Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dungeon Legend (iPad)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Thomas P. polycounter lvl 14
Hey there folks,

Thought I'd share a video of our upcoming game "Dungeon Legend" for iPad with everybody. It's currently in it's "Alpha" stage but we are making good progress. We are always open for ideas regarding gameplay, classes, monsters and whatever else you can think of. Feel free to reply. The video does NOT show any game-play footage yet. We have a bit of work to do before we get to that stage. For now, enjoy some of the environments.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ1q9Ik4CL8[/ame]

Thomas P.

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Looks absolutely wonderful. I must say that i like the first more colorful environments more than the grayish ones :)

And it's hard to give ideas regarding gameplay when we know nothing about it :)
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    Looks absolutely wonderful. I must say that i like the first more colorful environments more than the grayish ones :)

And it's hard to give ideas regarding gameplay when we know nothing about it :)

Very true and fair Sir. So nevermind the gameplay question... but I'd still like to know what people would love to see in an RPG nowadays. Thanks for your comment and I am glad you like the looks of it so far.

Thomas P.
  • StolenPants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the look of this alot, i love dungeon crawling. for some reason i see an assassin's creed type character running around these environments in a world with magic (of course) mostly because i see that time period reflected in the archetecture (wooden crates, typical dungeonesque environments, statues) the scene with the green well contrasts with the others because it's the only one that hints at something unusual. could be a good first level where you discover the further you go that there's more then the expected real world environments and slowly introduce twisted abominations or what have you. so far i like where it's going and if i own an ipad by the time this comes out i'd prolly buy it. CHEERS!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the lighting, keep it up.
    Did you take alot of inspiration from the Diablo series?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I know what i want. I want books or lore items. Kinda like how they did it in diablo (books,, spoken lines of dialogue in some areas). It doesn't just have to be books though...

You could walk up to a dead knight stuck to a wall or find a glowing lantern etc etc. Something that makes the world feel alive. Could be just a line of text hovering over an item in case you don't want to write to much.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stolen Pants - Thanks for your comments and thoughts. Glad you like it. There will sometimes be visual references to traps and sometimes there won't. In any case, there will be ways to detect traps. So, yes there could be something wrong with that green "well" in that room.. but you won't know for sure until you "search" the room for hints. Then again, a room could look totally harmless and before you know it you have set off a trap (if you aren't careful).

@Taylor Hood - Glad to hear that you like my lighting. I am not after realism but more of an artistic way of lighting the rooms. I like to create a mood with the lights. Diablo, Baldurs Gate, Torchlight, Dungeon&Dragons, WoW ... sure they are all a source of inspiration but I wouldn't say this is purely a "Diablo" look. Nevertheless, I take this as a compliment since I love Blizzards style.

@Whalgren - What you describe is planned for Dungeon Legend (in a way.. I won't spill just everything now). But yes, you can look for loot... search...that sorta thing.
    I like when a story is being told instead of just slash&smashing your way through a dungeon.

Thanks for the comments guys... keep em coming :)

Thomas P.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bretmcnee wrote: »
    Very nice. I am assuming you are using the Unity engine?

I just started playing with it... Such a powerful little engine. I really like your lighting.

Man, I want an iPad ! :P

Yes Sir. I am currently using Unity 3.0 Beta. Deferred Lighting and the "Beast" integration make for one awesome workflow. Can only recommend the engine.

Thomas P.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm trying to learn the in and outs of unity and iphone/ipad games, are you baking the lighting here? Whats your approach on that? any other cool tips or tricks?
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'm trying to learn the in and outs of unity and iphone/ipad games, are you baking the lighting here? Whats your approach on that? any other cool tips or tricks?

As said I am currently using Unity 3.0 beta with in Deferred Lighting mode to properly light my scene. Once satisfied I'm using the "Beast" light mapper to bake all lighting and AO and I couldn't be happier with the workflow and results.

Thomas P.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks very nice man! if your looking for dungeon crawl games for inspiration the combat systems in neverwinter nights 2 and titan quest cant be beat really. also after torchlight im kinda tired of single unit dungeon crawls, it would be cool to have more team play.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woogity wrote: »
    looks very nice man! if your looking for dungeon crawl games for inspiration the combat systems in neverwinter nights 2 and titan quest cant be beat really. also after torchlight im kinda tired of single unit dungeon crawls, it would be cool to have more team play.

You are aware that this is going to be an ipad title first right? :) We will surely try to create a great "single" player experience but "multiplayer" is something we arent concerned with at the moment.

Thomas P.
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    This is awesome! Looks really good. Wasn't aware iPad can handle such graphics. Really cool.
  • Raymond Arnold
    Can you elaborate more on deferred lighting? Is that something new to Unity 3, and what are the pros/cons of it compared to other lighting modes?
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well in short - Deferred rendering allows you to have hundreds of real time point lights in your scene with only a marginal cost to performance. The same G-Buffers used for the lighting can also be reused for plenty of other high-end image effects without additional performance loss.

This link should help in understanding: http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter09.html
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just thought I'd try and see if anybody around here would like to join and help out with "concept art". Have been trying to find somebody for a while now without much luck. If anybody is interested please contact me.

Here is a small article written by TouchArcade:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/07/19/dungeon-legend-sneak-peak-an-upcoming-ipad-dungeon-crawler/

The article gives a bit more info about our game.

Thomas P.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there folks,

We managed to get a professional concept artist on board. However, now we are looking for somebody who can paint textures onto our Monsters and Characters. We are willing to share a certain amount of profit with you when the game goes live. Please contact me via email or PM for further details.

Thomas P.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, this will be impossible to play in direct sunlight.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then again... do you play "any" game in direct sunlight? I certainly don't.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    well, this will be impossible to play in direct sunlight.

OMIGOSH, DEAL BREAKER! I play all my games by the lake. Feed the ducks with one hand, pwn noobs with the other.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought I'd post a new little video showing the game running on iPad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWTitUrk5Kk

Thomas P.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few shots of Dungeon Legend monsters. Modeling was done by Glen Southern and texturing by Teck Lee known as LoTekk on this forum.

Thomas P.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    loving it Thomas, great direction you took :) Im loving the lighting and the direction you guys took ;P

great monsters and good luck with the game!, Ill maybe get it..once i can afford an ipad..
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik wrote: »
    loving it Thomas, great direction you took :) Im loving the lighting and the direction you guys took ;P

great monsters and good luck with the game!, Ill maybe get it..once i can afford an ipad..

Well the iPad is the first stop. We will surely look into iPhone and Standalone versions later on once we got the basics of the game (1.0) out in the open. The game will expand and grow from there.

Thomas P.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    These environments scream dungeon runner. That is good in the sense you've nailed the old dungeon feel we've come to know and love, but it is also a bit... boring. Seeing something so familiar doesn't really leave me with high expectations. I understand your combat could make this totally different from any game I have ever played before, but from an environment art perspective, it still takes place in those same narrow hallways riddled with broken barrels and crates. It seems like you're missing out on a chance to wow your audience with something new.

Just food for thought. The art remains fantastic, regardless.
  • WIZPIT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any tilt controls? maybe for the camera?
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Fun style and atmosphere! Id work on something like that

Goodjob

ben
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL wrote: »
    These environments scream dungeon runner. That is good in the sense you've nailed the old dungeon feel we've come to know and love, but it is also a bit... boring. Seeing something so familiar doesn't really leave me with high expectations. I understand your combat could make this totally different from any game I have ever played before, but from an environment art perspective, it still takes place in those same narrow hallways riddled with broken barrels and crates. It seems like you're missing out on a chance to wow your audience with something new.

Just food for thought. The art remains fantastic, regardless.

Patrick,

I appreciate your input. To be honest I have not played Dungeon Runner and know very little about it so I can assure you that I am not influenced by it in any way shape or form :) I don't know if you have an iPad/iPhone or not and if you play any RPG's on said devices but as far as graphics are concerned we are very much standing out compared to the competition (in more than one way).

Just because we don't WOW you doesn't mean others feel the same :) Lastly, I don't think you can "wow" anybody with graphics alone. Sound, art and game mechanics have to be in harmony for a great experience.

Thomas P.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    To clarify, by "dungeon runner" I actually meant the genre dungeon crawlers. IE, Diablo 3, Dungeon Siege, etc. Sorry for any confusion there, my mistake.

But you've got a valid point, Thomas. I'm really out of the loop for iPads/iPhones in general, let alone platform development. I'm not really sure what your limitations are or what you've got to work with, so I'm sure I am under appreciating what you've got here. I hate being that guy, but I can't deny it.

Gonna keep an eye on this to see where it goes!
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Whizpit - Don't know what good that would be :) I think the current controls are working very nicely.

@b1ll - Glad you like it!

@PatrickL - You can never please everybody... but I think it's important to please yourself during development and so far we all are very pleased with what we created. Hope others will appreciate it as well in the end.

Thomas P.
  • WIZPIT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dunno, tilt controls can be pretty intuitive if done the right way. but hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it?
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In case somebody cares. Here is a little interview with some new shots and more info on Mixamo's blog:

http://blog.mixamo.com/featured/interviews/interview-with-thomas-pasieka/

Thomas P.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    looks nice. if it's well done and fun then i don't care the slightest if i played something like it before.

slum's comment made me laugh :D