Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Temple Interior

Hola :)

So I'm starting up a new project, a temple interior with an earthy/cave-like feel. It's going to be a lush environment with waterfalls running through it and a lot of ornamental details.. I have a proxy model of the whole scene, that a friend of mine is concepting over presently. Hoping to have the concept by next week, until then, I've started on a couple of tiled textures that I may or may not use.

rocksk.jpg

Textures were made 100% in zBrush

Replies

• gsokol
    Cool, but if you have a proxy model of the whole scene...why arent you showing that?
  • Khalamea
    Oh I just figured proxies weren't much to show, I've attached one of them though as well as a little architectural ornament that will be used in the scene. The architecture will all be Thai/indian inspired, so I just concepted based on ornamentation I saw on Thai buildings.

tempproxy.jpg

pickone.jpg

doodad.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, would you mind briefly going over how you made that texture?
  • Khalamea
    Frell - Of course :) I'm sorry if this explanation is a bit confusing though, if you're lost at any point let me know and I can take some screenshots.

Firstly create a new document in zBrush and set the dimensions to 2048x2048. Then import a plane and frame it to fit the full size of the screen. With edit mode deselected, you can tile the plane simply by holding the '`' button and dragging. Using the simple brush tool, sketch out the layout of the pattern that you want continuing to tile as needed. Now to actually sculpt out the texture, you'll have to reproject the sculpt onto a new plane so that you can take it into edit mode and use the sculpting tools as normal.

To do that, select the MRGBZ grabber tool (click simple brush, a menu should pop up) and drag across the screen. It'll give you 2 maps, a displacement map in the alpha and a color map. Create a new document now and reimport a new plane. Subdivide the plane as needed, take it into edit mode, and mask by alpha using the alpha that the grabber gave you. Then go to the deformation menu and offset on the z-Axis by about -8 or so. Then you can sculpt at the plane like normal. Once you start getting to the edges though, you will have to repeat the tiling, mrgbz grabber, and reprojecting. Just keep doing that until the whole plane is sculpted though.

For coloring, a lot of the work is done via masks. Play around with the masking by ambient occlusion and cavity to get the details in. Then use alphas...lots of them :D I find color spray to be invaluable to texture painting, along with some random alphas, you can get a lot of that noise detail in really fast.

When you're done, you can export the normal and diffuse map straight out of zBrush
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You should make a video and put it on youtube of your process ;)
  • Moosey_G
    Nice looking high poly and textures, it would be awesome if you could make a video!
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    wicked textures, sounds like a similar technique to the way one of the texture artists from uncharted 2 makes his stone textures. he made a couple vids for a tutorial of the process, dont mean to derail the thread but it kinda ties into what people were asking.

here is his youtube channel with the tutorials
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rooz3d#p/a/u/2/devMGgy6HRk

cant wait to see this scene evolve from the blockout stage!
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    nice rock, very clean and actually looks like real rock unlike most ingame stuff.
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    That second rock texture owns =) I like how the diffuse has some sort of hand painted feel to it but yet it's all masks and overlays. Good job!
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Agree with Adam on a video :)
  • Khalamea
    Thanks for all of the comments :) As far as a video goes, I don't have the software to make one unfortunately, so all I can do are screenshots for now. If there's a specific part of the process anyone wants a more detailed description of, I can start documenting my next texture more

Pixelmasher - I actually never saw those videos, but I did see his post on zBrush central for the art of uncharted thread. He does a very brief explanation there. I do reference Uncharted a lot though, I am a huge fan of Naughty Dog :p I've had the great privilege of being mentored by one of their artists and spent a lot of time studying their methods. I didn't realize he sculpted with alphas so much though, I do 90% of my sculpting just with mallet fast and hpolish.
  • Khalamea
    mneh.jpg
    New texture that I was working on since this morning. I doubt this one will be used though, too clean for one. That and the fact my concept artist told me there are no bricks in the environment tehehe.... so this is now a practice throwaway piece.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Love the rock textures.

Added to the wiki. A breakdown with more pics would be great if you have the time.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/Digital%20Sculpting#Tiled_Sculpting
  • Khalamea
    Alright I'll do a new texture next week and record progress, have some things to take care of over this weekend so maybe by the middle/end of next week
  • Khalamea
    Okay the tutorial is currently in progress, I'll just be editing this post with updates as it progresses. I'll try to make the tutorial as detailed as possible for those who may not be as familiar with zBrush. If anyone has any questions or is stuck at any point, feel free to contact me :)

So before we begin, you will need to create a simple square plane in any 3D package, and export this as an obj. The number of subdivisions doesn't matter. Also be sure to gather reference for the texture you will be making, you will also likely be using some of these photos for doing the diffuse later on.

So. Step 1.

Step1.jpg

Open up zBrush and create a new document.
    a. Make sure the 'pro' option is disabled under the document menu.
    b. Resize document to your preferred dimensions (I always just use 2048x2048 )and hit crop.
    c. Import the plane obj that you created.
    d. Click and drag the zoom button until you can view the entire document.
    e. Enable edit mode and click the 'frame' button on the right toolbar. This option will only be available in edit mode.

Step 2 -

Step2.jpg

a. Change material to 'flat color'
    b. Select simple brush
    c. Turn off Zadd and turn on RGB mode, change brush type to Freehand
    d. Sketch the layout of texture you are creating. Hold '`' and drag to tile the texture

You should mainly be concerning yourself with the composition of the texture in this sketch. Layout shapes in a way that nothing stands out too prominently and so that it properly tiles.

((Alternate method, instead of sketching the layout in rgb, you can also just sketch/sculpt a layout by keeping zadd on, turning off rgb, and using the 'bump brush' in the 2d tools menu. It looks a lot rougher, but so long as you can read it, it may save a little bit of time.))

e. After sketch is laid out, click simplebrush until another tools
    menu pops up. Select mRGBZ grabber. Drag over the entire document.

mRGBZ grabber will provide you 2 maps in alpha and texture slots. The texture in the alpha map will act as a displacement map that we will use later. For now all we want is the texture map.

Something to keep in mind also, the images that mRGBZ grabber will give you will always be upside down. In some textures it doesn't matter, but if there's a distinct top side to your texture, you will have to export the texture and flip it in photoshop, then reimport.

Step 3-
    Step3.jpg

a. Create new document and import the plane obj again. Go into edit mode.
    b. Subdivide plane, making sure the smooth option is unchecked
    c. Go into the Texture Map menu and select the texture that you got from the mRGBZ grabber.

And now we start sculpting!

There's definitely a number of ways to approach sculpting the texture and it will ultimately be up to you to find the methods and tools that work best for you. Personally, for hard surfaces, I do 90% of my sculpting manually with a square malletfast brush and hpolish. I only add alpha details at the end.

Keep in mind though while sculpting this texture, do not sculpt all the way to the edges. Doing so will create seams when you try to tile. Also a tip when sculpting with the texture on, just block in all of the shapes that you sketched first. Then turn the texture off before sculpting. Having the texture on will get in the way of seeing the details of the sculpt.

Step4Step4.jpg

At this stage I'm just blocking out the sketch that I had before, trying to push in some of those crevices and pop out the high points. I'm not really concerned with details yet. I've turned the texture off at this point so that it doesn't get in the way. Tools used: MalletFast and hPolish

Step5Step5.jpg

Continue sculpting until most of the middle is blocked out. Now to tile and reproject this onto a new plane, you pretty much just repeat the process that we used to transfer the sketch. First resize the document to 2048x2048, and crop the document. Zoom out and frame the tool to the whole document. Deselect edit mode, hold '`', and tile the tool.

Step6.jpg

Select the mRGBZ grabber tool and drag across the whole image. All we need for now is the image that the grabber gives in the Alpha slot. Remember that these textures are always vertically flipped, so you may have to flip it back if needed.

Step7.jpg

Once you have the alpha saved from the mRGBZ grab, create a new document and create/import a new plane. Go into edit mode and subdivide the geometry as needed. With the alpha selected in the alpha slot, click mask by alpha under the masking menu.

Step8.jpg

Deselect the ViewMask option under masking so that you can properly see the depth of the deformation that you will apply. Under the deformation menu, set the offset axis to 'z' (you will also have to deselect the 'x' axis). Offset the tool by a negative value to recreate the sculpt you had on the new plane. Once it's to a depth that you like, make sure you clear the mask, then begin sculpting again.

You will likely have to repeat the last few steps several times to get the whole texture sculpted evenly and seamlessly.

More to come soon...
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    thanks for sharing that !

a few questions:
    why don't you use the plane3D tool and subdivide it with smooth turned off (Smt)? since its UVed entirely to the 0-1 range i don't understand the necessity to import another mesh.

couldn't you paint the layout in photoshop with the potential aid of underlying rock textures as guides and just import that as a texture?

another note: there are flip options in the texture menu which might save you the flipping of the textures later on.

looking forward to updates on this :)
    don't forget to record the sculpting process. You could probably upload the ZMovie and share that if you aren't comfortable with movie editing.

i'll definitely have to play around a bit with the malletfast and hpolish - not a combination ive used so far.
  • Khalamea
    Oh I've never used the plane3D tool, yeeeah that'd pretty much do the same thing as the imported plane just save a few steps.

As for the photoshop layout, you could definitely do that, it's just a matter of preference on how you want to layout the texture. I like to make mine from scratch, usually combining elements that I see in several textures. For that personally I feel the zBrush tiling is more intuitive than the offset in photoshop.

As for the movie, I've never used ZMovie so I'll have to look up the details of it. I sort of already started sculpting, but I do the same thing throughout the whole texture any ways.

Thanks for pointing those out though!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Looking good, thanks for explaining things!
  • Khalamea
    So I tried using the zMovie to record my sculpting but... it crashed my zbrush several times.... which brings me to another important tip. SAVE FREQUENTLY D:
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    awesome thanks for the explination, really handy writeup. couldnt you use wrap mode to make it so you can sculpt to the edges seamlessly though? or atleast mostly seamlessly, im sure you would have to offset at the end to be sure.
  • Khalamea
    Sorry this is taking me a while to finish, stuff has been crazy here lately. I probably won't be posting over the next week either as I will be out of town. I have the sculpt finished which I will be posting the rest of the progression on soon, then will do a separate post for the coloring phase of the tutorial.

PixelMasher - I have never used wrap mode before so I don't know how it works. I googled it up real quick to see and it's something that I'll have to play around with to answer for sure. The examples I saw of it didn't look as good for organic tileable textures, but I won't really know until I fiddle around with it. If someone else has experience with it though, I'm interested in learning the method
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    doesn't really work too well in my experience since a lot of brushes offset the geometry in the x and y direction as well, especially if you have a slope at the edge and the brush samples the normals from that. you'd still have to go through the displacement map process at least once, probably twice to fix the seams.

progress is looking good :)
  • reanimate
    Offline / Send Message
    reanimate polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry for thread necro but Khalamea image doesn't showed up, is there anybody who got the backup of his technique?
  • Eric Chadwick
    I looked for any backups, but couldn't find them. However the text is pretty clear, and she shows the end results at the top of the thread. Not hard to figure out.
  • reanimate
    Offline / Send Message
    reanimate polycounter lvl 10
    I looked for any backups, but couldn't find them. However the text is pretty clear, and she shows the end results at the top of the thread. Not hard to figure out.

I see, well guess i can just try it directly.
    Thanks man
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Could you maybe reupload the images.. thant would be great ;) !

Thanks alot!
  • Peh
    Could you maybe reupload the images.. thant would be great2 ;) !

Thanks alot!
  • sav000
    nice rocks man, thanks for sharing