Home General Discussion

Learning a new skill - is this what would help me?

I'm trying hard to learn to UV in Maya. It's hard. Really hard. Anyways I'm thinking of buying a video tutorial and just learning that way, it was helpful in the past when I made the UMP45, following a video tutorial.

I was looking at this,
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/570/UV-Mapping-101

I'm really desperate to learn this process as I'm finding out "just modeling" isn't enough when I join mod teams, etc.

It seems it will teach me all about UVing but then what about getting my UVs into photoshop and texturing it? I want to learn about that too. I'm just worried I'll learn all about UVing and then what, you know? Like I'll be one step short of learning about the whole process of Uv-texture-finish the model...

Would this help me with that uv-texture-finish the model process or would it only teach me about UVs and nothing more? I want to learn about what comes after UVing as well, the parts with photoshop as well.

Thank you!!

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Gnomon dvds are pretty amazing for learning. As far as that one goes I would assume it only covers the UV layout not the painting process. The best thing I can tell you is practice. While the UV is the technical, the texture painting is all about sitting down with your tablet and just seeing what works. As for DVD stuff I recomend this for environments.

http://eat3d.com/texturing

As for characters, while I haven't seen this one Gnomon puts out good stuff usually. And just keep practicing and researching what other people are doing and being the best you can.
    http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/425/Character-Texturing-for-Production
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    If anyone from Gnomon or Eat3d or 3dmotive read this:

Please make a tutorial of uvmapping and making a modular environment.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    If you are not locked into only using Maya, I would suggest eat3d videos like Next Gen Texture techniques or the Old Damaged Pillar vid for great workflows with textures and uvs. Again, if you can try different software, the eat3d 3Ds Max 101 DVD covers all kinds of 3d program goodness (21 hours full).
    Eat3d!

but. . .if you must learn maya - there has got to be tons of free UV mapping tutorials out there. I sure don't think you need to buy a DVD just for learning how to UV map.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Tutors do a great series on UVing in Maya as part of their dinosaur subdivision modeling set.

It's pretty much the only thing I used to learn to unwrap initially.

You'll have to sign up for a month to view it but then you get access to their whole library and it will still cost a little less than a Gnomon DVD.

It's proper 'hold your hand' stuff too so none of the 'i'm gonna run this vid at 16x, try to keep up' which tend to be more useful for more advanced users.

EDIT: I just read you want to look at texturing too, well the follow up series to DTs UV kit covers texturing for the same model, I highly recommend it.

Admittedly it's not specifically a game art tut, but the process is the same and they explain efficient layout techniques and texture size considerations. The only difference really is that the model isn't optimised for games but rather a more feature film spec.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So on DT I should get both the UV one and the Texturing ones? What if I don't have the exact model they're using with UVs and texture, wouldn't that be awkward?

uv
    http://www.digitaltutors.com/09/training.php?cid=52&pid=3536

texture
    http://www.digitaltutors.com/09/training.php?cid=52&pid=3541
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you sign up for a month you'll get access to their whole library so that won't be a prob.

The source files including the dinosaur model they use can be downloaded from the site so you could use their exact mesh.

You could of course use your own model and apply what you learn but I'd suggest just running with their model and following along so you understand it all first, then try with your own stuff.

As I said it's all very hand holding and Justin is a great tutor, it should give you a comprehensive knowledge of unwrapping both as a skill as well as technical ability with the actual tools.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I downloaded some stuff from my lynda account so I'm gonna try that stuff first. If it doesn't work out I'll give this a go.

Thank you guys!
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I'm looking into something like this as well, not sure what I'd like to get as far as a subscription goes however.. I'm in-between Gnomon and Digital Tutors, I love Gnomon but it's annual as opposed to Digital Tutors which can be Monthly.

But for the quality, does anyone have any opinions?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Rai wrote: »
    But for the quality, does anyone have any opinions?

Both are very good, but which one is right for you depends on your skill level and familiarity with workflows and concepts.

Digital Tutors titles are an excellent way to get to know your tools, and are much more step-by-step which can be comforting to beginners, whereas Gnomon titles tend to be more of an overview of an artist's workflow and technniques, and assume a greater level of prior knowledge.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan wrote: »
    Both are very good, but which one is right for you depends on your skill level and familiarity with workflows and concepts.

Very very true.

I love Gnomon's DVD's, it gives a great insight into the way the pro's do it. But I must admit when I was a complete beginner, and for the first 6 months or so I watched a few and thought 'well these are crap, I'm just watching some dude work in a time lapse at like double speed. However I go back and watch those same vids now, and I love them and can pick up the tips and take what I need in terms of tips / tricks.

Digital Tutors still remains in my opinion the best way to learn both software packages, and 3D skills when you're just starting out or are improving beginner level skills.

I strongly believe if you go through something like this:

Intro to Maya>Intro to Modeling in Maya>SubDivision Modeling in Maya>UVing in Maya>Texturing Techniques.... and then maybe the photoreal human set or some of the motorcycle or car kits, then you will genuinely have a very solid skill level in both Maya as a tool, and 3D art creation in general.

Of course if you wanted to go the Max route, then follow a similar path, although their Max library is a little limited compared to Maya.

Even though it isn't game specific, that's pretty much irrelevant because then you can go watch some of the game related Gnomon stuff, or Eat3Ds kits and you'll get the best out of them.

DT also do a complete game character pipeline where you model a character from a concept, sculpt it in ZBrush and then texture it. You can even go as far as animating it and getting into Microsoft XNA if you want. The workflow they use is a little backwards to the common 'base mesh>sculpt>retopo' in the fact that they just keep the base mesh and UV it first and then use it as the final low poly also. Although the tutor does explain the limitations of doing it that way.

I honestly don't work for DT but I just learned so much from them when I was starting out that I love to point people in their direction.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15

That's what I was afraid of, I went through Digital Tutor's site, looked over a few videos and was a little disappointed.

I don't necessarily need to get to know the tools, I'm really more interested in the advanced workflows that Gnomon provide, but Digital Tutors seemed very interesting for the price.

I think I'll suck it up and take an annual for Gnomon instead.
    They just have an overall feel for bringing traditional work into the digital field, as opposed to DT just going through the tools.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Get Roadkill free, its an invaluable tool. With that and the default maya UV tools, you have the best UV mapping toolset ever. Really, really powerful.

If there is anything you dont figure out, feel free to ask for specifics.

Good luck!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I can't download and transfer my videos on DT which is fucking horseshit. So that's a no-go at this time. My Lynda tutorials were useless, not at all what I wanted. If this gnomonworkshop thing doesn't pull through I'm pretty much fucked I think. It sucks when you have 2 backup plans and they all fail.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    n88tr wrote: »
    Well I can't download and transfer my videos on DT which is fucking horseshit. So that's a no-go at this time. My Lynda tutorials were useless, not at all what I wanted. If this gnomonworkshop thing doesn't pull through I'm pretty much fucked I think. It sucks when you have 2 backup plans and they all fail.

Well DTutors recently did some upgrade (got some random email) and now apparently you can download videos (always though you could, dont know why you would just stream it :shifty:)
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you can download them now, I think you get a certain amount of 'credits' for each month and you use them to download the course videos. There should be more than enough in a months subscription to get at least 1 course.

They used to be download only and then they switched to an online only model, trying to convince the community it wasn't because of piracy. Which it clearly was. Now they've switched to a best of both worlds model, coincidentally after a lot of the new 'online only' content was being pirated also.

Although I don't advocate piracy, even less so for a site I support like DT, if you really want the download versions of those dinosaur courses then a little Google search for the course name followed by the file hosting site of your choice should point you in the right direction. As I said though. I don't really think it's fair to not offer downloadable content, especially when the titles used to be available, so yeah just grab them from Rapidshare or similar and send DT $35 or something ;p
  • Dracowyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dracowyr polycounter lvl 10
    Kevin Hudson's Gnomon UV 101 and Advanced UV Layout are awesome. Both really go in depth into understanding UVs and how/why/when to use what tool.

That being said, the videos don't focus specifically on games...so if you are an advanced Maya user, I would recommend Eat 3D's DVD - Maya and 3DS Max (someone correct me if I'm wrong) UV layout is very similar, so you should be able to transfer what you learn from the Eat 3D tutorial to Maya.

I have both the Gnomon set and the Eat 3D DVD.

I have to agree with the poster that said that there needs to be more Texturing Tutorials.

Eat 3D, 3d motive, if you guys are reading...a tutorial that covers taking a prop or environment piece from concept to model to texture to engine , would be golden.

More texture painting tutorials in general would be awesome!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Dracowyr wrote: »
    Eat 3D, 3d motive, if you guys are reading...a tutorial that covers taking a prop or environment piece from concept to model to texture to engine , would be golden.

The old pillar DVD covers everything you just mentioned, with the exception of working from a concept.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The old pillar DVD covers everything you just mentioned, with the exception of working from a concept.

Yep, and their Next Gen Texturing Techniques is about as in-depth as a texturing tutorial can get. It's pure awesome and I'd suggest purchasing it asap if you're looking for a texturing based tutorial series.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nvm my last ignorant post. I found dynamite tutorial on house modeling+UV+texturing. All steps included. Now I just have to knuckle down and follow along.