Home Technical Talk

Modelling for Unity?

This is my first post so be gentle. :poly124:

I'm definably glad I found this place. Finally some people that know what they are doing. I'm really impressed with the UnityPro tools you're working on Commander Keen. :thumbup:

I'm working on a jungle terrain for Unity. I was going crazy with discussions on the Unity forums and DAZ 3D forums with people about which 3D modeling tool is better for making custom terrain assets and so forth.

Does anyone have any suggestions to making a jungle terrain in Unity easier?

Thanks!

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I have made a base mesh in sculptris, rendered out a height map in my 3D program of choice, and then used the terrain features in unity. It produces decent results. You could use zbrush/mudbox instead of scupltris.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    vue is pretty gnarley for pumping out nice realistic heightmaps. A mate of mine was using it with max in work a while back, that wasnt with unity though. might be worth a 5 minute google :)
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    World Machine is good for erosion and weathering effects: http://www.world-machine.com/
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Unity terrain kinda sucks tbh. In this scene I used multiple layered meshes (modeled in max) as terrain, 1 material per mesh. This allows me to use any kind of shader features I want for the terrian. I created some editor tools for painting the material masks onto those meshes and for painting the foliage/detail objects (batched into cells with multiple levels of LoD).

Layering terrain objects is not very optimized though so if you only need like 2-3 texture blends on the terrain you could pack it all into 1 material and 1 mask texture.
  • Psimaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your replies! It gave me a lot to chew on. I knew about Vue, although World Machine is new to me. I'll have to check out it's features and give it a try. I really like the Sculptris tool, so again thanks for that tip! As for Unity terrain in general, I think it sucks if you compare it to Leadwerks for example. That goes for the water shaders too. I had to ask myself if I wanted cross-platform compatiblity and ease of use (Unity 3.0), or better graphics (Leadwerks). Aside from comparing to unobtainable engines like RAGE, I think Unity is a great engine for Indie developers looking for flexibility and ease of use.