Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"I wanted the gun to tell a story."

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
This is my 5th gun i've created and this by far is the best. I sorta took my own crazy twist from racers tutorial and started texturing the gun to tell a story of a hard fight. The texture maps were painted at 4096 and the normals at 2048.

Its funny because after my first painting attempt:
80153171.png
I was going to ditch the project and call it quits for a bit. And then i decided to come back to it and pay attention to every scratch like it was the first.

And heres the new one, hand painted 100%
wargun.png

Heres the textures, i think this is the first time i nailed the spec map :) And as you can see uv mapping isnt my strong side :poly141:
texs.jpg

Replies

• samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First and formost fix your UV's, there is no excuse for bad UV's. No skill is needed to unwrap good UVW's.

I am not sure what is happening with those normals, perhaps it's world-space or something, I do not know.

It doesn't look like there are normals on some parts of the weapon, IE the butt, the edges are very sharp. Always make good normals before moving on.

The texture is ok, I would say that it looks a little clowdy, subtulty is the key, I think the damage is overdone a bit but as it's your 5th texture it's fine.

Get your 6th done, the next will always surpass the last.

keep up improving
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its object space normals, and my main problem with UV's is getting them packed. I couldnt imagine doing it myself and max's auto pack is pretty bad.

The butt i really didnt put so much attention to as this was planned to be an FPS weapon practice.

At the damage being overdone, i think the side without the fire selector is better than the side with it, but i was trying to portray a hard fight of tripping with the gun, dropping it, shooting people close up (blood on the silencer) etc etc etc
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a little bit closer pics:
    closej.png
    close2.png
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    having an individual asset textured in a way to convey a story works in your portfolio if the rest of what is in your portfolio encases that asset in the same theme, and ultimately, an entire environment. even then, this would be extremely difficult to pull off as an individual portfolio piece as there is not a single person out there that is going to understand whatever backstory you came up with by just looking at the asset alone. no one is going to want to take the time to read a back story or an explanation unless it really, really, really impresses them right off the bat, and to try and convey a story in a single asset is very, very, very difficult. in the end, this just looks like bad texturing. no offense, but you have to put yourself in the shoes of the HR or AM and think about what they are looking for when they look at your portfolio.

showing a single asset such as a weapon has one pure goal, showing a quality asset. telling a story works more for entire environments and some character work. someone looking at your portfolio is going to be more concerned with "can this guy make a nice looking asset that is easily readable". if you want to make an impact, then make the shit kick ass in every way, and don't do an AK, or an M4, or a weapon you would see in every other portfolio.

so ultimately to finish this weapon, you really need clean up your UVs. I'm confused on your comment of "I couldnt imagine doing it myself". Make the bake tangent space. Make a nice clean texture that can be read easily.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not being literal on the whole telling a story thing. When someone looked at it i wanted them to kinda peak around with their eyes. For instance, on the clip the shooter took tally's of something, maybe it was kills? And the viewer will say "heh thats pretty neat'. I didnt want it to go along with a story like a book report. The first texture was not my best clean texture, it was very rushed and this is why i did not like it. I decided to revist the project with alot more detail paid attention to. This asset was also created to practice scratch texturing.

I didnt mess up the entire thing because i was unable to make it look clean, i messed it up because it makes it more interesting. In school people always asked me why i like to draw severed limbs with the bones sticking out of the flesh, and ask me if i have any problems. Of course i dont, i just think it looks more interesting when viewed as a whole.

I find tangent space normals more problematic and harder to work with compared to object space. And although i have 3+ years modeling experience, im new to texturing and uv mapping.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    it's not so much a matter of making it look "clean" or "brand new" or anything like that. the modeling and normal map bake comes out is where the clean part really comes into play. it is how it reads to the viewer, and on this side of it, it leans more towards the texturing end. right now, this is over the top on the scratching and wear and tear.

the marks on the ammo clip are cool, that i can understand to the point you are trying to make. everything else though is just simply too much man. you have to be able to understand that.

you have to be able to step back and detach yourself from the work you just did as your own and view it as everyone else would. how would joe shmoe see this in a game, and what would he think about it?

More importantly, if this was intended for scratching practice, then you just need more practice in creating better use of brushes, variations of stroke weights for scratching, and general logical placement.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally every time i look at this gun it reminds me of something you would see in fallout.

Id have to agree with the texture needing to be toned down a bit, from the distance you cant even make out the scratches as scratches.

I forgot to re-save the diffuse right before i started taking pictures, the fore grip wasnt supposed to be clean:
    gungun.png

Here was the bake at 4k triangles:
    akbake.png
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    U cant let max auto pack UVS its just not right.

"want something done, DO IT YOURSELF" ¨(gary oldman in the 5th element)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I couldnt imagine doing it myself

Cry me a river. Their are some programs that can do it for you, but for the best, most practical, and logical results, you end up do it yourself, not giving up and letting allowing the results to be shmuck.

The textures are noisy. Sure, its worn and torn, but its over the top. Did he just take it and drag it against concrete? It doesnt make sence. Why did he put kill makes on the ammo caseing? Usualy in the heart of battle, thats a throu away part of the gun when you pull out to put another in to reload. How come the metal is so torn up but the rest of the gun seems fine?

The only character I see in this gun is the little marks on the ammo caseing. Everything else is typical gun, which doenst make it stand out. What did the operator of that gun do to make it unique and his alone?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true wrote: »
    Cry me a river. Their are some programs that can do it for you, but for the best, most practical, and logical results, you end up do it yourself, not giving up and letting allowing the results to be shmuck.
    I forgot i could auto pack and then re arrange it, by "i couldnt imagine doing it myself" i meant taking every uv island and puting them close together one by one. Now that i look at it i could have probably done that.

Sadly you cant change topic titles on polycount, since the gun doesnt tell that much of a story id rather change it because it can be misleading.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    I forgot i could auto pack and then re arrange it, by "i couldnt imagine doing it myself" i meant taking every uv island and puting them close together one by one. Now that i look at it i could have probably done that.

Sadly you cant change topic titles on polycount, since the gun doesnt tell that much of a story id rather change it because it can be misleading.

This is basic and fundamental knowledge, without efficent unwrapping you will never be hired, focus on that first and u can strike it off ur list
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Wow that dudes gotten like 28 kills.

Add some accessories, like rope, bandages, key chains, temporary fixes, mirrors e.t.c if you want more character

lol maybe the owner can write a diary of his main events on the grip.

"June 2006. Wife cheated on me with the gasman"

"June 2008. Wife cheated on me with my dad and brother in Spain"

"June 2009. Killed them and added the deaths to this gun"
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a 3D artist at all but what I can tell you is that from the very first viewing of it it seemed to noisey. Too current gen. 'Hyper Realistic'
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    oh my lord! that thing looks like its been thru a few paintball wars and then had a nuclear bomb go off next to it!

like sam said above, work on the uv'ing. Even with a 2048 texture, it looks like you're using only about 50% of available space.

for the texture itself, you need to pay closer attention to how guns wear and tear in real life. I know I'm not perfect either and am always looking to perfect my process, but you gotta look at which areas would receive damage and why
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Serp wrote: »
    Wow that dudes gotten like 28 kills.

Add some accessories, like rope, bandages, key chains, temporary fixes, mirrors e.t.c if you want more character

lol maybe the owner can write a diary of his main events on the grip.

"June 2006. Wife cheated on me with the gasman"

"June 2008. Wife cheated on me with my dad and brother in Spain"

"June 2009. Killed them and added the deaths to this gun"

:D!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricV wrote: »
    oh my lord! that thing looks like its been thru a few paintball wars and then had a nuclear bomb go off next to it!

like sam said above, work on the uv'ing. Even with a 2048 texture, it looks like you're using only about 50% of available space.

for the texture itself, you need to pay closer attention to how guns wear and tear in real life. I know I'm not perfect either and am always looking to perfect my process, but you gotta look at which areas would receive damage and why
    Well in fallout nuclear bombs went off and alot of the guns look like this :poly124:
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Okay, cool and all, but all of the materials look the same. Specular is a big part of this. The general luminosity of the spec is similar everywhere, be it wood, plastic, or the three distinct kinds of metal i count. Make that stuff pop!
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to be truthful with you: you would not get a job with this piece. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm trying to help you here.
    First, the uvs are poor, and there is no excuse to not pack them yourself. It takes all of an hour for even the most complicated thing. Secondly, the texture size is laughable. I know for sure that you're not displaying it with a 1024, which should be the absolute max for a weapon. Period. maybe a 2048x1024 (the largest res gun in Crysis), but nothing more than that. This also ties in with what's been said, that you can use lower resolution textures if you pack the uvs correctly. Also, normals should be in tangent space for 90% of assets, if you research the difference, you'll find that you can't do a lot of thing with world space normals without getting weirdness in the lighting. I have heard of people swearing by world space normals, but I can't think of any game that uses them. I would also like to see a wireframe, 4k seems a bit excessive for this weapon. Lastly, I would just work on the textures; you don't have to tell a story, but there should be some logic behind it. Who is using this weapon? Why are they using this weapon (because it looks like it's beat to shit, not the best weapon for any kind of killer. You should really research not only real in use military weapons (i.e. ones that have years of battle) and even Czech homemade weapons. I've never seen anything in the military this beat up, or even out of all the crappy homemade guns. You have to think about it from an "operator" standpoint; your gun is the only thing keeping you alive, you're going to take care of it to some degree.
    Although these photos are horribly out of focus, you can see the amount of damage a gun would normally take Scratched AK Guns aren't usually painted with spray paint, it takes ALOT to really scratch them like you have.

Food for thought.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Listen to Firebert he knows his shit. Instead of trying to justify everything for each crit, I would highly suggest at least trying what they are recommending you do to make it better.

on the subject of the UVs, hand packing them as tight as possible is a really fundamental skill that is required of any artist in this industry, its tedious and boring but you really need to be able to do it. right now this piece feels a bit rushed, like you wanted to get it over and done with. gotta make love to the art baby, take it out for dinner, massage it a whole lot, nibble its ear etc :D

I think some strategic heavy wear in some areas that would rub would sell the fact the gun has been used in an epic series of battles more than an overall level of grunge and deterioration. areas not so worn would give the texture contrast and balance it from the current look i think were its just really noisy.

areas that would rub or catch should be almost a smooth transition from painted metal to the raw metal underneath. scratches are only one way metal objects get deteriorated.

finally, in terms of texture size, 4096 is overkill. most console games these days still rareley use 2048's. having well packed uvs would probably have a 1024 look as good as that 4096 as it stands, just because of all the wasted texel space. someone once said to me "for every pixel of wasted texture space an angel loses its wings" haha

with some revisions this could turn out pimp, just apply what people here are saying and refine that spec to differentiate the various surface qualities and you should be laughin'
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want the gun to look like it's been through hell, maybe you should bang-up the model a bit with dents. Also, put some dirt and stuff in the cracks and crevices.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    know for sure that you're not displaying it with a 1024, which should be the absolute max for a weapon. Period.
    Thats totally false, 2k is standard for most weapons. Especially if you are doing a portfolio piece.

The comments about your UVs are right, you need to fix that before you put this in your portfolio or just never show anyone those UVs and don't make that mistake again. You need to manually unwrap your shells and then manually pack them.

You probably shouldn't put something you made following a tutorial in your portfolio as there are only two impressions you leave and neither are good.

1) Potential employers recognize your AK as being like all the other AKs people who followed the same tutorial made and won't take you seriously.

2) They don't realize its from a tutorial and think this is something you made using your own collection of skills and experience and then logically assume you can handle other tasks of similar difficulty. This would be disingenuous on your part.

Build something totally different and try to apply what you learned from the tutorial and then put that in your portfolio.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    First thing that struck me was, "Why is his magazine made out of wood? Or is that leather?"

Magazines are the first thing that get dropped or lost in combat (other than spent brass, of course), so it made me wonder why it was made out of such an unusual material, and why he didn't keep his kill counts on, say, the wooden handgrip in front of the magazine well.
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats totally false, 2k is standard for most weapons. Especially if you are doing a portfolio piece.
    In what game? I looked at all the pack files for the games I own (unreal 3, GOW, Crysis, the Source games) and Crysis had the largest map of 2048x1024. Although I've seen this claim over and over, I've seen no games actually doing it, and I see no reason to use that high of a resolution unless you're planning on it being used at an insanely high resolution. Please correct me, but I've not seen an actual studio say that's what they use, only individuals. A portfolio piece shouldn't matter, because you will be doing art for a game, not a portfolio.

EDIT: Oh, you've been working on RAge you sly dog :P Well that may be the case there.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Really guys?! The texture resolution for a portfolio piece is probably the least important detail. The only reason I would really care about the texture resolution is if the original poster said I want to get it into this game/game engine.

Right now there's a lot more important issues that need to be addressed.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    I think the story is someone tried to clean it with some rocks.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    oh god what has happened here
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    less is more. less scratches dear god please.
    theres a reason racer made it alot more subtle.

the gun must've been involved in some sort of battle vs sandpaper machine.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, snap! Racer445 is here yo, shiz about to get crazy up in this joint!
    Racer445 the AK-47 god has just arrived.

In all seriousness, watch racer445's ak47 full tutorial set or maybe pester him with some questions?
    I will not be held countable for any broken noses.

: )
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    OMG Racer sounds pissed!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your wood looks like bakelite, and what's up with the red tints on the metal?
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Why would anyone mark their kill count on a magazine? Then you would need to make sure you kept that magazine with you and reloaded it so that you could keep your kill-count proper, or would you keep mags with you and perhaps tally them up in a ledger during a combat lull?
    It actually makes sense if you think about it, he's never had to reload because looking at the surface of the gun the guy has probably been using it as a melee weapon.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer planned for world domination with his awesome tutorials. I guess he expected everyone to be doing good weapons by now.

Not being a 3D Artist I can hardly give any crits but I'd say keep at it...
    Just think, in this case, of the word 'Minimal' :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godemper0r wrote: »
    Also, normals should be in tangent space for 90% of assets, if you research the difference, you'll find that you can't do a lot of thing with world space normals without getting weirdness in the lighting. I have heard of people swearing by world space normals, but I can't think of any game that uses them.
    I think you're confusing world-space and object-space. Two different things. No one uses WS since you can't rotate at all, but OS maps look exactly the same as WS, it's just the shader that causes the difference.

OS maps are definitely used in games, I don't think it's as low as 10% though.

http://wiki.polycount.com/Normal%20Map#Tangent-Space_vs._Object-Space
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    Why would anyone mark their kill count on a magazine? Then you would need to make sure you kept that magazine with you and reloaded it so that you could keep your kill-count proper, or would you keep mags with you and perhaps tally them up in a ledger during a combat lull?
    No one said he was a soldier in war.

I know your supposed to go easy on the scratches, i purposely overdid it to bring out the scratches to make it look more torn up.

Snader, modern AK's have rubber foregrip handles sometimes.

Kewop, loloololol

Since everyone seems to think it was an accident to make it look like a gun from fallout or extremely overused, ill tone down the scratches tons and take of the blood and post a picture.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Frell, the problem is that you've chosen a very common weapon to tell your story, and then tried to rationalize every decision regarding the overall look when most of the folks that have bothered to post seriously have some very valid things to say. If you were to follow their advice you'd come out with a much more solid-looking piece.

You say you want the weapon to tell a story? Look at Bioshock's weapons. The crossbow and grenade launcher always come to mind when thinking of how they were made - e.g. scavenged and cobbled together from things the denizens of Rapture found lying around; the fact that the frag grenades are made from discarded cans of tinned goods, that a major part of the crossbow firing mechanism is a ruler, and the drawstring is made of piano wire. This kind of thing adds story and character to a weapon - not inexplicable, over-the-top scratches.

Personally, I think it's great that you're trying to express some character and story in a weapon, something that's all too-often overlooked, but the story part of the idea seems more like an afterthought as opposed to a real design decision. Put some more definitive thought into the story you want to tell, and try to accept legitimate critiques more readily!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    it doesnt matter what your reasoning is behind the things people say look bad, they still look bad and that is the problem.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drop the story crits, im mainly focused on my texturing right now.

Here it is cleaned up:
    cleanw.png
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's ALOT easier to read.
    It's just missing something... I'm not a 3D artist so I can't exactly tell you what but it needs just something. Feels alittle plain now.

Keep it up, mate.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea exactly, it really doesnt matter if it was by accident or on purpose how it turned out, people are trying to help you make it look more visually appealing. I wouldn't really hold Fallout 3's guns as a shining example of awesome weapon texture work...if i remember right they had really muddy and noisy textures with not much material definition.

basically the majoritry of comments here are on how it could look better, as right now its just not visually pleasing enough to be like wow! and with a bit of work and revisions it could look tight man.

Edit: just saw the update, lookin a lot better :)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    hehe you should have just named the thread "worn out AK" or something :-)
    Did you remove the red specular from the nose?
    Id move those tally marks somewhere on the gun perhaps :)

The scrathes do look alot better. Dont know if im the only one, but maybe up the scratches just abit ? :P
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    That's a significant improvement.

Frell, if you want some pictures of a well-used AK, I can take some snapshots of my Saiga. It's been dropped and thrown and dragged through the woods and well-loved - should give you a good reference.

I'm going to offer some advice from my own hard-earned experience, and it's kind of on a different track than most of the rest of the crits here. This may come off as pretty blunt, but I promise you, if you want to get into the industry once you've tackled the skill aspects, this is critical.

Stop. Freakin'. Arguing.

Shut up.

Listen.

This is the voice of hard-earned experience speaking. PLEASE remember those three things.

When somebody takes the time to examine your work (which you've posted for critique), they're taking their time to offer you advice that they feel will improve your work, or they're trying to guide you away from things they know DON'T work. The WORST thing you can do is start jabbering away and arguing about why you did it that way or why you think it was a good idea or anything like that.

Another artist on the internet is going to see that and think "why did I waste my time? I want those five minutes of my life back", and that's probably the last time they're going to bother trying to help you. A potential employer is going to listen to about three seconds of that and immediately think, "this kid doesn't take direction. He has an attitude, he has his idea in his head, and that's what he's gonna do." If that person was thinking about hiring you before, they absolutely won't now. If, somehow, they ALREADY hired you - and it can occasionally happen - you will be packing up your desk very, very soon.

Until you have so much experience and seniority that you're the one making top-level art decisions as the Art Director, this business is about taking directions from somebody more experienced than you, nodding, smiling, and doing what they say. That's it. People who hem and haw and argue and go off on a tangent with their own ideas are a waste of time and money to an Art Director. They have an easy, one-size-fits-all fix for wastes of time and money, and it's called having HR shitcan you. This is not a union industry, and it is not an employee's labor market right now.

In this business you HAVE to learn to shut your mouth, listen, and try what a more experienced artist suggests. Even if you think it's dumb, or it won't work, or it won't look the way you wanted it to. Just get in the habit of doing it anyway. I guarantee that you will learn very quickly, your skills will improve, and if you do what's suggested, you may end up with what you were hoping for anyway.

How do I know these things? I've been there as a little noob artist. I have enough experience under my belt now to KNOW I don't know things, ask others for answers, keep my mouth shut (most of the time), listen to what they say, and try their suggestions. Here's the secret... doing that is how I got better. I have a long ways to go, but now I know what I need to learn and I'm much better at learning it. Most importantly, though, the people I ask are much more happy to teach me.

Please, for the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, take my advice and don't step in the same potholes.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rubber fore grip made the gun look unique but it was also to plain, so im trying wood again:

The gun is slowly getting alot more boring :(newercw.png
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Yea, just keep at it. Textures take some time.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    frell wrote: »
    The rubber fore grip made the gun look unique but it was also to plain, so im trying wood again:

The gun is slowly getting alot more boring :(newercw.png

I know it may seem boring to you, but it's looking much better. Try looking at some references of the polymer pistol grips and foregrips used on Krinkovs, and try adding a depiction of that material to your textures. Just do the pistol grip first, focus on the diffuse and the spec color / power. The polymer they use has a very interesting look. Trying to match it will knock your textures up a notch and be a very good skill-builder.
  • Gerasimimumu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is a nice gun, and I like both the beat up one and this new revision. I would say it depends on the setting, which type of maps to use.

Def work on your UV's, that's a must. If this is done to get into the industry, they will think 'oh god, I got to teach this guy how to pack his shit properly'

I also do not see any reason to have this all up at such a high res. I would cut all of your maps in half. 2048 is WAY more than anyone would use for a simple model like that. Most FPS weapons I have been seeing are 2048x1024 or 2048x2048 max and those were a hell of a lot more detailed.

Keep it up,
    Gera
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newnew.png

Tried to get that grip type look on the fore grip

Also to the people who are bringing up the point that i would not egt a job with my uvs etc, i know. I would like to say again that this is only my 5th gun and im still learning.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, quit with the attitude, for your own sake.

The best thing you can do is keep at it, and when something proves difficult, give it your best whack, and post up here instead of just changing that wood to rubber or whatever.

Polycount is not about measuring dick, its about helping each-other get better.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob wrote: »
    Dude, quit with the attitude, for your own sake.

The best thing you can do is keep at it, and when something proves difficult, give it your best whack, and post up here instead of just changing that wood to rubber or whatever.

Polycount is not about measuring dick, its about helping each-other get better.
    Id like to remind you also that i am new to texturing and uv mapping, and this is only my 5th gun. My latest picture isnt just changing the wood to rubber, i reduced the scratches loads and fixed up the rubber. And that is my best whack at it, i am still a beginner.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude quit the excuses, and I wasn't dissing your work, what I am saying is that you keep making excuses for why this is not 100%. Instead of talking about how new you are at it, get at it, remember that no-one here was born naturals for UVW'ing, people just kept going. Now some of these feckers are working at blizzard etc.

So please, for your own sake, can that ego and stop making excuses.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well im already working on a new gun and im going to try to nail the uvs