Home General Discussion

Table Top Games?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
Anyone know any good two player table top games? Role playing or strategy perhaps? I would like something good to play with my girlfriend, but am completely out of my territory with table top games.

Replies

• Moosey_G
    Warhammer 40k! Just get prepared to shell out.
  • SyaPed
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    If you would want to craft, paint, character races in real life and play them.

Here is the website that might help you out.
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp?setLocale=en_CA&gclid=CJLhs5e79qECFaEN5QodGzD8Ew

Just remember that Warhammer 40k is expandable (you can add other races to your set)

and Warhammer is not.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
  • Joshua Stubbles
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Nitewalkr wrote: »

Just remember that Warhammer 40k is expandable (you can add other races to your set)

and Warhammer is not.

Whaaaa?
  • Mark Dygert
    Warmachine, its what 40k would be if it had balls.
    Necromunda, its like 40k but you care about your troops/gang, they earn XP and horrible or horrifically great things can happen to them.

Nothing more fun than watching your buddy who has routinely kicked your ass and gloated the whole campaign, roll snake eyes on the serious injury chart for his prized Heavy. I distinctly remember taps being played as she was laid to rest back in her carrying case, never to return to battle...
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Heed my warning. If you choose Warhammer40k

Prepare to never have extra money, ever again.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, Ive spent the last hour reading up on the interweb...Warhammer 40k and Warmachine both look really cool. Quick newb question though, do characters level build and carry stats into battles from previous battles or is it more like rts games and based on permanent unit specs? How does the game balance itself in terms of play, if i go out and buy some fancy new troops, does that give me an advantage? Anyone willing to generalize the gameplay of Warhammer for me?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne are both great tabletop games for 2-4 players
  • Mark Dygert
    Oh yea those are good ones. Zombies is pretty fun too.

http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies/
  • GninjaGnome
    Offline / Send Message
    GninjaGnome polycounter lvl 7
    My girlfriend's a fan of Carcassonne also. I tried to get her to play Warmachine, but she never did figure it out.
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    These aren't necessarily board games, but the Munchkin card games are tons of fun. The are easy to pick up the rules and usually end up being a really entertaining game.

http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/

For that matter, any of the Steve Jackson Games.

http://www.sjgames.com/
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    if you can get your hands on a space hulk box you might very well be in for a treat. if not you can just buy a few miniatures and get the rules and stuff from the internet. probably.
    building your own space hulk is also pretty fun.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Vassago wrote: »

angry_kid_playing_chess.jpg
    That was me in middle school, saying "You FOOL! You have no strong pieces left! Stop giggling, your DOOM is at hand!"

Chess club champion, yo.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    ENODMI wrote: »
    Quick newb question though, do characters level build and carry stats into battles from previous battles or is it more like rts games and based on permanent unit specs?

Based on this, I'd definitely recommend Necromunda. It's set in the 40k universe, but the skirmishes can be a lot more engaging because of the risk of permanent injury to your gangers and the reduced scale of the encounters, and there's some great scenarios to play out which offers a lot of variety from game to game. Your characters can sustain injuries that affect stats for the coming battles, so there's definitely an incentive to play with more care and attention than, say, 40k or other larger-scale games.

Also, +1 recommendation for Space Hulk.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Another vote for spacehulk here, plus I have to mention Blood Bowl...probably my favourite GW game, complete with campain rules a la Necromunda, Inquisitor and Mordheim. Plus the teams are quite small so that you dont have to mortgage your kidneys to build a useable force.
  • Whargoul
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Lost Cities, Jambo.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed wrote: »
    Whaaaa?

Remember as you walk in to the Gameworkshop you see the race packs on the walls? Those expensions are just for the warhammer 40k

Not for warhammer (just)
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this how I begin my Warhammer 40k journey... http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat200190&prodId=prod1570027

Or is there a better way to piece together the armies and game?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Remember as you walk in to the Gameworkshop you see the race packs on the walls? Those expensions are just for the warhammer 40k

Not for warhammer (just)

Yeah, I'm equally confused by this statement:

Warhammer races:
    Empire
    Dwarves
    High Elves
    Wood Elves
    Dark Elves
    Tomb Kings
    Vampire Counts
    Skaven
    Greenskins
    Ogre Kingdom
    Bretonia
    Warriors of Chaos
    Demons of Chaos
    Beastmen
    Lizardmen

then you have Dogs of War: mercanaries that you throw into your armies

and Chaos Dwarves but they haven't had a rules update or new models in a while, seems like they are being phased out.

Most GW stores I walked into have one side of the store devoted to Warhammer Fantasy and the other side Warhammer 40k. The major difference is with fantasy you have to keep rank and file, so moving is trickier than 40k. Fantasy = Chess and 40k = Checkers
  • Mark Dygert
    bearkub wrote: »
    These aren't necessarily board games, but the Munchkin card games are tons of fun. The are easy to pick up the rules and usually end up being a really entertaining game.

http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/

For that matter, any of the Steve Jackson Games.

http://www.sjgames.com/
    Oh yea Infernal Contraption is a lot of fun and easy to pick up.
    http://privateerpress.com/bodgers-games/infernal-contraption
  • Nysuatro
    Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne are both great tabletop games for 2-4 players

Yeah totally. Those are mostly the games I play with friends. That and poker ...
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm equally confused by this statement:

Warhammer races:
    Empire
    Dwarves
    High Elves
    Wood Elves
    Dark Elves
    Tomb Kings
    Vampire Counts
    Skaven
    Greenskins
    Ogre Kingdom
    Bretonia
    Warriors of Chaos
    Demons of Chaos
    Beastmen
    Lizardmen

then you have Dogs of War: mercanaries that you throw into your armies

and Chaos Dwarves but they haven't had a rules update or new models in a while, seems like they are being phased out.

Most GW stores I walked into have one side of the store devoted to Warhammer Fantasy and the other side Warhammer 40k. The major difference is with fantasy you have to keep rank and file, so moving is trickier than 40k. Fantasy = Chess and 40k = Checkers

!! Guess I'll have to talk to the douchebag Customer service rep again who told me that warhammer (just) isnt expandable. >.<

Thanks for clearing this out. ^^ And sorry for miss leading.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    ENODMI wrote: »
    Is this how I begin my Warhammer 40k journey... http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat200190&prodId=prod1570027

Or is there a better way to piece together the armies and game?

it has everything you need to play. just dont buy GW colors. super expensive, dry up easily and have rather low pigmentation.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, check out BrikWars! Unofficial tabletop wargame rules for LEGO.
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    I actually laughed a bit when i seen this thread, me and my girlfriend just walked into a store the other day and i asked about warhammer, and a dude that worked there explained the too and the differences, now the thing is they both seem expensive and obviously time consuming, BUT off the bat i preferred fantasy vs 40k not sure why =/. I may actually start collecting/playing Fantasy not sure yet thou.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Surprised nobody's mentioned Tyranids yet - swift, deadly, lots of unit variety (and pretty economical, points-wise) and great fun to paint.
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    ok we play alot of board games

a few good ones

if you like the universe/lore/ painting etc (big hobby)

warhammer 40k is fun.

If you like all of that but want a cheaper easier scale

Try Warmachines

if you like something more pick up and play I suggest some simpler games

such as

muchnkin
    Zombies
    Humans (a new zombies expansion)
    Catan
    Bang
    Ninja Burger

depending on your group if you like a more complex board game or 2

Puerto Rico
    Power Grid
    Pandemic

I own 40k as a hobby, and I have puerto rico, Pandemic, ninja burger and humans,

All great games to play when people are over
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    rolfness wrote: »
    strip poker!

that only works when your have 2 girls for every 1 guy :p

Not the other way around haha
  • Conor
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Space Hulk - with my essential iPhone app.

space_clock_demo.jpg
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor wrote: »
    Space Hulk - with my essential iPhone app.

space_clock_demo.jpg

this is why i'm getting a iphone when my contracts up in a couple months, apps like this
    Skulburn wrote: »
    Just one thing to mention, if your going to collect either fantasy or 40k warhammer, make sure your 100% sure of the race you choose to collect. You dont want to get bored after you paint for 100th foot infantry unit. Its entirely personal preference. But its also a good idea to pick a totally unique team to your opponent, otherwise games will become pretty samey after a while. For example, dont pick two variations of Space Marines in 40k.

Some nice race pairings that you might like:

Warhammer Fantasy:
    - Dwarfs vs. Orks
    - Empire vs. Chaos
    - Lizardmen vs. Skaven

Warhammer 40k
    - Space Marines vs. Space Orks
    - Tau vs. Chaos Space Marines
    - Imperial Guard vs. Dark Eldar

Its really a great game, depending on the money you want to spend on it, you can have a great time, just find a nice sized table, and place some scenery on it, and the battles can last ages :D

I'm probably going to start fantasy myself, looking towards the high elves :D What are the essentials, and what would i buy to create, craft and battle my army :D
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to go buy Wahammer 40k at a local game shop tomorrow! Im so excited:) Weeeeeeee! Think Im going to begin with the classic space marines and orcs, probably just the Black Reach set, unless the salesman has his way with me:) Hopefully ill have some painted figures posted in my sketchbook later this week. Anyone here have any figures they've painted and want to share? Post 'em!
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    Just purchase the High Elves Battalion set and work from there, do a google search for 500 point or 1000 point High Elf armies, that will give you a few lists of possible armies you could buy (just buy all the units in the suggested army layout, make sure to pick one you like though).

Then buy either a paint set (which comes with paints and a brush) or buy a fine and medium sized brush, some chaos black, and the colours you want to paint your men. The chaos black is a primer/undercoat.

there are other things you can buy, such as the £150 Realm of Battle gameboard, its pretty expensive, but totally worth it, i've got one and once painted up with the Scenery making set, it looks awesome and is big enough for 1500 point armies to fight.

other tools you might want to get (crafting knife, clippers, colour washes/inks, etc.)
    These just make things look better, getting rid of any marks where the model comes from the sprue.

You'll also need plastic and metal glue, and probably PVA glue for any of the unit's bases, or scenery you make.

thanks for the advice. I talked to my buddy and he actually has a spare empire army that i'm going to try out vs him.. apparently hes put about 1000$ into his dark elf army. But i'll definitely be picking up a high elf battalion/army :)
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    We should totally start a Minitures Painting thread here, technically its Game Art :P
    I'll post mine once i paint them all, i do a lot of customisation/conversion with my units, so it takes longer to get them to a decent painted state. I'll also post images of the board i've been working on at some point too.

This is a great idea, even thou i'm using my buddy's spare empire army (hes dark elf, and i will be getting high elf) until i get some spare cash... well in this case a lot of it... But any who i'm for the game miniatures thread!
  • slipsius
    axis and allies

or

risk 2210

warhammer is NOT the end all be all of table top games. its SUPER expensive, and not for the casual players.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    A little slow getting the game...But my first painted marine! Still need the Ultra insignia and squad marking, but I'm officially on my way. Thks for all the suggestions guys
    wh40k.jpg
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    munchkin.jpg

Munchkin. Fun RPG like card game that is friendly to the casual player and is pretty hilarious. Even the rulebook is funny.
  • marlfox8
    enodmi dude, is warhammer 40k difficult? i haven't played rpg's in a long time. how much dough was it?:)
  • Mark Dygert
    warhammer isnt difficult, you will end up shelling out £100-200 by the time your finished with the hobby (if you collect just one army). Painting can be hard, if your not into that sort of thing, and gluing the pieces together can sometimes be a bitch, and make you go dizzy too, so as long as you have steady hands and a window to open you'll be fine.
    Thats another reason to go with warmachine, less pieces, less cost. They're often bigger and easier to paint if you really do like painting you can take your time and not get burned out on the 4th of 40 units left to paint.

I haven't played space hulk in forever, man that would be fun.
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm off to play Warhammer fantasy at my buddies tomorrow, first match vs him to try it out. I went out and bought the High Elf Codex (lore,stats etc.) and there is a lot of interesting stuff in there, and i do LOVE Warhammer art.
  • neolith
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to get some painting done today...started my own chapter, don't have a name for them yet:( Probably will play them as both space marines and blood angels. Anyways, I really like Warhammer 40k so far, really cool universe with tons of literature on it:)

This photo is just bad:) Once I get my army finished I'll do some beauty shots. Tact squad minus the sergeant:
    wh40k4.jpg
  • Purplepaint
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on getting my first high elf battalion for Warhammer Fantasy, however if you really like 40k i suggest clicking here, definately a fun game, and im sure a few polycounters have worked on it :)
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    Skulburn - 110 units! sheesh...daunting;) Ive just finished up 14 units and that took forever, you have a lot of work ahead of you, ha
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Holy shit, guys, the most comlicated tabletop game I ever played was monopoly) nice progress on the soldierы so far. But your spec isn't really doing it for me. Maybe you should paint metal places(where the paint has worn off for example) with some see-though nail polish ^_^
    we usually play "memos" with me GF. Just a simple little game where you have to turn cards over and memorize where their pairs are.

Table top twister could be a great game to play with your girlfriend!just need to find a table big enough... but it could be a nice way to get jiggy=)
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    d1ver wrote: »
    Holy shit, guys, the most comlicated tabletop game I ever played was monopoly) nice progress on the soldierы so far. But your spec isn't really doing it for me. Maybe you should paint metal places(where the paint has worn off for example) with some see-though nail polish ^_^
    we usually play "memos" with me GF. Just a simple little game where you have to turn cards over and memorize where their pairs are.

Table top twister could be a great game to play with your girlfriend!just need to find a table big enough... but it could be a nice way to get jiggy=)

give this man a cookie !!!!!
  • Warbringerd
    Offline / Send Message
    Warbringerd polycounter lvl 9
    Not sure if this has been mentioned b4 but if you want to look into table top games go to the most comprehensive site for it. Check out http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ good luck.