Home Technical Talk

3d ripper dx

hey guys iv been playing with 3d ripper dx lately and had some great results but i know its only for use with games using open GL and dx 9 to 10.
is there a way i could do the same thing for games i would run in a psx or other format emulator?

im wanting to have a look at models from some ds titles and old ps1 games maybe [s2 is i can find an emulator.

any one know of any working ps2 emulators or how i would go about doing that with out having to go into crazy reverse engineering?

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Find an emulator that renders using DX 9 and your away. for the PS2 i dont think your going to get good rips. so far as i remember the PS2 stores textures strangely in
    memory. directly ripping them will yield odd colourations.

Any emulator rendering 3D is going to be using either DX or openGL there is no way they'd use a custom software renderer, itd be too slow. that said im pretty sure 3D Ripper is directX exclusive.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am also very curious to see some PSOne/N64/DS models. Obviously not to use them, but just to see the models/textures as a reference, plus level design, see how they construct low poly levels.

The reason being that my engine has very similar performance to those machines, but with more RAM, it would be VERY useful to see how they construct levels with those polycounts.

However, I downloaded 3D ripper DX, and tried it with a couple of PSOne and N64 emulators, and it simply didn't work. It just generated an empty OBJ file and something else.
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what im finding the problem is with most old game is that they use pe rendered background with just a few 3d elements in shot.
    there is a mode that you can run 3d ripper in the captures ur old desktop instead of just the window you open your game in.
    that might work?
    yet atm i dnt have access to any emulator coz im on holidays.....

could you have a go and let me know?
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Ripping from PS1/2 emulators won't work properly, as it emulates the 3D and you'll most likely get a flat planes that resemble what you have captured.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    You could get on PCSX2 (it's the only working PS2 emulator) forums and ask its developers if it would be possible to rip the assets out. Their plugins are OpenGL/DX based, so perhaps you could get out something out of it. Just make sure to reassure them that you're doing it solely because you want to gain some knowledge; they're very careful with anything that might be considered illegal (can't blame them).

Also, I think there might be some plugin for ePSX'e that allows you to rip the assets; I'm sure that someone must have thought of it before.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did anyone try to rip NDS assets?
    It's fairly well emulated and it will be really insightful to look at some of that stuff
    (I'm especially curious about environments, will probably try it myself over the weekend)
    Ripping from PS1/2 emulators won't work properly, as it emulates the 3D and you'll most likely get a flat planes that resemble what you have captured.

I tried ripping scenes from a few ps2 titles (ffx, tekken tag, a few others) - models came out really distorted, and no textures were preserved at all

I blamed it on obj exporting plugin for 3dripper though, some people had complaints about it too.
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats y you need to run the plug in importer for 3ds max. but you cant just go in and have a look at the textures, it saves it out as one seperate file with it all gathered into one, same with the game shaders but alot of the time max will n ot like the shaders...