Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Trek-13 Shotgun

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Raider polycounter lvl 9
Latest:

shotgun_12.jpg

This is for a mod I'm working on atm, there was no concept for me to work off so it was just basically a experimentation time. This is the result, pretty happy, most people i've shown didn't say it sucked :D

Few more tweaks but i thought i'd post here to take a break from it and to get any crits you guys might have before i start the fun stage of lpoly !!

shotgun_05.jpg

Replies

• Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good, but how do the sights work? Is it pump or semi auto?
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's really nice. is it something you designed yourself? or actually a real life model?
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey there! I'm no weapon pro so take all this with a grain of salt, but, while I think the silhouette looks pretty good, I think there are a couple areas that could be improved upon?.

The thing that sticks out the most, to me, is the part where you grab the weapon with the left hand (in case you're right handed). It feels like someone just slapped some metal sheet around the bottom of the weapon, and this part (in red) could look much better, plus it's something really 'big' to fix:

XQwaT.jpg

The other two red parts are the iron sight which seems a bit too thin to me, and also the end of the barrel at the bottom. Is it a grenade launcher? or a shotgun? or just some sort of light? It's a bit hard to read.. (but then again, I'm no weapon pro, so maybe it's just something I don't know).

Otherwise, looks pretty solid. Can't wait to see the finished model!.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the responses guys

Kitteh - It's an auto, the cylinder in the top section of the gun contains multiple rounds stacked up behind each other (this was the only thing i was asked to do for the design). The sites are still wip, since the top of the barrel and the body of the gun aren't at the same height i can't use simple tactical sites so i'm trying to figure out a different scenario, those sites i took and changed from an AA-12 auto shotty but i still need to tweak.

Cat - It's pretty much just done by my imagination.. no real life model besides the kinda keeping to classic design of the shotgun. I took some inspiration from some other shotties like the stock is taken from a m1014 cause i thought it looked badass, but most of it is just me poly pushing and thinking will this look cool on that? - no.

Mik2121 - Yep i still need to put some decals on the hand grip it still feeds a bit bland with just the flat metal after the palm grip. The sites like i said in the other responses are still wip trying to figure out what works. The circular piece at the front is most likely going to be a flash light i just duplicated some part and put it down there till i got around to doing the light :D

I'm actually thinking of putting something like this on for the sites off an AR-15
    AR2008_small.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that I think about it the trigger guard is huge. Make it less tall?

Also, for sights you need two posts in the rear and one in the front, like this:

m1891.JPG

trijpicsight.jpg
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Yer kitteh i decided to go with these ones, just gotta model it and repost an update later

36176.jpg
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    New sites - flash light - flash power pack - some floating geo on front grip to break up some bland metal, infact most of the decals are floating geo so that's why u see the crazy ao around it :d will be gone on bake

shotgun_06.jpg
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    is this based on those guns that use electric signals to fire the rounds in stead of a firing pin?

i was watching something on tv about these kinds of guns, they had a handgun that could fire 3 rounds before the recoil took any really effect
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    It's based on from what ever i was thinking at the time dansher :P

pretty much final + wire, once i finished lpoly will post an update

shotgun_07.jpg
    shotgun_wire.jpg
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Low poly pretty much done, gotta tweak a few things but other then that calling the base done, onto uv

shotgun_08.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Looks good man, design works so keep up.

There's a bit of pinching in there that you might wanna fix, it will probably look worse after bake.

ih2ikx.jpg
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, made some progress on the bake, it went down pretty well. Few tweaks / fixes in photoshop and should be good to go.

shotgun_09.jpg
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    v. nice bake. Looking sharp!
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Alright, after some dramas with max + ao i decided to go FU max and did my AO back from xNormal. Tweaked the normal map, gotta get rid of a few shadows in my AO from the floating but other then that, time to texture!

shotgun_10.jpg
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Bake looks to have gone really well! Good work! I admit scrolling down I had my concerns about that bottom pump handle section but looks like it came out alright. Will keep an eye out for the textures.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, first texture pass, still heaps to do but wanted to get the colours in to help separate sections, atm the spec is just the diffuse so ignore the terribleness of it.

shotgun_11.jpg
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    make sure in your max/maya renders you add an alpha channel, and use that as your mask to mask out the background... otherwise you see it anti-alias to white and then it looks bad
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty much done i thinkkkk posting here for some feedback for stuff i can't see since i've worked on it for a while.

shotgun_12.jpg
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    You have big flat empty areas, which is part of the design, but look boring when textured. The gun is kinda crazy looking, you might think about translating that to the texture with a flashy and extreme paint job, like painting fangs on it like a fighter plane or something.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Thing is predator, it's part of a mod so if 1 of the guns looks crazy it's going completely stand out and a lot of the time that isn't a good thing :|
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Ah sorry, didn't read through the whole thread, carry on :P
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your light metal looks a lot like chalk or like it's covered in chalk. Too much noisy texture and it's too bright.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Re-doing textures atm, looks better to me.. yay / nay?

shotgun_14.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks better, but your white scratching on the edges is too strong, too uniform, and too noisy/chalky/sharp. I'd also overlay some multicolored metal patina on your metal to give it some more visual interest and texture (without overdoing it or making it noisy)
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty much done again, cheers for the idea of the metal patinas kitteh it actually gave some nice variation, i had some light / dark grunge layers but they weren't doing it as well. I actually managed to grab the scratches brush racer used and man it makes them so much easier to knock out :D

shotgun_15.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darken up the difuse. and let the specular do the work for you!
    Seriously, the spec is what makes the material pop!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The light looks like a golf ball stuck in a tube.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skin is drab and generic as heck

I know racer hates tape but some on the grip or somewhere would add some character to it. The gun is aggressive looking but the skin is just flat grey...
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Please for the love of god DO NOT ADD TAPE!!! You have a decent design and the start of a decent diffuse texture, don't screw it all up with any of those lazy cliches.

There are a few key issues with your texture right now. The main thing is the material definition.

Your materials are all the same tone and glossiness. It appears that you have plastic, but right now I can't tell the difference between the two. Currently the only way I can tell the difference is by looking where the scratches are. Try and get some tonal variation in there, as well as some kind of change in glossiness. Here's a good example of the gloss changes I mean:

01657.jpg

Your specular doesn't have any kind of color in it either, or any unique details. Having color on the specular especially is very important to define materials, especially on an object that is mostly made of metal. Parts are made by different manufacturers, and usually slightly different hues. These kinds of colors are exactly what you want on the spec to help materials stand out from each other!

03235.jpg

Unique details on the spec will help your materials work well in motion. It certainly adds a kind of depth you don't see often. Scrapes, blobs, greasey bits etc. depending on the material. Don't be afraid to photosource! Unique details make even the simplest items look good.

2spec.jpg

Most importantly, your materials are also all much too bright! Bright diffuse and bright spec looks very strange, and even tends to cancel out your material's glossiness. Even brighter metals work better with a diffuse that might appear too dark.

I hope this helps you advance the texture and make it really stand out!
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    I've changed a fair bit of it up, darkened the diffuse and using the spec more for the metal, think it's looking a fair bit better, adding some slight colour variations to some different sections to break it up a bit.

Still gotta do a bit more but it's slowly getting there but yer definately the dark diffuse / use a lighter spec helps racer, cheers for crits. I also added the logo of the race / side that uses the shotgun onto the stock to break up some of the blandness of it, i wasn't going to put tape on it and this one seems like a good idea :D

ZacD - it aint a flash light bro it's a gold ball launcher, DUH! :D
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    The Buttstock looks like if it was missing the Rubber part.

I would darker the Plastic parts a tad more, remember that Black plastic is always black, right now it looks like Sandpapered metal.

Edit: heres is an example

dscn5376custom.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Echoing Racer's comments. Even an all black gun will have surprising color/spec variation under close examination--I like that in your latest update the material distinctions are that much clearer. Just a little more suggestion of color will go a long way--a hint of purple sheen in the metal, a little plum to the plastic etc. but it's looking good.

And yeah that's a mean ass shotgun without a recoil pad :)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slightly changing your spec I don't think is gonna cut it. Needs bigger changes to stand out as a strong piece.

second the stock plastic piece
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    It might be the angle n88t, once my photoshop "unexpires" i'll get a render out of marmo on an extreme angle and you can really see the main spec area shine, but i guess you won't see the gun from that angle in game so i might have to bump it up even more.

And yer gauss i actually went and looked at some guns, even with almost pure black in shade once the light hits them you can get some pretty crazy colouration at of it so again i'll go back and fix that up. I didn't think about using a plum on the plastic but that's a good idea as well.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Alright pretty much done, moving onto a Thompson SMG, so that should be a nice change

shotgun_16.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the little wing decal on the left of the telescoping stock makes it look like it's part of a team class in a game... nice

colored light is a bit misleading but you tried hard buddy
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    looking better, its a shame that the picture is soo small, can you post bigger pictures?