Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - duoxan

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
duoxan polycounter lvl 17
looks like im having the same ideas as others, so i figured id better jump on here and throw down a spot. been talking with some friends and i want to do an engi building, possibly a jukebox dispenser since the engi seems to be a music lover. The Talented Mr. Engineer?
or possibly a horror pack for the soldier. think it came from beneath the sea and teenage werewolf hats. i think a hockey mask and a machete would be cool, but jason is from the 80's so i dont think it would work.
still thinking up ideas though, try to get something by the end of this week

LATEST UPDATE:
scrn10.jpg

Replies

• duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    quick grab before i go to work. hopefully work on it some more after i get home.
    scrn1.jpg
  • Xeramon
    It looks like a wonderfull idea!!! (Level 3 ftw)
  • Elbagast
    I like the idea, it's simple and effective.

It might be worth making the screen(?) at the top one size through all the levels since there's not really any obvious way of making it bigger. On the regular dispenser it's one of the parts that doesn't change.

Regardless I look forward to seeing how you develop this.
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    first things first
    THANK YOU FOR THE FEEDBACK
    seriously just you guys responding has me pumped
    yea im having issues with that screen. the idea is to have the tubes on the corners extend and connect, but then i have this blank space. i want the screen to be there, but im a bit lost on how to do it.
    im not sure if we are supposed to provide a function for said thing we make, but i was thinking about it possibly playing some tf2 music in game, and instead of healing it deals out mini crits possibly. still developing that too hahaha
    thought it would be cool to do a phonogram for the medic that charges his uber faster, but transforming a phonogram is something i dont think i could tackle
  • Master_v12
    maybe you could start with something smaller like a ghetto blaster and let that somehow be the base for the jukebox to develop. Or maybe go for like a Vinyl player>8 track player>Juke box? look up some 8 track player i think you will find good reference. And 8 tracks are from the 60s but I think you should be straight.

DOOM!
  • Khthon
    Wow, Master_v12 had a great idea. As it upgrades, it could turn into bigger music-making machines.

Ghetto blaster is kind of 80s-90s, not 50s-60s. What about something modeled after an old automobile radio? Some refs: http://www.tubesandtransistorsandmore.com/old-Borg-site/Philcar.gif - http://www.tubesandtransistorsandmore.com/old-Borg-site/802-c.jpg - http://www.radiodoctor.org/image-files/55fordmf8.jpg

That light on the dial could be the thing that stays in place during the upgrades.
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    update, im not dead yet

@mv12 - i dig what your saying, but i cant see a way to transfrom from one to the other, which is proving the hardest part for me

@khthon - the automobile radio is gold, thanks for sharing those with me. i decided i want to try and incorporate some pieces from radios and tvs, i want to add a few more details here and there as well.

this is stage three, i figured if i get the complicated last level done, i can just simplify from there and get my previous two stages. a friend said to try and change the silohuette a bit more. i like the ghetto blaster idea, and i think it would be funny to have more and more speakers pop out but that feels off from the 60's. i dont know how i feel about this yet, i dont want it to be a plain jukebox, but i dont want to go overboard so any feedback is appreciated!
    scrn2.jpg

also, i believe this is obligatory
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlAe77E3gxY[/ame]
  • Khthon
    Looking great! Keep it up!

Here's some antique inner TV mechanisms for a ref
    2regenrear2.jpg
  • Ikimono
    I love the meshes to death, my severe worry however:

I can see multiple engineers building more than one of these at different times just to greif teams with noise spam.

Noise Spam is already an incredibly bad problem in TF2. A very large chunk of players enjoy just the sound of the game, relying heavily on sound to alert them to things happening around them. Especially with the addition of the Dead(OP)Ringger.
  • EvilShadow777
    Ikimono wrote: »
    I love the meshes to death, my severe worry however:

I can see multiple engineers building more than one of these at different times just to greif teams with noise spam.

Noise Spam is already an incredibly bad problem in TF2. A very large chunk of players enjoy just the sound of the game, relying heavily on sound to alert them to things happening around them. Especially with the addition of the Dead(OP)Ringger.
    I'm going to just ignore the fact you called the Dead Ringer OP to avoid an off-topic argument here.

But yea, that's a possibility, but if this is implemented I'm sure Valve will design a function for it that isn't completely noise related, but rather give it some music that makes it relatively easy to detect, but not noise spam loud.

But <3 your jukebox concept!
  • Khthon
    It would be easy enough to fix Ikimono: just have a cool down on song plays and an area of effect where you can/can't hear them.
  • BANG!
    Great idea i like the design too,maybe keep the height of the dispenser as it actually is in the game, if its that big that dispenser could be used to block a door.
  • SixTwoSixFour
    This is excellent. I haven't seen any other dispenser replacements, and after seeing this, I can't help but wonder why- clearly, there's gold in them thar hills!

As far as noise spam, I wouldn't worry about the thing's effects just yet. You can make suggestions, but in the end, it's all up to Valve anyway. Just make models and textures you can be proud of... and you can definitely be proud of these.
  • Ikimono
    Khthon wrote: »
    It would be easy enough to fix Ikimono: just have a cool down on song plays and an area of effect where you can/can't hear them.

I can still see people going engineer just to build a music dispenser next to them so they cant hear uncloaking spies.

Any form of music gets old very quickly if put on a loop. Try listening to the portal radio's music for an hour and you'll see what i mean.
  • Khthon
    BANG!: Some Engys already block doors with dispensers. I assume he'll make the height so you can crouch-jump on top of/over it like all the other buildings. Also just thought of a cool idea: What if when a Spy saps the Jukebox the song skips like vinyl records scratching and switches to RED/BLU propaganda? "Why don't we all just give up pardner?" Obviously beyond the scope of the contest but just a funny thing to think of.
  • Ikimono
    another thing, add a lot more loops to the top of the dispenser, it's way too faceted.
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    here it is compared to the old dispenser, i dont think it will be too much of a problem height wise. i kinda feel its "boring" as the dispenser has so much more to look at, so im trying to come up with ideas to make it more "fun" to look at. any ideas are welcome.
    @khthon
    the radius idea is what i thought of too, but since i dont really have to worry about it im not going to
    scrn3.jpg
  • Khthon
    If you're going to have it dispense ammo/health you can add some draws with ammo/health stuff like in the original. That would add to it. Make a coin slot+vending slot like on vending machines/bubble gum machines.

Visually interesting, lots of potential in a jukebox combined with a vintage vending machine. You ARE allowed to incorporate small detail from existing Valve assets, saw in another thread, so you CAN use the ammo/health models available in the slots.

If not, a vintage vending machine aesthetic is still awesome for looks and parts.

Some refs-

CokeVendingMachine.gif
    -8871303710608101.jpg
    -8572205756644900.jpg
    old_vv_warehouse.jpg
    fruit-o-matic1.jpg
    vintage-cigarette-vending-machine1-225x300.jpg
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    update: im not dead yet, just have other things getting in the way :(
    scrn4.jpg
  • Danglebob
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
  • Danglebob
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    sorry for the double post broseph, but i had an awesome idea for a sentry. death lasers aimed at a disco ball. let that stew for the night. you'll like it.
  • Khthon
    That's great and the animation of them popping out of the sides wouldn't be too hard to figure out either.
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    playing around with base colors, obviously this is the red version. kinda feel like its TOO much red so let me know your thoughts please

scrn7.jpg

the pink would be some sort of light effect equivalent to this

jukebox-300x400.jpg
  • Mico27
    Awesome dispenser replacement!, too bad you wont be able to put music because tf2 can only support one sound channel at a time (excluding voice chat). Thats why you can only hear one sound at a time when you are ingame (ex: try taunting during the announcer's countdown and you will notice the sound will cut each others)
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, i totally didnt notice that. bummer :(
  • Batt
    Mico27 wrote: »
    Awesome dispenser replacement!, too bad you wont be able to put music because tf2 can only support one sound channel at a time (excluding voice chat). Thats why you can only hear one sound at a time when you are ingame (ex: try taunting during the announcer's countdown and you will notice the sound will cut each others)

Really? Stuff like the spanish flea dispenser mod seems to work fine even with the announcer talking and explosives going off.
  • Khthon
    No, the engine can play multiple sounds. But during setup countdown the Announcer takes precedence in the sound channel so people will be guaranteed to hear it. Multiple people can taunt and hear the taunts at once in a circle for instance. The Announcer is a special case. Explosions and sentry fire etc.
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    still messin around, prolly start texturing tonight
    scrn8.jpg
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    i have no idea what im doing with this texturing phase. any thoughts or tips are appreciated.

test.jpg
  • Khthon
    Are the buttons dupes? Are you putting anything on them? Can you make the model a light source? I think it looks too 'flat', needs more variation/brushwork.

Considered a label for the record in the player? Rocket Jump Waltz or something? Or just use the TF2 logo on it?

tf2_logo.png

Take a look at LaroLaro and Swizzle's textures for ideas on texture work.
  • Urthrese
    sorry i don't have a wacom at home so all i can show you is this for now. i'll be on steam tomorrow so message me then and i'll try to do a paintover this weekend when i take my wacom home with me.

i took the tf2 color palette they have and used that for my bases and did a quick AO bake for depth. tf2 is pretty simple texture wise and you were on the right path but that AO bake is something that every one of their assets has. but this is just with flat color and the bake compared to your old texture in flat view.

ss-72.jpg
  • Sn1pe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sn1pe polycounter lvl 9
    Are you animating the build/upgrade animations yourself? If you want I might be able to help you out.
  • Buck
    You dont need a tablet to make tf2 textures. I make all of mine with a mouse. Just use now enough opacity. Model looks sweet though.
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    not gonna worry about animating, as its super close to the deadline and i work all this weekend. just want to get a decent texture and make the three dispensers.
    will post progress tomorrow :(
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    update, gonna submit to make sure i dont miss the deadline, but work on the texture tonight. it was fun, and i learned some new stuff so im pretty happy with it.

scrn9.jpg
  • Dr. Waldo Fehr
    Wow, I like them alot! Can't wait to blast some tunes through one of these! :D

Also, a name suggestion: "The Acoustic Armament"
  • Khthon
    Jukebox Generator

The Party Machine
  • komfyrion
    "Spy sappin' my JEWK BOX!!"
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    i figured on the Jammin Jukebox, but im open for suggestions. thanks a ton for your support guys.
    updated it with spec and emmisive so those bars will glow a bit
    scrn10.jpg
  • Khthon
    Nice, I like glowy things! :P

Looks better and better
  • eisiger
    Wow. I had great expectations for this from the very beginning without looking at the progress throughout the contest, but you went above and beyond. It looks amazing.

Also, it may be a bit late, but I was going to say this may have been a better choice for the lights, just to stick with the original color scheme. Otherwise, great work.
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks man. thats what i had in mind when i started, but it comes off really monotone. if you look at the dispensers they have that yellow and orange to kinda add more color so i tried to follow suit.
  • duxun
    cool i love this TF2 prop !!
  • Lancars
    Dude. Music can heal but it can also hurt :D

Good stats would be it only healed from the front using the power of rock and if an enemy stands by it they start to get hurt.

(I played brutal legend alot so i want this as a dispenser reskin if it can't make it into the game.
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    i doubt it will make it in game, i could release the .obj i guess. ive been struggling with getting it in game, steam engine is a poo poo