Home General Discussion

iPhone dev question

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Koochy polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

I've been offered an art test from a local games company for an iPhone artist position. Before the test is sent to me, I want to be up to scratch with knowledge and have a list of things I need to research and keep in mind while working on this brief. The brief hasn't been given yet, so I have time to research the good and bad things iPhone artists need to know!

My website - http://www.eddiehoyle.co.nz
(reel is 12 months outdated, oops)

I work as an animator at the moment, which is probably my strongest attribute. I come from a 2D background, so like to draw etc. I read a few game dev websites so kinda understand the basic terms and poly limits also.

So PolyGurus, where do I go next to learn? Any particular lowpoly online bibles I should devour?

Thanks for any help! :D

Replies

• kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm I cant really think of any REALLY low poly tutorials, but have you checked out the lowpoly thread out yet?

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41232

Just browse trough all those 195 pages(!), they should give you a good idea on what a 3D model for an iPhone game should look like, and what techniques work and which ones don't
  • Koochy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koochy polycounter lvl 10
    Yup, I read that thread often! I was hoping someone might know of a bible, or tips and tricks of iPhone art; texture map sizes, pixel art, file formats, rigging/animation limitations etc. I'll keep researching what I can until I sit the test next week.

Thanks, kwakkie!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Im an artist for an iphone games developer and its pretty straight forward, depending on the game engine you may have to always work in power of 2 textures, 128 by 128 or 48x48 etc. The polycount should be kept really low, this is just a random figure but I imagine most of the stuff Ive worked on is less than 2000tris for your on screen environment