Home General Discussion

Things that you LOVE in games

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
Let's go the other direction. What are some things that you absolutely adore in games?

Replies

• ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Deep, well balanced upgrade systems.
  • Moosey_G
  • Mazvix
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Insane amounts of depth, attention to detail.
    Anything that is unnecessarily in depth.
    Ridiculous gore.
    Also, environment destruction, particularly that of buildings, and tactical RPGs such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, Tactics Ogre, and their ilk. As well as the Silent Storm series, even though they're broken at times. Ridiculous amounts of weapons, randomly generated content, especially loot and environments. The ability to use anything as a weapon, furniture, garbage, whatever. Physics.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Memorable characters.
    Good story.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Asherr wrote: »
    Memorable characters.
    Good story.

Seconded :D
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awarding you for going out of your way to explore the environment.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    good, original story
    intuitive easy to pick up mechanics/gameplay
    mix of intense and fluid action
    unique and artistic look
    optionally, deep customization
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    Being taken completely by surprise and not feeling like invisible walls or unrealistic obstructions are keeping me from going somewhere.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exploration. Wandering around and being pleasantly surprised at the amount of content that is off the rail.

Games with high replay value and awesome puzzles.

Games that don't assume I'm a ADD riddled pre-teen with the attention span of a goldfish.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Maps that aren't too restrictive, linear gameplay is lame, I like to flank.

Environments that you explore, rather than re-walk through ten times, or ones that are seemingly random hallways that you run through once. Halo 1 and the zelda games have a nice balance of being opening to exploration, and you travels through and around places you've already been, without making it boring, it makes the environment seem more epic and important, and massive, and less level based.

Decent controls, and a decent camera

good characters that aren't stiff.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Dwarf Fortress! ie, simulated relationships and interaction.

In an action game, first or third person, I absolutely LOVE good controls. Just stuff that feels and animates nice, while still allowing the player precise control. I thought Prototype felt great, once you got used to the movement abilities. For some reason I also like Valve's whole crouch-jumping mechanic. Maybe this is why I like Metroidvania games? Control + exploration, yess.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    good a.i., and not simply in the "I never fucking miss because I'm the computer" sense. And all around beautiful imagery. sucker for that. The story doesn't have to be groundbreaking or even very original really, as long it's fun to play.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    - Being able to see places in the distance and travel to them directly, on foot or mount/vehicle
    - Extensive moddability in a PC game. Increases the game's value so much. NWN, etc...

Proof of both, what I'm playing right now:

morrowind20100613001738.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    atmospheric music, maybe the most underestimated aspect of games
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Vrav wrote: »
    - Being able to see places in the distance and travel to them directly, on foot or mount/vehicle
    - Extensive moddability in a PC game. Increases the game's value so much. NWN, etc...

Proof of both, what I'm playing right now:

morrowind20100613001738.jpg

I came.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Asherr wrote: »
    Memorable characters.
    Good story.

Totally agree.

Also well scripted liner gameplay. WHAT YOU SAY? Yes set driven liner gameplay is ALWAYS better then games that are so open ended. (This dosnt apply to MMO's though) Games like Uncharted 2, Half Life 2, Modern Warfare are so much more enjoyable because of the games are so liner that they force you to experience these awesome set pieces the game developers work on. They make you play through a wonderfly crafted experience which would be much harder and you will generally miss stuff like that with to much freedom.

Then again I do love open ended go where ever the hell you want like Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption and stuff like that too.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Well done sound (ambient, music, fx)
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Games that assume I am intelligent enough to play them...I love complex RPG systems that allow me to experiment and, most important of all, to fail...games, where I win no matter what I do, are boring.

Oh...and great atmosphere...Dead Space...I can play this for hours, just looking at the environment and feeling desolate...
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    pestibug wrote: »
    Well done sound (ambient, music, fx)

i remember playing oblivion and the sound transitioning from wet footsteps to dry when you walked out of a lake blew me away for some reason.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    -Being billed as a total badass and then actually being able to live up to it by taking opponents apart with ease, ie: Crysis, most of Prototype

-Nice meaty gun sounds with accompanying effect.

-Believable character interaction

-Force choke. Force joke is the best thing ever.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    mount and blade:

training a huge army of heavily armoured swadian knights, and watch them flatten 50 forest bandits in less than 10 seconds.
    solo-raiding villages, and having a hundred angry peasants attack you with sticks and stones. then cutting them all down with a large 2-handed sword.

TF2:

on the servers with cheater engineers building multiple turrets, sneak past the horde, and then sap every single turret.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Oblivion2008-02-1704-48-34-27.jpg

THIS. My god, so stunning.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Oblivion was bad and you should feel bad for enjoying it.

Kidding of course; I had my share of fun but always felt that it was a step back from Morrowind. The omni-present level scalling made it boring to me; there was no sense of danger or exploration since everything was revolving around the player. In Morrowind on the other hand, I felt like I was a part of a bigger thing; even at low levels I could find some godlike loot, or get myself killed like a little bitch while minding my own business. Unfortunately, this kind of risk-and-reward system doesn't exist in Oblivion (unless you install OOO) and it's one of the reasons why I could never fully enjoy the game.

Secretly, I'm hoping that Bethesda will bring back Morrowind's atmosphere in an eventual sequel, but judging by Oblivion's sales I doubt it.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12

Kidding of course; I had my share of fun but always felt that it was a step back from Morrowind. The omni-present level scalling made it boring to me; there was no sense of danger or exploration since everything was revolving around the player. In Morrowind on the other hand, I felt like I was a part of a bigger thing; even at low levels I could find some godlike loot, or get myself killed like a little bitch while minding my own business. Unfortunately, this kind of risk-and-reward system doesn't exist in Oblivion (unless you install OOO) and it's one of the reasons why I could never fully enjoy the game.

Secretly, I'm hoping that Bethesda will bring back Morrowind's atmosphere in an eventual sequel, but judging by Oblivion's sales I doubt it.

This...Oblivion belongs in the other thread...nice visuals, but other than that at least two steps backwards from Morrowind...

And posting an Oblivian Screen in a thread with a Morrowind Screen should be awarded with insta-ban :poly124:
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Strong as fack narrative!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Games that allow you to take your time and search around to find the goods to be well strong before stepping into battle OR just going gung-hoe right in and being a badass.

Games that items are so useful and important to gameplay that you remember timeline of the game based on them.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Games that gives you an instant fear from a single sound or look, such as the monkey scream from System Shock 2, those f-er makes my skin crawl every time I hear them and expect to get hit by a psychic blast.
  • RAJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RAJ
    Games to do with Star Wars or warhammer 40K, I also like good gameplay and good multiplayer
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    McGreed wrote: »
    Games that gives you an instant fear from a single sound or look, such as the monkey scream from System Shock 2, those f-er makes my skin crawl every time I hear them and expect to get hit by a psychic blast.
    Or in SC2 when you hear a "nuclear launch detected", or a nydus worm go off.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Great looking hair!
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    dfacto wrote: »
    -Being billed as a total badass and then actually being able to live up to it by taking opponents apart with ease, ie: Crysis, most of Prototype

Totally agreed. And not in the "very brief scripted portion of game where you are 99% indestructible" sense, but "you generally ruin fools" sense.

Things I love:

- rewarding the use of lateral thinking rather than forcing the player to complete an objective in a single specific preordained way

- sweet 3D UIs

- villains who aren't the complete utter irredeemable baby-roasting spawn of mega-satan

- allies/squadmates/other NPCs who seem to know the main character personally rather than spewing empty ego-boosters ("Oh my god, you're that totally amazing warrior!") or pointless insults ("Well if it isn't that stupid warrior those peasants won't shut up about!").

- well-developed atmosphere/ambiance, including audio effects and music

- exploratory or player-driven (rather than player-funneling and hand-holding) gameplay

- fucking badass weapons that unlock for subsequent playthroughs, RE4 handcannon anyone?

- a sense of empowerment progression from start to finish by gaining weapons, armor, abilities, stat upgrades, cooler cars, whatever
  • Bunny Blanket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wide open worlds with original looking plants and building styles, as well as customized playable character.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    - Being able to play enemy factions off one another so the entire game isn't just 'universe vs. you' (eg: watching the military and mutants duke it out in Prototype then running in at the right time to brutalize both of them).

- AI teammates who are more than just 'not a liability' and actually help you out to a decent degree (eg: Mass Effect 2, Tales of the Abyss, I-wish-there-were-far-more-examples-of-this).

- Silenced Sniper Rifles (eg: Deus Ex, circling a building, watching patrols, slowly taking out every single guy before even stepping inside).

- Choices that matter (eg: The Witcher where decisions on who to help changes the game hours later because you screwed a faction you now have to deal with).

- Atmosphere (eg: SS2, STALKER, Ico & SotC)
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stories that don't underestimate the players intelligence level.

Japanese games that include the original japanese audio track with the ability to turn on subtitles.

Ambitious gameplay. Even if the game ends up not working well, I appreciate developers that stray from the norm.

Also throw me into the Morrowind over Oblivion crowd. Oblivion got seriously dumbed down and the fact that Bethesda wouldn't release an official model exporter made me profoundly disappointed.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    detail visuals. great controls. interesting story. chrs u care about. awesome music like silent hill. etc...
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    good story
    unique non-cliche characters
    paid DLC which offers more than 10 minutes worth of gameplay
    free content patches (e.g. LotRO)
    console/PC ports where the devs properly adjusted the controls for the respective target platform
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vision. Originality. Satisfying, tactile gameplay. Atmosphere. Mystery. Inspiration. Great-sounding guns.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Agreed, but oscuros oblivion overhaul mod fixes all that and is insanely popular, and bethsoft knows that, they went back from the leveled monsters thing in fallout3 a bit more.

Hopefully they know that people went liked oblivion due to the fact of that it was easier to get into and had a better combat system and generally due to how it took the sandbox thing further, not because of the streamlined rpg-part, Hopefully they've had more time to go back and make more versatile skills again for the next title in the series.

But do get OOO, it's massive and makes oblivion way more like morrowind in terms of having a more static non-leveled layout of monsters, items and more of the explore and run away until you are stronger feeling, that and enhanced economy.

Once again back to: I love how bethsoft embraces the modding community and I hope they continue to do that, more games like that.

http://www.oscurogamedesign.com/oscurosoblivionoverhaul-high.html
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    @eld
    True, but unfortunately it doesn't fixes the main problems of boring world and caves, there is no motivation to explorer a new cave or ruin you found, because you know the stuff you find there isn't special, you don't find any cool artifacts there because the whole thing is random.

But OOO does makes it playable, and mods to fix the totally crappy interface helped as well. I just don't get how they could ship it like that, really. Modding really save the game imo.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, I still haven't been able to get into oblivion to the degree that I have gotten into fallout3 and morrowind, or daggerfall.

but as I said with fallout3, they really went back to having more custom-built exploration rather than randomly generated chests and monsters depending on your level, so hopefully a potential elderscrolls 5 will be better than oblivion, and this time around it'll take place in a more interesting place, considering LOTR-tamriel has been used up.

I want to explore the dungeons for the story behind them, not for some random loot within that would've popped up in any dungeon :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    -Jump button (auto-jump and 'glued to the ground' gameplay ftl)
    -Color booklets (I see it as a sign of a quality product)
    -Secrets in games that're unlocked by having saves from other games in the series or from the same company
    -Surreal stuff
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    -Secrets in games that're unlocked by having saves from other games in the series or from the same company

quest for glory style!!! man that was rpg to the extreme. importing a char that would have been otherwise unavailable was such a gr8 effort. do any other games still do that?

qfgchar.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Stab, sap, sap, sap, stab, stab, headshot, cloak. Repeat.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Tim Schafer.

That about covers it.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Characters, story and most importantly jokes that are not forced upon you but that you may discover for yourself.