Home Technical Talk

Perfect Alpha?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I have been cutting a lot of the stuff out for getting a perfect alpha on this image , but then when I try to transform this into an alpha channel it gets reallybad with lots of white halo etc , how can I do to use the actual cutted out part to form a decent alpha?

72748262.jpg

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Flatten your image on a white BG
    Adjust curves or levels til all your stuff is black against white
    Ctrl-A Ctrl-C
    Paste in your alpha channel
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (and you might want to mix a little Ctrl-I in there) :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Priors way is good if you want the gray tones in the image to make it into the alpha. If you don't you can also right click the layer and hit select pixels and then create a black fill on a new layer.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also helps sometimes to use one of the Red, Green, or Blue color channels to start from. Like if the image is green leaves against a blue sky, then the red channel will have more contrast than the combined RGB image.

Photoshop has a bunch of other methods too, like Select > Color Range, etc.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    White halo where, in Photoshop, or in your 3D application (or whatever you're displaying it in).

As mentioned, CTRL-clicking this layer will make a new selection based on the existing transparency, you can then fill this selection in as white on a black background.

However, you will then need to make sure your diffuse has some padding. I suspect the white pixel "bleeding" you're talking about is due to not padding the diffuse out at all, so the transparent background is showing through when you apply the alpha channel in your 3D app.
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    If the parts you want alpha-d are on a separate layer, you can double click on it to open up the layer properties, color overlay and select black, make sure the background is white, and that should give you what you want.
  • dempolys
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    have you tried going to 'layer-matting-remove white matte' or defringe. these will choke your matte slightly

if your lucky enough to have your subject against a primary colour you can use the channel mixer to create a alpha.
    Put in in monochrome mode. put the background colour to as low as it will go and then ramp up the constant slider.
    then use the result as a layer mask.
    This one was quick, you can get more subtle with it
    orig~0.png

alpha.png

If your feeling fruity you could also try After effects or Shake and pull a key with keylight. hell Max and maya come with a compositor now. they should have good keying features.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ijust want all the pixels I cutted away transparent to become actually alphed out in the alpha channel and the rest be opaque , no shade degrees..
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    ctrl+cklick layer to load it as a selection, create alpha channel, fill with white.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed. Basically, do what I said (or what ivars said). ;)