Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Leslie Van den Broeck

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
Since i have to start contacting gamestudios for an internship position i decided to make my first portfolio.

This is what i have atm , still lacks some content but i would like to get some suggestions of what i could maybe add so it would make my portfolio more appealing towards the people i contact.

http://www.leslievdb.com/

All crits are very welcome!

tnx

EDIT : WORKING ON THE SITE IMPLEMENTING SUGGESTIONS SO LAYOUT MIGHT BE WRONG AT SOME TIMES

Replies

• tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Hi there RavenSlayer,

That a nice folio you got :thumbup:. I like the layout of it. Got few crits to mention.

You have some links that open directly into the big image while others are initiated in the lower right side. But I guess that because you got lots more content for those items. Also you have a model that I can not click on (alien with long neck bust, bottom row).

Also I am not sure that you need to mention your date of birth in your CV. I find that information is private and the employer does not need to know it.

Aside from that, you are on a good track. Good luck with your internship hunt.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Very inconvenient having your images show up in that little window where I have to scroll down to see them. The mutant rockin the sombrero has his full size images open in the little window too. The work is good, but the presentation hurts it. Either have every image use lightbox or just the thumbnails link to a new html page instead of showing up in that little window where I have to scroll around.
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm not feeling the presentation of those models down in the corner, and they are spinning way too fast once they load.

Also, the Proportions of the WW2 character are off. You should lengthen the legs if you want him to be a normal human proportion, or shorten the forearms, if you want him to be stumpy, but still human looking. Either way, the fixes wouldn't be too hard, and it would go a long way to improving that model (maybe a combination of both).

Over all, good work though.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    Perhaps some wire frames so potential employers can see your use of polys and topology.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx for the comments guys,

i'll make the site extend downwards to view the content instead of using the little box so you get to see bigger images at once.
    i'm also going to add the wireframe shots for the lowpoly ones

barnstable: tnx i'm going to adjust those proportions
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    I think you're doing yourself a disservice by completely omitting some of your sketchbook work. You have some cool concepts and studies that I'd include over things like the console if I were you.

Just my 2 cents, but I think some of your strongest pieces are the following, all taken from your sketchbook here:

ejh5ef.jpg
    35nabyt.jpg
    kd6d8m.jpg
    2uj76dv.png
    2uj76dv.png
    nl7lds.jpg
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx millah
    I added the sega console in there to show off something different then character work.
    The works you posted arn't appealing to myself anymore and were mostly made as speedy fun concepts

What i could do is use a thumbnail that goes to a page with speedsculpts and a thumbnail that goes to a page with concepts but i'm not sure what the "rules" are on adding unfinished or speedy concept work on a portfolio.

So i tried something different with the content

link removed
    would it be better this way ? (scroll down. this is just a preview of how it would look, links are not yet updated)
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    for me that scroll down is hidden and easy to miss. Make your work as easy to see as possible. No one is grading you on your HTML skills.

you need to add what Millah posted
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i found a way to make the page go directly to the content when you click the thumbnails :)

should be working
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with Milliah. The fact that this portfolio page isn't overflowing with your speed sculpts is crazy. Write "Speedsculpt XHours" on the bottom of your speedsculpts and that should make it clear enough that it's not optimized for Unreal. The rest of your portfolio should be proof enough that you could optimize those things for a game engine.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    i found a way to make the page go directly to the content when you click the thumbnails :)

should be working

Teeny tiny images in little frame make baby Jesus cry.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds like little baby jesus needs glasses :P

unfortunally i can't test my site on a 1920x1200 resolution (or higher)
    but i think the thumbnails should be big enough just to get an idea of what's there when you click it.

i'm going to add some of my speedsculpts on there and i'll probably include some new ones :)

tnx for the crits guys
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As you guys suggested i added the speedsculpts and 2d concepts page

http://leslievdb.com/index.php

maybe some suggestions on what to leave out there?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Hey dude, i'm not talking from a position of authority or experience here, but if i were you i would put your 2d stuff way more up front on your site. You're a sick painter and a rapidly improving game artist, but you're putting 'sick painter' in a part of your portfolio where it could easily get overlooked.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx SupRore,

I don't want them to be too prominent on the portfolio since i'm trying to apply for a 3d artist intern position.
    I really don't know what gamestudios are looking for when it comes to interns, but i do realize that with both 2d and 3d i'm not that great yet and i still have tons to learn/practice.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    tnx SupRore,

I don't want them to be too prominent on the portfolio since i'm trying to apply for a 3d artist intern position.
    I really don't know what gamestudios are looking for when it comes to interns, but i do realize that with both 2d and 3d i'm not that great yet and i still have tons to learn/practice.

You'd have to ask the guys with actual game industry experience, but i seem to remember a few of the guys in hiring positions saying a while back that they seriously value 2d skills from entry level/intern positions. If you show that you're a seriously skilled artist they're more willing to work with you ironing out the technical 3d bits. I'm not sure if that's still the case or widespread, though.

Anyway man your art is way better imo than a lot of the people looking for entry level positions around here, someone had better give you an internship, you deserve it.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Ravenslayer,nice site.

I've seen the work you've made over the year,and i must say you are a very active artist.
    The 2 normal mapped characters look very good,maybe you can also mention the texture size of them.

Keep up the good work.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Hi Raven, I think many here have watched u grow considerably over the past year or so. Kudos to that. Ur work has great energy and personality, it's your biggest strength and it shines more through your 2D than 3D, so I wouldn't show one more prominently over the other, even if your main goal is a 3D intern.

On that aspect, ur work has a trait where u work outside-in, as in, u start off a pretty rough block-in and u scult/paint the inside. Jim Murry has a pretty similar style. It goes only so far in a painting, but sculpting organic things this way means u end up trying to push too mush form into an otherwise un-supportive skeleton. U gotta watch your bone structure and rotational axis of your figures so they could actually move and turn freely.

Take ur 2-face for example: can u imagine its arms rotating around the radius? can u see it twisting its hands freely without collapsing the wrists? the biceps nearly insert into the hand... its just not functional. U gotta pay more attention to the bone structure... more inside-out attention. PC-user Tacit Math does it very well if u wonna have a look.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tnx for the comments guys

Shotgun: yeah that is great advice. For the 2faced creature i did a painting but it wasn't the intention to eventually make it into a 3d model so i completely understand that having such a design would be very limited in terms of movement .
    i'm definitely going to keep that in mind the next time i try to design a character
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been a while but i updated it again with something way more simplistic but to the point