Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio pieces under construction - crits welcome

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
bloodmoon polycounter lvl 8
Ok, started working on some new portfolio stuff the other day and this is what I have so far. It's only a high poly at this stage but I wanna be sure about the amount of details. Before I start going for the next step ^_^.

It's a industrial model completely taken from fiction and my own vague concepts. So it's more or less modeled from my head on the fly.

What it does? I have no real goal for what it should do only how I want it to look.

Crits and comments are very welcome.

Things to do so far:
-Move the bolts on the sides more in so they aren't so close to the edges.
-Fix the plate under the model so it looks better / smoother.
-Add more polys to high poly
Pix:
industrial_render.jpg

Replies

• aguycalleddave
    This might not get validated for a while but here goes:

The floor seems to be grid-like, yet the parts of the machinery which intersect with the ground do not fall neatly into these grid sections. Maybe it's a design choice, but it's very obvious with the feet in the second image, and the large pipe at the front that goes into the floor seems to be sized for one of those grid spaces, yet it doesn't end up inside one.

It just drew my eye in an unconvincing way. Maybe this is what you mean by fixing the plate under the model though.

Also, it seems like some of the parts seem tacked on, as in they aren't connected to the model in a convincing way. I'm talking about the mirror / circular lever on the left hand side in the first image and perhaps the 3 coils on the side of the raised section. These sorts of extensions tend to have a larger base where they meet the main object, as you have done with the pipes.

Other than that, I can't see anything that looks wrong / odd, but I'm new to this so I could be wrong about some things. It's a good model and I look forward to seeing your progress :)
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might not get validated for a while but here goes:

The floor seems to be grid-like, yet the parts of the machinery which intersect with the ground do not fall neatly into these grid sections. Maybe it's a design choice, but it's very obvious with the feet in the second image, and the large pipe at the front that goes into the floor seems to be sized for one of those grid spaces, yet it doesn't end up inside one.

It just drew my eye in an unconvincing way. Maybe this is what you mean by fixing the plate under the model though.

Also, it seems like some of the parts seem tacked on, as in they aren't connected to the model in a convincing way. I'm talking about the mirror / circular lever on the left hand side in the first image and perhaps the 3 coils on the side of the raised section. These sorts of extensions tend to have a larger base where they meet the main object, as you have done with the pipes.

Other than that, I can't see anything that looks wrong / odd, but I'm new to this so I could be wrong about some things. It's a good model and I look forward to seeing your progress :)

Hello

Yes the floor need some tweaking and fixing. The floor is meant to be tiles with a few tiles missing and so on. But I think I'm going to remake the tiles and have them be a lot more tight in between the tiles. And get base connections for the pipes though the floor also. Along with the 3 coils on the raised section that are more or less smacked on at the moment.

Thanks for commenting.

And keep the crits flowing ^_^.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the model.
    industrial_render_2.jpg
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a barrel prop yesterday. Any comments ?
    andreashalonen.se_barrels.jpg

Also working on this M4.

wip_M4.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    You could totally cut that barrel down from what looks like Maya's default 20 divisions to something around 16 or even 12 and not really lose much.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Matt, I've looked at 20 sided, 18 sided and 16 sided cylinders all in a row before and almost couldn't even tell them apart. Plus objects like barrels aren't going to be the absolute focus in any scene. Looks like you have a good start on the M4 though, keep it up
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I was reading the # of sides on a barrel thread and was a bit confused whats usually used since there were several different suggestions. Gonna try to make a more blocky barrel to save tris.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, remade the barrels this time with 14 sides. Still looks ok ^_^
    andreashalonen.se_barrels2.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Is there any reference for this barrel? It seems weird to me, as though there is a snag in the workflow limiting technical accuracy.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    Is there any reference for this barrel? It seems weird to me, as though there is a snag in the workflow limiting technical accuracy.

Here are the refs I've been looking at during the barrel build.
    barrel_refs.jpg
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another WiP small scene. There are a few props missing in the scene still (have them on concept) so it looks a bit empty right now. Been testing handpainting few of the props but still alot to work to do. The textures are just tests an not finished. I have been checking several hand painted threads today and going to make some changes asap.

I've only worked on the door and the stoneparts so far.

Any comments on the scene/texture?

andreashalonen_wip_scene.jpg
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I think there are a few things that don't work out well in your last scene:

uniforms style (models):

Judging from the door and its frame you are going for an very exagerated style. The fence and the front of the building doesn't reflect the style you used on the door. You should go over those pieces but you said they are only blockouts anyway.
    Considering the detail you put into the frame of the door I don't see a reason to not do the door, the handle, the ring holding the sign with the same attention to detail like the stone. I would consider doing the door board by board and you may have some spacing between them.
    Also The handle really looks too flimsy compared to this massive stone.

textures:
    Only some suggestions, as you are going over the textures anyway:
    Your stone texture is on the right way but needs some more work. You have some shadows painted in which look nice. You are missing some highlights and maybe some scrathes here and there. Each stone can cast a slight shadow on stone below: you can paint this in your texture.
    Your are mirroring your texture which is quite obvious. Also by mirroring your uvs the stones on one side of your door are not shaded correctly. I think you could just paint both sides of the frame it will look better. If thats not an option you should consider changing the shading of your stone such that the lightsource is directly above. In that case you can mirror your uvs without weird shading inconsistence

The wood Texture still need a lot more work. It looks a little rushed. But you said your going over this.

Good luck with this piece.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_Zero your right about many thing and that the style is sort of "off" on some elements like the fence.

I did a repaint of the door and stones and the open sign. About the handle on the door I really don't know how to make it less flimsy hehe. I think it fits the door.

I also made room for the stone so the have own uv space. Did mirror the door about 40 % instead.

Also made an attempt at the tileable wall in the background.
    New:
    andreashalonen_wip_scene2.jpg
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made an update on the M4.
    andreashalonen.se_m4_wip.jpg
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New progress on the hand painted environment.
    screenshot_progress.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Don't use black that much in your handpainted textures, other than that decent work indeed.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't use black that much in your handpainted textures, other than that decent work indeed.

Thanks for the tip.

I've removed some black from the brown wood behind the windows and also started on the windows.

screenshot_progress2.jpg
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hi bloodmoon. You should reference this before you work on that house any more: http://www.tmhunt.com/pics/wood_tute.jpg

You don't need black. And you do need to reduce your brush opacity to about 20%m and take your time painting.

good luck, hope you take the crits here and implement them.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi PeterK,
    Thanks for the tips. The tech I've used is very similar to that tutorial but with a bit darker colors and some black. And also I've seen the tutorial before ^_^

I've trying to implement the crits I get as I go ^_^

Here is the progress so far:
    screenshot_progress4.jpg
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update, fence, sign and so on.
    andreashalonen.se_manatee_wip.jpg
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update to give the scene a bit of depth and personality still much missing but getting forward.
    screenshot_new.jpg