adults body, which is actually really cool...which is why it creeps me out! Never mind, I like it the way it is:)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    what baby does in rock golem's body? i just can't get %)
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    maybe i'm desensitized but it doesn't freak me out at all it looks wicked :D but i agree with the proportion comment instead of just throwing a baby face on a reg proportioned kinda golem
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    i dig this a lot.. kind a creepy, but i like it. I agree with the proportion comments, it also looks like that base mesh is a little dense, what are the plans for the model? Do you have specs you're shooting for?
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is cool, kind of like a hyper realistic Goron.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    This has potential, but I was expecting a cherub or something like those little Goron things from Zelda.

Perhaps maybe not put all that rugged details on it just yet, it should have more of a smoother, refined surface as would a human and perhaps just add some pores too. It is a rock after all.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Baby faces make everything creepy. Hell, I still have nightmares with the sun from Teletubbies.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the body and everything but that face totally creeps me out. maybe if you made it moore rocky...i dont know.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    It's a rock golem with a human baby's face. Make the face match the body in some way. If you're making the proportions based on that of a human infant, a baby's body is usually pudgy and not so muscular. If you want a muscular infant, make it an ape-like infant. Baby chimps and gorillas are incredibly strong at a very young age.

The silhouette of the head and shoulders already (vaguely) resembles that of a silverback gorilla.

Human infant => pudgy
    Any other type of ape infant => muscular

What will it be?

If you really insist on taking the route you're currently on, at least change the face and proportions up a bit. :)
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    This looks more like a baby in an oversized golem costume, and that's fine with me.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • ihour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think its a pretty cool concept. But i would agree with the rest on adopting a more baby like proportions on the body. I would also suggest breaking up the symmetry on the body to make it look more interesting.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What, no, don't use baby proportions for the body, of anything make it even bulkier, it's the contrast that sells it, the fact that it's a huge rocky golem with a baby face. I don't know what your intention is, especially regarding scale, but I would totally make it a huge Shadow of the Colossus type monster, changing the proportions would make it look like a deformed baby with a very weird condition IMHO.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Hey thanks for all of the suggestions guys! Yeah, part of my intention was to make a a sort of juxtaposition between the face and body. I kind of like the stockiness to it. And part of my intention was also to make it a little eerie. Really the main thing that makes it creepy are the glowing eyes. I'll try out the different options you guys have suggested though!
    If I fiddle with the proportions should I do it after I finish the mesh and bake the sculpt onto my model? It'd be a little pesky to edit the proportions and try to then edit the proportions of the corresponding sculpt to fit it
    As for the specs I'm aiming for, I don't really have an exact number in my head, but I wanted to make a higher density low poly for this one just 'cause. Probably around 20k, which is a little excessive, but I can live with it
    Interesting gorilla suggestion, I'll look into it
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    The proportions depends on what you're going for, supa. If it's meant to be bizarre looking then it's good the way it is and you should keep going. If you're going for a more cute looking baby then you should change the proportions. Here is some reference ;)
    never6.jpg
    edit: I started writing this before your last post :S
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of the creepy baby mask in Brazil!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reminds me of the creepy baby mask in Brazil!

Wait, what, what the hell is that, never heard of it...
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    brazil46.jpg
    You've never seen Brazil... you must! It's a Terry Gilliam film, it's excellent
  • ivanushka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I was going to say, "What a cutie pie", but that's just creepy - in a good way, 'course. I really like the way your base mesh has fanned out. I will say the the baby's face seems to be slapped onto the rest of the body, as though an after thought (although I'm sure this isn't your intention). Like ENODMI had suggested, perhaps you could play around with the arm/leg/body proportions.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    I'm unsure of your intention, but at the moment it appears as though a baby is imprisoned within the golem body. Given the diaper, I'm assuming that the golem is a baby and as such I'd like to see a little bit of work between the jagged body and the smooth face. Might be as simple as blending the surrounding area a little bit more.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI wrote: »
    brazil46.jpg
    You've never seen Brazil... you must! It's a Terry Gilliam film, it's excellent

Damn, Terry Gilliam as in Monty Python's Terry Gilliam?! Indeed it looks like a must-see, I'll look for it, thanks! :)
  • n88tr
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I died a little inside when I saw his body, but I can't deny that the work that was put into this is good.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    The creepiness is what makes it great! Keep the contrast.

But I agree with X-One that blending the face and rock together would make it look more like a baby golem and less like a baby in a golem suit.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks guys! I'll work on the transition between the face and body
    Here's an update on the base mesh. Sorry for not being very active on this, been busy with crap
    BabyRockGolemSS11.jpg
    (It's 9,460 tris without the placeholder eyes)
    Quick proportion test in ZB
    BabyRockGolemPE-1.jpg
  • Angroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look sweet, man! Reminds me of a fusion between a baby and a goron.

So you have some underlying concept behind this?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    The babe-like proportions do it justice.
    The face stands out too much, imo, perhaps further integration, like u've done around the ribs, would solidify his character.
    As a whole, I'd like to see more fleshy parts revealed, maybe the chunky biceps. There should be more spread between the rough stone and the (rarer) smooth flesh.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yep, definitely a fuse between a baby and a goron :D , that's a lot of tris you put into the low-poly model, it's going to be interesting to see the end-result :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I like the look of that lowpoly version, I would love to see it textured oldschool-style!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I second pior, i love that LP.

How did you do the retopo? Inside ZB, or...?
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks guys!
    [HP], I'm making the lowpoly in 3ds Max
    pior, it would be quite fun to make an old school painted texture for this guy as well!
    shotgun, yup, I'm going to experiment on the face and see how things turn out
    Chrisradsby and Angroc, yeah it kind of does look like a goron. Angroc, I kind of just had a basic idea and then sculpted (it went from there)
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Found some time to work on this a bit more. I'm almost done with the lowpoly, just need to do the feet
    BabyRockGolemSS12.jpg
    There are some patches of triangulation... that was me being OCD
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It might just be me, but this seems ridiculously high poly for something like this. There are alot of places where you could save quite a few polies and let the normal map do the job. 12 426 polies translates to roughly 23-24'000 tri's. And it doesn't seem like you have the feet done yet either. Now, this is just me talking, and i know know what the purpose of this character is for. But generally, for a game I'd say it's slightly too high poly. Like I said, if it's for a cinematic then you may disregard everything I just said.

Keep up the good work!
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    My bad Prophecies, those ARE tris, not polys. Just labeled it wrong :P
    And yeah, I know I could cut down on things, but I want to keep it a bit high just for the sake of making a mesh that's a little higher than what I'm used to
    BabyRockGolemSS13-1.jpg
    Also, silhouette
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think such a tri count would be just fine (if not a little low) depending on the scale relative to a player model (assuming this is not the main character model), for example If this was the size of a colossi from Shadow of the Colossus.