Home Technical Talk

Jaggy edges? Maya

Rendering with 3 point lighting, it's all new to me but I'm getting the hang of it, I THINK.

Anyways, here's two shots with the jaggies at x1024 screen and 100 resolution. It was originally at x600 screen and x72 resolution. Will try for 300 resolution this time but I get a lot of artifacts and brown pixels in the whiteness of the model?? I run a laptop here without actual graphics card [it's on-board] so I think that might have something to do with it.

akhybrid1.gif
akhybrid2.gif
akhybrid3.gif

The third shot is just a screen cap, no render, showing how clean the real model is without a render. I'd love it if my renders could be this clean but with lighting. There are still some jaggies on the model where it meets black but no artifacts. How do I get rid of jaggy edges??

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    What AA filter are you using in your render settings? Your images also look really noisy.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Have you tried rendering with Mental Ray on Production: Fine Trace preset? Can't say i've bumped into that issue before =\
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Up the antialiasing settings? Maya defaults them pretty low iirc. It also doesnt help that you are outputting them to gifs.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rurouni Strife
    I don't think I'm running any filter. I'll look at my settings but could you maybe suggest something? Thanks.

@Mr Bear
    I haven't tried that but I'll look for the option. Thank you.

@commander_keen
    I'll look for those settings too. What file should I export to, .png?
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I just use targa. Others prefer tiff.
    Either way maya's gif and jpeg renders are nazty.

And on board laptop graphics doesn't impact images render quality, thats all internal maya settings.

Try setting whatever render engine your using (software/mental ray/hardware/vector) to production instead of preview. That will automatically turn on AA in most cases when available.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Leave the resolution at 72. Even if you were rendering for print its usually faster for Maya to just render at 3 - 4 times the dimension sizes than it is to render at 300 dpi*. Then go into the Maya Software tab, and change the Quality drop-down to Production Quality. This is a preset that will also change the Edge Anti-Aliasing, Number of Samples, and Multi-Pixel Filtering fields to render out a higher quality image.

Edit: You can also try rendering out in the .tif format. From there you can change it to any other format you want in Photoshop.

* - If you had a 800 x 600 image at 72 dpi, and wanted a 144 dpi image, you would just render a 1600 x 1200 image, and then change the dpi appropriately in Photoshop.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    DPI is meaningless until you print something out, on computers the only thing that maters is the pixels/resolution.