Home General Discussion

PC vs Xbox that old arguement..sorted

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Stinger88 polycounter
Finally the proof I've been waiting for. I've been arguing for ages that Mouse and Keyboard is far superior to console controller in fps and games that require aiming accuracy. I always get the feeling there's some auto aim assist in most xbox fps games anyway. A friend of mine swears blind that there are players on xbox live that are crazy fast and accurate. I'm sure they are...But against any average PC users they would end up looking like clumsy oafs. "Left a bit, no...right a bit...ahh...too far...now up a bit...shoot...now left a bit...no...right as bit..shoot, etc etc." There really was never a doubt in my mind console controllers are horrible clumsy tools for fps games. Anyway. I'm just glad I can put that argument to bed.

!!PC GAMERS RULE!!

http://kotaku.com/5593259/rumor-microsoft-killed-plans-for-pc-vs-xbox-360-online-play

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    perna wrote: »
    Stinger, you're probably the only person who needed an article to confirm that the mouse is a more accurate aiming device than a thumbstick. You can use a 360/playstation controller on PC anyway.

I think you've misunderstood the whole PC vs console debate?

Lol...no...I didn't need the article. My friend did though. I'm glad I can shut him up now. That's all.

I also know that consoles have there perks as well. Quick and easy gaming, no compatibility issues, virus free, etc, etc.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    !!PC GAMERS RULE!!

butch.jpg
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    As a pcgamer I will just have to say, can't we all get along?, the rants from either side usually just ends up giving people a headache.

a TON of people are enjoying games on both platforms, regardless of input.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    You could have just pointed out the range difference between a thumbstick and a mouse that pivots around the elbow, something like 1 inch versus 10 inches, giving the mouse ten times more accuracy for horizontal movement.

Usually the controller argument goes like this: The console owner says that the joypad is perfectly fine for multiplayer FPS gaming and the PC fan starts some huge retarded rant about how the mouse is better because it's more accurate.

Anyway, your "friend" should get an account here so we can hear his view, otherwise this thread is kind of pointless? Why post here if he doesn't post here too...

I know the argument is not confined to me and my mate. So I thought i'd share. For all those fellow PC'ers that have had to listen to the same argument I have to every time it crops up.

Sorry for being a "retard"...but yes...A mouse is better, because its more accurate. But i'm only saying for fps style games. Console controllers are better for driving, beatem up, shmups, platformers, and more. So dont think i'm just attacking consoles.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, the whole point with the article is that they wanted to make it so PC and console players could play together on the same servers, but as many have said in a long time (and actually asked if they could try play against console just to prove it) is that the mouse is just fast and more accurate. FPS on console might work on its own, because they have increased the hitboxs and added autoaim, but they just don't stand a chance against mouse/keyboard combination.

If console players really want to compeate on equal ground with PC players, they should design a mouse/keyboard controller that works just as well. Its doesn't need to look like mouse/keyboard, but the current controllers just doesn't cut it.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    a cntrullr is mur sewpeereer cuz u cn mk smlr ajuztmnts butt wid a mowz u haf to muv ur arm mor lol
    XBOX4LYFe
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I grew up behind consols and so the whole faster and more accurate to me is just bollox. Sure as in facts it it might just be, but you still have to be able to use it.

A high sensetivity on the consol can make my aim fly just as fast.
    The difference between a mouse and stick, is the way to stop it. You might say that one becomes better then the other, though if you have played as much as i have, you will not see the problem.
    A good consol gamer knows when to stop his stick and not overfly his target. Wich still happens a lot, but, then there is a trigger, if the aim is on target.. you use it. (and no dont start with that dragshot bullshit because that is gone in most cases)

The trick for a good aim is, that you use TWO STICKS for accuracy.
    Not only do you aim but you move to align your shot.

Now how does that work with your ASDF button huh, moves smoothly doesnt it. Try moving in circles or smoothly at all for that matter. "Yeah but straving isnt part of the game!" .. "And moving while shooting is unrealistic!" .. fawk off.

"Yeah but with a mouse! i know exactly at wich pixel my aim will end up!"
    .. Good for you, so do i.

YES, sometimes i do make a mistake wich with a mouse "might" have not occured, and now and then i do make a spactic thumbstick twitch and it makes me miss or my aim flies all over the place. You know what i do then? Sip my beer while respawning.

You make it sound like, a pc gamer will be supperior to a consol gamer.
    When one masters his tools, it's just as powerfull, Making it come down to the player. Just because you like the sound of a guitar better, doesn't make the piano less of an instrument.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bollocks id kill you anyday in a console versus pc match ^^
    Its like i play a 128 button piano and you a 4 string ukulele,
    of yourse you can roughly play the melody, but it wont get as fine and intricate :D
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Lol...I suppose this argumnet will rage on.

Yes. You can become a master of your tools. But some tools are better than others for certain jobs.

I'd love console gamers to be on TF2 servers. That'd sort this out once and for all.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • Rens
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (a brick with a note attached is thrown through the threads window)
    The note says:
    On the colsole its called aim assist. On the PC its called a hack.
    (The squealing of tires can be heard in the distance)
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, this is dumb. If you prefer playing on a PC, do that. If you prefer consoles, do that..

Why the need to justify it, and/or feel superior?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    because it's what he likes?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    what is this silly distinction of console gamer & pc gamer, I'm a GAMER.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I for one salute all gaming mediums and will buy a ps3 as soon as I can. :)
    (Got xbox and pc)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Honestly, when I was playing Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii, I found its control scheme to be more fun than mouse and keyboard or a traditional controller, even if it was less accurate. Can't things just be fun sometimes?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Can't agree more to that.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone knows PC Rigs, PC Games and PC Gamers own the hell out of Consoles.

End of story.
    I said GOOD DAY, SIR!
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People seem to want to turn it back into a console vs PC fun-factory competition, but its not the subject here. The subject is that if console and PC players were to play on the same servers (without the helptools that consoles usually get like autoaim), the average console player would most of the time get wooped by the average PC player. No "experiences consoles players can bla bla", if you take two people who has the same experience with their 'tools', the one with the best tools wins. In this case, the most accurate tools. And its just FPS, consoles is great for other genres, but PC just have an advantage with FPS.

But I guess some people just won't admit it, and I seriously wish that COD: MW2 was made so you could cross play platforms, just so we could get this settled, just to get those who don't listen to reason to see the 'truth'
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny story. Some kid in my former High School was talking about Call of Duty on the console and how he plays it on the PC aswell. Some kid turns around and says "How do you play a game on the PC?"

I was filled with so much rage.
    Yet again, these were a bunch of neds. And if you know anything about their culture they aren't very smart :/
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Eld. Nah, there's not that many games that i want for it. i have nothing against it... but donkey kong is seriously making my credit card twitch.

Also. Anyone else notice that it's the kiddies that do the "pc vs console"-thing? Maybe it's because they can't afford to buy them all and have to tell themselves they are the masters so they don't feel left out?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Bloody hell...I'm not attacking consoles, controllers or console gamers... I own consoles and love console games. I just posted a link and an opinion on an old argument thats been going around gaming communities for ages...I apologise. It wont happen again. Peace...
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger, I guess it's kind of the equavilent of a religious discussion or a thread about "How do I model a head?" or "How does a walk cycle work?"

You know? There have been so many people asking the same questions over the years and people get frustrated because they could've easily googled it. I guess it's just one of those topics that have been around for so long that it's just like "what' the point?"

PC GAMING still rules =] lol
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    didn't Quake 3 for the Dreamcast allow console VS PC players?
  • eld
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I thought this was settled back in the early UFC with the 'joystick master' vs 'keyboard warrior' cagefight to the death.

Furthermore who fucking cares? Only weird pathetic supernerds really get worked up over whether they can get a better k:d with a keyboard and mouse.

My favorite weird as hell 'controller vs controller' argument was a guy i encountered playing a hl1 mod. He informed me that he used a trackball to play exclusively because he could aim so much faster, and that he'd bound move forward to one button, turning to the ball, and fire to another button, and that was all he played with because it made him extremely good at this hl1 mod nobody played.

He went on to inform me that this made him like f4tal1ty, and that f4t4l1ty got 'mad pussy'.

I swear this is a totally true story but i never saw that guy in that game again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should spend more time making games than playing them. Especially if you're looking to break in. True story.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Mouse + keyboard are great for FPS and RTS.

Controllers are great for driving and fighting games.

end of story.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    Mouse + keyboard are great for FPS and RTS.

Controllers are great for driving and fighting games.

end of story.

I love short stories. I think for the sequel you should introduce other controllers, like steering wheels/pedals, arcade sticks, tablets and motion controllers!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You could have just pointed out the range difference between a thumbstick and a mouse that pivots around the elbow, something like 1 inch versus 10 inches, giving the mouse ten times more accuracy for horizontal movement.

Usually the controller argument goes like this: The console owner says that the joypad is perfectly fine for multiplayer FPS gaming and the PC fan starts some huge retarded rant about how the mouse is better because it's more accurate.

Anyway, your "friend" should get an account here so we can hear his view, otherwise this thread is kind of pointless? Why post here if he doesn't do so as well...

Yea. Telling them the particulars of the distances and such would fall above most of the console players understanding. (Yea I went there). Having this article with proof positive works.

BTW I talked to one of the developers of Shadowrun at one point and it did sound like though he tried to downplay the issue that they had to make some tweaks to make the differences between the platforms less noticeable. While somewhat implying that the PC version did have the upper hand.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob wrote: »
    Haha, this is dumb. If you prefer playing on a PC, do that. If you prefer consoles, do that..

Why the need to justify it, and/or feel superior?

Because consolers DO think they have the cats meow. When in fact they don't. I have come to accept consoles as part of games. Somethings will play better on them, while others like FPS don't. So I find it hilariously ignorant when you do hear the console FPS players go on and on.

Im also part of this tired of having my FPS dumbed down because the developer publisher made for the console with the PC as just a port versus taking into the considerations of the PC platform benefits.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only weirdos play fighting games on controllers.

Keyboard works cause of tactile input (unless you play a character with 360s) but joystick is where its at.

Seriously though oxy i dont get it. Is scraping out the MAXIMUM dps thanks to your awesome keyboard/mouse skills really what makes videogames fun?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Wait so, people actually thought that if the aim assist in console games was removed and a player using a Controller was set up against a player using mouse and keyboard, the guy with the controller would win? Really?

I love playing console games, seriously, multiplayer and all that, same with PC. But don't mix them, they're two different fields of gaming. In FPS and RTS games PC gamers will always have the upper hand. If they want to cross platform anything, do it for something like platform games, racing games etc. Things that don't rely on precision and speed.

Sad to see this get killed off so early due to bad testing though :/
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trackball is clearly the best.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Only weirdos play fighting games on controllers.

Keyboard works cause of tactile input (unless you play a character with 360s) but joystick is where its at.

Seriously though oxy i dont get it. Is scraping out the MAXIMUM dps thanks to your awesome keyboard/mouse skills really what makes videogames fun?

I don't understand what your asking. dps=fps? I also said consoles do work well with somethings. Fighting games is a great example. Though you can get a joypad for a computer as well. The console though you can play MP with your bud in a fighting game on your TV.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I prefer console shooters. Everyone is on a much more even playing feild then compaired to the PC.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I don't understand what your asking. dps=fps? I also said consoles do work well with somethings. Fighting games is a great example. Though you can get a joypad for a computer as well. The console though you can play MP with your bud in a fighting game on your TV.

Fighting game play on PC is really big, actually, i would think probably way bigger among the hardcore market than it is on consoles.

Anyway dps = damage per second. Like, pc gamers, wit ha mouse, can in theory get wayyy closer to the maximum possible damage dealt minute to minute in an fps than you can in console, but does that make the game any more fun?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyway dps = damage per second. Like, pc gamers, wit ha mouse, can in theory get wayyy closer to the maximum possible damage dealt minute to minute in an fps than you can in console, but does that make the game any more fun?

Ummm..yeah? You know, max damage = likely win, which kinda is the reason to play multiplayer...And again, if those two platforms was against each another, the PC player would have more fun, because of the epic frags ;)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    keyboard versus dancing mat, keyboard would win every time.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed wrote: »
    Ummm..yeah? You know, max damage = likely win, which kinda is the reason to play multiplayer...And again, if those two platforms was against each another, the PC player would have more fun, because of the epic frags ;)

I like to imagine i live in a world where people dont by entertainment solely because of a superiority complex.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Rens wrote: »
    When one masters his tools, it's just as powerfull, Making it come down to the player.

I'm gonna avoid just outright saying youre wrong here, and let you try to at least argue your position.

Do this on a 360 controller, then your argument will hold weight:
    skip to 1min to avoid the intro.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4zEge_iWPk[/ame]
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    If you manage to perform analogue movement on the keyboard I'll see your point.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80FWh_fQ_Zg[/ame]

Only a prototype though...but its pretty cool
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    WANT! No more shift to run :D
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like to imagine i live in a world where people dont by entertainment solely because of a superiority complex.

When was the last time you were in public matches on Xbox Live or Steam? Unfortunately there are a many jackass whom believe just that.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I have come to accept consoles as part of games.

Welcome to the club! I came to accept consoles as part of games 30 years ago, when I got my Atari 2600. Better late than never.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    marks wrote: »
    I'm gonna avoid just outright saying youre wrong here, and let you try to at least argue your position.

Do this on a 360 controller, then your argument will hold weight:
    skip to 1min to avoid the intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4zEge_iWPk

Great example. Analog movement has its value in some games, but in hardcore deathmatch FPS, there's no benefit to moving slower than max speed. When strafe-jumpers started dominating runners in Quake 2, it was clear that speed wins. You'll never rotate your character with an analog stick half as fast as you can with a sensitive mouse, etc etc.