Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Soccer Guy

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
haikai polycounter lvl 8
In an effort to get back into using Max (haven't used it in several years) I thought I'd make a simple model. I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I thought the World Cup might be a good opportunity to do something outside of my comfort zone:
simo.jpg

I made a bust of this fictional character from Morocco (even though they didn't make it to the World Cup this time around). I considered doing more busts for a bunch of different nationalities... we'll see. :)

Replies

• ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Top-notch texturing work. I´d really like to see some more busts.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    One of the eye balls needs to be flipped, the highlight wouldn't be mirrored like it is now.

its kinda weird how you did the eyes for the model.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Brilliant texturing!
    YOu just motivated me to go work on my low res model! :D
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Apart from the mirrored eye i can't really nitpick, great little model+texture dude. It'd be nice to see a full character textured to the same standard but more busts is also good :). Did you use a 3d painting app or is this all photoshop?
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    howcome you've got the uv's rotated at an odd angle for the face, would that be harder to paint?

or is it just the fact makes uv's tighter
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    nice stuff :) the hair is really nice .. maybe could use a bit more contrast though
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yeah, I would love to see more! Great Work!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    yea, fantastic work. like rollin said here - some deeper touches of dark would go along way to push the contrast on the hair.

also - the decision to separate the eye itself results in the faceted outline of it. considering its the focal point, you might want to avoid it. maybe it would be better to include some surrounding white - which blends more easily - and have the eye smoothly circular. from game-production POV usually the entire eyeball is separated anyway for animation purposes, which would also fix this issue
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the feeback, everyone.
    ZacD wrote:
    One of the eye balls needs to be flipped, the highlight wouldn't be mirrored like it is now.

its kinda weird how you did the eyes for the model.

You're right about the (un)flipped eye. These screenshots were straight out of BodyPaint, and I had neglected to flip one of the eyes. As for how the eye is actually made, I've always thought separating the iris/pupil out was a good compromise to enable the effect of moving eyes while retaining low polygon counts and textural freedom around the eye area. I've seen it used in a few games here and there, and while it does look awkward in a still, it fares a bit better in motion.
    tda wrote:
    It'd be nice to see a full character textured to the same standard but more busts is also good :). Did you use a 3d painting app or is this all photoshop?

As I was making this I couldn't help but think how cool it would be to see an NBA Jam-ish type soccer game with stylized characters. Smaller field, fewer players, really flashy moves. But that's just another pipe dream. :\

I used mostly BodyPaint (3d painting app) for the textures, and some Photoshop here and there.
    sampson wrote:
    howcome you've got the uv's rotated at an odd angle for the face, would that be harder to paint?

or is it just the fact makes uv's tighter

It's mostly to pack the UVs as tightly as I could. I often don't care much for how UVs are oriented unless there's some sort of technical or planning reason. If I were strictly painting in Photoshop then I would definitely try to make things easier on myself and straighten those shells out, but seams and awkward angles are much less of a concern for me in BodyPaint.
    rollin wrote:
    nice stuff :) the hair is really nice .. maybe could use a bit more contrast though

Thanks, I agree.
    shotgun wrote:
    also - the decision to separate the eye itself results in the faceted outline of it. considering its the focal point, you might want to avoid it. maybe it would be better to include some surrounding white - which blends more easily - and have the eye smoothly circular. from game-production POV usually the entire eyeball is separated anyway for animation purposes, which would also fix this issue

You may be right about adding some white to round out the edges. I was thinking that white edges would look odd when rotated at certain angles so I left them, but those situations would be rare anyway.
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    *football*
    but yeah it's looking good so far. love the textures.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    Haikai: There's a couple NBA Jam type soccer games with stylized characters like Sega Soccer Slam and FIFA Street.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OOooh...nice theory behind that seperate iris.....thanks for the info! :D
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    That's a really nice model, pretty much got blown away by your texturing abilities, really great stuff.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering...why not use a plane instead of x-sided circle?
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    There's a couple NBA Jam type soccer games with stylized characters like Sega Soccer Slam and FIFA Street.

You're right. That's pretty good reference so thanks for mentioning those games. Goes to show how much I keep up with sports games :). I suppose I meant to say an NBA Jam type soccer game made by myself, hehehe.

butt_sahib wrote:
    I was wondering...why not use a plane instead of x-sided circle?

Well, using a plane could get awkward because at that point you'd almost have to use alpha. I was planning the model to not use any alpha at all, and it would be rather wasteful to only use it on the eyes. This was intended for a low spec game where the characters might only be using one single-sided material. You wouldn't want to use a single alpha material on the entire character either, and simply avoiding alpha if possible is always appreciated for performance. At least, that's how I understand it :\.

I could be totally wrong about this whole eye thing as I've never actually had to use it in my job. It's just something I have seen used before (the human female eyes in WoW being the main example I can think of right now).
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    awesome texturing! really well done.