Home General Discussion

BEWARE TEH LIGHTSABERZ!!

Replies

• Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    KhAoZ wrote: »
    http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/06/16/deadly-star-wars-lightsaber-wicked-lasers/

Spyder%20Laser%20Pointer_doomsday_604x341.jpg

I think I am actually going to get one, so tempting... :)

Under $200 it says!

hmmm :) "A handheld laser likened to a Star Wars lightsaber -- and so powerful it can instantly blind and "set fire to skin and other body parts" -- can be bought readily (and inexpensively) online."

i like the sound of that
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Good thing you have 2 eyes.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    someone should make Cyclops' glasses to shoot optic blasts out of their eyes (X men)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    jesus...instant permanent blindness, lights skin on fire. Seriously what is the practical use for this in the public? Some jackass takes one to say a mall or public park and just starts shining it all over the place or even better a free way overpass or near an airport.

Normally I'm all for cool gadgets but seriously this is just retarded on the levels of I can't even understand.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    jesus...instant permanent blindness, lights skin on fire. Seriously what is the practical use for this in the public? Some jackass takes one to say a mall or public park and just starts shining it all over the place or even better a free way overpass or near an airport.

Normally I'm all for cool gadgets but seriously this is just retarded on the levels of I can't even understand.

Agreed. This will only result in some innocent person suffering due to some dumb kid getting hold of one. They should be illegal tbh.

"lets go shine it at the cars on the motorway"
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    My eyes hurt just reading this...scary stuff.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the haters :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

I would have to agree.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    well... maybe they'll stop throwing bricks off bridges into traffic once they have that.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I love the haters :)

Haters? And just how old are you now? You really can't see the reasoning behind how dumb this is?

I totally agree with Jesse. A friend sent me a link to this earlier in the week and I thought the same thing.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you not a fan of Star Wars or something?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am probably the biggest star wars nerd on here, statues, figures, props, replicas, busts, toys, posters, everything. BUT I don't need a fucking laser pointer that can instantly blind someone out on the market...

Master Replicas and now Hasbro has taken over the line and they make light sabers that do indeed light up and make noise and look awesome and the best part about them. THEY DON'T BLIND OR BURN YOU!
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a lightsaber, not a laser pointer... get it right damn it. :)

But seriously don't you think its cool that there is actually a real-life light saber?? I mean I still remember that documentary where the entire thing was devoted to proving that its impossible to actually have them and wha-la here they are!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    my first reaction was , oh awesome. but then like you dudes i realized there are way too many idiots out there, no doubt someone would bounce it off something and blind either themselves or someone else. honestly I cant see the use for this other than setting things on fire, the dangers out weigh the awesomeness i think, besides a lighter is 200x cheaper.

i wouldnt call it a lightsaber, its not a fixed beam that slices things, just a super powerful laser pointer. a fixed length beam would be awesome if it could slice things like hand held cutting sheet metal or something.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Are you not a fan of Star Wars or something?

You fail. At life.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You fail. At life.

Thanks!
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    The differences between this and a lightsaber are so drastic that the comparison isn't even reasonable.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    jakelear wrote: »
    The differences between this and a lightsaber are so drastic that the comparison isn't even reasonable.

The main one being:

If I stand 20 paces from you, and point my lightsaber at your face, it means "let's go, sucka!"

If I stand 20 paces from you, and point one of these at your face, you're going to the hospital.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you guys looking at the same picture as me? lol
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    dude, it's just a blue laser housed inside a light saber handle, if it's anything like a green laser the beam is visible in the dark. But it isn't a 3 foot beam, it's visible for hundreds of feet. A guy got arrested a little while back on charges of trying to blind helicopter pilots with a green laser.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    a fixed length beam would be awesome if it could slice things like hand held cutting sheet metal or something.

yet even then, there would still be idiots out there in this world.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Khaoz, where did you get the idea that the laser just stops after 3 feet? This thing is a fucking laser pointer that can burn you, blind you and give you CANCER. Sounds real cool...
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First we need to event a way for light to end at a fixed point without mirrors before we can call it a true lightsaber. @KhAoZ, You didn't actually read the article did you?
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    haha light saber ... pffft ...

only fool who think that is light saber ... :p
    sorry for those who want to buy it because of star wars ... ,
    those people doesn't have equal knowledge to real science after all ....
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    xvampire wrote: »
    haha light saber ... pffft ...

only fool who think that is light saber ... :p
    sorry for those who want to buy it because of star wars ... ,
    those people doesn't have equal knowledge to real science after all ....

QFT. they don't have equal knowledge to real science.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    blindness.. bah.. I want a laser that can do decapitation ..

oh yeah and will someone plleaaaasssee think about the children..
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    You fail. At life.

There are many WOW players who try to copy the gears of the lich king in real life and I dont see anyone telling them "that they fail at life"

First of all, learn to respect the fans of every kind you'll get in this community because who knows, maybe he'll be working on the next up coming game that is related to what he/she is fan of.

Secondly, whoever passes such comments like "you fail" or "you fail at life" have redused their rep points to -20.

Thirdly and last, and I learned this manner here is that, learn to appreciate anything or everything instead of telling someone "OhUsuckGettaLifeIhateU"

Sorry guys this just reminded me of the trade chat in wow :(

/drama.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol.... its really not such a big deal. I mean its the closest thing you'll probably ever see to a lightsaber in my lifetime, thats why I was excited...you guys really are taking it too seriously haha
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    id say this is more on the level of a lightsaber, cuts steel like butter.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3hB1ssQwPg[/ame]
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    id say this is more on the level of a lightsaber, cuts steel like butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3hB1ssQwPg

And everyone loves butter.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    lol.... its really not such a big deal. I mean its the closest thing you'll probably ever see to a lightsaber in my lifetime, thats why I was excited...you guys really are taking it too seriously haha

shine it in your face and then tell us how big a deal it is :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    This is one of those things than actually needs to be banned. Even splash back from reflective surfaces could fuck up your eyes. I wonder how long it will be till we hear in the news that some retard kids blinded someone.

nightwarkr:[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRnoUNwFOkE[/ame]
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17

Get the fuck out. If you can't see the big deal here somethings wrong with you, not us. Shit like this has already happened with less powerful ones. People are retarded enough to go out and use it on people.

"Blue light hazard can cause BLINDNESS and not just color perception issues. The power of this laser is no joke, at 1W the Spyder III Pro Arctic is a Class 4 Laser. Do not allow unprotected eye exposure to diffusely scattered light from the beam terminating on a wall, the floor or other flat surface from this laser closer than 3 feet. Accidental eye exposure will definitely result in instant retina tissue damage even within just milliseconds of exposure. Direct eye contact with the beam or reflected will cause instant permanent damage and blindness. Sometimes blindness may take a day or longer for the onset. Unlike instant injury from a bright flash of a red or green laser, this effect is cumulative over 24 hours. It is also possible that such an exposure could cause retinal degeneration and even loss of vision later in life."

Milliseconds. Even if you cover your eyes in an instant, the second it touches your eyes you're fucked to some degree. If someone did this to me i'd beat his ass and make house calls every other month to reinflict damage. My eyes are crappy already and I think making them even more crappy wouldn't help in an industry where eyesight is our most important asset...

Sorry for the harsh tone guys but I'm pretty passionate about seeing. ;P
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Notorious P.I.G, it does make me think of the retarded kids in Roseng
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly. There was an incident at an airport somewhere here in Sweden aswell where they tried to blind the pilots. I think they actually managed to damage one pilots eye but they managed to land safely.

It's not a matter of if and hypothetical situations here. This shit is very real and it's already happening. People ARE this malicious and evil, mostly due to ignorance and stupidity. They can't think further than two seconds, "hur durr look at this bro! I'm gonna try to reach that plane".
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You want a laserpointer that looks like a lightsaber and WILL NOT destroy your eyes the instant it touches.. Here you go

I have this one and the Vader one.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Replicas-Lightsaber-Pointer/dp/B001233DSA[/ame]

51GjejrqT6L._SS500_.jpg
    51D3JfK0shL._SS500_.jpg
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah, that looks pretty cool, Jesse. Tempting...
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    There is tons of these attacks in the uk currently on going. These pilots and everyone, will be in extreme danger if these new ones are more prolific.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7990013.stm
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "
    Bob Jones, head of flight operations at the CAA, said: "To those individuals targeting aircraft with laser devices the message is clear - don't. You will be caught and you will be prosecuted and you could spend up to five years in prison. These things are not toys, they pose a serious risk to all flight safety.""

Now that's what I'm talking about.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Until I can cut through 30 inch hardened steel I am not sold... In all seriousness.. this is dumb on too many levels to count.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You want a laserpointer that looks like a lightsaber and WILL NOT destroy your eyes the instant it touches.. Here you go

I have this one and the Vader one.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Replicas-Lightsaber-Pointer/dp/B001233DSA

51GjejrqT6L._SS500_.jpg
    51D3JfK0shL._SS500_.jpg

ROFL, ok if its such a laser pointer, then why does the article specifically say that so many people are jumping at the chance to buy it, especially Star Wars fans??
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Correct me if I'm wrong, to get the laser to actually show you'd still need smoke or dust, no? So, more or less, it's still just a laser pointer :p

And yep, it's a fucking crap idea letting kids get hold of these ones.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khaoz what don't you understand about this? I guess that is why everyone on here is saying you didn't read the article.

It isn't a god damn lightsabers. Lightsabers do not exist and if they did they only have a blade so long.

THIS IS A GOD DAMN HIGH POWERED LASER POINTER!!! THAT WHEN COMES IN CONTACT WITH PEOPLE IT WILL BURN THEIR SKIN. IT WILL ALSO CAUSE PERMANENT VISION LOSS AS IN YOU WILL BE FUCKING BLIND FOREVER.

Those effects don't take repeated exposure. A fraction of a second of this beam hitting your eyes and you are a blind man! How in any way shape or form would that be cool or neat.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and for gods sake you are using a title from a fox news site to base your argument on. That right there already takes away 20 points of credibility.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think this dude is just a GD troll, in fact I don't think he's posted anywhere else in the entire forum.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually yeah. Rooster you are right. He has also had the bad habit of emailing board members and bugging them about how they got in the industry over and over and over even though people have actually answered his questions.

My guess is he isn't very old, mature or maybe he is actually this guy.

Haveyouseenmybaseball.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    There are many WOW players who try to copy the gears of the lich king in real life and I dont see anyone telling them "that they fail at life"

There is a HUGE fucking difference between someone who builds gear from there fav game and a laser that that will cause life long harm if it ever comes in contact with you. This isnt some laser Joe Blow off the street made because he likes star wars. It was engineered by a company with the idea in mind that it can harm an individual if used inappropriately.

A hand held laser likened to a Star Wars lightsaber
    FIRST FUCKING LINE OF THE ARTICLE. For god stakes actually read an article before you post it. Dont just skim the title and check out the pics. It clearly states in the first sentence its not a lightsaber. Its a laser.

People obviously compare it to one since they have a handle that looks like a lightsaber, they put a blue light in there, tossed around some fog (incase you didnt know thats the only way you will be able to see the beam, it wont actually show up without fog or dust) and if you "use" it on someone it will harm the fuck out of them.

There is no reason someone in the general public would need one of these for a beneficial reason and should be made illegal.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    This thing scares the shit out of me. It's not even a laser pointer anymore, it's a weapon. Now I get to be paranoid about going outside and having some retarded kid instantly blind me with his sweet sweet light saber. They need to make shit like this illegal some how.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It says you're "passionate about gaming, and hoping to get into game development", but you're showing yourself to be immature, bad at communicating with others, and dismissive of the opinion of those IN the industry. Which is a very, very small industry. Now I realise I can come across as a dick at times, so please don't take this as being vindictive or a threat, just realise that you're making yourself into a joke, and that is hardly conductive to realising your dreams.

People in this thread (many of who have kids of their own) are worried about the strength of this laser, given how easy it is to obtain, and probably annoyed that it's not ACTUALLY a lightsaber, which is what they were hoping to see when they clicked on this thread.