Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Jman

I just thought I'd throw myself in here on the last day, some engi stuff.

Black Betty - Pistol Replacement (Would need edited ammo counts)

de4e00revolver.jpg

The Jag - Wrench Replacement

9bc600jag.jpg

Chauffeur's Cap - Hat

5c4e00chauffeurcap.jpg

These are purely just hlmv "renders," so the quality won't be as high.

Also I want to know what I need to do to prove I made these, I started awhile ago though I guess I can just post WIP renders of the piece from start to finish?

Replies

• adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Approved. Although this shouldn't have waited until the last working day for this contest. What gives?
  • Pogo
    Some wip renders, concept art etc would be useful
  • x-quake
    The wrench's brush strokes seem too detailed. Too small. Actually, the gun's too. I love them, but they could use some simplifying.
  • Jman
    Wrench was based on:

6881.jpg

Black Betty was based on:

Very Large Image

Chauffeur Cap based on:

This and This

WIP's (Though not truely WIP's cause I never really "showed them off," though I do have many .max files for each major change I did to the models):

Wrench

Large Image

Black Betty:

Large Image

Chauffer's Cap:

Large Image
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Jman, you need to read the rules! You HAVE to post WIP shots while developing and you can't use any items that you've made before the competition. I know that you made that wrench over a year ago. Maybe you remodeled it for the competition in which case it's fine but you still should have posted WIP shots while working on these.

Formalities aside, your items look great. I've always liked the models you've done for TF2. I just wish you'd have posted WIPs! You could have gotten tons of valuable feedback on your items while developing them instead of posting 8 hours before the contest ends just to show that you're entering.

Also what's the theme of your pack? All of your items have to be tied together by a theme.
  • Jman
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Jman, you need to read the rules! You HAVE to post WIP shots while developing and you can't use any items that you've made before the competition. I know that you made that wrench over a year ago. Maybe you remodeled it for the competition in which case it's fine but you still should have posted WIP shots while working on these.

Formalities aside, your items look great. I've always liked the models you've done for TF2. I just wish you'd have posted WIPs! You could have gotten tons of valuable feedback on your items while developing them instead of posting 8 hours before the contest ends just to show that you're entering.

Also what's the theme of your pack? All of your items have to be tied together by a theme.
    The wrench has had several edits to the mesh and UV to spruce it up along with textures (as a result of the UV edits). But yes the basic mesh was made by me prior to the contest. However, I see nothing in "Meet the Rules" deliberately stating it needs to be made during the contest, it just says I need to show my progress from start to finish, which I'll be glad to now do, I just want to know exactly how (I guess I can send in each of my .max file backups?).

I don't see anything about a theme other than "Items must be themed to Team Fortress 2 and should fit in the Team Fortress 2 universe and time period (e.g. No clown suits for the Heavy Weapons Guy!" from the briefing page.

Also sorry for being a defensive prick, love you bro. C:
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This is an art contest and the art needed to be created and shown during that duration.

What's the overall theme of your Pack? Your entry is to be 1 cohesive theme. Not 3 separate items that are completely unrelated to eachother. If you entered earlier - as you should have - and seen what others were doing, you would have picked up on that.

"You must create a Work In Progress thread in the Contests and Challenges Forum for your entry and must show your progress from start to finish"

This doesn't mean you do 1 post with breakdown shots of your work from beginning to end. It means you register at Polycount (or be an existing member) and post your progress as it is completed.

So far, everyone has understood this. And with this, if the work was shown in your WIP thread we'd be able to know if you made it before or after the contest start date. Your mesh had been worked on previously, which is unfortunate.

As I said, so far the rules written were clear enough that very few people have misunderstood the rules about posting at Polycount, whether the work needed to be developed after the start date, or whether or not they needed to be the same cohesive theme. In fact, you're the first person I've seen who this needed to be addressed.

Have a look around at other entries if you have other questions about how the contest works.
  • Jman
    I understood, I just thought that since the rule was worded so loosely I could get by with using a modified previous mesh and stuff it all in one post (and in that not waste a good amount of time). I also didn't hear anything about the theme (other than it must be themed to tf2) until I actually went to submit it and saw "Item Theme:" in the text box paste, and then it was too late. Of course then I could argue that theme is a loose term and that "contains the color grey" is my theme, though that'd be lame.

Either way I'm just being a sourpuss.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    The theme thing wasn't extremely clear in the rules but there was a lot of talk and a sticky thread clearing it up and since nearly everyone entering has been checking the forums every day they saw the sticky and adjusted fairly early in the competition. It's unfortunate that this happened to you but as Adam said pretty much everyone else has understood how things should have been done.

Hopefully because of the great turnout there will be more of these competitions. You should definitely enter the next one (if there is one) now that you understand how it works better.