Home General Discussion

Searching for old Polycount threads

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, apologies if it has, but considering a lot of people use google to search the boards it seems like for the foreseeable future you might want to run two searches until most of the polycount nuggets of wisdom get passed onto the new forum address.

To search the the boards before the new site launch, type this into google:
site:http://boards.polycount.net/ (your search here)

To search the boards after the new site launch, type this into google:
site:http://www.polycount.com/forum/ (your search here)

Replies

• marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cant u search using the search box on the site
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It only searches the new boards and it has a delay between searches to foil spam bots or fight lag or some such rational.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    'It only searches the new boards' The new boards has all the content of the old boards.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then the board search feature just blows ass.

Here's how my most recent search went.
    Board search "Race Track vassago"
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Board search "Race Track"
    Wait 15 seconds and try again.

Board search "Race Track"
    A bunch of new stuff.

Wait 15 seconds

Board Advanced Search "Race Track" Filter user name "vassago"
    One entry, not any of the posts I'm looking for.

fuck it.

Google search "site:http://www.polycount.com/forum/ race track vassago"
    No matches found.

Google search "site:http://boards.polycount.net/ race track vassago"
    First entry and a little farther down, a post from the old boards I'm actually looking for.

There we go, search the old boards for old threads, hey maybe this might be useful to people?

I guess you can use the board search feature but the wait time makes refining a search a pain in the ass, and if you know it was on the old boards you can quickly scan what google knew about those boards.
  • Vito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vito polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    Board Advanced Search "Race Track" Filter user name "vassago"
    One entry, not any of the posts I'm looking for.

I rebuilt the search indexes. That post now shows up when I do that.

vBulletin doesn't consider usernames of posters in the thread to be valid keywords for the regular search boxes, of course, so "race track vassago" will never work. You'd have to search for only "race track" or use the advanced search to specify "vassago" in the other box.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the clarification Vito that helps a little.

I think another problem I ran into was, I was looking for threads about race tracks that contained posts by vassago, but he never specifically mentioned race tracks in the posts I was looking for. When I specified Vassago it only checked posts he had made. If I could remember what he posted I could probably search for that, but then I wouldn't need to search ha!

So is there a way to "find threads the user posted in" rather than the current options of "find posts" or "find threads started by the user"?
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a problem finding an older thread as well. Thanks guys!
  • Vito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vito polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    So is there a way to "find threads the user posted in" rather than the current options of "find posts" or "find threads started by the user"?

The username search box dropdown does have a "find posts" option, not just "threads started by."

You probably have "threads started by" saved as your default. There's a box to set that preference, too.
  • Vito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vito polycounter lvl 18
    KhAoZ wrote: »
    I had a problem finding an older thread as well. Thanks guys!

Do you still have this problem?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Find Posts by User" as in only search posts or threads created by this user.
    I wanted to search for ALL threads that contained the words race track and also had posts by vassago.

Vassago didn't mention race track in his posts (even though he was responding to a thread about race tracks), so his posts didn't show up when I advance searched for "race track" filtered by user "vassago".

Why didn't you search for something vassago did post? If I remembered what he posted I wouldn't be searching for it...

ya know what google does it fine, don't worry about it.