Home General Discussion

Unearthly Challenge Top Artists Revealed

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
Looks like they've made some progress on the winners, just not yet though. 8 out of 15 of the Top 3D artists went to Polycount. Yay Polycount. Not sure how long we'll wait for the winners to be announced but at least there's movement. :thumbup:

http://www.unearthlychallenge.com/2009/prefinals.php

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    front page news article time?
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    haha you beat me to it, some absolutely stunning art here guys, congrats :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So much badass art! Congrats to all who made it in!

6mo into 2010 and 9mo past the turn in date, impressive...:shifty:
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    How the hell is gamedev and crew's entry not in the Top 15?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    ^_^

Grats to all that placed!

I wanna enter something next year.

:D
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Took them long enough, i thought they were trying to establish a record and wait one year to revel the winner. (which they didn't, yet)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Was also surprised to see no team butterpants, always thought if any team was going to knock us off the board it would be them. Announcing finalists is always bittersweet.

Despite the delayed announcement this is still pretty exciting! Just happen to be on the job hunt very recently so this announcement couldn't have come at a better time. Congrats to everyone who made it and good luck in the final judging.

Go PC :D
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am in agreement with Bromell on this one, totally thought GameDev's piece should have been included. However, congrats to all the Polycounters!! 8-15 is great, I have to say, the submissions from PC were top notch and i wish you luck!
    The guys at Game Artisans seem to always be swamped when it comes to judging competitions, does anyone know if Polycount has thought of creating and organizing the other forums into some similar challenges like Game Artisians? Im sure this has been covered before, but just curious.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Lots of PC there, good job guys!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    adam wrote: »

yeah this!!!!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Congrats on those who placed, and also those who took part and those who finished. Alas it was all squeezed into a top 15, lots of great work was done.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Yay! Grats on all the finalists! So good to see some progress on UC! :D
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Grats to the finalists!
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16

Thanks for the support guys! It's a bummer that me Asa and gamedev (team butterpants) didn't get into the finals but it doesn't really matter, we had fun doing the comp and enjoyed competing against you guys. :) Congrats to all the finalists!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, you guys did an awesome job, that was one of my favorite pieces, oh well.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Thank god I'm not up there. Shows integrity. ;)
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    So much incredible work. I'd frame any one of those and hang it in my living room.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Snight wrote: »
    Thanks for the support guys! It's a bummer that me and gamedev (team butterpants) didn't get into the finals but it doesn't really matter, we had fun doing the comp and enjoyed competing against you guys. :) Congrats to all the finalists!

Yes, it kinda does matter. Your stuff blew everyone away, and doesnt take a genius to see the superior quality of it.

But whatever man, like you said, it's always fun and I bet you guys learnt a lot.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    wow, pretty surprising picks. Some of my favorite ones didn't make it and imo some of these in the top 15 are pretty average :s, but I guess it's always hard to choose the right ones. It makes me really wonder who the judges are though..
    Anyways congrats for everyone in there :).
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Man! Not gonna lie..humbled and honored to be even considered next to all these amazing amazing amazing pieces. And I also wonder why Butterpants isn't on there! That piece rocked my boat. And you guys had Asa concepting! Thats like Cool x 10000!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    What Erich said.
    I was pretty surprised to see myself on this list aswell. Anyway, Congrats everyone! Polycount in da house. 10 entries!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Erich said.
    I was pretty surprised to see myself on this list aswell. Anyway, Congrats everyone! Polycount in da house. 10 entries!

Really?? You're being humble! Yours was absolutely top notch. Your foliage gives me an art-boner every time I look at it!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude. Honestly my teammate should get most of the cred (he's in hiding now, don't know where he is) since it's because of him I/we actually finished. I didn't want to piss him off by making him work for nothing. Dude's buff, he'd pulverize me. :(

But yeah. What I was trying to say is, There was loads of good entries out there.
    Out of all the entries I think yours is the one where you can actually see that the artists learned loads during the challenge. It really came together in the end. I remember the environment having a new angle in every shot for awhile and everything switching places. :)

But enough backpatting. Back to work! I have a door to bake! :)
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Big congrats to everyone who made the list!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    EDIT: Nevermind, I won't shit all over the GA forums.

I'm going to take off my Admin hat for a sec and rock my sweet 'members only' doo-rag if you guys don't mind.

How does an entry like 'The Ultimate Catnip' teams entry make it in this top list but 'Team Butter Pants' does not?

The Ultimate Catnip makes it in when the entry was never registered for the contest until after the deadline and they turned in their final shots the day after the final completion date.

Team Butter Pants enters when they were suppose to, post WIPs and turn out a fucking amazing entry and isn't on the list?

Someone please explain how the hell this happens? Regardless of if I'm coming off as being subjective, whens someone's on the list who didn't follow the rules, that's pretty unfortunate for those who did.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Well even if somehow I'm happy to be in the top 15 (who wouldn't? O.o) I wonder how it have been judged (as many).
    When i see all the entries, I wonder why some aren't in the top and why some are in (no offense). We were even joking at work that I was in the "bad" top 15 u.u;;;;;
    Well maybe we'll get the answer soon and will suddenly make sense O.o;;
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats highly unforturnate, I absolutely love gamedev's piece.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Why all the hate? These guys are going to find out they made a top place, head over here to celebrate only to have sh*t thrown in their face. They had a damned good entry and worked their asses off. Grats on the win guys.

But i agree completely that butterpants deserves a spot up there too(debatably moreso).
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    speaking of guys who did not place as high as they should, why the hell did team DBD (Balatituscurse) not even place top 15?! Did I miss something, was their entry disqualified for some reason I'm not aware of?

picture very related:

DBD_BeautyShot_1_c.jpg
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Grats to everybody!

My thoughts exactly about the DBD team.... by far in my opinion the most mind blowing. I'd assume something occurred that DQ'd them or they silently withdrew?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Congratz to all those that made the top 15.

Will agree though that some that deserved to be up there arnt and surprising by the somewhat average ones that made it. But it is what it is.

And maybe somehow the judges at GA thought some of those really awesome entries that didnt make it in the top 15 wernt "End Game-ish" enough, who knows. GA dropped the ball on this UC. Hopefully the next one will go over better.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I was going to post about DBD. I have no idea how they couldn't have gotten in. Their entry is the one that I remember the most from the contest.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone who placed in the top 15! Glad to see so many Polycount entries in there.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah the DBD entry was my background at work and at home for a good 6 months.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Someone please explain how the hell this happens? Regardless of if I'm coming off as being subjective, whens someone's on the list who didn't follow the rules, that's pretty unfortunate for those who did.

C'mon, we all know these contests don't favor people who follow the rules. You bust your ass all night to meet the deadline only to have it delayed so a few favorites have time to finish their entries.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C'mon, we all know these contests don't favor people who follow the rules. You bust your ass all night to meet the deadline only to have it delayed so a few favorites have time to finish their entries.
    Yep. I remember that one. I was ready to go when the deadline came knocking.

Either way, let's at least be a little bit happy that something is happening with the challenge at least. I thought we'd never get any results at all. It's been what. 8 months?
  • robby_lamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robby_lamb polycounter lvl 17
    Hey guys, thanks for the DBD support. We appreciate it.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    robby_lamb wrote: »
    Hey guys, thanks for the DBD support. We appreciate it.

robby, jason, inyoung...robbed. ROBBED I TELLS YA! :(

Grats to all the winners, though :D
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    EDIT: Nevermind, I won't shit all over the GA forums.

I'm going to take off my Admin hat for a sec and rock my sweet 'members only' doo-rag if you guys don't mind.

How does an entry like 'The Ultimate Catnip' teams entry make it in this top list but 'Team Butter Pants' does not?

The Ultimate Catnip makes it in when the entry was never registered for the contest until after the deadline and they turned in their final shots the day after the final completion date.

Team Butter Pants enters when they were suppose to, post WIPs and turn out a fucking amazing entry and isn't on the list?

I gotta agree with you. I was wondering if I was the only one that felt this way... Nothing is being said on the GA forums about the judging so far. But honestly, DBD and Butterpants...wtf!? It really aggravates me to see such quality art not get into the top 15. Especially when certain entries that are I guess.. decent... get to make it in. Forget about who followed what rules, DBD and Butterpants are more than good enough to grace the top 7. I'd be more forgiving about this if there were ACTUALLY 2 entries that were better. Gahh!!

However, I'm not going to sit here and bash all the entries that I don't believe should be there, because it was all up to the judges, and I know everyone put in a lot of work into their art. But the truth of the matter is that 2 of the entries that I'm sure everyone would have bet their life on making the top seven haven't made even the top 15. What's wrong with this picture? They better have gotten disqualified because that's the only reason they shouldn't be up there.

Anyway, considering the fact that 2 AMAZING entries didn't make it, I consider myself EXTREMELY F**KING LUCKY to be ranked in the top 15. And I hope that everyone else feels the same way.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 wrote: »
    Anyway, considering the fact that 2 AMAZING entries didn't make it, I consider myself EXTREMELY F**KING LUCKY to be ranked in the top 15. And I hope that everyone else feels the same way.

I do too! Someone told my old teacher from school that I made the top 15 and he said "It's unbelievable that he got in! He never worked hard in class". I'm glad to know people still believe in me. >=(
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    im gonna chip in and say that this team butterpants does look better artistically, and per-asset-ly, but catnip's more atmospheric. where would u like to go? this totally ordinary looking alley, or that totally epic and hectic looking castle?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats to all who made it. There's was a ton of great entries this year.