Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah looked at the larger version, twas an optical conclusion.. :D
  • zxcman
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    nice skill, bro!
  • Krazy8
    I know you have cowitness on your sights but where is your Rear Iron Sight? I figure you have the front one you need a back one even if it folds down lol. It just looks off. Even just a ghost ring sight lol. Everything else looks really crisp and clean I really like it. Thats a big saftey too lol.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Always nice to see my concepts in 3d, and this is quite a sexy interpretation. I like it!

A few suggestions:
    -the safety needs to connect to the body a bit more convincingly. Make it one solid piece. I think you're going for a rubber covering on the metal, but it doesn't work too well imo.
    -Dump the crap going from the bottom of the handle to the stock. That was just some wank bullshit I put in anyways. You can beef up the back end a bit to compensate.
    -The grip looks supremely uncomfortable. Probably should inset the textured part to be flush/nearly flush with the grip.
    -The block on the bottom side where the mag slides in has a giant beveled thing sticking out of it that serves no purpose and should be ditched.
    -The wheel detail above the mag is kinda distracting.
    -Why does nobody include the wires from the concept. WHY?

No love for the wires. T_T
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I remember this gun and i still dont understand how it works, but the shapes are awesome and you nailed em. As for crits, dfacto nailed em pretty much. nice HP dude :)
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Well this is unexpected!

dfacto's covered most of the critiques but for my part, having worked on DoD and spent a lot of time looking at the original asset it's fun to check out a decidedly different take of the design. I think some of the ribs are a little too goofy-future, but on the other hand the substitution of the eotech and your time spent detailing the front sight, birdcage flash hider etc. really help sell it as realistic weapon. it's been a pleasure to see your high poly work ever after that mammoth mp5 model, so thanks for posting.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    Krazy8 wrote: »
    I know you have cowitness on your sights but where is your Rear Iron Sight? I figure you have the front one you need a back one even if it folds down lol. It just looks off. Even just a ghost ring sight lol. Everything else looks really crisp and clean I really like it. Thats a big saftey too lol.

Aren't u suppose to removie it if u have better alternative? :o
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    Always nice to see my concepts in 3d, and this is quite a sexy interpretation. I like it!

A few suggestions:
    -the safety needs to connect to the body a bit more convincingly. Make it one solid piece. I think you're going for a rubber covering on the metal, but it doesn't work too well imo.
    -Dump the crap going from the bottom of the handle to the stock. That was just some wank bullshit I put in anyways. You can beef up the back end a bit to compensate.
    -The grip looks supremely uncomfortable. Probably should inset the textured part to be flush/nearly flush with the grip.
    -The block on the bottom side where the mag slides in has a giant beveled thing sticking out of it that serves no purpose and should be ditched.
    -The wheel detail above the mag is kinda distracting.
    -Why does nobody include the wires from the concept. WHY?

No love for the wires. T_T

yea gotta fix the grip, that beaveled thigie, though it would be a vent for cooling

That crap under the grip, I kinda llike it lol , makes it more "techy"

the round thingie is part of the loading mechanism, should have done it better

And for the wire, u mean concept? I'll post that up too :D
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    Aren't u suppose to removie it if u have better alternative? :o

Nope, that's why they're called backup ironsights--if your optic goes out you have a proper set of sights to use. Remove the rear sight entirely and this is no longer an option (granted it's an unlikely scenario with the battery life/quality of eotechs and aimpoints). This why you'll often see photos of military personnel, which are required to always have a BUI set, sometimes mount their detachable carry handle either in some cowitness position or even sometimes on a side rail. Magpul, Daniel Defense etc. most of your big name arms manufacturers sell some kind of flip-up front and rear sights. An example of the Magpul rear BUI:
    15egvpf.jpg
    This is a kinda cheapie plastic version but again, it really is meant only as a backup. If you use folding sights regularly you'd get an all-metal one.

Also I'm with dfacto, the wires are an integral part of the concept. He means the wires that are around the magazine/magwell (as memory serves), not wires as in wireframe.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Also I'm with dfacto, the wires are an integral part of the concept. He means the wires that are around the magazine/magwell (as memory serves), not wires as in wireframe.

Word. Gotta have some totally useless details up front.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Well and I'm a sucker for folding wire stock-type details, gives some nice variety the form vocabulary. That's how the heavies for DoD ended up with that semi-nonsensical "roll cage" bar around their neck.
  • EarthQuake
    Careful, Sandbag is gonna pop in here any minute now and tell you how this is totally unrealistic.
  • Disco Stu
    How is this unrealistic, it looks like the easiest to reload weapon ever.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx for the info, wasnt sure about that :)

about the wires, i think it would be annoying inserting a mag on a rush with it on,

modeling wise, it will be too expensive :P
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Careful, Sandbag is gonna pop in here any minute now and tell you how this is totally unrealistic.

lol yea i've seen your thread
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Could you post wires with and without TS?
  • doeseph
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not saying this is unrealistic, but it looks extremely, err, awkward to hold? I'm not sure if you would hold it on the clip, which looks to work against a comfortable hand position, or on that really tiny grip BETWEEN the clip and barrel...which looks only slightly more comfortable. I actually thought the entire clip flipped up to align with the barrel (how it unloads), only to find out it's a completely separate piece of the gun.

And wouldn't the bullet discharge into the face of the wielder?
  • Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, I like it plenty good yaaaah. :)
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph wrote: »
    I'm not saying this is unrealistic, but it looks extremely, err, awkward to hold? I'm not sure if you would hold it on the clip, which looks to work against a comfortable hand position, or on that really tiny grip BETWEEN the clip and barrel...which looks only slightly more comfortable. I actually thought the entire clip flipped up to align with the barrel (how it unloads), only to find out it's a completely separate piece of the gun.

And wouldn't the bullet discharge into the face of the wielder?

that + is u fire it u might lose an eye when that thing push backwards for loading another bullet

haha

but this is all about the art, its completely unrealistic. i agree
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    Could you post wires with and without TS?

there ya go

43379060.jpg

that snipping tool has really crappy quality, anyone knows how to change it?
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    The HP looks awesome dude! Personally, the realism doesn't bother me, because it just looks cool and that's really what matters imo.

I love how you do your HP renders also, I gotta use these as reference for future personal renders I do. Nice job!
  • boyluya
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Again, real damn good dude. Plus, I think game art or even digital art as a whole is not about realism but making something believable and interesting.

And like what Brad said, I really love your hp renders.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    interesting take on the concept. This isnt what you've been previewing in waywo is it?
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rock Bottom
    one word WOW! like always... dude you need to slow down on the greatness you make people like me look bad :P keep it up bro
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    craftsmanship on this is simply outstanding, same wit the rest of your work! Ive been kinda of a fan of yours for a while. So keep it!
  • maze
    ...any chances of getting lighting/shading tips? :poly124:

in any case, I share previous comments, solid stuff bro.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Don't you mean the SMG from 8Monkey Labs?
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Very nice modelling!

This weapon is simetric? :S i don't imagine myself changing the magazine, imo this weapon is cool looking, but not practical/functional.

Are you going to build a normal map model?
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx guys, appreciate the comments :)
    maze wrote: »
    ...any chances of getting lighting/shading tips? :poly124:

in any case, I share previous comments, solid stuff bro.

i used Vray to render with 3 Vray lights inside a box

hope that helps
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    Don't you mean the SMG from 8Monkey Labs?

yup
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Very nice modelling!

This weapon is simetric? :S i don't imagine myself changing the magazine, imo this weapon is cool looking, but not practical/functional.

Are you going to build a normal map model?

yea i guess i will and texture it sometime later :D
  • Sandbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    You're so far off the mark that you might want to just give up modeling forever.

itshootsaidsha2.jpg

^--official Dfacto concept art--^

EarthQuake wrote: »

aww, it's cute of you to think of me <3

I always like seeing the non-mesh smoothed model + wires, thanks for posting that. The modeling is quite solid, looking forward to seeing how you texture it. It's neat seeing how differently you interpreted it from Earthquake's model.
  • imb3nt
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
  • maze
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    thanx guys, appreciate the comments :)

i used Vray to render with 3 Vray lights inside a box

hope that helps

thanks man, I'll try that out.
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    great work man !
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    smgtexttemp.jpg

was bored thought ill play with it
    just a quick texturing take

thoughts of the style?
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Jaw dropping :O
    I realy love the sharp small scratches on the white metal :)

Critics:
    To much black grunge on the mag for my taste.
    And the spec on the flash hider looks to clean.
  • boyluya
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    You never cease to amaze me Lone. ^^
  • maze
    ...man thats @#$%! epic seriously! really like the low contrast/desaturation, it gives it a 'real life' touch. also those two red pieces stand out and balance the look I like that a lot. If I was to improve something maybe I'll take a second look at the handle. It seems a little noisy/bumpy to me (Im being picky here...), I know that the pattern is like that, but maybe subtle it just a little bit.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    TBH like on the MP5, that black grunge looks pretty awful. What caused it to get like that when everything else is fairly clean? It doesn't make sense. Remove it from the diffuse and maybe try putting it on the spec only. Just remember that you can grunge without making things look dead, and that specular is everything.

The tan painted metal looks really nice. The scuffs are fantastic. I would however like to see some more localized edge wear because right now it seems to be wearing mainly on the flat areas, which the real thing probably wouldn't.

Right now everything is either tan painted metal or a gray metal. Play with some different tones and materials to make it a bit less uniform. Something sci-fi like this seems like a perfect candidate for some plastics. That said, I know this is very early, so push on I suppose.
  • n88tr
    the grunge on the mag like racer says look strange. looks sort of like cracked concrete or slate or something.

a more complicated stock would look nice, maybe some Magpul design. They have tons to pick from.