Home General Discussion

Game art topics for learning

Hey all...

In regards to game art (not just characters :P ), what sorts of topics would you like to learn more about/become more proficient in?

For example, making weapons... props... hair... etc...

Anything goes - just curious.

Replies

• gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me it would be props and hair.
    i find props bit difficult to model
    Basemesh would correct,but when sculpting. eg:- double side face
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I always find making complicated modular buildings and stuff an interesting topic
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Weapons(Sci-Fi)
    Hair
    Modular Assets/Buildings
    Animating Characters :P
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Hair in nearly all it's different styles has always been a problem for me.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, complex and modular stuff.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I 2nd complex modular sets.
  • penrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penrod polycounter lvl 14
    I'd like to see you go further in depth with the tutorials that you have on your website. It would be cool to hear you talk through your process for both. There are a ton of sculpting tutorials/dvds out there, but few that go over texturing and building animate-able game meshes with nice deformations. Also, I have seen some older school guys do some pretty amazing tricks with UV's and being smart about texture re-use.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Writing and optimizing efficient HLSL shaders for games.

Complex character rigging (especially mechanical, where there's less skinned animation and more rotation/sliding)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Lighting is something a lot of artists over look, when in reality it can make or break an entire level/scene.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Character design
    Long fur.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Intro do complex rigging
    Mechanical rigging
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Bibendum wrote: »
    Writing and optimizing efficient HLSL shaders for games.

Complex character rigging (especially mechanical, where there's less skinned animation and more rotation/sliding)

check out Ben Clowards DVD's. Really good stuff and works up from simple Diffuse HLSL to animating vertice points in 3rd DVD. (Haven't got 3rd DVD yet but the first two are awesome. Note he does focus on 3ds max but havent had a problem moving to maya. Just need to reference maya HLSL shaders)
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    complex real "nexgen" topics like muscle systems, advanced realtime shaders and how to create textures for them, hair, fur, modular character design, cloth simulations, ...
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Modular designs

Hair and fur

Blended/morphed normal maps (for facial expression) As far as I know, only Cryengine is the only widely available engine that does this right now, though, yes?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Biggest thing I think people need to learn judging by what was taught in school and what is used in the industry is more on Modular Design and use of tiling textures. In schools all they teach you is how to make props and then you see people with there entire folio 1to1 maps not using tilers or trim textures at all and having no understanding on how to correctly use them.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    texturing..
    planning UV space smartly for modular stuff
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah custom rigs! always wanted to learn that properly
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    there's tons of prop and evironment tuts, Rigging and vfx is a foriegn language to me!
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone for all of the input. It's interesting to see which aspects of game art people are most interested in. I suppose I'm a bit surprised about the requests regarding modular pieces, both in environment art and character, but stepping back I can see it definitely makes sense.

I agree on the Ben Cloward DVDs! Pick 'em up! I'm lucky enough to work with him- smart dude! :)

penrod - Those are pretty old school tutorials. I don't think there's anything on my site newer than 2.5 years old. I've been so busy with Star Wars - hopefully I'll have some time to get stuff up soon. Working on a new iteration of the course, full figure based, so will have that for show soon.

Thanks again all!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    ZacD wrote: »
    I always find making complicated modular buildings and stuff an interesting topic

Me too, mainly because it's where I lack the most.

Making props is fine, there's not a lot of reusing, making uv's are pretty straightforward, etc.

but environment art (architectural stuff) can get pretty complex and I still have to establish a good workflow for this, cos atm, i suck. :(
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree I think modularity is a good topic to cover. It seems to stump a lot of people and even if they get the concept there are a lot of tips and tricks that take the headaches away. It's hard to keep it app generic because it seems like each app has a unique way of dealing with the same problems, so it could be pretty challenging to buckshot teach, or spend a bunch of time teach it all.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Alot of modular environment making is the same as just prop tutorials. Maybe something that focus's on working with grid snapping or how to maximise uv space when you have a normal map to bake, etc.

Im still for rigging. especially when part of being an environment artist means knowing how to make animated set pieces, which I am not comfortable with yet.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    catstyle wrote: »
    yeah custom rigs! always wanted to learn that properly

I've always wondered, what do you guys mean by 'custom rig'?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    Alot of modular environment making is the same as just prop tutorials.
    I disagree, there is a lot more to think about and juggle when building modular pieces.
    Making sure everything lines up so they tile correctly, this normally involves a bunch of snapping.
    Making sure the pivots are aligned to the grid and that the grid matches the scene builder grid.
    Baking AO and normal maps that take into account the pieces on either side, even though the pieces can change.
    How small do you make your modules? Is each module a building, a story, a 512x512 tile or a handful of tiny pieces?
    How do you make corners and transitions?
    How about variant pieces using the same assets?
    How do you manage and package textures sheets?

With a prop, its normally pretty self contained. You might use modeling tools the same way but there is a bunch of stuff to think about with modular design. It often requires a truck load more planning, and the more you plan the better things are going to be.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I second Vig, modular environment art is hard and not only that, there's a lot of tips&tricks and small stuff that you should/need to know in order to don't fuck up and end up with headaches.

The shitty thing is, to learn this, you need to learn with your mistakes. So, it would be great if someone could write a very detailed article / tutorial about this topic, someone who has already been through those harsh times. Cos that's the way it works, a lot of people learn stuff the hard way and move on, cos not everyone has the time to mentor other people.

We have this, but it's not enough.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryEnvironment

I'd love if someone like Eat3d or whatever came up with a tutorial about modular environment art, it's something a LOT of people would buy for sure.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Jon Rush wrote: »
    Hey all...

In regards to game art (not just characters :P ), what sorts of topics would you like to learn more about/become more proficient in?

For example, making weapons... props... hair... etc...

Anything goes - just curious.

Physics of the gun, character, bullet distence between the wall or a mesh and its gravety at the end point.

umm..Collision detection.

Real time rendering in game engine :p

Oh wait you are just talking about game art. heh!
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol Nitewalkr...

That's all the smart person stuff. Me dum artist.

:P
  • Thor Sowards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16th Century Architecture!
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    hair plz :p
    also clothing , costume
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    Here's my list:

1)Texturing:
    a.Hand Painted
    b. WOW textures
    c. Props
    d. Metal, wood, brick, etc.
    e. Vehicles
    f. Fabrics
    g. Organic textures
    h. weapons
    2)Modeling:
    a. Hard Surface modeling
    b. sculpting with zbrush
    c. modular environments

3)2D Skills:
    a. Environment concept design
    b. Character design

well, at the very least these are my goals:)
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    IMO there are more than enough tutorials out there to choose from that cover ultra-realistic next-gen models. I would LOVE if you made some tutorials on hand-painted / WoW / Torchlight style texturing. The mobile gaming sector prefers this style as well.

I understand painting is more of a skill that must be practiced. But any tips/tricks/shortcuts to speed along the process would be awesome to watch. Plus just watching people traditionally paint textures is cool. :)