Home General Discussion

TF2 Now on Mac

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usually the severs are prefaced with pro/noob or some variation.
    a word of advice, don't spend an hour warming up by dominating a noob server and then jumping into a pro (like cgtalk), it makes for a brutal realization of ability
  • Karkasmolenklok
    ES_139 wrote: »
    it just seems your coming off as quite aggressive towards Apple, its founders and its consumers.
    My ire is directed not at people who use the product, but at people who have this smug attitude about it (the irritating fanboy culture) and the fact that that is what the whole thing is targeted towards.

If any of you are offended by it, then in all likelihood it is because you are one of those fanboys, and not just a run-of-the-mill apple user who couldn't give two shits about it.

If any of you feel that my discussion style is too aggressive, then I invite you not to respond to me, which might have been a better plan in the first place for those who seem to feel the need to address me personally rather than the merits of my arguments regarding the subject.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Okay let the kid have his tantrum then.
    Anyone played this on MAC yet? How does it perform?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i noticed guys wearing the earplugs leave these tiny little music note particles floating about, hehe
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Okay let the kid have his tantrum then.
    See, there you go; you're not discussing my point at all, you're just taking a petty little jab.

Who are you to be calling anyone 'kid'? You're certainly not older than me, and any pretense to maturity is gone with your comment.

It's a legitimate criticism of Valve's practices, and people feeling the need to make it a personal issue smacks of...well, taking it personally.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Jeez, drop it already. You, your credibility and the 'merits' of your arguments went out the window when you resorted to juvenile sarcasm and name-calling over the marketing and promotional tactics of a commercial business, so just can it - everyone stopped giving a shit on page two.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    If you didn't care, you wouldn't be arguing with me.

What's more, it shows that you care but don't have a legitimate response to the actual comments, and just want to continue the fight.

So what's it going to be? Going to drag it out a little more? You're even specifically taking time out to make excuses to argue about my character, basically pulling a "You started it!" tactic.

Why do you think it is you're so fired up about me thinking this is a shameful practice on the part of Valve? Do you feel like that's somehow a criticism of you? Or perhaps you feel the need to defend Valve's 'honor' from my statements?

Really, ask yourself: what are you actually arguing, and why?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    inflammatory statement
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    (I think people are arguing because you're being a huge fucking baby and throwing a widdle tanty)
    THIS.

Seriously I actually agree with some of your points karkas but, goddamn.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Why not ask yourself that?
    I think it's clear what I'm arguing;

That this is a shameful practice on Valve's part, and that they're doing something silly to appeal to an audience of insufferable fanboys.

Emphasis on insufferable.

As for the reason why I am arguing it, is because it is a point that needs be made, and the continued angry response to it reinforces, not weakens, my point.

If you really want me to stop arguing, then why in God's name would you respond to me, especially in an antagonistic manner? You clearly want this to continue or you'd shut up.
    I think people are arguing because you're being a huge fucking baby and throwing a widdle tanty
    Read this out loud to yourself, baby talk and all, and tell me you're the mature element of the argument.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Oh my God.

IT'S A VIDEO GAME.

Yes, that's right. A game.

This game is made by a company that likes making money. They're advertising, and that advertising means they're going to make more money. If you don't like the way the company makes money, stop supporting that company by not playing its game instead of being a whiny little fanboy on an internet forum.

ANYWAY.

I was playing with some of the CGTalk folks last night and a couple of them were really glad Macs were fully supported now because it meant more of their friends could play or they'd be able to stop playing on a Windows partition. I hope more game companies roll out Mac support.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know anybody that owns a mac, so guess this doesn't really affect me, still, cool to have more people to play with, maybe get some better servers up.
    Though, I don't really play the game anymore, i uninstalled it recently to free up 8 or so gigs for something that will remain unnamed BUT IS TAKING FOREVER to download.
    And yeah, i'm hoping valve announces something sweet at e3, specifically something half life ep 3 or half life 3 related. Heard they were introducing source engine 2, possibly? That'd be exciting, the current engine is a bit dated.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I wouldn't think too much of it. I think Valve has earned the right to sweet talk the mac fanboys for a bit, lord knows they could use some decent games to play on their shiny Macbooks.

So long as this Mac courtship doesn't stay this "chummy" for long i'm cool with it. Besides, E3's coming up soon, sure Valve has something good cooking to show us to wipe the bad taste from our mouths.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Swizzle wrote: »
    IT'S A VIDEO GAME.

Yes, that's right. A game.

This game is made by a company that likes making money. They're advertising, and that advertising means they're going to make more money. If you don't like the way the company makes money, stop supporting that company by not playing its game instead of being a whiny little fanboy on an internet forum.
    I realize you are making an effort to actually respond to my point here.

However, it irritates me somewhat that even though I specifically posted this twice for emphasis that this has been ignored in favor of less productive arguments. I shall post it again:
    They don't need to resort to being shameless whores to sell video games to mac users. It's not like they don't do just fine in the much more competitive PC market with many, many more options.

You know what another way I can express my dislike of this is? Saying so.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I hope more game companies roll out Mac support.
    Oh my God how can you wish something good for that group of horrible fanboy monsters that raped my dad and ate my mom!
  • Karkasmolenklok
    You're even picking fights with me in response to comments I didn't even make.

Bra-vo.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, for real now, let it die. Karkasmolenklok dislikes what valve has done, and that's fine. The argument has gotten entirely out of hand to the point of stupidity, and there is literally no reason to continue it.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not picking fights with anyone, I'm just being thilly :3

Anyone want to play TF 2?
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Just going to log on in a sec. Since our server's down, I'll likely end up on a random - if anyone wants to add me, my steam ID is the same as my username.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added you, if anyone wants to add me it's The_Dermy
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added both of you guys, if anyone wants to add me it's Moosey_G, also this thread makes me teh lolz
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    MACS CAUSE CANCER, true story, I heard it on the internets somewhere.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    of all the threads to descend into a flame war and probably a lock..

for shame, seriously.

if we can attempt to salvage things: has anyone tried the bots?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bots are pretty great, they offer up a semi decent challenge. They tend to get stuck sometimes though but overall its pretty good :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Are they built in or do you have to tweak stuff around in the game files? I may re-install it and practice with the bots to get decent at it :)
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah just tried this on my MacBook Pro (pretty low spec, 2.4ghz c2d, 4GB RAM) and was shocked how well it runs!

Anyone else seeing a nice performance improvement on their Mac?

I tried it via Bootcamp a while ago and it barely ran, but I was curious to see if a native version worked better, and it does!

Training mode is cool too, I'm ashamed to admit it but I've hardly ever played TF2 and it was nice to get an interactive walkthrough of the game mechanics!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bots are built into 4 maps so far, and have three difficulties :)
    Glad to hear it runs well on Macs :D
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    It runs a lot better in OSX native than it did in bootcamp, for me. As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, it crashed a bunch in an XP-bootcamp set up. Nice to be able to play again, for sure.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bearkub: I've been hearing that a lot. Strange that it would run so poorly under Bootcamp, but really a moot point now that you've got a native copy.