I needed a universal general scope to put on my guns, so i made one! 1.3k tris
Scope_by_Frell262.png
picsz.jpg

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    You got to work with the materials here dude, spec is missing in action. Fix the specular and throw a kick ass reflective material on that bad boy lens. Personally speaking, there is nothing that flows my juices better than a nice big sniper scope with some enviromental reflective map on it. Good day gentleman!
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    The texture looks way too cloudy and scratchy. Metal tends to be smoother and less noisy than that.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    You got to work with the materials here dude, spec is missing in action. Fix the specular and throw a kick ass reflective material on that bad boy lens. Personally speaking, there is nothing that flows my juices better than a nice big sniper scope with some enviromental reflective map on it. Good day gentleman!
    Im not really good with specular maps and i cant find any guides, so i tent to just mess with the saturation and brightness and contrast.

Something must be wrong with the normals also, i have object space unchecked in marmo and its for some reason projecting the light on the opposite side of the model...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's no such thing as 'not being good at spec maps'. If you understand them, it's straightforward. Black=no spec, white=very strong spec. Things get slightly more complicated with the inclusion of a glossmap, but let's assume you're not using that here.
    What you want is a contrast between different surfaces, and to emulate the way light affects different materials. This is also the map where you add subtleties like fingerprints, grease, scratches, etc.
    Overlay your ao map as darken layer, as there should be no (or very very little) spec in crevices where dust settles. Add scratches to things that stick out and are most likely to scrape against other surfaces. Play around with contrast a lot! An overly subtle specmap may as well not be there.

edit: if you're saying it's lighting the wrong way, you've probably got an inverted channel, maybe two. It's relatively hard to tell in these screenshots though, since there's no spec. Increase the spec and try flipping your red and/or green channels in Photoshop.
    Also, can we see seperate diffuse- and normal-only screenshots (on the model, I mean)? It appears to me that you're highlighting a lot of things in your diffuse that are actively working against any normalmap you have. On a lot of edges you have a white line, then a black line, then another white line. This is effectively killing any opportunities for showing off a nice specular highlight, which is a big part of convincing metal.