Home General Discussion

To Cintiq or not to Cintiq?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
I have been toying with the idea of getting a wacom Cintiq 21UX for some time but am worried about spending that amount of money on something I cant drive :)

Currently Im a freelance character artist and work on an A5 wide Intuos 3 which I love but I see Cintiqs being used more and more with high end studios and they are sexy as hell. But then I read reviews from illustrators in ImagineFX and other sites saying they arent that great and they would rather stick with the standard intuos.

The main drawbacks they had were with the screens brightness which is not as powerful as your standard monitor which affects your contrast and colour and that its hard to work on for a substantial amount of time. they gave it 3.5/5, and for something that costs so much I really want 5/5 :)

so to you Cinitiq users out there :) how good are they? are they easy to work with and have they made you a more productive artist?

I would be mostly using it for Zbrush sculpting, texturing and concepting. thanks for any help/advice :D

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I'm working more convenient when I don't see my hand + pen over the canvas.. I use my cyntic (the smaller one) just for concepting yet
    And I really love that the normal tablet doesn't get warm
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    It's best for hand drawn animation.

toon001.jpg
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently sold my Cintiq 12WX as the screen res was just a bit too small to be really nice to work on. Photoshop was just a bit cluttered and there was too much scrolling around large textures. There's also a really noticeable gap between the surface you touch and the screen itself, you get used to it but it always feels a bit wrong. In the end, I found it nicer to work on a regular monitor at a high res and a mid-sized Intuos tablet.

The 21" Cintiq might be a different story.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ After using one, I realised how much it was a terrible idea. I spent a day with it and would never ever go back for the following reasons:

• My hand was covering too much of the image to see the 'whole picture' as I worked on things.

• I couldn't sit at a nice distance away from the screen, so it sort of felt like I was about to shouted at by my parents 'for sitting too close to the tv' every 5 minutes.

• Using keyboard shortcuts while using the pen seemed like I was in a minority report scene. Too much moving hands in really different directions.

• Two screens with a intuos 4 at work seems so far superior in comparison.

• Constant warming of my hand was more irritating than I thought possible.

• My arm got tired after a while. <
    This really pissed me off.

Although saying that, Cameron really likes em. lol, so ask him to give you the opposite point of view.
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got the smaller one (12WX) and I've found it to be a bit too small when you take into account the program's interface. I noticed this the most while using Zbrush and that was even after I customized the interface and made it smaller. I often find myself just using it as a regular wacom these days because my main monitor is much bigger and easier to work on.

With that said I reckon the larger model would be great and solve all the problems I have with the smaller one, the problem is I don't have money to buy on gadgets these days.
  • Mladen Jovicic
    its beyond worth it, especially if you do sculpting.
    shit, when i first got it, productivity hit through the roof. i seriously couldn't put the pen down.
    its easy to use and i cant image myself going back to using the smaller tablets.
    probably the smartest thing i have ever invested in.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    pro's - direct feedback
    con's - there is a very noticeable offset from tip position to cursor position

pro's - the ability to rotate the device
    con's - the screen gets hot fast! making it less enjoyable to work with on warm summer days.

pro's - matte anti-glare surface and a slight texture for a bit of paper feel (still picks up glare from lights)
    con's - easily scratched - (I have this thing for 4/5 months now and with average use have some big scratches on it)

All in all its a nice piece of hardware with unfortunately some mayor flaws, I don't know what kind of improvements the new model has over the one pictured above, but its not the perfect artists input device.

anyway, seeing the work you are doing with a normal tablet, I don't see why you would want a cintiq. Sure its nice and looks cool on any desk, but it takes some time to get used to and you need to find workarounds for some of its flaws. plus the scratches, ugh.

In the end it comes down to how you like to work.

If you want to have your input device take center stage and don't mind to invest time into it, take a cintiq

if you like to sit behind your desk with a tablet on your lap, sketching, then this is not your thing.

the perfect device would be:
    portable
    no offset between the pen tip and the cursor
    does not heat up
    anti scratch surface
    good tech support from its manufacturer

all those points are not found in the cintiq

PS getting your scratched glass surface recoated costs you 450 bucks (not supported in your warranty)
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I give you my opinion as a freelancer Character artist, this mean I used it everyday for hours on end, to concept,paint,model, sculpt whatever. (21ux) Ive been with it for years now.

The lag thing, Nah, Never seen that, maybe your pc suck if you have lag. The heat, Not enough to be a pain , scratching surface, is either cause your pen nip is too old, or u press to hard..

For me, after a few mins i was sold. Its alot more fun to paint and sculpt with that thing, its like RIGHT there! anyway. Like i said my opinion as a character artist , its a Joy to have.
  • Trappe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree with everything B1ll said and the problems some people mention about the hand covering up the screen and things like that, you get used to it. Took me just as long to master the intuos and looking at the screen but drawing on another surface.

Lag and noticable offset between pen tip and curson I´ve never ever noticed nor any problem with heat. It does have some problems with brightness but from what I´ve gathered that´s been fixed in recent versions.

The only problem I had was when I had worked with a cintiq for a long time and then got a job where I had to use a intuos again, took me a good while to re-learn that thing :)
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    it's completely worth it..I have one at work and it's spoiled me

Empty actually came across a good way to protect the surface..if you are a hard pressing foo...just go to Hobby lobby and pick up a roll of acetate and cover the screen with it ...I think it was like 8$
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I've never met anyone with the smaller cintiq who was completely happy with it, but the 21ux is a different story--I've been using that for years at work and had to save up my pennies to get one at home. It's fantastic.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    I dont have a cintiq but im curious how your hand could get in the way? u have same problem when drawing on paper? 0.o
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    b1ll wrote: »
    I give you my opinion as a freelancer Character artist, this mean I used it everyday for hours on end, to concept,paint,model, sculpt whatever. (21ux) Ive been with it for years now.

The lag thing, Nah, Never seen that, maybe your pc suck if you have lag. The heat, Not enough to be a pain , scratching surface, is either cause your pen nip is too old, or u press to hard..

For me, after a few mins i was sold. Its alot more fun to paint and sculpt with that thing, its like RIGHT there! anyway. Like i said my opinion as a character artist , its a Joy to have.
    there is virtually no lag, only an offset (5 mm between the point where you put down your pentip and the cursor is displayed) this can be slightly corrected by configuring your tablet but its very far from perfect.

and the scratches are only on the semi new ones (2006 till 2009 models?) who have glass surfaces, since glass is pretty shiny they put down a coating on it to reduce glare and add a bit of texture, this is the stuff that scratches and it costs 450 bucks to have it recoated. Its just fail for such an expensive product. and no I paint very lightly and my tips are like new, I replace them on a monthly basis (got a shitload of them)

anyway, it did not make me a more productive artist:
    the thing is so large that if you are a heavy shortcut user, you have to find a small enough keyboard that fits between you and the cintiq. you need to change the way you work.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Iv got the 12 wx and I love it. Only thing is I wake up every day wishing I had the 21. :(

Like others have said, the UI in photoshop, etc. is simply too cluttered on the 12 wx do to the screen resolution. This by far doesn't make it unusable or anything, but it does make you "uncomfortable" at times.

The only time I actually like the smaller screen of the 12 wx is when I'm working on Iphone characters. It's sort of nice on the lower res. to get a feel for how they look.

I think anyone who gets the 21 ux, and gets the proper setup will love it. Hell if you find you don't like working off the cintiq you can always just map it to other screens and use it as a intuos with an extra screen. Personally I do this with my 12ux from time to time to use my higher resolution monitors, so I get a different look at what I'm working on. Then I throw something less important on the cintiq like my IM manager. :)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I decided last night I'm going to go buy one. Going from work where I have one to home frustrates and annoys me.

Everything is better on a cintiq
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I dont have a cintiq but im curious how your hand could get in the way? u have same problem when drawing on paper? 0.o

well, you know, when you have 6 fingers... it can get a little cluttered. i thought you would have first hand experience in this arena Inigo. :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've owned a 21ux for about 2 years now, between home and work I've put alot of hours into it and I have no regrets.

I've found that I spend less time undoing strokes with the Cintiq, I've drawn with traditional tablets for about 13 years but it never matched how I naturally draw.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Had the 15" for a while. Sold it and upgraded to the 21" for home use.

I have a tablet at work and it sucks compared to the Cintiq I have at home.

It is by far one of the best investments I have made.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I've been using a Cintiq at work for the past 9 months and it was a real pain to go home and use an Intuos, so I bought a second hand 21UX a couple of months back (thanks Karmageddon!) and I'm really enjoying using it. The main difference for me is that speed painting and line drawing feel closer to doing it traditionally. It's still not perfect - I still have to move the pen faster than I would with a pencil to nail a big stroke, but with some practice I'm getting more consistent. Blocking out compositions and thumbnailing feels a lot more fluid too, but maybe it's just me. I definitely couldn't go back to an Intuos now.

The lower conrast levels and the tendency for colours to lean towards red is kind of annoying, but I always check my work on another display as I go along.

I'd say that you should try one out before buying though - it's definitely a big investment and not everyone likes using a Cintiq. I think there are licensed Wacom retailers in most big cities that will let you have a play with one.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    YEah trying it is really the best idea

Id love it if wacom would make a portable version of the 21ux so i could move it around (with a laptop).. sheesh, PLEASE! DO IT!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I love my 12WX-- I think it's at least 20% better than using a normal Wacom, although the screen's saturation is fucked :(
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I had a 12wx, it was great, but a little too small for me. work got me a 21ux and it's been the best thing I've ever touched. I love it. just wish I was drawing more at work again, but it's fantastic for sculpting. never had any issues.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18

Id love it if wacom would make a portable version of the 21ux so i could move it around (with a laptop).. sheesh, PLEASE! DO IT!
    A 18 incher would be perfect! I will sell my 21incher if they make one more portable but not so small as the 12"
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Have the 15 inch at home and have been working with the 21 at work for around 3 years now. I can't go back. They are awesome.
  • Trappe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbookpro - Looking forward to reviews when this hits hopefully first quarter 2011, but I think it´s been postponed more than once.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    When someone makes an affordable Ipad-type device with pressure sensitivity I will be first in line! I think the reason that we've not seen many tablet pcs with sensitivity is because Wacom owns all the patents for that technology (right?).
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    theres a 15" Josh? Is it more portable then the 21? lol Similar feature then the 12 one?

TELL ME, i want a small one for traveling, I don't wanna have to bring the 21 its like a fucking gigantic luggage to carry. Lol
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    mouse<tablet<cintiq
    do it!!!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Jeez, I didn't come into this thread even considering buying/trying out a Cintiq but you guys are really selling me on it. Maybe I'll give my friend's 21ux a try. I know he doesn't use it much due to the heat and a few other things.:)
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    thanks for all the advice everyone, great to hear the annoying shortfalls but its also very reassuring to hear from some of my favourite artists on how life isnt worth living without it haha.

I wish I could try one out but I honestly have no idea where I could do that in the UK. I used my friends (Mr Oakley) HP tablet PC and having your hand in the way took a bit to get used to but I did like it. I guess see how much money I make in the next month or two and take the plunge :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Tried it (for a few months) and wasn't too big of a fan, would rather keep those 2 devices separate.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    crazyfool wrote: »
    thanks for all the advice everyone, great to hear the annoying shortfalls but its also very reassuring to hear from some of my favourite artists on how life isnt worth living without it haha.

I wish I could try one out but I honestly have no idea where I could do that in the UK. I used my friends (Mr Oakley) HP tablet PC and having your hand in the way took a bit to get used to but I did like it. I guess see how much money I make in the next month or two and take the plunge :)
    search for a reseller in the uk and give them a call, I am sure they would not mind giving you a demonstration, trying it out in the store
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    I love my 21ux. Wasnt happy with the stand it came with and bought a ergotron arm after seeing this video. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJZlLF3chxo[/ame] Now reaching the keyboard for shortcuts and moving the screen on my desk is a cinch.
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    popeye9 - thank you for sharing that vid, the ergotron arm looks amazing. cant wait to try it out on the cintiq when it arrives
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    ^I don't think I could ever draw slouched like that (I always arch foreward)

I love my 20wsx (still find it odd they discontinued it in less than a year)
    But cintiqs aren't for everybody. Usually you can demo it at pro-camera stores.

You get use to the cintiq's quirks (except maybe the hotspot)
    I think it's a hit an miss with the scratch issues. I've used mine for 2 years now, and only has 2 scratches on it.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    For those of you wanting a portable cintiq, I picked up the HP Touchsmart tm2 tablet a few weeks ago. I had to buy a different stylus from the wacom store (the one it ships with is crap) but I'm really liking it so far. It has an LED monitor, so there isn't much heat coming off the screen, and the bottom stays pretty cool for a good amount of time. The one other drawback is that screen doesn't have a wide viewing angle, and it is very glossy, so color work can be a pain.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    That Ergotron arm looks promising but the mechanism seems rather loose, I wouldn't be able to use it having to hold it still with my left hand.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Got a cintiq couple months ago, probably the best purchased I've made towards hobby/proffesion. The only negative for me is how much it sucks having to go back to a tablet at work. :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Had the 15" for a while. Sold it and upgraded to the 21" for home use.

I have a tablet at work and it sucks compared to the Cintiq I have at home.

It is by far one of the best investments I have made.

So you would recommend cintiq 21" to those who have been working with cintiq 15..

for some reason, I realized that if I read 10 posts on "why one shouldnt buy cintiq" and come across one post on "why one should" my second thought of going for intuos just dies off for a while...<.<
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Nitewalkr yeah a 21" is a huge investment but SO WORTH IT imo... I don't do much concepting or stuff like that but I have from time to time dropped by the concept tag thread and just painted a little something something because its quite enjoyable to just doodle on it.

I like the 21" because i can use my drawing tools (triangles, rulers, etc) easier and the larger screen is nice in photoshop.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    They're out of stock. Been waiting for the magical email telling me they have mine in...
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    you should get one, then tell me your address, then leave you doors unlocked. ok?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nitewalkr yeah a 21" is a huge investment but SO WORTH IT imo... I don't do much concepting or stuff like that but I have from time to time dropped by the concept tag thread and just painted a little something something because its quite enjoyable to just doodle on it.

I like the 21" because i can use my drawing tools (triangles, rulers, etc) easier and the larger screen is nice in photoshop.

Actually it is 21" and 12" is what I am wondering between...right now I have 15" which is doing the job but than again even that is too big for my work space.

According to Zbrush central, 12" works good with Zbrush also.

So if you can give any good reviews on 12" that'd be appreciated also.

If not...than I guess I'll have to stick with 21" :( which will be a huge investment for me indeed...but it may also be unjust for my limited work space.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I had the old 21x Cintiq and loved it, sold it recently to make room for the new model which I'm still yet to do. Those things are very addictive, as they should be. Nothing is sadder than a dusty Cintiq begging for love.