Home General Discussion

Indie Development Podcast/s...

Came up with this idea about a week ago, could people give their thoughts on it please?
To give the community an insight into the work that goes into development of Indie projects, I (Squiggers) decided to contact several indie developers for a series of podcasts covering several aspects of Indie Development.

At present, the current plan is to do podcasts covering the following subjects (But not necessarily in this order) :
  • Team Organisation & Recruitment
  • Finance, Loans, Grants, and setting up as a business.
  • Interaction with the community and PR.
If the community has any suggestions of areas they'd like us to cover, then please say so.

I'd like to look at doing podcasts after the initial series, that would focus on individual projects in much the same way that the Dev Banter podcast does (Not meaning to intrude on the great work that you do there guys, its a good laugh to listen to.), but that depends on what other guys in the line up so far, and those who join want to do really.

At present, the following people have agreed to be part of the podcast, provided there are no complications at their end:
I'm also attempting to contact other indie developers for the podcast series so if you have any suggestions of groups that you'd like to see as a guest, or if you yourself would like to participate, please say so.

Ideally, we'd be looking at getting the first podcast recorded towards the end of June/early July.

http://www.moddb.com/groups/indie-development-podcast

Any suggestions, or thoughts in regards to this? Any input would be great. :)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Make sure you encourage people tell the listeners their story. "I got into the industry by, I started doing indie games with, my first indie game success was..." at the start of the cast.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I could see this being better as a video podcast (since it sounds like it will be audio only). I would have some interest in a podcast like this, since I'm not in 'the industry', especially if it were to venture into current development (which I know you didn't reference, and may be too restrictive).
  • Squiggers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skulburn wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind talking on behalf of Crystal Core, you can get in contact with me via email: contact [at] crystal-core.co.uk, or msn at - tylertrevell [at] live.co.uk

Cheers.

Sure thing, the more the merrier as far as i'm concerned - think we might have to split it over the areas that people want to talk about. Can I ask whether you have Skype, by the way?
    ZacD wrote: »
    Make sure you encourage people tell the listeners their story. "I got into the industry, I started doing indie games with, my first indie game success was..." at the start of the cast.

Definitely- cheers for the suggestion. :)
    notman wrote: »
    I could see this being better as a video podcast (since it sounds like it will be audio only). I would have some interest in a podcast like this, since I'm not in 'the industry', especially if it were to venture into current development (which I know you didn't reference, and may be too restrictive).

Hmm, sounds like a good idea. Might need to find some 2D/Flash artists for that side of it mind, as its mainly meant to be a good laugh while we're doing it.

I think, provided that everyone involved with it were comfortable talking about it, it'd work - Ideally, i'd like to do future ones where we looked at individual projects and discussed them, but thats up to people involved, and what people would like to see I think.
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a really good idea, good luck with it hope it turns out well
    I might be a little biased though :)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Do you need comic relief? My boss might be interested in helping. (Kirk Longendyke).

See my PM.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Sounds awesome!!!