Home General Discussion

Composing An Environment Shot

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
I've recently had to take a looker at at composing screenshots at several environments and it got me wondering. Why are most environment concepts done with a high, instead of lower, angle on the scene.

Obviously, most of the time you want to compose your shot relative to an observer so that would be about 5-6ft off the ground. That way it feels relatable.

However, I see a lot of angles even higher off the ground than that, and almost none (although a few still) lower to the ground.

Anyone care to offer their thoughts on why this is, and any recommendation on camera height/angle when creating environment compositions?

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think it's mainly to show off more of the environment, not so much to make it relatable. When you only have a static screen to show a world, you want to try and show as much as possible. At least, that's my thought on it.

Perhaps showing a movie walkthrough would be a better option, as then you can show the environment as it is in-game. I've seen that done a few times, successfully.
  • imb3nt
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    I really like lower shots. But i suppose it kinda depends on what you're trying to do. Seems like higher shots are more of a "lay of the land" way to show the environment all together.

But i think lower shots are more interesting. ESPECIALLY if there is something cool in the foreground.
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I like lower shots a lot as well. However, they do make the view feel small and vulnerable, but if its a powerful or spooky environment then that may be exactly what you want to do.

I do see this every once in a great while but if you take a look at concept artist blogs they are few and far in between.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    From my personal stabs at making concept it's simply easier. Starting with a dynamic high in the sky shot nothing can really "go wrong" in terms of placement and you have the freedom of adding and removing composition in any way you see fit without worrying about how it affects the "viewer". Not to mention you don't have to spend hours coming up with the hard props, unique foreground elements that truly define the nuances of the scene.
  • MattLichy
    I like lower shots as well. But it really comes down to the env. you are trying to show off, and what mood u want to convey, or scale.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    knowing good compositional theory will really help you. here is an awwwwwesome article by phil straub. its really worth checking out for people learning and pro's alike. strong composition and good lighting will make or break a scene, especially in stills.

God of war 3 and uncharted both had some wicked moments where you climb up a ladder or cliff wiith a wickedly composed background shot, those are some good games to look at.