Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Sliferjam

Done.
promo_small.png

Old stuff:

scoothat_new.pngI picked a trillby because it fit the scout's head a bit better than the fedora I was making.

newgun_1.png
The new gun solves a few problems with my old guns. As for the theme, the Thompson submachine gun had the nickname "Chicago typewriter" and journalists need a typewriter, so I made what I envisioned a Boston shotgun variant would be like, but still similar in how it works to the scout's scattergun.

newmelee.png
Still not sure what to make as a melee weapon. If someone has an idea, tell me otherwise I'm going to make a tripod.

Replies

• Leetcake
    a scoot neckerchif. Nice idea :D
  • Karkasmolenklok
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ikimono
    As a Life-Scout I heartily approve of this theme!

You totally should make a scattergun that is made out of a log, nails, ducttape, somehow fit a swiss army knife onto it (trigger or something), a compass, or just general stuff that a boy-scout would have on him.
  • Sliferjam
    I had trouble coming up with some sort of primary weapon for the scout that would fit the theme, so I had a good long think.

I decided that instead of 'Boy Scout', it should be an organization that is similar, but with guns that is more fitting to the TF2 universe. I thought up the name 'Mann Scouts' or 'Mann Boys'.

I know the melee weapon will be a pocket knife. Most likely a swiss-army type knife.
    I drew this up just to see what might look good, but I haven't decided on anything yet:
    knives_sil.png

Even though I can't add attributes to the weapon, in my mind a scout would be able to go in, slice someone and retreat while they bleed, like the Sniper's new kukri.

I went ahead and started designing a shotgun type thing. I originally wanted a pump action revolver shotgun like this:
    001_-_silhouette2.png
    I wanted to make another weapon like the scattergun that you don't actually have to reload, just pump something and it reloads from ammo stored in the gun.

During making it I had to edit a few details here and there.
    Here's an early picture:
    002_-_early_wip.png

I fiddled with the design and came up with this:
    soup123.png

And added a few things here and there to make this:
    gayrenderforhomosonmybutt.jpg

It's nowhere near done yet. I'd like to go back and remake a few things here and there, texture, etc.

But the rationale for having this kind of shotgun with a 'Scout' theme would be, in my mind, that once a 'Mann Scout' graduates (equal to a Boy Scout getting Eagle) he is given a unique weapon as a reward. Once I make a Mann Scout logo, I might slap that on the side.

tbh I'm not digging the shotgun for this contest. I may make something else.
  • Sliferjam
    I may be done with the hat. I taught myself jigglebones and finished the sucker up.

Untitled-512345.png

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A45zhj-6cfA[/ame]

It's only slightly jiggleboned. I much prefer the little swaying back and forth to wagging all over the place.
  • ParingKnife
    Scoot scouts, now that's interesting. I like the neckerchief. Patrol Leader's Leadbelcher could be a name for that beast. :)

As for the knife, watch out for his blood circle. ;)
  • The Red Man
    Sliferjam wrote: »
    I had trouble coming up with some sort of primary weapon for the scout that would fit the theme, so I had a good long think.

I decided that instead of 'Boy Scout', it should be an organization that is similar, but with guns that is more fitting to the TF2 universe. I thought up the name 'Mann Scouts' or 'Mann Boys'.

I know the melee weapon will be a pocket knife. Most likely a swiss-army type knife.
    I drew this up just to see what might look good, but I haven't decided on anything yet:
    knives_sil.png

Even though I can't add attributes to the weapon, in my mind a scout would be able to go in, slice someone and retreat while they bleed, like the Sniper's new kukri.

I went ahead and started designing a shotgun type thing. I originally wanted a pump action revolver shotgun like this:
    001_-_silhouette2.png
    I wanted to make another weapon like the scattergun that you don't actually have to reload, just pump something and it reloads from ammo stored in the gun.

During making it I had to edit a few details here and there.
    Here's an early picture:
    002_-_early_wip.png

I fiddled with the design and came up with this:
    soup123.png

And added a few things here and there to make this:
    gayrenderforhomosonmybutt.jpg

It's nowhere near done yet. I'd like to go back and remake a few things here and there, texture, etc.

But the rationale for having this kind of shotgun with a 'Scout' theme would be, in my mind, that once a 'Mann Scout' graduates (equal to a Boy Scout getting Eagle) he is given a unique weapon as a reward. Once I make a Mann Scout logo, I might slap that on the side.

tbh I'm not digging the shotgun for this contest. I may make something else.

I like handle #4 with blad #1 but the blade will have to be curvier. btw nice work with the scoutkercheife
    and bc ur going with the boy scout theam why not make a sling-shot for a sencondary unlock? thats sorta boy scoutish
  • Khthon
    OKAY, I gave some thought to your ideas-

Mann Scouts/Mann Boys are great ideas for names.

Not sure about the new scattergun fitting the theme, though. When I went to Boy Scout Camp as a kid, we had a firing range. Maybe look up some stuff about firing ranges/kids learning how to shoot guns for themed ideas?

The jiggle bones looks pretty good. I myself prefer a bit more jiggly-ness, but that's just me.

As for the Swiss Army Knife - great idea, but it has to match the bat animations/Scout voice. ("BONK!" when he hits etc) so maybe for comedic effect you could have a bat (looks like a club made out of a log/piece of firewood he found while camping?) with Swiss Army Knives tied/taped/stuck in the wood with all the dangerous pointy bits sticking out!?

References for the wood club that resembles a bat (you could also add charcoal/burn damage like it was from a firepit)-

27583.jpg
    alderwoodclub.jpg
    firewood.jpg
    SW10.jpg
    694444409_6f81d417d4.jpg?v=0

Swiss Army Knife references (LOTS of comedic value there - could put anything folding out - a spatula, a small gun, etc) -

wenger_giant_swiss_army_knife_2.jpg
    swiss-army-knife.jpg
    swiss-army-cutlery-14967-1245175887-11.jpg
    L12369636.jpg

As for other ideas, you could make a Miscellaneous item that is a bunch of Merit Badges! Or...OR! you could have whatever you do for the scattergun go with this awesome theme and have a jiggle-boned Merit Badge Sash wound around the barrel with silly merit badges based on real designs!

Merit Badges are PERFECT for this theme.

Here are some Merit Badge refs -

Eldred%20Color%20Eagle.jpg
    Eldred%20Merit%20Badges.jpg
    3209558431_df2e423a10_o.jpg
    meritbadge.jpg
    nspot26_300.jpg
    Uniform%20Picture.jpg
    Y301195.jpg
  • The Red Man
    cool! not many ppl have posted on this thread ina while! :\
  • Thatguyoverthere
    Do you really need to spam about 20 pictures? It lags my browser and like you should post them in links.
  • Locutus.
    Do you really need to spam about 20 pictures? It lags my browser and like you should post them in links.

But then we would all have to click the links, which is harder for the rest of us who don't want to spend 30 minutes to look at all the pictures.

Maybe you should get google chrome?
  • The Red Man
  • chickenman

sorry. but i don't think we should accommodate for 1 out of 100.

@OP

mad me think of this :thumbup:

Saxton_fire.jpg

Here's the caption:

"Boy's Adventure with Saxton Hale came under fire from the Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency in 1968 for teaching boys aged 6-16, among other things: moral turpitude, arson, vandalism, hippie assault, tax fraud, at-home laryngectomies, car theft, gorilla slaughter, and the Heimlich Maneuver (which had just been invented and was still considered controversial). Pressured by the Senate, Mann Co. changed the name to Girl's Adventure With Saxton Hale, as it was commonly thought at the time that girls couldn't do anything, so any lessons taught to them would be harmless."
  • Karkasmolenklok
    "Hale scout" is an awesome theme, because it explains how boy scouting gave the scout a bunch of experience in things like gorilla slaughter.
  • EvilShadow777
    "Hale scout" is an awesome theme, because it explains how boy scouting gave the scout a bunch of experience in things like gorilla slaughter.
    This makes me want to be a Hale Scout so much. I love the progress here so far!
  • The Red Man
    XD I love saxton's chest hair in the shape of Alastrailia!
  • Karkasmolenklok
    XD I love saxton's chest hair in the shape of Alastrailia!
    Holy crap I hadn't noticed!
  • Sliferjam
    I pretty much scrapped the old shotgun thing as it didn't fit my theme very well.
    I decided to make a gun that is closer to something that might be found at a rifle range at a normal scout camp.
    So I started making this.
    gun_2.png
    This is a picture of further progress, highlighting what still needs to be done.
    wip_shot_of_new_gun.png
    I decided to go ahead and add that extra detail of the pocket knife bayonet. It may be duct taped, or I might use twine. Or both.

I'm still struggling with the idea of the pump/magazine.
    The original scattergun never has new shells added. He just pumps it to reload.
    I'm not great at animating and figured a gun that just needs to pump to reload might work better than me having to animate putting in shells. So a magazine of some sort would be necessary. I may scrap that and just do the shells. Tell me what you think.

Since I thought a pocket knife bayonet would be more fitting to detail the gun, I decided to go for a different type of weapon. Here's a concept:
    mallowey.png
  • jgoodroad
    tasty!
    but how will it look on fire? and I am sorry about your first shotgun idea, It looked really nice... but more of something a demoman might use.
  • Boylee
    To be honest I can't really see the scout beating someone to death with a twig, that just seems silly, give him something beefy like this:
    Khthon wrote: »
    27583.jpg

This thing looks mercilessly brutal. The Homegrown Head Hurter?

Also, just throwing this out there: how about some sort of Swiss Army Bat?

EDIT: If you add some sort of drum or box magazine to the scattergun replacement then you don't need to worry about reload animations.
  • Sliferjam
    I also had an idea of a walking stick, but I'm still not very sure of what to make.
    TS3.jpg
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Love the pocket-knife bayonet.

Maybe a hatchet as the melee weapon? Tomahawk?
  • jgoodroad
    hatchet IS a standard Mann-scout tool...
  • Khthon
    Take a look at my references post, maybe something will catch your eye.
  • Rong
    I love this. Although it clips with your Medal.

Please sumbit this to Valve. http://www.teamfortress.com/contribute/

This is something I would like to see in-game. It makes the Scout look very adorable.
  • Ikimono
    jgoodroad wrote: »
    hatchet IS a standard Mann-scout tool...
    Indeed. Boy Scouts are taught if they had 1 tool to bring with them, bring a hatchet since it is the most universal tool.
  • Psyke
    did i already see this on fpabanana?
  • Ikimono
    Psyke wrote: »
    did i already see this on fpabanana?
    Yep.
  • Sliferjam
    Updated first post with info.
    Also
    newgun_2.png
  • Sliferjam
    Reporter/journalism theme.

Primary still needs to be textured up a bit better:
    untitled1_385.png
    I added a microphone to serve as a grip and further the reporter theme.

I'm 90% done with the melee, here's wip shots:
    wip_camera.png
    I have a good idea about how he will hold it.

The hat is almost done as well, just don't have pix of it yet.
    If I have time I'll make a misc as well.

I am confident that I will be able to complete these by the deadline.
  • Khthon
    Seems late, but it's your pack. I hope you finish.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Less than enthusiastic about starting over with a journalism theme.
  • The Red Man
    If i were you i'd add a flash like a real camera. Maby thats where you could have him hold? Pic:SuperStock_1555R-27065.jpg
  • The Scrub
    the baseball ticket in the cap
    replace it with a ticket reading "admit one - gunshow"
  • Sliferjam
    promo_small.png
    I need to touch up the textures, but it's mostly done.
  • Khthon
    So he melees with the camera?
  • Sliferjam
  • Khthon
    In that case I would have suggested having the camera mounted on top of tied together/taped together tripod legs. The Scout would use the default Bat animations and it would work perfectly.

I know it's probably too late, but you can submit updates through the submit page if you want.

Refs-

029.JPG

003804_01.jpg

retro_webcam_2.jpg

durocamera.jpg
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    bit late for that khthon
  • Khthon
    I know Spark, that's why I said he could submit as Update after the contest if he wanted to make sure it fit the animations.
  • Sliferjam
    I'm having problems getting the contribute site to accept my entry.

It asks for a .QL, .OBJ, or .MT as a source file, and I'm not familiar with QL or MT. I tried .obj but I still get the 'Missing files or files exceed 2MB size limit' error.
    Both of the .zips combined are less than 2 mb, so it must think there are files missing.

Any idea?
  • Pogo
    Did you add the thumbnail image? It's not optional
  • spetch
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    Pogo wrote: »
    Did you add the thumbnail image? It's not optional

I've had no problems uploading. Just make sure everything is added. I forgot my thumbnail as well and it wouldnt let me submit till it was added.

BTw, really cool ideas! I wanna use that camera, cant wait to stun. Do your models have ambient occlusion? It's hard to see some of the soft shadows around the gun, around the hat, and the cam
  • Rong
    Pictures in OP are dead. Reup please!