Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post one nice photo you've taken recently

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Ta! That one has been sitting in my Quick Collection for a wee while. I'm really enjoying black and white at the minute.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yeah man :D

Black and white is really enjoyable, it reads well.
    Even if i dont end up using it, i always check how it shows in black and white,

What type of cam/lenses do you use?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Nikon D60, with a 50/50 split between the 18-55mm stock lens and a 50mm f/1.8D I bought about a year ago.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    couple more from my canadia trip

lake, dammed up by beavers, in algonquin park. Beavers are ace.
    4716900030_1a9b7aea5b_o.jpg

rapids on the niagara river with a bit of the old photomatix
    4714187074_d252071f7d_o.jpg

and ... all together now .... awwwwwwww. WULLUF!

4718154144_30f032743a_b.jpg

more going up on flickr when i have time to go through them, filled two 8gb cards

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmroberts/
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    more yellowstone
    4731707869_f8240a8dac_b.jpg
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    These are so great, love the wolf one <3
    Rens bug pictures and Pauls city captures are awesome too.
    Can't wait till I get back home, going to find some nice places to snap some shots :)
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    A little something from my recent trip through time that I thought Id share with you :3

mm06.jpgmm04.jpgmm07.jpg
  • JordanW
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hell yeah great pics \o/

Jordan, im planning on going to france in a month or two, Gavarnie area,
    visit some mountains and shoot some nature, get some equipment :D

I tried some more bugs, but fuck me i need some quality, im sick and tired of poor shots, even if it will cost me 1k for a lens, i dont feel like picking up a camera and getting shit resolds each time.

Too bad he was camping in this T split, could not get a good angle on him.
    beetle.jpg

Butterfly garden opened, so i might revisit that to get some shots, i managed to asdf up my whole shoot.

b01.jpg

b02.jpg

b03.jpg

b08.jpg
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what method are you using now? reversed lens? Maybe try some kenko extension tubes, that's what I use in combination with my 70-300.
  • Sisqo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HDR photo of Albion falls in Hamilton taken with my Canon G9 right before it decided it didnt want to turn on anymore.
    albionfalls-small.jpg

One more of hamilton but this one is a little covered in noise.
    hamilton2-small.jpg
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've a couple purchase opportunities in my area. I can get a Canon 20D with stock lens kit for $330 or a 350D with stock lens with an extra battery and 10GBs worth of CF cards for $300. Actually there are a couple other 350Ds with stock lenses available all hovering between $280-300.
    They seem pretty comparable to me, but it looks like the 20D has a larger sensor at 22.5x15 vs 22.2x14.8? Is that going to make much of a difference?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    erik! wrote: »
    I've a couple purchase opportunities in my area. I can get a Canon 20D with stock lens kit for $330 or a 350D with stock lens with an extra battery and 10GBs worth of CF cards for $300. Actually there are a couple other 350Ds with stock lenses available all hovering between $280-300.
    They seem pretty comparable to me, but it looks like the 20D has a larger sensor at 22.5x15 vs 22.2x14.8? Is that going to make much of a difference?

Get the 20D. http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/(appareil1)/281%7C0/(appareil2)/183%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon

The images will have a slight edge in quality, and the body itself is more durable and larger/easier to handel. Plus the 20D has a back wheel for controlling aperture, whereas the XXXd line has only one wheel on the front and you have to use a button modifier to control aperture instead of having a dedicated wheel. The 20D is rated for more shutter actuations before breaking than the 350 as well.

4696309173_affbba392d_b.jpg
  • Rens
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    LOL, that's an awesome shot. He looks like he's just chillin'. Usually, they a captured as they are sucking your blood.
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get the 20D. http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/(appareil1)/281%7C0/(appareil2)/183%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon

The images will have a slight edge in quality, and the body itself is more durable and larger/easier to handel. Plus the 20D has a back wheel for controlling aperture, whereas the XXXd line has only one wheel on the front and you have to use a button modifier to control aperture instead of having a dedicated wheel. The 20D is rated for more shutter actuations before breaking than the 350 as well.

I went with the 350D cause i got a decent deal(2 batteries, 4gb card, kit lens, and remote shutter for about $300) on it, and the 20d's i was watching were going out of my price range($300 was my absolute max) on ebay(was being impatient). I sort of regret it now for the reasons above, image quality between the two its really pretty negligible, however ergonomics and usability, along with the much longer shutter rating make me long for a 20D. The 350D is a little cramped and uncomfortable to hold, just a littttle too small, also i think the 20D has a bigger view finder? I find the 350D's viewfinder to be sort of terrible. At the time the only thing i was factoring in was image quality and price, and there didn't seem to be much of a difference, however i feel knowing what i know now, the extra $50 would have been worth it.

Also, another thing to consider is getting a body that can do video, which i think neither the 20D or 350D can do.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    IMG_1567.jpg

Randomly ended up at a dudes blacklight party. Really wish i had a tripod so the shots wouldnt be so blurry or noisy. The s90 may be a good compact but you can only push her so far.

IMG_1603.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I've got a second hand 350d from a friend of mine (User: Buddy), really great deal with few batteries, cards, pack, stock 18-55mm, etc.

Anyway, still pretty new to this photography thingie, but aside from Env. Art, which is my job and my hobby, I believe I definitely found my new hobby!

Here's the link to my set
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/helder_pinto/sets/

Posting a few photos here directly:

4743965082_e599ff0577_b.jpg

4743945808_f98c9bed0d_b.jpg

4739612083_8e78e04b53_b.jpg

4742885957_3f75c75b2d_b.jpg

4742846651_bd0fe17c3b_b.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I went with the 350D cause i got a decent deal(2 batteries, 4gb card, kit lens, and remote shutter for about $300) on it, and the 20d's i was watching were going out of my price range($300 was my absolute max) on ebay(was being impatient). I sort of regret it now for the reasons above, image quality between the two its really pretty negligible, however ergonomics and usability, along with the much longer shutter rating make me long for a 20D. The 350D is a little cramped and uncomfortable to hold, just a littttle too small, also i think the 20D has a bigger view finder? I find the 350D's viewfinder to be sort of terrible. At the time the only thing i was factoring in was image quality and price, and there didn't seem to be much of a difference, however i feel knowing what i know now, the extra $50 would have been worth it.

Also, another thing to consider is getting a body that can do video, which i think neither the 20D or 350D can do.

You won't get a dslr that does video for under 400 dollars, the 550 is the cheapest one that does it in the canon line I believe.

You reminded me of another point, the XXXD line uses pentamirrors to show the viewfinder, whereas the XXD line and above use pentaprisms. This results in a larger and brighter viewfinder, another plus for the 20D
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KROPAT_BEACH_PANO_mid.jpg

Not my best stitch by a long shot. meh.

If anybody wants the absurdly huge original version for backgrounds or whatever, you can get it here: http://nicholaikropat.com/NIXPIX/KROPAT_BEACH_PANO_lg.jpg
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Muzz - I REALLY like the that first shot with the guy that appears to be on fire--with blue flame. VERY cool effect!

Toronto had one of its first awesome torrential storms about a week or two ago now, and I was out on my porch with my camera. Here's the most 'stormy' looking of the bunch I took:
    DSC01268.JPG
    With the crazy heat wave we've been having here, I'm expecting a very epic storm to come (the predictions are for Friday :D). Should be tons of thunder and lighting. Woohoo!!!
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Should I get a Canon 40D over a 20D, and is the 200 Euro price difference worth it?
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I like it.. what is it? I can hardly even get a sense of scale from that shot
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    i know, at first i thought it was a huge areal shot, then i think its just a rock or something with some weird white crap on it?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's rock with bacteria in a geyser basin, that shot is only covering about 5-10 ft across to give you a sense of scale

4795576884_c5b48c5fec_o.jpg
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    4801178118_9a3db1bf4c_b.jpg
    not really a recent photo, but I finally got around to put the set online, because of this thread
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    anyone for pork chops?

4801626900_90f6b50f34_o.jpg
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    This is a photo from my parents summerhouse. My father has planted some interesting plants on the roof, and when I saw it I thought it kinda looked like a landscape from an alien planet. :) Might try making an scene with these as inspiration. (did a slight manipulation to remove some trees tops in the background.)
    4804848293_33e5537e0c_b.jpg
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
  • JordanW
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Just one more for now...

4812368148_8c9c97bdf8_b.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Nothing special really, just some nice combination of colors.

4802119278_e481c2cfe1_b.jpg
  • DaBeast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaBeast polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, lovely photo's!

I am about to buy a semi-pro camera for photographing textures and also references, any recommendations (as i have absolutely no idea what to look for etc)? Max ~250$ .
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaBeast: For $250-300 you can get either a Canon EOS 20D, or a Digital Rebel XT(350D). The 20d will cost a bit more, but if you're patient you can get a good deal for one on ebay. Usually you can even find them with the 18-55mm kit lens, but if not, you can pick up a variety of cheap lenses to go with it from ebay as well.

You can find a 28-80mm or 35-80mm kit lens(sometimes bundled with a EOS film camera, but they will work fine on digital) for around $20-60

You can find the 18-55mm EF-S kit for $30-60 or so

You can buy a 50mm 1.8 for $95 new, they dont sell for a whole lot less used, so its best to just get a new one. This is what i would recommend if you buy a body without a lens, as the 50mm is basically the sharpest lens Canon makes, sure it isn't as versatile as a zoom, but it is a very very good lens.

Last christmas i got a 350D + 18-55 + 2 Batterires + Remote shutter, shipped for about $300, and the promptly picked up the 50mm as well. They (both the 20D and 350D) should even be a little cheaper now, especially if you're patient(i really wasnt).

Oh, and if it means getting a real SLR over a "high-end" point and shoot, or a "SLR-LIKE" point and shoot camera, SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY. You'll kick yourself buying a "really nice" point and shoot for $250, only to realize its utter crap compared to a nice used SLR, for just a little more.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You won't get a dslr that does video for under 400 dollars, the 550 is the cheapest one that does it in the canon line I believe.

You reminded me of another point, the XXXD line uses pentamirrors to show the viewfinder, whereas the XXD line and above use pentaprisms. This results in a larger and brighter viewfinder, another plus for the 20D

Yeah i've swaped out my focus screen for a split image screen, and would REALLY REALLY like a larger and brighter viewfinder. I do a lot of messing about with older manual focus lenses and its.... Just hard as hell to use them! I've got a bunch of older film bodies laying around(that i bought for the lenses) and i get so jealous of the nice bright, fullframe finders on older cameras designed for MF lenses.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey EQ, was it difficult to swap the focus screen? I got a bunch of old manual lenses from my dad and it's a bit of a mess to focus. Some M42-EOS adapters have the chip so the camera can confirm focus, but unfortunately I don't have that one.

Also, one of the lenses has what seems to be a Nikon bayonet?

lenses2.jpg

Anyone knows for sure what kind of adapter I need? The lever thing on the left is the shutter release.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vcool: swapping it is easy, the instructions were a little tricky the first time, but i've since swapped them back and forth(if i want someone else to use the camera i'll throw the AF focus screen back in, otherwise people tend to get confused with the split prism). I got a cheap one on ebay, let me see if i can find it. People say the katzeye screens are brighter, but they're like 4x as expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Single-180-Split-Image-Focus-Screen-fr-Canon-350D-400D-/320464197019?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a9d27959b#ht_1331wt_1005

I think that is the one, i actually got the 45* split and i sort of regret it, its weird, i think the vertical(90* ?) split would be better. I ordered one from some seller in china too, i think it arrived in about 14 days, not bad, i've bought a couple cheap things like this(some m42 adapters etc too) from china without issue. You can usually spend a few more dollars and get a US seller however.

As far as the Nikon goes, Nikon has kept the same mount for a very long time, so there really is only one adapter. You just need the nikon-> ef adapter. I have two, one cheap generic one from ebay that was about $12 or so, and one "fotodiox" from amazon that i hoped would be a little better. Both sort of suck, they say the provide infinity focus but it seems to be just off, and they both are sort of hard to remove from the lens(not hard enough that i wouldn't suggest using them, but its annoying).

So you can definately use these, but if you plan on doing any landscapes or anything that requires infinity, they're a bit hard to use, as they seem to focus a little past infinity. Heres a list of lenses that i've tried(just to show it wasn't one off lense i have)

Nikkor Micro 55mm 2.8 AI
    Nikkor Micro 55mm 3.5 NON-AI
    Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4 NON-AI
    Nikkor 50mm 1.4 NON-AI
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AI
    Nikkor-Q 135mm 3.5 NON-AI

I've even tried a few Nikon AF lenses(a sigma and a quantaray) and they had the same infinity problem. Fotodiox has a "Pro" version of the converter, for about $80 i think and maybe that one is better, dunno, at that point it would be better to sell the lenses and just invest in a nice EF lens =)

Adaptors i have had great success with:
    M42
    Olympus OM
    Pentax K, using pentax K lenses and a KPR lens(richo)

I also got a FD converter with cheap glass in it, that sucks, but i expected it to suck so, oh well!

[Edit] Oh as far as the "chiped" focus confirm adaptors, well i read a story where someone got a bad one and it fried his camera, so i'm a little leary. MF is hard tho. =)

[Edit2] Also, that is a Nikon NON-AI lens, or PRE-AI, which only really matters if you plan on using it with a nikon body, i dont think it even fits on the newer AF Film/Digital bodies.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info EQ, that's some great stuff. :)

I was a bit worried about the chinese stuff, but it looks like it's safe.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    katzeye are a crazy expensive but their optibrite feature is really worth it for those with cropped camera's (they tend to have really tiny viewfinders)

other than that, I've found the screens from http://www.focusingscreen.com/ to be good (tested on my D700). Just try to avoid the FSB/FSL/FSX standard matte screens as they are inferior compared to the canon/nikon cut screens.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity wrote: »
    katzeye are a crazy expensive but their optibrite feature is really worth it for those with cropped camera's (they tend to have really tiny viewfinders)

other than that, I've found the screens from http://www.focusingscreen.com/ to be good (tested on my D700). Just try to avoid the FSB/FSL/FSX standard matte screens as they are inferior compared to the canon/nikon cut screens.

An average price of 80 dollars :s
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's the price you pay for quality :) If money's tight then I guess the ebay ones are ok.
  • DaBeast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaBeast polycounter lvl 8
    Hey EarthQuake, thanks for your reply.

Well, a friend of me who is a photographer, recommended the D40x (wich is slower then the D40, but has a higher resolusion, thus better for texture photographing). Is that any good? I also have to note that i will mostly use this camera for refference photographing, and texture photographing. So now i don't know wich once to buy, lol .
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both are not what you might call speed demons (2.5vs3fps)

For textures and references I find 6mp to be plenty enough, although 10mpx does allow you some leeway in cropping. However, the older D40 has a slightly better ISO performance. If you can get either one for roughly the same price, then the D40x might be better.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaBeast wrote: »
    Hey EarthQuake, thanks for your reply.

Well, a friend of me who is a photographer, recommended the D40x (wich is slower then the D40, but has a higher resolusion, thus better for texture photographing). Is that any good? I also have to note that i will mostly use this camera for refference photographing, and texture photographing. So now i don't know wich once to buy, lol .

A D40x would probably be fine. One thing to keep in mind about resolution, is more is not always better. A good expamle is the Canon 20D(someone asked about this earlier) with the 40D and 50D, they pack more, smaller pixels into the sensor to get more megapixels, when they do this, its going to give you more noise and thus worse image quality. So an argument can be made that on a crop body(anything but the $1000++ full frame Canon/Nikon bodies) around 8MP is ideal, anything over that and you start to get more noise, which decreases you "actual" resolution.... I may be making a bigger deal about this than needed, but its sort of a technical thing that many people overlook.

A D40x at 10 MP shouldn't suffer from this, but when you get to the 14MP + cameras with crop sensors, its can become an issue.

Next is sharpness, if you want to take pictures for photo reference, what is much more important than how many megapixels it has is the sharpness of your lens. If you have a cheap kit zoom lens, which tend to be a bit blurry, you're limited to the resolution of the lens, not the camera. So the best thing you can do here is to buy prime lenses (a 50mm 1.8 as i said before is a VERY sharp lens).

If you're going to stop down to f8-16 or so, sharpness of your lens becomes less of an issue, but then you're going to want to carry around a tripod as well. You want something that has great sharpness in the "usefull" range of f3.5-5.6 where you can generally shoot with available light outside and handhold. And the kit lenses tend to be pretty bad at those ranges.

So in reality, say you have a 10mp camera with the stock 18-55mm kit lens.
    And i have a 8mp camera with a 50mm 1.8 prime lense.

Guess who will have more "real" resolution in their pictures? =)

Now, your 10mp camera with kit lens may take images that are "sharp enough" tho, sharpness can get very subjective....

Also, make sure you're shooting in RAW if you want the most sharpness and detail out of your images. Shooting in JPEG does 2 things:
    1. Detail/Sharpness loss from jpeg compression, even at highest quality
    2. Irreversible "noise reduction" is applied to your image, this is likely something you will want control over in photoshop instead of leaving to the camera to decide. The noise levels on my canon 350D are generally very acceptable, even at ISO 1600 i dont really do any noise reduction, as it generally just has that "film grain" effect that can look nice, as apposed to a super-noisey point and shoot camera that really needs the NR.
    3. You get some more breathing room with your exposure as well, you can bump up or down a stop(EV +1 or -1) without losing any detail if you've over/underexposed. With Jpeg if you tried to bump your photo up a stop in post, you will lose a lot of the detail in the shadows that RAW retains.

One thing i would caution against with the cheaper Nikon bodies, they lack the focus pin that some lenses require, so getting a cheap nikon body means less lenses you can use, whereas with a cheap canon body, you can use the entire line of EF lenses.... Again, may not be an issue to you.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    37573_421283659832_777784832_4580772_1331059_n.jpg
    last night is Australia (10th july)

28479_412793529832_777784832_4357507_4427166_n.jpg
    picking up some pretty cute chicks

28369_403954069832_777784832_4119529_1963035_n.jpg

Tiger, Tiger cafe, Perth.