Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - The Wrestler

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Hoy,

I thought it would be fun to sculpt a wrestler type character. Nothing too fancy in terms of detail, just make a big muscular chap.

Started off with a quick z-sphere sketch in ZBrush, cleaned it up in Max and then brought it back for sculpting. Boots and mask were created in Max and then sculpted on in ZBrush.

Im not sure how much further im going to take him, maybe add finer details or create a game mesh version.

EDIT, Veryyy quickly roughed in the knee braces and laces at the back of the mask. I think more attire will detract from the main bulk of the figure so this is limit of what I want to add.

3326ov7.jpg

Replies

• Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    Really cool Baj! I'm pretty sure wrestling masks have laces in the back so they are really secure and don't accidentally come off during the match. If you do end up taking this further, I think you could add a few things to make him resemble a wrestler a bit more. Stuff like hand wraps, elbow/knee pads, and knee braces are pretty common among wrestlers. If you are going for more of a Luchador feel they usually have really intricate masks as well. And of course there is always the big ole championship belt too.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    That's really looking good so far! I'm actually working on a few similar wrestlers, only in 2d, so I'll be checking this out. Really digging the proportions.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

regarding attire, I may give him some knee braces and add laces in the mask however I really want to keep the body the main focus here so simplicity is key.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    What brush do people use for those tight wrinkles?
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great,no crits here :D
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frell:

To do wrinkles on the clothes, I use the inflate brush at a setting of around 25-40 with gravity set to high and lazy mouse on. I then use the smooth brush to soften the end of the crease where it starts to flatten again on the material.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, biggest neck muscles I've ever seen.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veryyyyyy subtle changes here.

* Changed the curvature of the trapezius a little so that the curve flows better with the shoulders.

* Softened the chest and arm muscles to give a more aged look.

* Added a little gravity to the skin to show slight sagging.

I've decided to definitely work on a low poly version and get it fully animated. Capping the model off at about 6'000 tri's.

opmsjr.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Really dig the overall proportions of this guy! Great Job!
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the style you go going on with this guy! Cant wait to see him textured!!
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demilich polycounter lvl 8
    awesome proportions man. killer design
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    looking good so far, I'm diggin' the proportions. Think you could send me that matcap your using there?
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

the mapcap is available from www.selwy.com. Just have a search through his site.

Some inspiring art on there as well :D.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, yah actually I had those at one point, it was a whole collection of Matcaps created by Adam Lewis, but it's nothing but dead links now. you wouldn't be able to compress those and email/upload them for me would you? I've been looking for that matcap set forever.
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice and very interesting my only opinion is that his legs are not very toned they look quite plain imo
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    There's some noticeable anatomical inaccuracies with the neck, back and shoulder - mostly with the and origin and insertions, though the proportions are fun.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His traps are way too high to his head. That is the most annoying thing about the model.

For his legs, I'd say they're too big. Pencil-leg him because you don't see legs that big on wrestlers really.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback.
    really nice and very interesting my only opinion is that his legs are not very toned they look quite plain imo

Initially I had intended for the figure to be quite large in bulk however I didnt want his muscles to be overly "ripped" but rather indicate aging which is why his legs look so soft. However in retrospect I probably should have softened the upper half more to make it work better.
    There's some noticeable anatomical inaccuracies with the neck, back and shoulder - mostly with the and origin and insertions

Whilst I have tried to exaggerate the proportions in places, there is no excuse for bad anatomy. I'd be greatful if you could point out the specific problem areas as i've been looking at this mesh quite a lot so I don't notice issues as well as I did at the beginning.
    His traps are way too high to his head. That is the most annoying thing about the model.

For his legs, I'd say they're too big. Pencil-leg him because you don't see legs that big on wrestlers really.

The reason for his traps extending up to the back of his neck was to try and show his head sinking into to his body emphasizing his great bulk. His upper body is supposed to be quite large in contrast with his head.

Initially I tried experimenting with the legs, trying to make it smaller so he would appear more gorilla like however I found that this contrasted way to much and appeared too "comical" so I decided to give him reasonably sized legs. After some feedback today ive decided to make the calf muscles smaller so they don't look too disproportionate to the quadriceps.

I did finish working on the low poly for this character the other day and have just finished rendering the normals/AO maps. The final tri count is around 6'362 triangles (includes eyes, mouthsock, tongue and teeth) and is currently being animated on. I should have the texture finished by the end of the week.

wk0mpt.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looking very sexy. Doest look like a 6.5k tri model atall :)
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good, man. Nice work! :D
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Whilst I have tried to exaggerate the proportions in places, there is no excuse for bad anatomy. I'd be greatful if you could point out the specific problem areas as i've been looking at this mesh quite a lot so I don't notice issues as well as I did at the beginning.

No problem. Starting at the top, I don't really buy into the trapezius, particularly the clavicle section, it appears too deep. Can't comment on the lateral deltoid from these views but the posterior head shouldn't connect to the traps like that and theres no sense of the long head of the tricep. Theres also no hint of scapula - which throws off the whole back (teres major/minor/infraspinatus). The lats feel very thin too, where they should be thicker, especially for someone of this size. I'd look at the flexors of the forearm and some attention to the elbow region too. Legs are not revealed too much so I'll save that.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Super, Unfortunately due to time constrictions I have had to continue with the character as he is however I will definitely take it on board for my next character.

Regarding the texturing, I've started working on the texture for the character. I'm still messing with Marmoset's settings to get a good screenshot.

16hti0j.jpg
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    ah man thats fucking great!

good work
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really great work on that texture! His elbows seem really messed up to me though.