Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Horned Demon

Well, I have learned as much as I could from this project, let's hope I do better next time!

Here are the final results:

Model:
Demon008.jpg

Demon013.jpg

Demon011.jpg

Texture maps:
Demon009.jpg

Rig:
Demon012.jpg

Animation:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgt_fv4EKCA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTa-qCn190k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTa-qCn190k[/ame]

Original post follows:

Hi everyone!

Time for a new round of practice.

My goal is to remake the Horned Demon from the Heroes of Might and Magic series.

HOMM5_PC_3Drender_demon_01.jpg

Here's my basic mock-up for modelling the beast.

ModelRef.jpg

From there I got this basic and butt-ugly model I in Max. I got it into Zbrush to make the basic shapes and reimported it to max to detail. I find it's much easier to work in this manner than being really precise with the basemesh early on.

DemonStart.jpg

The result of importing it back in max is this one:
Untitled-1.jpg

After a bit of work, I got this basemesh ready:

Demon004.jpg

Here's the result of the first Zbrush pass:

Demon_Sculpt001.jpg

Demon_Sculpt002.jpg

Demon_Sculpt003.jpg

Demon_Sculpt004.jpg

Demon_Sculpt005.jpg

Now, unless someone points out a major flaw with my musculature block-out, I'll proceed to detailing it and then optmizing my base model. I'm going for about 2.5K ~ 3K triangles with this one, and I may make a sword or axe just for the coolness factor.

Comments and criticizm are always welcome. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I think you should really take a look at the muscle structure, keep messing around with look at references, cuz his bicep looks mutated.
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I have take a second look at my references. I hope it's a bit better now.

Demon_Sculpt009.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt008.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt007.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt006.jpg

I have also started to work on the Low-poly version. I was going for 2.5-3K but I ended up at 3.5K. I haven't really worked on his hands yet, so that may save up a lot of tris. I'm going to have two alpha-planes behind the modeled teeth as well.

DemonLopoly003.jpg
    DemonLopoly002.jpg
    DemonLopoly001.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    uh... wtf is going on at his crotch?
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    You need to work more on the muscles, especially the arms at the elbows.

The way you have the muscle structure now, they don't connect properly to bones to allow movement. It looks like it's clay placed on top of arms. The definition stops right at the elbow joint. In reality, muscles that start on the other side of the joint reach across the joint and attach to bones there. This gets especially apparent as the muscles get bigger.

Watch the hooves. Most hooves aren't just stuff growing straight down from the end of the legs. The back of the hoof tends to be shorter than the front on most hoofed animals. Think of it more like a giant, thick toenail rather than an separate part of the animal.

The last joint, basically its ankle, should be bulked up a bit more towards the back, especially if you have a reverse biped like this.
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He got a six pack crotch lol
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was expecting from polycount!
    Vertrucio wrote: »
    You need to work more on the muscles, especially the arms at the elbows.

Thanks very much. That makes a lot of sense and I can clearly see what you mean.
    Watch the hooves. Most hooves aren't just stuff growing straight down from the end of the legs. The back of the hoof tends to be shorter than the front on most hoofed animals. Think of it more like a giant, thick toenail rather than an separate part of the animal.

Yeah I really didn't check any references for that and just went with what seemed logical. Will fix!

The last joint, basically its ankle, should be bulked up a bit more towards the back, especially if you have a reverse biped like this.

I'll bulk it up a bit more, but this guy uses his arms to support the weight of his chest and shoulders, that's why he's got tiny bramble legs compared to his torso.

And his crotch is weird. He's not a lust demon so he's got muscles instead of genitals! (I'll review that as well lol)
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the update so far. I've rethinked the way his legs and muscles work as well as fixing his genitals (or lack of).

I'm not going to detail his body just yet. But I really wanted to get some detail on his face to see what I would go for. What do you guys think? Is his anatomy better? Improvements anywhere?

Demon_Sculpt011.jpg

Demon_Sculpt012.jpg

Demon_Sculpt014.jpg

Demon_Sculpt013.jpg

Demon_Sculpt010.jpg
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, I feel that you have not established the skeletal structure of your character. There doesn't seem to be a clear definition of the major masses, ie pelvis, rib cage and scapula/clavicle.
    4776806242_870f3408a1_b.jpg
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed you really need to establish the basic shape and contours of the muscle groups before jumping in with the detailing, google some bodybuilder images for some really defined big musculature. Understanding anatomy takes a lot of time and study - good start tho keep it up :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Right, as already pointed out, you have a lot of anatomy issues that need to be resolved.
    Also, you are making some mistakes new sculptors often make. Basically everything looks really bloby at this point because you have not properly sharpened up your details one pass at a time.

What you need to do is step down some subdivisions, and try to get things as crisp and defined as possible, then move up and do the same, and so fourth. You will see at the end things will be very sharp, instead of bloby. Simply taking a pinch brush, or small standard brush and running it against some edges, then smoothing with a small brush will make a world of difference. But get that anatomy right first!

Good luck man!
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! This is insanely fun, insanely difficult and you guys are insanely helpful!

I'll work on those more on my lower subdivs. Thanks.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant tell if he is being sarcastic or not. Somebody help me get it
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant tell if he is being sarcastic or not. Somebody help me get it

No I'm really grateful for the help. And what I meant is that I am having a lot of fun studying anatomy for this project. The whole Max -> Zb pipeline is great!

Hope that clarifies :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    The_Kozmonaut: I cant tell if he is being sarcastic or not. Somebody help me get it

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing. This guy is either being a dick or he's generally grateful. lol. Seems like he is not being sarcastic and is indeed happy for the help.

Arhurt: Sorry, don't mean to Hijack your thread. Your doing great man, take your time with the next zbrush pass. Look up reference online of sculpts that others have done and compare there to yours. Try to get things really crisp like you see so many great artist accomplish.

You can do it, go go go!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't know if others have mentioned this, but get the big forms (muscles) out of the way in the first or second sub division, its really really hard to get those forms right when your at 200k+ polys. Even experts can attest to this.

from feilpefrango here on pc:

animated.gif?
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it's getting repetitive, but I have been working more on the Demon. What do you guys think?

Demon_Sculpt018.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt017.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt016.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt015.jpg
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small bump and update. Going to work on this the whole weekend. It's the first time I sculpt a full model like this, so I really appreciate your feedback.

Demon_Sculpt021.jpg
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    good to see you are trying something like this, it isn't easy to get muscles to look right and requires a lot of practice/research and again practice.

try not to focus on all those individual muscles just yet but try to get the overall blocks of form to read right.

i did a quick overpaint for you, hope it helps

25reflw.jpg
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good to see you are trying something like this, it isn't easy to get muscles to look right and requires a lot of practice/research and again practice.

try not to focus on all those individual muscles just yet but try to get the overall blocks of form to read right.

i did a quick overpaint for you, hope it helps

It surely does! Thanks a lot!

I'm getting to the point where I need to call it ready and move on to the next stages. I want to get this done by Monday so I can present i, and your help has been more than I could ask for.

I have this book by my desk and I'm trying to read the references in there, but somehow I'm not able to translate it into the model straight from the book. Your paintover was really helpful. Hopefully I'll have an easier time on the next one!

Update:

Demon_Sculpt022.jpg

Demon_Sculpt023.jpg

Demon_Sculpt024.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    His ass is really flat from the bottom, for a demon...

Overall, Awsome work, Thanks for sharing, keep it up :)
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying it!

I'll take a break to have lunch now, and will be back to keep on going. Unfortunately, if I'm going to make it by Monday I have to start finishing it up now. I still have to work on the lowpoly, bake the maps and work on the texture and shaders to call it done.

Demon_Sculpt025.jpg

Demon_Sculpt026.jpg

Demon_Sculpt027.jpg

Demon_Sculpt028.jpg

Demon_Sculpt029.jpg

I'm aiming at a finish for his muscles and skin a mix of these references: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=060245
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=059904

As for his hands, The first guy on this one inspired me: (still a TON to do though)
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=088780
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just need to detail the hand and inside the mouth and I can start working on the Horns and other parts.

Demon_Sculpt033.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt032.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt031.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt030.jpg
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    You still haven't fixed the lowest joint problem.

Take a look at Ravenslayer's paint over. He painted the proper shape of the bone & joint for a reverse biped like that. There's a thick heavy overhang from the bottom segment back up over the top, this provides connecting points for muscles and is basically the heel of the foot.

Also, it's a cop out to say that it's going to only use its arms for support because eventually, it's going to have to place its full weight on its legs at some point to do something. The way you have the joint now it would buckle the moment he did so.

Just look at your model, heck, take a screenshot and mirror it in photoshop and just look at your model. Now imagine it taking a swing at you with those arms. Just the act of swinging or lunging at you means putting all his weight on a single leg, let alone both. That joint couldn't handle it.
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You still haven't fixed the lowest joint problem.

I was so worried with his back and arms that I did not notice that. I see what you mean now, the extended bone on his lower leg. I feel stupid now.

Structure.jpg

Well, that's another mistake I won't make again!

I'll fix that right away. Thanks for pointing it out ;)

Can I assume that the rest is at least acceptable? :P
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I can't tell if his upper arm is his shoulder or his bicep. Seriously dude listen to the people above me and make the proper changes at a lower subdivision level and THEN refine to the details that you're working on.
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm listening to every advice, and even though I keep repeating some mistakes, It's not like I'm not learning.

It would be nice for you to listen to me as well. I have to finish this model by monday. That gives me roughly 20 hours starting now to finish the hipoly, make the lowpoly, unwrap, bake, texture, fix bugs, pose and present.

Unfortunately some of the lessons and practices will have to be carried over to the next model. Hopefully then I'll have more time and maybe be able to get it right.

I'm starting work again now. Thanks for the help and advice you guys have been giving, and I'm sorry to be unable to execute them with skill.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    It's a shame you have to rush this one but i'm sure you'll apply the things you have learned on your next model.
    Do try to take your time on the next one

this project will probably be good for you in terms of trying to find a workflow so i can only encourage you in trying to finish it :)
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully it's not too bad, but I like the changes:

Demon_Sculpt036.jpg

Demon_Sculpt038.jpg

Demon_Sculpt038.jpg

Demon_Sculpt040.jpg

Demon_Sculpt041.jpg

I'm not happy with his hands, but I must detail the horns and spikes and have it ready to work on the lowpoly soon.

Thanks again for the help guys. I'll come back shortly.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no 3D artist but even tho you think you've finished on the muscles and form, you really haven't :)
    Take time on this piece...
    I mean, you've got viens and stuff....don't get carried away.
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Taylor, I know it's not perfect, but I really need to start working on the Low-Poly now. I must finish this model by tomorrow =/

Demon_Sculpt046.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt045.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt044.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt043.jpg
    Demon_Sculpt042.jpg
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, at least I tried. But I ran into some serious problems when trying to bake my maps =/

Here's the low-poly at 4.8K

Demon_Sculpt053.jpg

Demon_Sculpt052.jpg

Here's the result of the quick bake test I made in xNormal after a quick UV layout. All buggy but it was just a test, I still needed to work some more on the UVs. After seeing this, I was quite happy, just a few bugs to fix and I would be ready to move on.

Demon_Sculpt050.jpg

I went back in MAX to optimize my UVs, and when I tried to bake back in XNormal something went wrong. I tried using an exported cage, messing up with every possible setting, but couldn't find a solution.

Here's a sample of what comes out of XNormal:

Demon_Sculpt051.jpg

FailBake.jpg

I'm too tired to keep at this. I was hoping to at least have a Normal map by tomorrow, but that won't be the case.

Anyone have any idea? I can't import my Hipoly in max, maybe I should try to project it with Zbrush, never done it before though...
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not sure why you didn't just use Zbrush to make the normal map to begin with. You sculpted it in Zbrush and it takes 2 seconds.

Just go to the lowest subdivision level and click on Normal Maps in the Tool menu (should be on the right by default) then click create normal map. Press Clone NM to make a copy of it. Then just export the texture (you'll probably have to flip it vertically first).
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!

Workflow problem on my part. When I prepared the low poly model, it broke the mesh so I couldn't import it back in ZB. The model I used to sculpt was way over 9000 triangles so I couldn't possibly use it as a low poly and ended up making one from another version of the model. I don't know how to use the retopology tool in ZB and I thought XNormal would be the easier way to do it. I also want to use XNormal to bake the AO because it's faster.

Now, I was just about to turn off the PC when I realized. I had moved the low poly to the side before exorting the .obj from max. Since it does not take the pivot from the object, but it's position to the world origin, the meshes where not aligned in Xnormal.

Demon_Sculpt054.jpg

Oh such a stupid mistake... I'm gonna pull an all nighter to finish this now...
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phew... at least I had time to slap some color on him. I'll work on getting a better normal projection and proper textures on him this week, but for now. I must sleep.

Demon_Sculpt056.jpg

Demon_Sculpt059.jpg

Demon_Sculpt058.jpg

Demon_Sculpt057.jpg

Demon_Sculpt055.jpg
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, before leaving to work this morning I spent another hour at it. It's down to 4400 triangles with a more optmized mesh and better UV layout.

Demon_Lopoly001.jpg

I'll work on the little projection issues I'm having and texture it properly during this week.

Demon_Lopoly003.jpg

Demon_Lopoly002.jpg

Demon_Diffuse.jpg

Demon_normals.jpg
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I'm coming back to finish his texture maps properly.

Here's the current progress:

Here is the current progress:

Demon006.jpg

Demon004-1.jpg

Demon003-1.jpg

Demon005.jpg
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I have learned as much as I could from this project, let's hope I do better next time!

Here are the final results:

Model:
    Demon008.jpg

Demon013.jpg

Demon011.jpg

Texture maps:
    Demon009.jpg

Rig:
    Demon012.jpg

Animation:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgt_fv4EKCA[/ame]

I might do a run/walk cycle later on.