Home› Technical Talk

Anime/mmo style characters?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Ive always found characters like this interesting, but now im starting to wonder about the workflow. Creating a high poly doesn't seem very practical in my eyes, since these arent next/current gen characters. So does anyone want to help me out and give me some information on this style? Or does anyone know of any tutorials where characters like this are made? This looks like a very creative way to design characters and i really want to try myself :P.

example:
likeb.png

Replies

• amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What game is that from?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have you seen that tutorial on 3dtotal? the Sword Master character one check it out the tutorial is a bit outdated ofc but I think it might be what you are looking for though I might be wrong

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw that. I had bought a tutorial from 3dtotal before and found that it didn't show reference images in the viewport and i was really mad. I went googling for the pdf of the sword master and just as i suspected its basically pictures of them modeling against nothing and i didnt find it very helpful.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    start with a really well planned concept-art, and pay as much attention to details as you can at your current level

those characters aren't exactly cutting edge in terms of technology, but the amount of effort put into faces and armor details is making them shine. (Also BLOOM, lol)

spend as much time as you need to make them look good.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see you can change faces in the options, does this mean the head should be separated?

Id use 3dx ripper to rip the models and learn from them but i think ijji's hack shield would guard that.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    id forget about implentation specific stuff, you dont need to worry about face swapping if your not exporting it to an engine. get some good concept art and copy it as closely as possible. They may have a few clever tricks to get certain looks but 99% of any good model is good observation from the concept art/ reference.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im more so talking about the overall creation method, not the designs on the armor.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You aren't sending your model straight into mmorpg engine, why would you care about head separation?
    You will separate it during UVing most probably, but it's up to you if you're gonna keep the whole body as a single mesh.

Japanese developers tend to increase polygon density on the faces a lot -
    check this Leon's model for example:
    http://img.neoseeker.com/v_concept_art.php?caid=49

there's a pack of FFX character models and a specific viewer for those, google it up - they're pretty interesting to look at, especially wireframes and uv packing.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While we're on the subject, would anyone know where to find some good front and side orthos of a female?
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    3d.sk is a great place for getting reference images
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free please. And id much prefer vector drawings. I usually download other peoples base meshes and make orthos from that and model my character from it, but i cant really find any.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I went googling for the pdf of the sword master and just as i suspected its basically pictures of them modeling against nothing and i didnt find it very helpful.
    I have that tutorial, and it's still very helpful. Learning to model without rotoscopes might be an important skill to develop.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just remembered the joan of arc tutorial provides ref images (the free one) those should work well.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Just make a regular character and then turn the bloom up until you can't see it any more.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright heres my so far low poly game char, its 2k tris. First ever attempt at actually painting skin in PS and to me its not THAT bad.

low.png
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, good that you're posting your work, this'll help us narrow down where you're not hitting your target (that target being the characters at the top, I assume).
    I wouldn't start off with 'I don't think it's THAT bad', though, it's not the best way of thinking. Is it what you're going for, or isn't it?

Now, whether you sculpt this or not is mostly up to your workflow. Personally, I'd sculpt it and retopologise, but only because I love that workflow. Even if you don't end up using the sculpt (and it can therefore be very simple or coarse), it's a nice way of blocking something out.
    Or you could polymodel them from scratch if you prefer, either way is fine.

If you're going to use normalmaps though, sculpting's the only way to go for characters, as far as I'm concerned (and many with me).
    I can't say for sure whether those characters up there used sculpts for the normalmaps, but I would assume so. Ofcourse, with that bloom it's hard to tell, and the muddy texturing isn't helping either. Either way, not using a sculpt will result in some pretty awful normalmaps, that's as good as given for a character.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well above is pretty much what i was shooting for. I was saying that for my first time painting skin its not THAT bad. I dont plan to ever have the feet and legs shown naked so i didnt bother with any muscle detailing. Im also not planning on having the hand shown bare either, and definitely not this close. I do have plans for hair but i currently dont know how to use alphas in marmoset.

dude.png

I personally dont see any problem with my mesh currently, except maybe the hand. Ill post some wires of that soon. I also wish the lips were.

As for the armor plates i will definitely be using ZBrush.

Here is a very quick test plate i made with 512x512 texture/diffuse Its just 2 colors and i didnt actually spend time on the diffuse and specular map, this was just to see how it would look and how id go about doing it.
    plate.png
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    What reference are you using? There are a few things that look like they could do with fixing on the mesh that jump out at me.

His neck is Totally the wrong shape, in your model its a weird cone shape tapering up the head. in reality its made up around 3 major volumes, the sternomastoid coming up from the clavicles, trapezious coming up from the back and then the wind pipe coming from inside the chest. Id atleast have a look at how these fit together. To be honest I think you'd get a better result if stopped modeling and took the time to learn some anatomy.

The crotch needs a central set of loops running between the legs or it wont deform correctly. have a look here

Id also go take another look at the armor. Like i said earlier you need to follow the reference and not just glance at it and copy a couple of details. The plates are not sqaure and they don't have those patterns

If you need more pics of this sort of armor in reality you can google 'gothic armor' and check this site
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason the neck stands out very bad in the image above, look at the one before it. Ill fix it though, i noticed this before but got side tracked.

I modeled this against orthos created from this base mesh: http://nickzucc.blogspot.com/

Im not trying to mimic any of the armor above specifically, and im not planning to include that plate either. I was experimenting to how it would act in zbrush and with baking.

The face is starting to look ugly as fuck and really creeping me out, along with being way to generic. And im not sure if it would match with the armor, even being partially visible.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9610fc8a5e3ac68a3b0d471404c27.png

Better female orthos, without the nudity! seriously, we need to shape up with the nudity here!