Home General Discussion

The new GTX 460

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-460-Debut-ZOTAC-EVGA/?page=3

Finally an affordable DX11 card from Nvidia, starting at $199, I may finally updated my 9800GT.

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    thats pretty cool, I just picked up a GTX 470 a few weeks ago it was pretty pricey at $460 after tax, this looks a bit more affoardable, oh well.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Still looking for mid-range, and the 5770 seem like the only slot for that

BTW I thought the 5830 was reasonable price, but looks like the 460 has a slight performance vantage at the same price range.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    They look decent, I was all up for replacing my 8800GTS with a 400 series till they revealed the prices. Might go back and take another look now!
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It helps to watch sites like slickdeals.net as well. I was planning on holding on to my GTX 285 for a while longer until I picked up an EVGA GTX 480 for $380 shipped.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll just wait for the GTX480 rev. Cool&Quiet ;) Or GTX"Fermi with full 512 cores". GTX460 is really great card if you haven't jumped the gun in last generation(HD4, GTX2 -series).
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Nice deal but will wait till DX11 becomes worthwhile to have and by that time im sure there will be a lot of newer/better/cheaper cards out.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I'll wait for the next die shrink. The 400 series is too power hungry and heat for my tastes.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    lol i have not upgraded my 8800gtx yet and so far nothing has really made me want to do it either, most software is so much further behind the hardware curve its almost pointless to upgrade.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    rawkstar wrote: »
    lol i have not upgraded my 8800gtx yet and so far nothing has really made me want to do it either, most software is so much further behind the hardware curve its almost pointless to upgrade.

I guess it depends on your situation. I play at 1080p+ resolutions and my 8800 GTS OC is feeling the crunch and usually need to down res to 1680x1050 with current games. Seems like current gen is 5x faster, so it's tempting now...
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    My 9800gtx handles everything just fine, no need to upgrade that. Wondering when we'll be seeing 6 core intel cpus for decent prices though (or 8 core whenever those come out).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The i920's have four cores with 2 threads each, which basically makes them 8 cores, they tear apart standard quad cores when doing stuff like mental ray rendering or baking textures, can't find the benchmarks right now, but when it comes to games the performance difference isn't as huge because most games aren't bottle necked by the cpu and aren't full multi core optimized, but still significant, like 20% difference in some games.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    ZacD wrote: »
    The i920's have four cores with 2 threads each, which basically makes them 8 cores

So do standard quad cores.

I'm running a LGA775 based mobo, so for me to upgrade its got to be a major improvement in performance as I'd need to not only get a new cpu, but a new mobo and ram as well. upgrading all that for another quad core when their are 6 core processors on the market (even if they're overly spendy atm) doesn't seem to make alot of sense. Plus Intel supposedly will be ditching the LGA 1366 spec in less then a year.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    So do standard quad cores.

I'm running a LGA775 based mobo, so for me to upgrade its got to be a major improvement in performance as I'd need to not only get a new cpu, but a new mobo and ram as well.
    I feel the same way. I do the occasional render for video/print, my "old" comp runs fine. (Quad 2.4, 8GB ram & GTX295).

But when I HAVE to run a DX11 card, I know I am getting one of the higher end nVidia ones for sure.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    rawkstar wrote: »

and you can spend the upgrade money on more console games