Home General Discussion

How fast should my modeling speed be?

Its great to have a smokin profile with amazing characters that pop off the screen but if it took months to create it then you're not going to survive working in a studio.

So my Q to the pros is how much time do studios give, how fast do they want you to be? I know each character is different so we can't be specific in hrs, but if you could give me an idea. For example, if I were to do Superman (like in Blurs recent trailer for DC universe) for a game or game cinematic, should I have it modeled in 3 days, a week?

I feel I have the knowledge and skills, but what I'm now aiming at is speeding my process, of course it helps now that I have my own personal collection of objs to play frankenstien...

p.s.

if this has been asked before I apologise, but then its a Q that needs updating in the fast moving pace of Games...

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Blurs turn around is exceptionally fast, i think they 1 1/2 to 2 weeks for a character. From what i can gather from things folks like Ian Joyner and Sze Jones have said they tend to recycle base meshes a lot.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It also depends if its a well polished main character or a background character than needs to be done during crunch.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    also depends on if you are able to kitbash... i had the same question awhile back and 2 weeks for a UT3 type character was about the time.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Tbh, character artists always have more time than they should have to work, environment artists are always the ones under pressure... Also, char artists don't need to crunch as much, especially in the end of the project.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    [HP] wrote: »
    Tbh, character artists always have more time than they should have to work, environment artists are always the ones under pressure... Also, char artists don't need to crunch as much, especially in the end of the project.

That's not True :)

Time is also dependent of Quality. We can do things faster, but it always will take time and more time, and with the actual game art, we need more time and we need to put more work :poly127:
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    2 weeks for next gen stuff normally, including textures/bakes etc
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    most studios realize when its your first job or even just new to the company your not going to be lightning quick and it will take a bit to get up to speed. but after you get into a production environment with deadlines they expect you to meet you start getting faster. when doing projects at home you wont have the same kind of production schedule as you would at work so you can take your time.

as with anything the more you work on something the faster you get. not to mention nothing helps increasing your speed as working 40hours a week.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    When I was doing my portfolio, I tend to work for about 3-4 weeks/8-9 hrs a day per single asset. Now that I'm working, I'm surprised that I can really do it within 10-14 days/9-10 hrs of work. And yeah, they're all next-gen stuff.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    at least 50 mph!

na seriously, i wish i would get more than 10 days payed per next gen asset, usually 10 days is the upper limit - for the lowres, hand painted stuff i did for ubisoft it was mostly 1-3 days per character, 5 tops if its a complex onw, with a lot of metal reflections going on, extraprops etc.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Blaizer wrote: »
    That's not True :)

Time is also dependent of Quality. We can do things faster, but it always will take time and more time, and with the actual game art, we need more time and we need to put more work :poly127:

it fits my experience at all the places i've been at and that of most of my colleagues i've discussed this with tho: character artists (and concepters) are far more likely to go home on time than anyone else on the team.
    the main reason seems to be that unlike level artists we are (at larger places anyway) pretty early in the pipeline, our work gets handed off to riggers and animators who then have to deal with all the nasty technical stuff and suffer from having to redo work over and over when technology changes.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also depends on if you are able to kitbash... i had the same question awhile back and 2 weeks for a UT3 type character was about the time.

So 1 week for the modeling?

hm.. The impression I'm getting is that just the modeling phase takes max 1 week, so a working week at 9-5 minus 1hr for lunch is 35hrs... hm, of course every character is different but its an idea...

Thanks guys!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9 to 5 minus 1 hour?
    more likeley to be 9 to 6 including that hour you've taken to eat.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Neox wrote: »
    at least 50 mph!

na seriously, i wish i would get more than 10 days payed per next gen asset, usually 10 days is the upper limit - for the lowres, hand painted stuff i did for ubisoft it was mostly 1-3 days per character, 5 tops if its a complex onw, with a lot of metal reflections going on, extraprops etc.
    Is that modelling + texturing or rigging as well?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Neox wrote: »
    9 to 5 minus 1 hour?
    more likeley to be 9 to 6 including that hour you've taken to eat.

was 9 to 5 MINUS 30 mins where I worked before - no wonder they moved it all to china and montreal lol
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Is that modelling + texturing or rigging as well?

modelling + texturing, sometimes with a small concept phase before the modelling starts, usually in the productions i worked on the animators do the rigs and skinning (though i could do the skinning part as well and build some basic rigs) as they know what they need and how to tackle what.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Arround 3-4 days solid work of art, then the boring stuff like export and testing in-game arround 1-2 days. Wish we had export grunts...
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    Arround 3-4 days solid work of art, then the boring stuff like export and testing in-game arround 1-2 days. Wish we had export grunts...

4 days o_0 that's quick for - I'm assuming - all the modeling, texturing and rigging ... is that a character or a different type of asset?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    REALLY REALLY FAST
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    speed of light
  • Sean VanGorder
  • samgriffiths
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    How fast should my modeling speed be?
    Faster.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    uber 360 shove it to boneless!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    In my opinion, it's way easier to get faster than to get better. I wouldn't focus on speed as a primary goal when working on a portfolio. For a portfolio, all you are judged on is quality, not speed, so if you sacrifice quality for speed you are going to get dinged for it, but not the other way around. Plus when you actually get on the job, you get huge speed boosts by tailoring your workflow to the specific pipeline, learning tips and tricks from other artists, and using custom tools.

You are also more likely to get slowed down by revisions and not getting something right the first time than if you take 30 minutes longer than another artist but put out a similar or better quality asset.

I guess my point is not to ignore being fast and efficient, but quality should be first and speed should be secondary, for a portfolio piece. Once you can make a top notch asset, it is easy to speed up your workflow, but if you are taking shortcuts to be faster on a portfolio piece you risk not fully developing your artistic skills.

Also in my experience its always 10-7 or the equivalent, you always work a 40 hour week. 9-5 is fantasy land. Depending on the studio it might be significantly less once meetings are factored in, but you are paid for 40 hours.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    If you want to keep your job - you need to be able to hit the same quality in roughly the same time as your fellow character artists. Unless of course youve been hired as a junior / intern etc.