Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Habboi

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Habboi sublime tool
Congratulations to the 5 winners. I hope Valve utilize the other packs that didn't win but were also top quality.

I also hope Valve make good use of mine but that's doubtful :<. I want to share the idea behind the bat now that the contest is over since it doesn't matter now.

My idea is that I wanted to make the Scout a kind of support class. When the player hits an enemy from behind the idea was that they would fall over and be stunned for say...2 seconds...and then would get up again. This would allow other players to attack the stunned player and hopefully score a kill.

To stop the Scout from continually hitting the stunned player the Scout would also be unable to attack for another 2 seconds so that he can't just "Stun, hit hit hit hit hit Kill". He would still be able to whack normally but if the player runs behind someone and manages to hit their back "hitbox" then the scout would yell "Whomp".

In a way this would make him a hybrid of the Spy and Medic since he'd have to hit from behind and stunning them "aids" the other players.

Still I hope someone finds that interesting.

thankyoupng

Theme – Keystone Kops – Habboi “William T. Nicholls”

Scouts grandfather, Charlie Conklin, was a member of the Lockstone Kops, a team of Boston cops who fought against bad guys in 1913. He has recently passed away and has appeared to Scout in vivid dreams giving him ideas on how to defeat his opponents. In his latest dream Scout has been told where to find his grandfather’s old uniform and weapons which have been stored in a trunk in his mother’s attic. These items when worn will give the Scout protection and enhanced ability to fight his foes.

Lockstone Kop Hat –
This will protect his head and carries the Lockstone Kop logo which is very similar to the Scouts icon.
Ebony Baton – This is made of hard, shiny ebony wood and is ideal for inflicting powerful blows at fast speeds.
Mean Bean Coffee Cup – When Scout drinks this it temporarily gives him a faster running speed. Scouts Motto: "Too. Much. Caffeine."
Lockstone Kop Whistle – If Scout is in danger then he can blow the whistle and summon the ghost of his grandfather to help him scare his opponents.

FINAL PRODUCT

promohabboipng

scout_promo_finalpng

Hello everyone,

I've been meaning to join this site for a while but life got in the way and this competition is exactly the push I needed.

Right, onto business.

I only just found out about this contest today and this is a great opportunity to practice my modelling and challenge my ability.

Now for my idea I have chosen to do Scout. It is difficult to come up with a theme that suits a particular class so I am quite pleased with what I have chosen although I need feedback to make sure it's alright as it's a little more modern than the time period that TF2 is set in, around 1990.

The theme is...Keystone Kops. I've changed it from British Policeman to American Keystone Kops.

Update 01

IGNORE THIS PICTURE, I HAVE SWITCHED TO KEYSTONE KOPS.

I WAS ORIGINALLY GOING WITH THE BRITISH POLICE THEME AS IT SORTA SUITED THE SCOUT AS HE RAN AND WHACKED STUFF AND SO DO POLICE.

Update 02

*edit* Yeah these stories can't be used now so it would be nice if people could help come up with names for the items or a story.

Items are:

1. Police Club (Melee)
2. Police Hat / Mustouche (Hat)
3. Coffee Cup (Atomic Drink)
4. Badge (Misc)

I understand that the Scout doesn't quite fit with the theme of British Policeman however I believe that with a background story that might change.

I have two ideas and they are:

1. Scout took a break from fighting and went on a vacation to Britain. As he was walking through London he spotted an old lady being robbed of her purse. The Scout without thinking used his trusty baseball bat and whacked his baseball with all of his might. The ball flew at a fast rate and striked the robber hard on the head.

The Scout was given praise by the police and was invited back to their building for a cup of tea and was rewarded with a special civilian police hat and club.

2. While casually walking down a street the Scout passed a baseball pitch when a pitcher yelled at him to come over and help them out. Thinking they wanted him to bat he was extremely surprised to discover their mascot was missing and that they wanted the Scout to put on their British Policeman mascot costume and cheer. After the game the team said he was the best mascot they ever had and allowed him to keep the costume as a memento.

Update 03

I've just discovered there is an American alternative to British Policemen called Keystone Kops. I'm basing my designs on that now. It looks the same really.

Update 04

batton_01png

Club thingy done for tonight. I'll look at it in-game tommorow.

concept_01jpg

Update 05

Got it in-game and in a hand so that I can make sure it looks alright. It does now. This version had a normal map with a noise filter applied which didn't suit the style of the game as most weapons are smooth so I removed it and the result can be seen in update 06.

hellohellohellopng

Update 06

coolpng

Edited the VMT settings, resized the mesh and tidied it all up. Overall I'm happy with this look and believe me when I say it got me 300 kills on a server I was playing on a few minutes ago. Can't wait to see how it looks with the other stuff.

In case you're wondering I decided to aim for a plastic look as we already have a metal and wooden bat so I thought a plastic one, like a toy, would suit the game.

Update 07

myhat_promojpg

I got the hat modelled, UV'd and put into the game today. I'm not 100% happy with the colour and you can see I based it off the picture at the bottom. I believe it suits a black suit but not the Scouts red / blue shirt so I'll mess around with it. I don't want to keep using black and I don't think a team colour can work with hats? Oh yeah and I'm also going to add a badge to make it more interesting.

PLEASE READ

I need names for my stuff. Here are some ideas I've chucked out:

Police Club

1. The Bonker
2. Boston Bonker (Turns out there's already a weapon called The Boston Basher which makes me sad :<)
3. Bonking Bronko

Coffee Drink (It is interesting to note the wiki says his motto is "Too. Much. Caffeine." Might also look at Starbucks for ideas.

1. Mean Bean Juice
2. Crazy Leg Coffee (based on glitch that was fixed a while back)
3. Crazy Caffeine
4. Caffeine Rush

Police Hat

No Names Yet

Badge

No Names Yet

Update 08

hats_colourpng

Update 09

blue_hatpng

Fixed up texture, resized star, added chin strap. All that is left is to add mustouche and then I can move on to the coffee. Yes I've switched from tea to coffee as the Scouts motto is literally "Too. Much. Caffeine." Now that's a handy coincidence.

Update 10

yaymoustachepng

It'll do for now. I might touch up on it by adding scratches and hard metal edges but I want to move on to the coffee since I unlocked the Atomic Bonk last night.

Also I am going to make a black neutral version just to show Valve they can choose. Finally the club, I changed it to be more grey with a slight tint of blue as suggested in this thread but I didn't like it. I think I'll go nearer to black but not full black. I also might bake an AO into it if the black justifies it otherwise it'll remain as a 2x2 light black diffuse.

I look forward to making the coffee.

Update 11

Today I came up with a much better idea to explain how the Scout obtains these items.

Basically the Scout had a dream about his great grandfather telling him to seek his old police uniform that's hidden in the attic of the Scouts house. He wakes up and basically finds a hidden drawer where he dons the uniform and obtains new skills that aid him in his war.

P.S. Turns out I've been spelling "Moustache" wrong. Silly me. But hey! I like to see you spell diarrhea.

Update 12

So I've worked on hat some more, added inset to star plus AO, made moustache more hair-like and started testing the coffee idea and have hit a snag. Seems the world model and view model share the same file but for some reason their origins are not the same as you can see below:

coffeejpg

Finally here's a silly pic I took while playing:

lol_smalljpg

Update 13

I thought some people might be interested in my decisions so here's a pic. PLEASE NOTE THE IDEA OF THE TOY BATON IS NO LONGER ACCURATE.

scoutpromopng

Update 14

I've changed my plans quite a bit. I've decided NOT to do a badge. I wanted to but I liked my idea of a whistle so much that I went with that. The reason I can't do a badge is because I've left myself with no more slots.

1. Baton is melee.
2. Police Hat is Hat.
3. Coffee is secondary.
4. Whistle is misc.

So where can badge go...It was going to be misc and I was gonna combine the whistle with it but I think Valve would consider that two items so oh well. I think it's a little overkill anyway and the Scout looks complete with his hat, bat and whistle.

whistlehabboipng

PLEASE NOTE THE IDEA OF THE TOY BATON IS NO LONGER ACCURATE.

With that I'm done. I'm gonna work on the textures some more for the hat but yeah...All done :O Maybe the first? D

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, British policeman is a great idea, kinda incongruous on the Scout but should be fun :)
  • Puffstoole
    The fact that the Scout's theme really doesn't suit an English policeman isn't going to win you many points. That being said, it would be pretty funny to see the Scout chug a cup of tea in the place of Bonk! Atomic Punch.
  • re.wind
    This looks awesome. Sure, its not very new-york/bronx styled, but it does actually fit the scout, to a certain degree.

moustache could be a misc item? ;D
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I've decided to change the theme from British Police to Keystone Cop to keep with the American theme and to satisfy my club fetish ;D
  • Fragus
    Scout is from Boston/New York
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Club thingy done for tonight. I'll look at it in-game tommorow.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Took me a whole day but I got it in his damn hand. I know we're not supposed to do it but I had to as I wanted to make sure it looked absolutely ok in the FP mode and it didn't so I tweaked it and I'm happy. I'll probably do coffee (instead of tea) or mustouche next.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Updated with hat.
  • Psyke
    Habboi wrote: »
    Updated with hat.
    maybe a little more smaller and/or possible chin-strap added?
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Due to his head size that's as small as I can get it without skin clipping outside of it. I barely got it in the right position. I was thinking of a chin strap but I'm a little over the budget of 800 tri's and I have yet to add the badge. Either I normal map it or model it and I don't think normal map will suit the style of the game. :(
  • Mico27
    Just a little advice, don't use pure black for texturing your bat, I'd go for a more greyish-blue tint to it instead.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Alright I'll go back to it when I've fleshed out the other stuff. It's written down on my to-do list. Reason I went for black was because we already have a metal "grey" bat and a wooden "brown" bat. So I thought black might suit it since they are technically black in real life.
  • dickless
    Team colours do work for hats, you should definatly do a red and blue version.
  • Ikimono
    the hat looks rather like a woman's hat from around that time period...
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Funny enough you're right but as my parents say, that was the fashion back then. I've also decided that it is the colours that make it seem feminine therefore I have experimented with the texture by looking at some of Valves models and I have added:

1. Red / Blue team versions.
    2. A detail texture that Valve use to add dirty marks.

I need to add the badge and I was thinking of using the Scout symbol (A shoe with wings) and making it gold like the badge. I also need to try a strap for his chin just to make it more interesting.

Check first post for new look.
  • Cheeezy
    I'd say its the lack of badge and pointed tip that makes it look feminine.
    Makes it look like this:

http://www.alphastudiossoftware.nl/fancy_vs_nasty/day2.php
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    That's actually pretty useful. Thanks! Oh yeah and they'll be a mustouche that'll make it more manly :D

Edit: Bloody hell most of these hats are a similar shape to mine. Thank goodness mine will have a badge and mustouche or it wouldn't be different at all.
  • Ikimono
  • GG_Underscore
    HAHAHAHAHA! i love it.

i like the darker police hat better. Maybe because i am American and just assume all police hats are of a dark color or maybe, i think it will read better again the TF2 color pallet. just my humble opinion. keep up the good work. can't wait to see the tea cup.

what happened to the mustache?
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hah it will do but I'm confident with the chin strap, badge and mustouche there will no longer be gender issues :)

GG_:

I'm gonna make it next (wanted to show progress at each stage) and attach it to hat because I do not believe there's a bone attachment above his mouth. Someone said make it misc but I want a badge on his chest like the TF2 Medals.

A friend suggested I have a badge similar to John Mcclane with the 881 number but I'm starting to think that's dumb since it doesn't fit with Keystone Kop.

Thanks for the feedback, it's encouraging to receive it and although my stuff are simple cylinders with fancy shaders I still think the theme will do it justice. I hope. Keep up the good work fellow competitors.

150-kangaroo-kourt-judgement.jpg

Look at how manly that judge is :D
  • Ikimono
    Look at how manly that judge is :D

He looks lost and confused, like he just got out of the shower at a retirement home lol
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Heh I can see that now that you mention it ^_^

Anyway:

Fixed up hat texture, resized star, added chin strap. All that is left is to add mustouche and then I can move on to the coffee. Yes I've switched from tea to coffee as the Scouts motto is literally "Too. Much. Caffeine." Now that's a handy coincidence.

Oh yeah and I'm probably gonna add scratches and crap on the textures to make them less clean like and boring.

Also I might go back to the club and add a hole at the bottom for a small rope. I won't jiggle it since Valve can do all the hard work :poly136:
  • chickenman
    I won't jiggle it since Valve can do all the hard work :poly136:

yeah.......... good luck with that
  • Naso
    Maybe a small clip under his chin on the hat strap?
  • Khthon
    The strap will mess with mouth animations, have it hanging undone (like the strap on Soldier's helmet) and that should fix it.

As for color, maybe darker.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I would add a small clip Naso but I'm already going over the suggested poly count and I have yet to add a mustouche. Also the smoothing groups make it look like there is already a clip there. Looks better in the actual game.

I've tried it in-game and played the taunts over and over and I see no clipping or issues with the chin strap. Remember that you do not see the hat that close either and that most clipping in models are ok since the fast action distracts the player from looking into it too much but as I said it seems fine. His chin doesn't even seem to move, just the mouth.

Also as for darker I'm gonna put that on hold as I based the colours on other hats and want to stick to what is already out there.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Chucked on moustache and have found no issues with clipping. I've played with it for a few hours : P It's funny seeing other players wearing it.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Updated with coffee picture. I'm not amused about the origin problem so perhaps some ideas. I could move it back into the middle of his hand but there would be clipping issues and even so the handle would still face in opposite directions for view and world models.

I don't know if Valve are intending to take our work and then put them in as new items with unique properties and that'd mean they could adjust the hands to work with the model otherwise I'm not sure.
  • Pogo
    You don't need to submit perfect working compiled versions of your work, so the bad origin isn't a problem for the contest, and shouldn't hurt your chances at winning.

If you want to get some nice screenshots you could compile once for view and once for world, awkward, but maybe necessary, if you can't get the compile working properly.
  • jgoodroad
    I doubt the scout would use the handle of a coffee cup, he would most likely hold the cup like a glass, that MIGHT fix your problem.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Oh man I've been at it so long I forgot we don't submit rigged models. Thanks for reminding me @_@ I think it was because the rules say something like artistic replacements XD
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I updated with some design decisions. I hope it will encourage others to come up with a story to back up their designs.

With mine it's that the Scouts grandfather, Charlie Conklin used to be a Lockstone Kop. One day his ghost invades the Scouts dreams and tells him that he needs to change his ways as he is too much of a troublemaker. The ghost tells the Scout to search for his old uniform in the attic. The Scout finds the uniform in a chest behind a wardrobe and puts it on. He also finds a toy baton and customises it by filling it with solid lead. He also finds a whistle and wears it in place of his dog tags for memories sake. Finally he finds his grandfathers old coffee cup and fills it with lots of caffeine for his addiction.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Esentially done now. I've given up the idea of a badge and will finish up the hat texture before submitting sometime soon.

It has been lots of fun and I wish the others the best of luck.
  • Ikimono
    I'm surprised, you got the hat to stop looking like a woman's hat, into a pretty decent looking helmet.
    Imo they need to be darker, royal blue ish and auburn; still it works and you know what it is.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Thanks but I submitted them like 3 weeks ago. Honestly I tweaked the colours loads and was never happy so I kept the blue the same but made the red more saturated. I used the TF2 colour scheme as a base and leave it up to Valve to do what they wish. My hope is that they at least include the hat as that is my favourite part of the pack.

Still it would be awesome to have a whistle that summons a ghost.