D'AWWWHHHHHHHHH (microsoft kinect)

Joseph Silverman
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_UZAsgep0w[/ame]

this does not belong in the thread of awesomeness;

this thread is now about cats.

Maybe i'm too casual or whatever, but this made me genuinely smile more than any videogame i've played since i was a little kid.

Replies

• Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, same. Might seem cheesy and "casual" but. Man, I'd buy this for a kid. The fur looks amazing too.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I totally felt like a pedo watching this maybe it was due to me watching it on g4tv with all the fap comments.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh dear god.

• Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    I WANTS IT ^_^
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    The entirety of the kinect presentation was one of the most disturbing things i've ever witnessed for many reasons.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    First we stroke a kitty, and within a year of release we'll be stroking a titty. I'm calling it right here.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta say the fur on that tiger is really impressive though..
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    no god no
    I don't want to have to stand up in my living room and flail around to play video games ever again.
    I ALLOWED IT WITH NO MORE HEROES, WARIO WARE AND MARIO, BUT NEVER AGAIN
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    This one looks staged, the screen one moves, and then the other guy does it to match him. :D

eld wrote: »
    340x.gif
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Vid is a bit too paedoy for me, but that guy in the GIF is CLEARLY faking it lol... Anakins arm swings back before the guys does.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gif is from a few days ago, and yeah clearly faked.

Supposedly actual starwars gameplay here. Looks pretty fake too:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDIz3-oSUiA[/ame]
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    yep, the point of the gif :)
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    SupRore wrote: »
    gif is from a few days ago, and yeah clearly faked.

Supposedly actual starwars gameplay here. Looks pretty fake too

More important...looks pretty lame...
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    gotta give em props for being the first ones to really implement the whole star trek talk-to-the-computer thing

Xbox, pause. Xbox, video chat. Xbox, get me laid.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Ferg wrote: »
    Xbox, get me laid.

I would buy ten.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Euuuuuugh star wars. When I saw Lucas Art I was being utterly dumb and thinking: OH MY GOD A OLD STYLE ADVENTURE GAME WITH THIS WOULD BE AWESOME! SOLVING PUZZLES! INITIATING CONVERSATION! And then I realized Lucas only has one cow, a dead one, that they keep getting milk out of, SOMEHOW.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Euuuuuugh star wars. When I saw Lucas Art I was being utterly dumb and thinking: OH MY GOD A OLD STYLE ADVENTURE GAME WITH THIS WOULD BE AWESOME! SOLVING PUZZLES! INITIATING CONVERSATION! And then I realized Lucas only has one cow, a dead one, that they keep getting milk out of, SOMEHOW.

QFT

Thought i was the only one who thought this online star wars was overrated. It's going to be a dumbed down version of wow that Warhammer online has already proven is not profitable. Also backstory might compensate for poor gameplay in other bioware games, but it doesn't cut it in an MMO.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    http://games.ign.com/articles/109/1096907p1.html

i was there, it was pretty sad. i am just wondering what is the exact reason microsoft is faking it all. everything at the event last night was so obviously prerendered footage with people trying to mime actions over it, i couldn't of cringed harder if i saw my mom in a bukakke video.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking that too. Maybe the crazy light or environment fucks up how the Kinect works. Come to think of it, did anyone see the thing being connected to anything by cable? <.<
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Talked to someone on the starwars team, they said they used a video for the presentation because they were worried about crashes, but that the game actually is pretty damn fun and works quite well. Pretty sure this person would have said it sucked if it really did.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah sure...developers/publishers tend to say the truth when their products suck...all they have in mind is the players' fun...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, they're most likely to lie to you if they're just members of the team and you're their friend. It's all part of the evil scheme!

Arsh, that article is about the kinect unviel yesterday, not this show today. Were you at it, or this one today?

If you were at the one today, interested in giving up your free xbox out of disappointment? :p
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i was at the event last night, today i had a few meetings with old friends and i don't really have a hookup for the press stuff. there was a good mix of press and devs there last night. i think i was just expecting so much more, i was really excited from the idea, i am pretty sure my high expectations are fostering my current cynicism.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Two things..

1. I'm against this game, it is teaching our youth to trust tigers... which is clearly going to put them in danger later in life.

2. That comment about tits... Vivid's: Sex Fitness... get in shape with pelvic thrusts and rigorous arm motions, featuring Jenna Jameson.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    arshlevon wrote: »
    i was at the event last night, today i had a few meetings with old friends and i don't really have a hookup for the press stuff. there was a good mix of press and devs there last night. i think i was just expecting so much more, i was really excited from the idea, i am pretty sure my high expectations are fostering my current cynicism.

I find it hard to have high expectations really, since the system is such an obviously deficient control method for almost all games. It requires too much free space, too much motion, and too much making a fool of yourself.

Now what would be an excellent usage of the technology would be delicate mapping of your hands, allowing you to use gestures to do what you would with a controller. Hand position could be left/right analog stick, finger poses are commands, or something like that.

But still, I'd rather have an ergonomic controller that won't destroy my muscles after an hour.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd like it if natal just allowed you to lean left and right in a FPS by leaning your body, I dunno what else it could be used for in a normal game practically. I did kinda like the idea of the jumping/ducking games.
  • catstyle
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    i loved the bit in the pitch for kinect about having to remember those tricky remote control buttons.....I was like, yeah Damn play buttons are confusing, what I need is a £200 way to shout at my T.V.

kinect not for me at the moment but its very clever I'm sure.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    vcortis wrote: »
    rigorous arm motions
    shake.gif

Personally I think the kinect is a bit like the wiimote and eyetoy. Fun for parties and dicking around, but not going to revolutionize the world of gaming.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This is worse than a wiimote IMO. You now NEED to move your whole body, rather than fooling the system.
    Personally, I live in a house with a basement, and with adults jumping up and down, things will start shaking and falling off walls. No way I can see using this in my living room for games like that Track and Field game.
    I can also see that driving game getting damn tiring on the arms. There is a reason NASCAR drivers sit close to their steering wheels. It reduces arm fatigue by not having their arms straight out.

There are a few features I like about it, but not really anxious to go get one.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, with this Kinect they arent supporting the couch potato ethos of gaming.

Probable warnings on back of game boxes after litigations.

WARNING YOU MUST BE FIT TO PLAY THIS GAME OR CARDIAC ARREST MAY RESULT

WARNING IF UNABLE TO DANCE YOU MAY LOOK LIKE A TWAT

PLAYING GAME MAY RESULT IN PEODOPHILIA
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, i can see the argument that these games wont be fun, but too much effort to stand up and move around? Seriously guys?

If you're really in bad enough shape that you cant comfortably stand/move around for an hour or two then you need to find healthier shit to do with your time than videogames anyway, not complain that microsoft or sony or nintendo isnt catering to your implausibly sedentary lifestyle.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I want Mayo on my burger I'll ask you for it, but damn it, don't assume that's what I want.

Same goes for games.

This is a poor substitute for actual physical activity. I Don't think that I want to be force feed pseudo physical activity when I'm doing sedentary activities. Whats next mandatory running while reading? When I want to sit on my couch and not move, I will find activities that enable me to do that, sadly they won't be from this vein of games.

when I want physical activity I'll go do just that, but shuffling my feet, ducking and hoping isn't something I would call a work out.

I don't want to spider crawl across my ceiling and back flip into the splits to get an achievement for torn tendons. I play games to do what my mortal body can't, its sad to think that we're now starting to limit games to what the body can do...

This gravy train left the station about 4 years ago. This was time and money better spent on other things. Those who have left MS recently probably saw this failure coming... and wanted to get out before the mockery and scorn fully set in.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it's not meant to be a substitute for physical activity is it. it's branching off into a different and new gaming experience that looks like it will appeal to the type of people who previously wouldnt have had any interest in the xbox

i doubt ill ever buy one, but i bet it will do alright
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, um, I don't get the connection. People don't like to look like a fool, make pointless gestures to play a game, and that automatically means they are unconditioned slobs? Like Vig said, I have other (fun) ways to get my physical activity if that's what I'm seeking out. For me, I'm playing my 360 for the entertainment and to relax.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Vig just owned MS.

You know what's better than jumping up and down like an idiot and rolling on the ground to get physical activity?

Actually working out or playing sports.

After I'm done running 3 miles the last thing I want to do when I turn on my xbox is to wave my arms around and jump in place in some mediocre game while pseudo exercising.

Their might be some interesting games with this in a party setting... but seriously 90% of this looks like garbarage.

The technology has the potential to be something interesting in the future, but not now... not with what I've seen.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Standing Room Only
    According to the developers who gave us demos, Kinect only works when you stand. This includes menu navigation. All the cool options to grab a slider and advance through frames of a movie you are watching only work when you are on your feet. Kinect, we've been told, has problems handling your skeletal frame while sitting.
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1099085p1.html

Is anyone shocked?

I have worked with $100k's worth of highly calibrated motion capture equipment consisting of 24 IR cameras, neoprene suits loaded with reflective markers, all set up in a carefully controlled 30'x30' environment, top of the line computer, and the system STILL had trouble resolving skeletal motion.

How on earth will a glorified web cam do better than that?
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    This brings back one of my earliest Christmas memories. For months I begged my parents and all my relatives for a VirtualBoy. It was all that I wanted in the world and I just knew that I would never need anything else as long as I lived. Santa was good to me that year. My parents and grandparents together managed to pool their resources and scrape together enough money to buy me both a VirtualBoy and a Powerglove!

Its heart warming to know that this generation will get to learn that same life lesson the just the way that I did.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    First off, the Kinect is not a requirement for any "hardcore" game it's added to - it's just an optional controller.

Secondly, it's not meant to be a total substitute to exercise, but to encourage physical activity in general. Afterall, if exercise isn't fun, it makes it a lot harder to do.

Much like the Wii is a party game console, so is the Kinect device. I thought it was complete shit when I first heard about it (like I did the Wii). But working on it and actually playing Forza in a big group with the other artists, it's pretty damned fun. It gets competitive and it's definitely entertaining.

Like Ferg mentioned from one of his friends, yes, most of the Kinect demos were pre-captured video. This was done do prevent bugs or crashes (Nintendo) but in the end showed it's colors anyways. I know that we don't even have final Kinect hardware yet in our studio, so the possible hardware differences might have been another key reason for faking the presentations.

I'm not sure how MS is going to use the device in the future. Perhaps they're only going to use it for casual content - I don't know. Like the PSMove, it'll be interesting to see where it goes and how it's used.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i want a 1:1 boxing game.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bet both will fail...the whole concept is flawed...the complete target group is saturated with Wii games...they won't buy the same shit again for a more expensive console just for (slightly) better graphics...the people who have a XBox or PS3 in general don't want to jump around in front of the TV, flailing their arms around like a retard (I sure don't...)...if I have the time to play, I want to relax on my couch...

The sad thing is, Micro and Sony are depending on these gimmicks (they're really no more than that) to save the industry...or they would have had other stuff to show on E3...a failure could kill them both...
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I'm fairly certain there is no way Sony or Microsoft could be "killed" simply by throwing themselves at motion control.
    For both companies, video games are only a small fraction of what they do, though it's become larger lately, and you know people will still buy these things, and even if they don't, they have enough funding to continue creating normal games, etc.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Kind of surprised to see that hardly anyone here can see the potential this has? Sure the launch games are novelties, but this technology is the next step into gaming/game design if you ask me!

And for those of you who are too lazy to move:
    129205850700877407.jpg
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    To be honest the most exicting motion tracking thing I've seen is at the end of this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw[/ame]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Problem:
    Our hardware is really starting to show its age. Devs are complaining that they are tired of dealing with the bottle necks and are considering ... gasp releasing games on the PC again!? What do we do...?

Resulting Brainstorming Session:

Relax, I've got it all figured out. We copy the wii's success from 4 years ago! Brilliant!
    But wait, aren't people over that? What about the frustrating bugs and annoying calibration issues?
    Someone fire him?
    Brilliant!
    Lets demo it...
    Oh this sucks who made this!?
    err you did sir...
    umm... errr... I think ya know what, its time for me to retire. Have fun at E3 guys! I'm not going to be the laughing stock of E3... again!

Why it is doomed to fail:
    They faked it to show off how good it will be! If they aren't confident enough to actually use it then I'm not that confident they will work out the bugs between now and whenever they need to stop making it suck. They need to stop tinkering soon to make enough to satisfy their ship date of Nov. They probably need to stop in July or August sometime which means we're looking at the final product with a few minor tweaks.

Since its optional, it probably won't be designed specifically for, but more or less made sure its compatible. Which really means devs don't thinks its worth it to spend too much time on. Since its optional gamers are not going to use it. They'll use the method they're comfortable with and gives them the most precision.

Exhibit A)
    Nintendo classic controllers are banned from most Mario cart wii sessions.
    Waving your arms around is fun for the first 5 min, but it pretty much guarantees your about as effective as a baby seal, on free bat day, at a fur traders convention.

Exhibit B)
    There are mountains of text written yearly about how PS3 idiots can't use Xbot controllers and vice versa let alone getting either to use a keyboard/mouse. If they can't stand plastic that feels slighting different. What makes you think they'll throw down their controller and pay a bunch of money for an inaccurate gimmick?

Why even their backwards logic will fail:

Even if they manage to get the boat out of port its headed for ice berg alley.

Ahh but Exhibit A/B, those are hardcore guys they're going after the casual I don't care if I win crowd? They do care if they win, give one of them a classic controller and watch the good times go south. They already bought a wii and had their fun. It was at a price point that they could write it off. They aren't likely to own an xbox so they won't get the upgrade, and they aren't going to buy the bundle which will probably be about the same price as buying a wii and a xbox together.

So who's buying it? A handful of loyal fans that must collect all the hardware or they won't feel complete. But are they going to use it? No of course not. That's not why they will buy it.

Lastly, it's not an attempt to make gamers more healthy, its an attempt to copy a past successful fad (or many failed ones). As long as gamers buy stuff they don't care what shape they're in.

ProTip
    : The time to steal an idea from Nintendo is before it goes to market, not 4 years later.

The wii was successful because it was first, they already had the tech (power glove and game cube) and they put it at a price point that was a stretch but easy enough to reach. I think MS has spent too much, will price it too high and it won't work like they hope.

It was money better spent as a down payment on future hardware. They have successfully made themselves weaker going into the next hardware battle... congratulations you're finding out you can't spend your way to success.

Considering most of the games we make play on these peoples hardware, I'm very worried about the dumb ideas the cook up and how unsuccessful they are. They can only spend their way to a "success" so many times. I don't care how big of a tank you have, if you don't have plans to fill it back up, you're doomed to fail. Get off your ass MS, stop doing retarded stuff and make some money.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont think it will flop, as long as the games are fun

i think people will find this fun, and it's only just a small taste of what you can do

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFIQ4NPf7ys[/ame]

im surprised they didnt show this in the presentation instead, it would have been much more impressive than the tacky show they did
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have love to see what would have happened if that hottie model wouldnt have moved
    at all. I guess there would have been very obvious magnetic guidelines pulling you through the
    map.
    This is just another step into a brainless casual gamer world i dont want to be part of.