Home General Discussion

Am i too old?

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Hoopla! polygon
Hey polycountonians, I have a question for anyone who has an opinion or some intimate knowledge.

I am an old man (31) and have been playing around with 3d for about two years now. i have been really enjoying learning something new and exploring the different directions one could go in this realm. i have and always will be an avid fan of video games and working in the industry would be a dream come true. recently however, i have been confronted with the reality that i may be too old to be considered for this line of work at an "entry level position" (internship, what have you). i was told this indirectly by an art director and was kinda thrown off as i had never even considered it.

a little background about me, i worked in an entirely different sector since the age of 14 and have no intention of going back to it. i am divorced and have one son who i see on holidays and summer break. i have lots of family in the area where i live "san diego" and some friends/family who are currently working in the dev biz.

iv owned a couple businesses and i know what its like to work all day and night and let other things take a back seat to my job obligations.

i dont have the funding to go thru art school and the part time job i am working will probably be ending very soon here.

im not expecting anyone to have the answer for me really but id love to hear if anyone has been thru this or has any words of wisdom for me. also, i plan to continue with 3d either way simply because i enjoy it. i know this is a crap time for game dev, well for anything. rockstar i guess just fired like 40 people and i hear little about anyone getting hired. idk, any thoughts would be appreciated. - chris

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yes, go listen to some oldies or something and forget about 3d!

J/K, No way are you too old! Yeah, its always better to start as young as possible, but I got into 3d art when I was 24 or 25 and that's on the older side I would say. Simply put, if you have talent, age doesn't mean anything. It's litterally just a number, and I believe if you are indeed very talented as an artist, being older will only help you.

IMO the game industry has been slowly recovering from the economic down fall, and I think that things have been getting better actually. It could just be my own personal experiences, but that's how I feel anyways.

Do you have a portoflio or work you can show? That would be a good start. :)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Not at all, I'm 31, and I say if you're good enough go for it. It's tough getting in, but as long as you're dedicated to the dream then by all means.

Legally speaking, employers can't ask your age in relation to the interview process. But, most young people tend to have more energy and enthusiasm during the interview process which can put them over. Though, most us older guys are bitter jaded vets, so on your first interview you could be giddy as a school girl, who knows.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think if your skills and attitude are in the right place, age doesn't matter.

I'm 33 and got in as an artist at 29. For 4 years before that I was working tech support and learning 3D. Before that I made wake and snowboards. There are a lot of 30+ people in the industry and I really don't see too much of an ageist slant put on hiring, but maybe that's just where I'm at?

It is a crappy time to be looking for work in the industry but its starting to bounce back.

I don't think you need any formal schooling to do most of the jobs in this industry but it can be a good way to learn if you have trouble learning on your own.

Personally I would hire someone that was self taught and had a great attitude and portfolio over someone who crapped out a few rigid school assignments and followed someones close instructions, to the letter.

The only thing I see as being a factor with age, is how jaded the person is. With the industry being as rough as it is on people its easy for years worked to = damaged goods. So I would make sure the skills and attitude shine through and I bet you'll land something.

It can also become an issue because age can = higher expected wages, but it doesn't sound like that will be an issue, you seem to be living pretty light.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I'm in almost the exact same boat, although I've been fiddling with 3D art for most of my adult life, and have done a few contracts here and there for games that have shipped.

Im 31, spent more than 10 years working in the photography/retouching industry where my last full-time position was as the art director for a big photo company.
    I refuse to believe that I'm too old to break in. If you've got the skills they need and the determination to work hard and succeed it shouldnt matter how old you are. (Nevermind the fact that discriminating against you for your age is illegal). If you're the right guy for the job, that is all that should matter.

Yes, this industry often finds itself with a lot of layoffs after the end of a big project, especially lately in this economy. Every game published is a bit of a risk and most studios dont have the cash to weather big flops while still maintaining a large staff. You need to be prepared for a bit of instability, but if its what you want, I say go for it. Live beneath your means once employed, stay ahead of the curve in terms of skills and production techniques and I'd say you should be ok.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I know of a guy your age, from my school, that "got in". He's now a technical artist at a 3D animation studio.

Really, it's not about age. Even though he was older and never even finished highschool, he persevered, kept going (unlike many other kids) and wasn't satisfied with anything but the best. I think in his case specifically, it really stood out how he focuses so much on quality and was almost never satisfied quickly with his work.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    My own personal story is that I worked in the multimedia design world until I decided that I wanted to use my art skills in the video game world at age 32. I manged to get a junior art role based on the merits of my portfolio and it probably didn't hurt that everybody usually think that I am in my mid twenties.. but that's besides the point. Changing careers at any age means start from scratch and competing with people that are younger then you..that's the reality of it. Now that I have 2 years under my belt I really cant say that age is ever an issue, sure moist of the guys that i work with are younger then me but we all watch the same movies, play the same games and read the same comics. I guess you could run into ageist people when hiring but its not like its something they can ask you about in an interview, and besides with the rate of turn over at game companies its not like they are worried about you being around for the next 30 years. Breaking in and competing can be difficult but it sure beats working at a job i hate and feeling like a pussy for never following my dreams.
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel so young and easily malleable now. Nice to know everyone still has time :3
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I can relate, 28 here, from san diego and also trying to break in. Been workin' on this for a few years now.

First to address your main concern, are you too old? No, not if you're competent with computers, able to evolve as an artist and able to get a decent portfolio together, the average age of game developers is up there, it's not like movies and commercials that portray game devs as a bunch of teens.

The way i see it if you were applying for an entry level position, an internship type deal, they would likely give it to a young kid to help them out, but neck and neck against someone with a similar portfolio for a real position they might actually give you the edge since you're a bit more mature and stable, but that's just my take on it. Like Vig said if you're enthused you could be the best of both worlds, stable and energized.

Also of note, be ready to move out of san diego. There are a few companies down here, but generally they don't hire often. Though as we speak High Moon has a couple positions listed on their site. SOE is also a major player down here, lets hope their upcoming titles do well enough that they consider hiring again (they too just recently let go a decent % of their workforce).

Here's a video you should watch involving the game industry that was posted not long ago, helps shed light on what the industry is like for many:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012343/The-Belly-of-the-Whale

Main point is that the industry isn't always sunshine and rainbows, the idea that the only hurdle is "breaking in" is a common mistake by new artists, but if you're like most around here, the passion for getting into this industry and making games wont be dissuaded by pretty much anything.

Good luck building the folio and on the hunt!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    many years ago, we gave someone deep into in his 50s his first game industry job. He drank himself to death soon after. True story.

and then a while back gave another bloke who was ... actually i've no idea how old he is, but he was way older than you when he joined ... his first game artist job and he's going great guns. Still alive and everything.

age is meaningless. Get it done.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Well, I'm 28 and have only been seriously learning the craft for about a year and a half. Before that, I dabbled in 3D for a couple of years while working in advertising sales and tech support. I'm entirely self-taught, as I can't afford formal schooling either, and probably wouldn't bother with it even if I could.

I don't expect to be confident enough to start applying for gigs until I'm 30 or so. It doesn't put me off, though - the things I've learned in other industries and life situations have served me well, and I'd say they're most definitely an advantage over someone younger.

Vig raises a good point for those of us a little older; I think the passion and enthusiasm really has to be evident in your work and your personality, as does flexibility and a willingness to learn and adapt - one potential negative aspect of being older than some candidates is that it's easier to be (or appear to be) set in our ways.

I say go for it - if you're passionate, determined and resourceful, you'll make it eventually. I think so many people find it intimidating and give up is because they underestimate either the amount of knowledge / skills required to be good, or the amount of time and work involved - the resolve to see something through and not give up will separate you from a lot of wanna-be's and hobbyists.

Search the forums and the wiki, read the stickies, do your research into what aspect of game development you want to be involved in and start posting work here - and don't give up!
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Just turned 29. Just started myself last year:) Age really has nothing to do with, just the ability to do it, good luck!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psst... your not even old enough to run for president.

Now get your moldy ass in gear and crank out some art!
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, some great advice here!

I'm 25 and feel the same way, and while I'm yet to get my first industry job, I've spent the last year or so developing my skills and still have a fair old way to go. I'm afraid I can't offer you a lot of advice but one thing I have learned the hard way is do not rush any of your work.

Having the 'am I too old, is it too late' mentality in the back of my mind gave me the stupid idea that I needed a portfolio asap, and I just filled it up with a load of half-assed stuff that coulda been 10 times better had I taken some time on it. I'm learning now to take time, and put 100% into every single thing you do, and you'll get so much more out of it.

I gotta say I have a lot of respect for anyone who puts in the time and effort to really develop their skills regardless of what area they work in and it's honestly great to see that you're obviously very keen!

Best of luck with it all!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I didnt start till 30 ish.

Age means nothing in the creative industry. If your portfolio is good you'll get work. I dont think age comes into it when you are an artist. I doubt i'll ever retire. I might slow down a bit in old age. But i'll always be creating something. I expect at 65 i'll be freelance and hopefully i'll be well off enough and good enough by then to pick and choose work that comes in....Thats the plan anyway. But who knows what the future might bring.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    As another "oldy" I too got into it way in the later game. I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps before I even knew what a "3dsMax" was. Went to school for a few years and started at High Moon after that where I've been since.

Some of the more successful students are people who are more mature and serious about this and can focus. I've had more than my fair share of 18 year old students who think this is easy and don't take the industry challenge level seriously. I try to pressure my students to see just how hard the competition is out there, but it isn't about age as much as it is about skill.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Never too old to learn new things, just have to be willing to accept you don't automatically know everything due to being old. If you can approach something ego-free, with a bit of maturity, I'm sure there's no age limit on art. There are talented painters out there who didn't start until they were 80. If there's any greater maturity to be found with age, it's worth it to explore what you're interested in. I only caution against ego because I've known a lot of old men who refuse to accept they don't know everything... not that you're an old man just yet!
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    wow, thank you so much, no time to reply right now but will soon. thank you again. im just going to assume that my work was not good enough and next time i get a chance i will let my work speak for its self.

you guys are awesome.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    <--37 been working at a game company for 2 years before I left a couple months ago.

Although, it's definitely a 'young man's' game. To find jobs, you'll hop around the country per project. Lots of people find jobs for years and years at a time but many do not and will move to where the job takes them, if you are married or have children, then it will be harder for you to find a job since you will be trying to stay local to where ever you drop roots.

I'm 37 going on 38, still at a junior level (I guess) and can't get a reply back from most studios in the Dallas area. One being not enough high poly stuff in my portfolio and second being I'm tied to only the Dallas are because of family. I'm currently inbetween 2d contracts and have been looking for jobs but many of those veteran 3d modelers out there can go months between contracts and it makes it even rougher.

Yes it can be done, just make sure you know what you want to do and how to get there.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    never too old! terrible way to think :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    old man LOL, I am nearly 42
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Gotta be honest and say that the "age" thing is what as held me back the most from giving game art and education everything I've got. I started learning 3D properly when I was 19, I'm 21 now, soon 22 and I have not really gotten anywhere good. I'm still putting together a solid base of information(and practicing) to make growth a little easier, but still, the whole "you're too old for this" has been lingering there, sapping me of joy.

Suffice to say after reading this, I feel incredibly stupid. Thanks PC, again, for showing me the way :)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Don't worry about age. Just go for it!
    I'd say the only reason the company could be concerned about your age is when they expect you to work sick hours. And when you're in your 30s it's kinda hard to take you as a nerd with no life.
    Otherwise it's kinda strange. As long as you're good at what you do, your age shouldn't be a problem.
    Hoping to see your art around here soon!
    Cheers)
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    We have two people who started here older than you as artists with no previous experience. The key was they had talent and persistence. If you want it and are truly talented it won't matter how old you are.

In non artist terms, we have people who are MUCH MUCH older than that working here who also have 0 previous experience in video game development, but a lot of cross over skills and experience from other industries that are applicable.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I remember once signing a contract that said on my 65th birthday I am to hand in my resignation. apparently thats too old to be an artist? never really understood that as what if this 65 year old is really good at what they do? should atleast be a choice imo.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    lol, 31 is not old! You should only abandon your dreams in the day you die.

If you really start cracking now, in less than one year you should have a decent portfolio and be able to join a decent studio. It's all about dedication, not age!

good luck!
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    I´m 19 years old and tried to get an intership but no bigger 3d related company which makes sucessfull games in Germany wanted me for a 6month internship. Maybe you have to ask if you don´t have to be too young to get an intership?! [or the Art that was made sucked and sucks too much in their eyes.]
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i don't think thats about beeing too old or beeing too young, or if the art suck, sometimes its just bad timing and a month later its an entirely different situation.

so tno try bigpoint berlin / radon labs, they just got bought and now are on a new production so it might be good time for an internship, but basicly you should know some maya...
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    that would be a nice idea with the company in Berlin.
    one small problem is that i live in Rhineland-Palatinate and now the ultimative problem;
    I can only affort the trial version at the moment X-/.
    I tried some month ago to learn 3ds max in the 30 days they give..[result was that i know now how to import cameras lights objects animations and render it..
    and modelling some crappy objects in max^^]
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    old-man-laughing.jpg
    of course not!
  • superZ61
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude some of the people in xbox game programming are over 40 so you have a long time to get a job and start pushing ahead
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO wrote: »
    that would be a nice idea with the company in Berlin.
    one small problem is that i live in Rhineland-Palatinate and now the ultimative problem;
    I can only affort the trial version at the moment X-/.
    I tried some month ago to learn 3ds max in the 30 days they give..[result was that i know now how to import cameras lights objects animations and render it..
    and modelling some crappy objects in max^^]
    So you're trying to learn 2 things at once. The universal fundementals of modeling and how to use the app. If you only have 30 days to learn how to use the app then you should spend 6mo-1yr learning the universal fundamentals in something you can afford like Silo or Modo.

Also know that Autodesk has student versions available for 6-13 months.
  • pthomas1172
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pthomas1172 polycounter lvl 10
    your not too old..I'm almost 40... but Ive been doing this 16 years o_0
  • freakmean16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think age doesnt mean a thing, you are how you feel,so if you feel old, old you are, Im 25, been in this for almost 3 years now, got a lot learn too, but Im not rushin into the industry, being living in country with no videogame industry btw... So I think we should improve our portfolios, and be the best there is at what we do....and what we do is very nice....

Here's a video you should watch involving the game industry that was posted not long ago, helps shed light on what the industry is like for many:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012343/The-Belly-of-the-Whale

Ahh and thanks for the GDC conference.....
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    If your over 25 you better start planning for your funeral now.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    If your over 25 you better start planning for your funeral now.

yeah seriously i'm too old for Starcraft 2 or even 1 in multiplayer, my heart just can't handle the pressure :poly122:
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    31 isn't to old. It's a good age. Get cracking on the art and don't let the whippersnappers give you any lip about it.

Neox? Like this? You aaaaare german after all.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcctWbC8Q0[/ame]
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    i'm certainly not to old for unreal tournament :D
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Hoopla! wrote: »
    iv owned a couple businesses and i know what its like to work all day and night and let other things take a back seat to my job obligations.

Age isn't an issue. But this quote is what I'd be most concerned about in your position. The game industry, and software development in general can be very demanding time-wise. Some companies will institute death marches when in crunch mode. We're talking long hours, weeks on end with no weekends. Not all companies are too bad about this, but some are.

I was 27 when I got a job in 3d, after working in another field. I was married, but had no kids. Occasional long hours were acceptable. Now I'm 37 and have 2 kids and have many more responsibilities outside of work. Death marches are not acceptable. Even the occasional last minute "We need this done tonight" request can be challenging for me now. I work at a good, well-run company (which seems somewhat rare in the games industry), yet this stuff (occasional long hours) still happens.

If you're really interested in 3d, then by all means go for it. But you may want to be warry when picking where to work. I would be sure to ask them in the interview how often and long they go into crunch mode, and what an average day was like. For those of us with a lot of responsibilities outside of work, and average 11 hour day with frequent 16 hour days with no weekend crunches simply isn't acceptable. It wouldn't be fair to you or the company if you took a job where this was the norm.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i dont hink it has something todo with age or starting early

i started doing graphics with 13, andnow, 10 years later i dont do graphics at work
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28041/Study_Game_Developers_Increasingly_Newcomers_To_Business.php

Game developers are getting younger, not older.
    Most game developers have less than six years of experience.
    13% of game developers have ten years or more experience.

Before you switch careers, you should consider how much it will cost and if you will ever see a return on investment.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    RyanB wrote: »
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28041/Study_Game_Developers_Increasingly_Newcomers_To_Business.php

Game developers are getting younger, not older.
    Most game developers have less than six years of experience.
    13% of game developers have ten years or more experience.

Before you switch careers, you should consider how much it will cost and if you will ever see a return on investment.

It's because of the burnout rate, 50% of the people who enter the game industry drop out after 5 years. I don't know the stats for time past that but I found it funny how EA treats your 5 year anniversary the same way other industries treat your 20th.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Justin, is that figure somewhere? I would think that's pretty high but I can easily see that's a real figure. At almost 38 I don't see myself trudging around the country for jobs now that I got a house and a wife with a great job and all. Now looking for jobs here in my area and it's rough out there still... makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking to leave my previous job. :D
  • oXYnary
  • fried
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was pointed in the direction of this thread. Threads like these always give me hope.

I am 29, and want to make a career change. Game art has always been my burning desire.

So, lets start together, what you say. :) Me at 29, and you at 31, and lets show these young ones how its done . :P